My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

Barbara ~ sorry you weren't able to take the Louis cruise & for your loss.

Glad to hear the tracking is working.

tv24 ~ sure hope you do get a chance to go to Cuba, it's a beautiful big island.

Rikka ~ looking forward to your & others going before us reports on the cruise. We leave from Mo Bay Jan. 31 & I can hardly wait. Had to cancel an app't. in Town today because of the snow! It's been so cold & white here & it's not officially winter yet!!:eek:

~ Jo ~ :)

Jo - We are from B.C. but are spending the winter in Arizona. The weather from home sure looks depressing.

We will let you know about our experience on the Louis Crystal as soon as we can. Have a great trip yourself. Hope you have no weather delays getting from home down to the sunny south.

Hi again!

Was nice to find a tracker by Googling that shows the ship's position .

Nikka ~ oh nice. My sister has a condo TH in Phoenix which she loves.

I visited once for a week & enjoyed all that was around there especially the Luke Airshow which I understand didn't take place this year.:(

That's the worry here about making it to the airport & having a good day for the flight. Here's hoping the snow tapers off by then!!

Ciao

It's a white one here too. 1 meter of snow fell in Jerusalem over the weekend - a record!:)

Your snowfall even made the news in our London, Ontario newspaper. Above a large photo of a snow filled street, the headline read something like "Where do you think this picture was taken?" Unfortunately, most of us would have thought it was taken locally.

The silence is deafening... With one ship tracking site showing the Louis Cristal does not exist and another showing it sitting still on the north shore of Cuba for two-three days, the silence is like waiting for a space capsule to emerge from the far side of the moon. Certainly most and perhaps even all passengers aboard this inaugural cruise may not post to CC and we may have to wait until the second or third time around.

Good news - Bad news

The good news is that Cuba will convert their two currencies into one official Cuba Peso.

The bad news is that this will not happen for another 11 months.

Not looking forward to dealing with two separate currencies while ashore.

ONT-CA,

The last time we were there - 2010 - they had the two currencies but as tourists we only had to deal with one and we didn't even see any of the other. Mostly, the other currency is only for Cubans to use so there was no confusion for us. Cubans, however, may have to deal with both currencies. Of course, if you ventured out of tourist areas or into the Cuban stores which are mostly for Cubans you may find the second currency. But in the areas where the ship is expected, they will probably be prepared for tourists.

That said, things might be different further south and I've only been as far as Trinidad and Cienfuegos and that was in the 70's. A lot of things have changed since then.

Barbara

Speaking of money. I went to my bank the other day to inquire about getting some Cuban Pesos. I guess we can't do that until we get into Cuba. The bank teller was saying that they like to keep their money in the country. So, I guess we will have to hit a bank as soon as we get there. If anyone has other information, I would like to hear because I would sure like to get it before we go.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Lynn

As we understand it, one can only purchase Cuban currency while in their country. You can do that at the Havana airport upon arrival or if embarking at Jamaica, do so at your first port of call. Our hotel in Havana said they have a currency exchange in the lobby so they must be readily available. Arrival and departing fees can be made in Canadian currency.

Hi all!

ONT-CA ~ yes the tracker sites are disappointing!! The one site makes it appear that the ship's going to Piraeus.

insider1649 ~ Lynn, thanks for that very informative link.:D

When we went to Cuba in Feb there was a band playing beside the Cambio at the Santiago airport so I didn't count my Canadian bills out. I didn't get a receipt & felt like I was cheated, not a nice feeling at the start of a trip.

We always take Canadian $$ & exchange them at the Cuban airport.

I don't know if this applies at the Havana airport but at Santiago de Cuba you can purchase VIP service for $25 (CUC??) when departing whereby you get special attention at the airport, an air conditioned lounge with snacks & drinks.

Wish I was sailing now, this weather stinks!! Now they're calling for freezing rain!

