My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi All,

My husband and I are booked on the Jan 6th sailing, after a couple of days in Havana. One week to go, Yeah! We are from Ottawa (although born and bred Albertans) and booked in November. Then came Christmas. Getting back in the groove and with all our e-docs in hand are ready. We are staying in Varadero for 4 day post cruise. If I get a chance, I'll post a few lines mid-cruise to let you know how it goes.

Janet

Hi all!

496and706 ~ I think maybe that was me you're quoting & I stick by those words. ;) It was easier to get a non stop flight to Mo Bay than Havana.

We're going A/C Rouge for the 1st time.

insider1649 ~ wow that'll be a lovely trip for you. I'm just hoping this winter gets better in January as it could be dicey driving to Toronto for the flight. Your count is coming along nicely & I go the week after you so that's exciting for me!

Janet ~ that would be great if you could post some impressions of the cruise.:D Nice holiday you have planned too. Have you been to Cuba before?

Did you have power outages in Ottawa?

I have the Duolingo app on my Iphone so am trying to learn some Spanish. I have gotten along before with pretty much Hola, gracias etc & don't really think I'll need it but it's fun to do.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo~ :)

Hi All, ...If I get a chance, I'll post a few lines mid-cruise to let you know how it goes.

Janet

Great ID handle; On y va! Immediately took me back to my days in Montreal. Yes, any communication from the cruise would be most helpful. Like all new adventures there are bound to be hiccups and any forewarning in sidestepping them is always appreciated.

Yes we have been to Cuba before, a week in Varadero and day in Havana. We are excited to be going back to the capital, such a great city, full of atmosphere and interest. Also excited to see the other areas of Cuba. I had been trying to figure out which to go to (Santa Maria or Cienfuego) and then the Cruise popped up as a great 'taster'. The big thing is how safe we feel to wander around and how friendly the people are.

We got a little freezing rain but nothing like Toronto et al did. We had 40 cm of snow; a few electrical outages, but really it was not much different from many other storms we've had most winters. I checked temps in our Cuba ports. It is much hotter than the last time we were there, although same time of year. Guess I'll have to revise my packing list!

Janet

Good morning On y va ........ how exciting that our cruise days will overlap, as we will board Jan. 10 in Montego Bay :o - we are from London, Ont. The ice storm missed us completely, we just had some snow fall where we live.

Wish someone who has sailed on the Cristal already would post some reflections about their cruise experience. Nevertheless, we are looking forward to this little escape from winter in SW Ontario! We are going with open minds, look forward to making new cruise friends, and plan to really enjoy ourselves!!!!!!

Happy, healthy 2014, everyone!

Hi kahlolin,

Good to know we'll 'know' someone on the ship. We should try to connect. We have an obstructed outside suite on the starboard side (to be able to see Cuba as much as possible) of deck 5.

Have you considered excursions? We have looked at the list but haven'e settled on anything yet. Our TA has indicated that we just book on board but I am sure that if I could log into My Cuba Cruise page, we could do so on-line, as we do with other lines, .....but we cannot log in because you need the e-mail address that booked the ticket and that was the travel operator. It is not a huge issue but I will be interested to know if we could have done some pre-planning. We are hoping just to do informal exploring in some of the ports. We've done privately organized with other cruises but haven't done too much research this time. The timelines have been short.

Janet

Hi all!

Love to quilt ~ thanks so much for that info, very interesting.:D

Janet ~ I booked through my TA who used Air Transat & said I'd have to book excursions through her. I just got my e-Ticket, very simple just one page! Nice that you & kahlolin will be cruising together.

Have a good week!

~ Jo ~ :)

I thought I had read somewhere that your excursions had to be booked before you got on the ship. I just assumed that was because Cuba probably isn't totally organized for the excursions and must need some notice. I have been talking to the 1-800 # in Toronto. I think I'll phone them again and ask if I can book the excursions through them or if I have to go through my TA.

Hi everyone

Check out Trip Advisor. Type in New Way to Cruise Cuba. There are about 36 posts on the subject but #31 just got back from the cruise. they've written some interesting information about side trips etc. They enjoyed the cruise.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue how to access this information. Could someone please cut and paste the #31 posting in question here on this forum.

Edited by ONT-CA

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Search?q=New+Way+to+cruise+to+cuba&geo=&pid=3825&returnTo=http%253A__2F____2F__www__2E__tripadvisor__2E__ca__2F__

Wow, I hope this works. I'm not very computer savy and have never done this before. LOL! Click on New Way to Cruise to Cuba

Edited by Love to quilt
adding more info

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Search?q=New+Way+to+cruise+to+cuba&geo=&pid=3825&returnTo=http%253A__2F____2F__www__2E__tripadvisor__2E__ca__2F__

Wow, I hope this works. I'm not very computer savy and have never done this before. LOL! Click on New Way to Cruise to Cuba

I'm as lost as ever but that's par for the course...

