My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

ONT-CA ~ yes it will be nice not to see those shops at the port & the taxis.

We always like to take a week out of winter too & go south, 6 times to Cuba for me so cruising around it will be a nice change. I like to get away in Nov. too, not my favourite month.

If I'm not mistaken 70 cabins have been sold on my cruise since I checked on Monday. That seems like a lot but still leaves 163 unsold.

Have a nice day!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

I just checked out Louis Cruise's website to see if perhaps they're offering a TA before the ship comes to Cuba but didn't see anything offered past August. I wonder when the Cristal is heading across the pond, anybody know?

Ciao

That is the strangest thing. No sign of a cruise from their homeport to the Caribbean. One would think that they would take advantage of a TA and not sail over empty. However, within these found comments about the food is perhaps the reason.

"Because provisioning in Cuba can be a tricky affair, the Louis Cristal will be provisioned with Canadian beef and fresh ingredients imported from Canada.

The Louis Cristal will even have a specialty restaurant called the Albert Steakhouse, featuring dishes made with fresh Alberta beef.

But there's also heavy Cuban influence in the on-board product, from Cuban crew members (about 20 per cent of the ship's total crew complement) to authentic Cuban dishes and drinks."

Because the Louis Crystal will upon arrival at Cuba take on Cuban staff for our cruises, they will be sailing from homeport with a insufficient compliment of service staff for a TA cruise.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ very interesting!! Thanks so much for posting that. :D

Completely off topic but DH saw on the news the other night that they're offering tours of Kingston Pen to raise money for the United Way. I haven't been in a prison since Alcatraz in 1987 (fortunately;)) & am eager to see what that big old place looks like.

Have a good week!

Firstly there is affirmation in numbers as I see both our February cruises around Cuba filling. All inside taken and only a few other remaining. Good news.

The Victorian castle-like fortress of Kingston's prison strikes an interesting visual with its turrets and steeple topped rooflines. When receiving new guests to the Kingston area especially from the US, they invariably ask what the structures are. We jokingly tell them that it's Canada's Disney Land to wit they reply, "Oh"... This is followed by a closer view, a full disclosure and a bit of a laugh.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ wow that's great news about your cruises being so booked!!:D

I remember going to Kingston by bus from Toronto to meet DH on his sail boat when I first saw that lovely red roofed prison (Millhaven? Collins Bay?) I asked the driver is that a Parliament Building & he said no, a prison! Mighty fine looking prison. I got off the Kawartha Voyageur that awful rainy day the trucks came to take away the cattle.:(

Have a nice day!

Hi all!

Wow I checked the Cuba cruise website today & looks like it's really selling!!:D

The first cruise still had 95 cabins available which isn't bad out of the 300+ available. My cruise only has 36 cabins available & Feb 10 35 left.

That's pretty darn good I'd say!

I looked at the excursions & think DH & I will probably do the Tropicana one as I wanted to from our resort near Santiago de Cuba but it was over an hour drive on a crummy road in the wee hours of the morning so we passed.

Anybody else made any shore excursion reservations yet?

Have a nice weekend.

Hi all!

Oops, something's wrong!! :eek: Today when I checked the cabins available

there were 96 on the 1st cruise & 162 on mine!! Wonder what happened?!

Have a great week! Each day brings us closer to our respective cruises, no matter how many cabins are booked.;)

Seems everyone else on here is Canadian at first glance. Had a couple of great holidays doing the eastern side from Windsor up to Quebec and then another trip taking in Vancouver and doing the Rocky Mountaineer. Cousin lives in Windsor too.

Anyway we are booked with the Holiday Place in the UK to go to Cuba on 13th Feb 2014. 4 nights staying in Havana at the Telegrafo Hotel with a one day excursion taking in a half day city tour and a full day Pinardelrio and Vinales. Then we are on the cruise from 17th February 2014 for the week. The Holiday Place are their main agents in UK selling it as a whole package and are reporting good sales to me with a promise of an alternative or full refund if what they offer is not acceptable if there are any issues with the cruise not happening following their previous failures in Cuba.

Useful seeing the you tube video of the boat. Looks more up market Channel ferry than the only experience of a cruise we had with Royal Caribbean but it` the itinerary we booked for as others have said above. Anyone know how expensive the drinks are on board and if you have access to all the restaurants without paying additional fees or whether you have to?

Anyone else on here going from 14th February 2014? We are going with a couple of friends and so looking forward to it.

Hi all!

