My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Me again!

Kim - thanks so much for that bird info. How lucky you were to see the Tody! I sure hope I do too. Lovely picture of the

ship entering Havana too.

Did you eat somewhere in Montego Bay, Scotchies perhaps?

Whenever we've stayed at resorts in Cuba or Mexico toilet tissue always had to go in the container. Strange to hear it's the same on the ship but then it is from Cyprus so maybe they have the same way of doing things.

Jo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much for your wonderful report. Those of us still waiting to go are hungry for all this information. It is perfect; along with your English. I was in Sweden just this past September and was amazed at how well everyone there speaks English. Loved your country, by the way!

" We also visited a local farmer and a "indian village". This is the excursion that I am anxious to take. It sounds like it will be great. I wonder if you know where those boarding in Montego Bay got their money exchanged. Was there somewhere at the pier or did the have to go into the city?

Thanks again Kim.:)

Thank you everyone!

If I understand it right so has it been problem with the vaccum system onboard and because of that you should not putting toilet paper in the toilet.

It was possible to change money at Cienfuegos, Havana and Santiago at the pier. So that's nothing you have to worried about.

Hi from Sweden!

Or should I say: ¡Hola amigos!

Here is a short report from the Cuba Cruise.

I apologize for my bad English, but I hope that you will understand something. ;)

Together with around 140 passengers, I and my familjy boarded the nice looking Louis Cristal in Havana, 30th December. (40 passengershad already embarked at Montego Bay some Days before). The passengers came from 27 different countries, most of them from Canada and the Nordic countries. (Two Groups of each 30 persons from Denmark and Finland, but we were the only swedes. The embarking went very smooth. We got our boardingcards and went onboard.

The first impression of the ship was good, the ship was clean and the professional staff gave us the best service from the first moment. Except from the original Louis Cruise crew so was a lot of cubans present in the restaurant and entertainment departments.

Our cabin was a deluxe (XF) on deck 7, which was of high standard. Maybe a bit too small for 3 persons. You shold also remember to throw the toilet paper in the dustbin and not in the toilet, not so easy....

Every dinner took place in the main restaurant "La Scala" with one open sitting, normally between 7-9.30 PM. You could even pay 39 Canadian dollars to eat at the Alberta steakhouse. But the food in La Scala was very good, with both Canadian, European and Cuban dishes, so we found it unnessesary to pay more for some steaks.

In the metropolitian lounge was the showtime every night, at two ports (Cienfuegos and Santigao) came local entertainments onboard. But it was a lot of cuban music even at the other shows.

And a fast describing of the ports we visited:

Antilla

Here we anchored at the bay of Nipe and took the ships tender boats to the quay. We participated on the excursion to the place where Columbus first landed on Cuba. We also visited a local farmer and a "indian village". A very informative excursion. I would like to spend more than a half hour on the beach, but you can't catch everything.

Santiago de Cuba

We arrived after breakfast and took a taxi to the El morro castle. (For just 20 CUC for a half day!!) What a view you have there! The rest of the day did we spend in the city. Santiago is not as Beautiful as Havana and Cienfuegos, but there are som interesting buildings.

Montego bay

Jamacia is probably not the cheapest place in Caribbean and it's close to the oppostite to Cuba. But we rent a taxi that took us to the Rockland Bord Sanctuary, an Amazing experience to come so cole to the hummingbirds. Then we snorkeled in Montego bay Before we head back to the ship.

Cienfuegos

As we left cuban waters at the last port, we had to buy new visas before entring Cienfuegos. Here we dicided us to visit the Botanical garden, outside the city. A lot of trees and flowers, and pretty good paths to walk on. In the afternoon we walked around in the center, much calmer here than the other cities.

Isla de la juventud

Unfortunately our stop at Isle of youth were cancelled, due strong winds. I had look forward for a whole day at the beach.

DSC_0442%20-%20kopia.jpg

Louis Cristal entering Havana.

More Pictures will come!

Thank you for your time! Feel free to ask any questions.

Best regards

Kim Viktor

Thanks for your great review. My husband and I are boarding this ship in Montego Bay on Friday. Your account of the ports gave us a lot to think about. It sounds as if your ship was half empty. That is a concern because we would really like this company to make a success of this itinerary. Were there really so few people on-board your sailing??

Thanks for your great review. My husband and I are boarding this ship in Montego Bay on Friday. Your account of the ports gave us a lot to think about. It sounds as if your ship was half empty. That is a concern because we would really like this company to make a success of this itinerary. Were there really so few people on-board your sailing??

We couldn't agree more with your hopes that this company succeed. If you are referring to the MB departure of January 17th then there are as yet some 150 or so cabins unsold which is much better than the December sailing. And our sailing in February is better yet. It takes time to get the message out that is why it is so important for us to write a review. There are many Americans who would love to join us and with current news items about improved relations between these two countries, they may soon will.