My wife and I just completed our 11th Holland America cruise on Monday doing the 12 day Sea of Cortez. Cuba is another place close to our heart. A few years back we did 3 days Havana-4 days Varedero and more recently we did a 8 day coach tour around Cuba with 3 more days in Havana and then 8 days back in Varedero. This Cuba Cruise with the incredible itineries is right up our ally. We too, have had our eye on this cruise for a long time but wanted to see a successful year for this Ship. We hope to be on it this time next year. You can only get Cuban money in Cuba. it would be rare to use the local currency,all airports,hotels and banks have places to exchange your currency into CUCs. The major airports have a VIP area now which is helpful if you are new to Cuba. I always tell people not to expect the same standards as home when you are in Cuba. Expect the unexpected and go with the flow. It is not uncommon for instance in most areas not to have a toilet seat and have someone standing outside wanting you to purchase a small strip of toilet paper :). Cuba is a wonderful country with awesome people. There is much to see and experience. Like other countries they have their scams like at the money exchanges but with common sense it is a joy to go there.

I will have to find a bank once we arrive in Cienfuegos. This will be the first stop in Cuba for those of us embarking at Montego Bay.

I see the tracker has found our ship again. They are in Montego Bay Jamacia.:)

Closest to the docking area that I can tell is:

Marina Puerto Sol

Avenida 6, Cienfuegos, Cuba ‎

+53 43 551241 () · noonsite.com

"General Services; Yacht Charters & Brokers; Shore Services:

Communications; Banks; Laundry; Provisions; Transport & Travel; Computer/Photo/Video ..."

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/CienfuegosCuba.jpg

Hi everyone.

In case you are not aware there are outbreaks of Cholera and Dengue Fever in Cuba at the moment.

I doubt you will experience any risk area but take your precautions. Maybe get vaccination??

We are getting our vaccination for our 2 weeks trip in January.

Vesselfinder.com shows Louis Cristal in Havana at 19.48 UTC (universal time coordinated or GMT) today, Monday 23 December. Presumably about to start her second cruise. Pity the cruise company doesn't have any updates on its web site. The silence is deafening.

HI all!

Balloon Man ~ it would be nice if someone from the 1st cruise would report but I don't think anyone on this thread was on it.

ONT-CA ~ How did you make out with the storm? We lost power for 68 hours

but fortunately have propane so had heat & could cook.

I had plenty of time to catch up on my magazine reading & saw a story in the CAA magazine about a cruise around Cuba on a 3 masted ship but don't know what size or what month. They missed a few ports due to weather, so hope that doesn't happen to us.

Merry Christmas!

The Hydro was secured thankfully but we were unable to leave the house with the ice build-up. It took a full size front loader to open up the driveway without which there would not have been a turkey for tomorrow.;)

Sent off a message to the company that set up our cruise to see if there were any problems with the inaugural sailing. They were surprised at my asking replying that everything went well and they too look forward to a review by a passenger.

Merry Christmas to all :)

Vesselfinder.com shows Louis Cristal in Havana at 19.48 UTC (universal time coordinated or GMT) today, Monday 23 December. Presumably about to start her second cruise. Pity the cruise company doesn't have any updates on its web site. The silence is deafening.

If you go into the Facebook page on their web site there are some updates.

Happy Holidays everyone!

"Easier to get flights to Jamaica" and this from a Canadian poster??? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how many flights leave out of Toronto for Cuba every single day? Holguin, Habana, Santiago, Cienfuegos? Every day!

But are these not charter flights, part of vacation packages? When we booked the Cuba Cruise out of Havana we hadn't reviewed the flight arrangements. Those who moved quickly were able to secure a very favourable airfare. By the time we began to finalize our trip Air Canada had doubled their fare to Havana and with but one flight per day. The return flight to Toronto is at 7:00am and as a result disembarking ship passengers will have to stay one night in Havana in order to fly AC home. Booking the cruise out of Jamaica would seem to facilitate air travel.

But are these not charter flights, part of vacation packages? When we booked the Cuba Cruise out of Havana we hadn't reviewed the flight arrangements. Those who moved quickly were able to secure a very favourable airfare. By the time we began to finalize our trip Air Canada had doubled their fare to Havana and with but one flight per day. The return flight to Toronto is at 7:00am and as a result disembarking ship passengers will have to stay one night in Havana in order to fly AC home. Booking the cruise out of Jamaica would seem to facilitate air travel.

ONT-CA is absolutely correct. There may be lots of charter flights for packages, but only AC flies into Habana.

I agree. We got a flight out of Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale and then FL to Montego Bay. Those 2 flights saved us enough to pay for the 2 day layover to see the everglades. And in January chances are better of not having weather issues in Seattle rather than Toronto. I wish we could have started in Havana but just too inconvenient and costly.