Jinky ~ welcome to this thread & Cruise Critic!:D Thanks for the info on how the cruise is being booked in the UK. ONT-CA from the Kingston area, which you might have seen on your trip to Quebec, is also going on your cruise.

You've seen some of the best parts of Canada.;)

Here's the link from the Cuba cruise website about drink packages.

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/BeveragePlan.html

We do seem mostly Canadians going on this cruise except one Balloon Man who is currently cruising, he's from Bristol UK. It's hard for Americans to go apparently.

Sounds like you have a nice vacation planned. We loved Pinar del Rio & Vinales.

Even though cruise form comments found on line applied to the Mediterranian cruises aboard Luis Cristal and were applicable to a year ago, accordingly the drink package is not a good deal, for the individual drink prices are not that bad. It will depend on the use of the package I guess.

We will be aboard the Cruistal for the February 14th cruise, which embarkes from Havana and will be for us the second portion of our back-to-back. Our confidence level has improved in that we no longer speak of "if" we cruise but "when" we cruise. Third time lucky for this Canadian group.

Hi all!

ONT-CA ~ the drink package is never a good deal for me. I don't drink enough to make it worthwhile altho' on my Alaska cruise a beverage package is included so that'll be a change.

Good attitude now saying "when" instead of "if".:D Third time's a charm could be the motto!

I wonder if Balloon Man is back from his long cruise. I see the ship is on it's way to Busan.

Have a nice week!

Hi all!

I was just reading the travel section of the Saturday Toronto Star last night & saw a 1/4 page ad from Exclusive Tours about the Cuba cruise. That should help sell some more cabins! They quote flight & hotel prices too.

Have a nice day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Balloon Man ~ welcome back!:D Had you been to Alaska before? Did you love it? Yes it does look like the cabins are selling so much more positive outlook.

My week only has 27 cabins left to book if the figures are correct.

ONT-CA ~ I was over to Hotel Dieu today & had lunch at Chez Piggy. It's still as good as I remember.

Have a nice weekend.

While currently down here in Florida I tried to find a means of air travel from Miami to Havana. No such luck. They do have such flights but for travelers other than ourselves who would need a special approval. Would have been nice though to have flown to Florida and then on to Havana. Air Canada knows how to obtain its pound of flesh...

While currently down here in Florida I tried to find a means of air travel from Miami to Havana. No such luck. They do have such flights but for travelers other than ourselves who would need a special approval. Would have been nice though to have flown to Florida and then on to Havana. Air Canada knows how to obtain its pound of flesh...

You would have to fly to Mexico or other non US islands then to Cuba

Fly to Jamaica and board at Montego Bay.

We are currently booked ( and have been for seven months) embarking at Havana. Do not want to lose our SI booking. But must see if one can fly from Montego Bay to Havana...

Well, I just spent my Saturday morning reading this entire thread. I was very excited to find it. I booked this cruise online just a few days ago for Jan 24 in Montego Bay. I was even more excited when I found it! My husband and I have wanted to see Cuba for many years and this cruise sounds perfect for us.

Hazel - looks like we will be onboard together for half of our trip.

We are flying out of BC through Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. 2 days there to experience the everglades and then on to Montego Bay 2 days pre-cruise. We have booked excursions at both stops through Viator.com. I think we will take the Vinales excursion from Havana and the Cuba Life excursion from Holguin. We are very anxious to see as much of this amazing country as possible.

Thanks for all the great information about this cruise.:)

HI all!

insider1649 ~ welcome to this thread!:D You'll be getting off the Cristal the day DH & I are boarding. Looks like you were on the Dawn the week before me last year too! A friend & I took the 14 day Quebec City to Boston & return cruise & really enjoyed it, even in an inside cabin!;)

DH & I went on a day trip from our resort to the Vinales region & were impressed with the scenery there.

I want to go to the Hummingbird Sanctuary near Montego Bay before boarding the ship or the day before.

Have a nice weekend, yucky rainy, windy day here.:(

Hi all!

Hazel ~ welcome to the thread!:D I'm going on Jan 31 so will look forward to your review if you do one. You sure are coming from far away for this cruise.

Is it well advertised there?

Have a nice weekend.

Yes, it seems to be (though I think a lot of the publicity is coming from me!). There is an agent here. I happen to know there is a group of 20 cabins of Israelis on the 24/2 sailing. Don't know how many are on the other sailings though.

Looking forward to reading the first reviews after the first people come back in Dec.

Hazel