Should anyone find the item in question could you please just paste it to this site. Thanks

Hi everyone

Check out Trip Advisor. Type in New Way to Cruise Cuba. There are about 36 posts on the subject but #31 just got back from the cruise. they've written some interesting information about side trips etc. They enjoyed the cruise.

Tried your search and got 3,305 posts! Also tried the link, but it's not there either. What's the heading on the specific post? I'll try to do a search with that. Thanks

Thanks for the directions leading to some valuable information. I see that the counterbalance to the ease and lower costs of embarking from Jamaica is the loss of time in seeing Havana. Embarking from Havana will give us much more time to see the city pre and post cruise. The poster did a great job in detailing individual tours but I had to remind myself that this was during Christmas week. Ship organized tours remain a mystery and we look forward to a critique about these. The brief coverage of life aboard the ship raised more questions in our minds but of course the main attraction of this cruise is the country being visited.

Someone named Andrew did a fine review and posted. I have pasted it below. So need to try following the links above.

My son and I did the Cuba Cruise embarking in Jamaica between 20th Dec - 27th Dec. It was overall a good experience. The staff were friendly and the service good. The shore excursions offered by Louis Cristal seemed to be well planned, but not always with families in mind.

At the first port in Cienfuegos, we expected to see a cambio on the port to facilitate exchanging dollars/euros for CUC's. We had to go into town, and found a western union near to hotel boutique la union ($3 CUC bicitaxi). It would be great if Louis Cruises can request a cambio here, as is the case in santiago. The ship offered a guide to assist guests in changing currency in Cienfuegos, but only if a shore excursion was booked through the ship. Things to do in Cienfuegos include ferry to jaguar castle (taxi to hotel pascaballo), dolphin show at 2:00pm (taxi CUC $10), craft at jose marti park and calle 27, cinemas near to park, afternoon music in the park. Taxis may be found near to the hotel or park.

Isle of Youth was disappointing, as a beach with few craft vendors was the highlight. There is a turtle hatchery aprrox. 20km away, but no transport from the park. I do not think that a beach day is interesting to caribbean passengers (we see them all the time), and it would be great if Louis Cruises could arrange scooter, jeep rentals or bicycle tour at the park, for those passengers who wish to explore. Though the time spend at the isle of youth is short (approx 4 hours), I think that for those who are more adventurous, this would be an option.

Havana was great, but impossible to see all places of interest in one day. I tried to find "kids" activities for my son by visiting the chocolate museum (use the pedestrian crossing in front of the terminal, and walk straight ahead and look to your left..2nd intersection..I think), took a taxi to the zoo (which was closed ), then to Lenin Park for boating (which was also closed), and in desperation checked Expo (which I knew was closed, but was in the area). The main craft market was the next stop (turn left once outside the cruise terminal and walk for 10 minutes until you see trains at the entrance to the craft market). We also visited the four forts; cross at the pedestrian crossing in front of the port and turn right (Castle of the Royal Force was closed), San Salvador is free, and a taxi is required (coco and bici taxis are not allowed in the havana tunnel) to make the tunnel crossing to morro castle, then walk to la cabana (5 minutes). A more interesting trip may be to take the ferry to Casablanca, and come back to town via taxi through the tunnel. There is live cannon fire at la cabana at 8:30pm. Other places visited were the museum of guns, museum of the revolution and the granma memorial. There is a market (mostly old books) near to Havana Cathedral (beside castle of the royal force) where pictures may be taken with cubans in national costumes. There are numerous places in Havana to listen to live music, and though probably not for families, there are many cabaret shows.

The next port was Antilla, near to Holguin province. There is not much to do in Antilla, and trips to Holguin or Guardalavaca are recommended. We went to Rio de Sol Luna y Mares on a day pass, as it was Xmas Day, and we wanted to do something special. It is approx. 52 km from Antilla (1hr 15 minutes drive). The journey is scenic and relaxing, passing through farming villages on the way to the coast, but some of the roads are not great, particularly near to the sugar cane farms (similar to Trelawny roads near Long Pond). Note that there are other hotels in this area, but the best one was adults only. The ship provided tours to Holguin and the dolphinarium at Guardalavaca. As we had already been to see the dolphins at Cinefuegos, this was not an interesting option. Taxis can be found outside the pier gate. I suggest taking a Lada and negotiating a day rate (between CUC $70 - CUC $80), as the old american cars are twice as expensive. There are not many taxis (I counted approx. 20), so if you are adventurous plan to leave on the first tender (this may not be easy as the guests who book excursions with the ship are first off).