Yes I was surprised to, I had wait me around 500 passengers onboard. But I hope it will get better! In the evenings it was empty in most of the bars and one of the main restaurants was closed e.t.c.

We want to thank everyone who is posting on this forum. It has been very informative - and frequently entertaining! We've picked up so much useful information from everyone. The people posting here are so polite, and friendly. I wish you were all sailing with us this Friday! I'd love to meet you all.

We are going to try to post along the way but realize WIFI is an issue. I will certainly post my review as soon as possible once we get internet access.

Thanks again everyone

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Rikka, wishing you a great sail away and a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage. And with regards to your observation, and with all due respect for all contributions to this site, I am compelled to paraphrase a favourite Shakespearian line, "We few, we happy few, we band of Canucks..."

We want to thank everyone who is posting on this forum. It has been very informative - and frequently entertaining! We've picked up so much useful information from everyone. The people posting here are so polite, and friendly. I wish you were all sailing with us this Friday! I'd love to meet you all.

We are going to try to post along the way but realize WIFI is an issue. I will certainly post my review as soon as possible once we get internet access.

Thanks again everyone

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Rikka, my friend and I are boarding in Havana next Monday. If you leave me a note at the Guest Relations desk on Monday with your room number, I'll get in touch with you. Perhaps we can meet up on Monday evening or Tuesday.:D

Happy Sailing

Hazel Perez

Hi all!

Rikka ~ thanks for the compliment & have a great cruise!:D

doublebzz ~ it would appear from the TA thread that one person from New York is booked & one from Alabama sailed.

Kim Viktor ~ thanks so much for your comments. I love that picture of Cristal sailing into Havana, it's beautiful. Looking forward to more photos when you have time.

Counting the days until it's our turn to go.

~ Jo ~ :)

HI again!

I looked at the TA thread posted here on page 16 but by Googling have found another.

Here it is:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.html

Thanks for the link Jo.

This trip really does sound amazing. I am even more excited and feeling very privileged. I'm packing today!

Lynn:D

Yes, I saw that too but they could be residing in Alabama as foreign nationals. Of course, some believe all Alabama residents are foreign nationals.

Good'un. As I understand the travel conditions, a US citizen could well take this cruise out of Jamaica and go ashore at any and all ports as long as they do not engage in commerce within the country. But as all costs including shore excursions are payable to Cubacruise Inc. Calgary, Canada, this condition is then met. I note that even the intended gifts that accompany the family in question were purchase outside of Cuba, again meeting the criteria.

Good'un. As I understand the travel conditions, a US citizen could well take this cruise out of Jamaica and go ashore at any and all ports as long as they do not engage in commerce within the country. But as all costs including shore excursions are payable to Cubacruise Inc. Calgary, Canada, this condition is then met. I note that even the intended gifts that accompany the family in question were purchase outside of Cuba, again meeting the criteria.

Perhaps. My wife is a U.S. citizen of Cuban birth and will not be admitted to any Cuban ports without a special license by the Cuban government so this eliminates the cruise for us. This is probably true of Canadian citizens of Cuban birth as well but I'm not sure. When will all this nonsense stop?

HI again!

I found another Cuba cruise thread under TA forums. There's quite a lengthy & not so positive review here.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k6451964-Re_launched_Cuba_circumnavigation_cruises_Louis_Crista

doublebzz ~ your "bama" comment made me lol!:D That's too bad you won't be able to do the cruise with your DW. Did I read somewhere that Cubans are not allowed on the cruise? Hopefully things will change in the not too distant future.

Hello from onboard Cuba Cruise's Louis Cristal!

Just wanted to quickly check in here and post the link that I was able to get posted today, but I see ONT-CA beat me to it :)

Spotty Wi-Fi connectivity remains the only real downside to what has been a truly remarkable voyage. What has impressed me particularly are not my own observations, but those relayed to me by other guests - many of whom have cruised dozens of times on other lines. It seems I am not the only one to have had my expectations exceeded.

To say there is nothing else like Cuba Cruise on the market is an understatment; as I mention in today's post, Louis Cristal might be a mainstream ship, but there is nothing 'mainstream' or 'typical' about this cruise. The staff are some of the best I've ever sailed with, and the food is generally good to very good. It's not Relais & Chateaux - few things are - but it's darn good.

I hope to resume daily posts - starting with embarkation day in Montego Bay - beginning this Friday when I disembark. Although Wi-Fi is back, it remains spotty at best, particularly for what I use it for. Wired internet works but can be extremely slow. But don't let that worry you - you're going to be too busy enjoying Cuba to care.

If there are any questions about the voyage or the cruise, let me know and I will do my best to answer as soon as possible.

Signing off from the Louis Cristal off the coast of Cuba,