Santiago does not have as much to see as Havana, but is also very interesting. There are many bici taxis, but walking through the town gives a better picture of cuban life. Casa de Habano (cigar shop) is in front of the port, but was closed. The Clandestine Museum is 10 minutes walk away from Port (great history of the cuban revolution), the museum of rum tour (another 10 minutes walk) was great and ends with rum tasting (best priced rum), the bacardi museum (near to Parque Cespedes) was closed (hopefully will reopen) . Parque Cespedes is a great environment, with live music and historical buildings. Taxis can be found north of the Park. We took a taxi from here to Castillo de Roca (CUC $15 round trip), which was probably the most beautiful fort that we saw in Cuba. There is also a cinema near to the Park. On return to the Port, there is a vendor that sells rum, cigars, coffee. Ensure that you are within the limit for cigars, and get a receipt. Note that vebdors hardly give receipts in cuba, but a cigar receipt is a must, or you may be embarassed by customs on port. A mobile cambio was at the Santiago Port, where your remaining CUC's can be exchanged, as the govt. states that CUC's should not be taken out of Cuba. A few coins are OK.

There were suggested dining "dress codes" for different ports of the cruise, which were not communicated beforehand. The dress codes were as follows; Jamaica-casual, Cienfeugos-casual, Isle of Youth-elegant, Havana-casual:all white, AT SEA-Gala, Antilla -Casual, Santiago-casual

I wish to mention again that we had a good time, and would recommend the cruise. Special mention of Racquel in Housekeeping and the great service of the restaurant staff. Remember that you will need a tourist visa for cuba (ask a travel agent or the cuban embassy) and medical insurance for the cruise (which may be found online http://www.assistur.cu)

Edited by DUHCAR

Hi all!

DUHCAR ~ thanks for posting the whole review. Funny to see wear all white at Havana. Do they have a "White Hot Party" like on NCL?:rolleyes:

Going to have to take a look at the excursions & decide what to do. We've seen quite a bit of Havana so getting on at Montego Bay won't be a problem for us. I've also been to Santiago de Cuba a couple of times & have never been able to go in the Church on the square as it was closed to the public due to black marketing.

Just a month from today 'til DH & I leave this frigid (-15C) place for warmer climes! I can hardly wait!

Happy New Year to all!

Hi all! DUHCAR ~ thanks for posting the whole review. Funny to see wear all white at Havana. Do they have a "White Hot Party" like on NCL?:rolleyes:

When I first read this I though of a white business shirt, which for me would be most inappropriate for several reason the Marinara sauce being but one...:D I was enjoying the thought that the tux didn't have to accompany us on this cruise. But then I remembered this:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/07/25/guayabera/

So for we gents who want to follow the dress code and yet remain casual and confortable, this can be an answer. It will be for me.

Just wondering .......... does anyone know if they will accept Canadian $$$'s for taxi's, tips, etc. or is it mandatory to exchange our money? I assume we would be able to tip in Cad. $$$'s on the ship (room steward(ess), waiter(ress) ???????? :rolleyes:

You will need to change your money to pay taxi drivers etc. As far as tips I've always been told we should tip in the currency of the country so they don't have to make arrangements to change the money to their currency. I thought the cruise ship was making suggestions for the daily tip and you could just add that to your bill at the end of the cruise. In Vietnam some locals had been tipped with toonies and loonies. When they found out we were Canadian they asked us if we could change the money for them which we were glad to do. Coin is of no use to anyone in another country.

While aboard the Louis Cristal your daily gratuity/tip/service charge, whatever, will be charged to your account. Should you wish to give additional to your steward and/or waitserver or in tipping for room service, I would think that either currency is acceptable but as noted, never in coin. As the smallest Canadian paper bill is a five (5) I would think having CUC's at hand would be an advantage.;)

While ashore however, it is requested by the Cuban government to not deal in Canadian dollars but only CUC's although I have heard that service people might request dollars due to a black market advantage. In the equation of their two-currency market you can bet that I will not be adding Canadian currency as a third :D

Hi again!

Those guayabera shirts look nice!;)

DUHCAR ~ don't even mention Togas! My Dad took my siblings & me to Cuba months before he passed away & we went to a toga party at the resort. One guy lost his & substituted with a palm frond, good for the front but didn't do a thing for the back.:D

Here's another review I found on TA forums:

Went on the first Cuba Cruise from Havana. This is the first time I had great service and dining in Cuba. On my last day we treated ourselves to Prime Rib at the upcharge restaurant. The ship is very nice, the staff incredibly helpful and friendly and all the passengers I spoke to had just a great time. I have been to Cuba several times and this is by far the best way to get around. Besides the great food, surprisingly the shows were really good. They had Canadian Circus artists on board and picked up Cuban artists at 3 ports which kept if very fresh. All the ports were great and at Punta Frances, we had an incredible beach all to ourselves. Oh and almost forgot, Canadian beer on board. I would highly recommend this cruise if you love everything about Cuba but the food and want to see more of it.

It was better when one could tip in US dollars as a Canadian $5 is too much for most occasions IMO.

It's getting exciting now we're hearing a bit about it.