My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ I'm with you there about having enough of winter! This is starting out to be the worst one I remember since coming to the County 27 years ago.

I'm hoping to go to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary in Montego Bay before we board Cristal. Has anybody been there? I love seeing birds especially those amazing Cardinals that sometimes come near our bird feeder.

You who are sailing away on Friday must be getting excited! Hope you have an amazing time & come here or to TA to tell us all about it. I'm so looking forward to your blog, Aaron.

Have a great week!

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ I'm with you there about having enough of winter! This is starting out to be the worst one I remember since coming to the County 27 years ago. ...~ Jo ~ :)

If ever there was a winter to sail away to Cuba this has got to be it. Each front that passes through brings the worst it has to offer. A thaw this morning followed immediately by a deep freeze making the roads skating rinks. I hope all those sailing out of Havana tonight chose to arrive at least a day before. Is there a plus to sailing around Cuba? Should you miss a sailing, could one be able to hop over to the next port of call and board there?

With the view to establishing the permissible limits of alcohol beverages accompanying us, we found the following:

http://autenticacuba.com/getting-there/#axzz2pdit9gBJ

I trust Louis Cristal will not impose further restrictions for, as other line are now discovering, that policy is costing them booking business (certainly mine).

Louis Crystal has a policy: See

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/gallery/gallery_images/editorial-icons/FAQpassengers_V2.pdf

Can I bring my own alcohol onboard?

No. If alcohol is purchased off the ship, when reboarding we will store your

beverages until final disembarkation

Thanks for this information (warning). But at least they will not just destroy it as the others are currently doing.

With or without my favourite libation...

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/cat.jpg

Hi again!

wu687 ~ thanks so much for this info. Drinks look a bit dear but we don't drink much so that shouldn't be a problem.;) Looks like we may have to pay a Jamaican exit tax too if I read it correctly.

ONT-CA ~ are you flying from Toronto? I am a bit worried about our 3 hour drive there, fingers crossed for a good day. Was Holguin a place they said there was an airport? Otherwise it might be tricky catching a plane to the next port.

Today I got all my travel info out from my other trips to Cuba so I can study to help me choose shore excursions. DH wants to go to the Tropicana

show in Havana & so do I, other than that no decisions have been made.

We just found out Air Canada cancelled our 7 AM flight from Vancouver to Toronto and the 8 AM flight only gives us an hour for the Havana connection. We were leaving Feb 7th and spending 3 nights in Havana prior to our Feb 10th departure. We are now spending the night of the 6th in Torono so we're sure to make our flight. We had a free night with our Best Western card so I guess that was lucky.

Does anyone know if sports jackets need to be taken for the cruise? We have never cruised before and we're hoping this will be a little more casual than other cruises.

~ Jo ~We are flying into Havana on the 8th of February not only as an extra precaution but in order to see more of Havana than the time given us after disembarkation. The flight from Toronto is late afternoon and we plan on an early drive that day. A lot of unknowns about the weather. I read that the Cuban airline Cabana fly from Havana to many cities on the island and I assume they are small plans. quote "At Cuba Destino Caribe, we are able to book a domestic flight Havana, Holguin, Santiago de Cuba or to any destination in Cuba. For a one way or round trip domestic flight Havana - Santiago de Cuba, Holguin, Camaguey, and all the major Cuban cities. We use the services of Cubana Airlines, Aero Caribbean and Aerogaviota for our domestic flight arrangements."

Can you please enlighten us on the Tropicana Show please?

Love to quilt, there certainly is no formal evening and the dress code in general is "smart casual", no shorts and no sandals. We will endeavour to purchase the guayaberas shirts for those special evenings ("White Night") and we will not be taking jackets. I think this company is making the right move in making it a very casual and relaxing cruise

Edited by ONT-CA

ONT-CA- we went to the Tropicana show about 10 years ago so I wasn't sure if we should go again or go to the Parisienne show. We are travelling with another couple who have never been. After talking to the couples we travelled with 10 years ago they all said they would go to the Tropicana show again which was my thoughts anyway. Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ you'll just be heading out to your vacation the day after we return (if all goes well). Did you see on the news last night about the planes from Cuba bound for Montreal landing at Fredericton?:eek::eek:

I don't know much about the Tropicana show but think it's a Las Vegas type extravaganza with Cuban music & costumes. I'll have to Google to see what people wear there, maybe they dress up.

Love to quilt ~ that's an endorsement for the show if you'd go again. Do you remember if you dressed up?

BTW DH isn't taking a sports coat either. He'll probably just wear a dress shirt & dark pants (I hope) rather than his usual jeans.:o

Have a nice day. Crummy weather again here & the school buses are cancelled.

Retiring soon- When we went to the Tropicana we were on a big bus day tour from Varadero (we've learned a lot since then). We toured Havana all day then they took us to a hotel, gave pairs of couples a room to shower etc. fed us dinner, took us to the Tropicana and then back to Varadero about 3 AM. Seeing has we had our change of clothes in a back pack I don't think we were dressing up very much. It was sort of like a glitzy Vegas show but something you would expect to see back in the day. From a distance they all looked great. Close up there was duct tape holding costumes together. The show gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and some people say it is a "touristy must do" while in Havana.

Hi I am a Travel Agent in Canada and as soon as I could book this cruise I jumped on it. It was pricey but I wouldn't be able to see so much of Cuba in one shot for any cheaper. I am not a Veradero resort person so this was the best way. I am sailing on Jan 27 from Havana. I had to book my air myself using Air Canada Jazz. They had the best prices. We are staying at the Occidental Miramar (not sure if I made the right choice there but Oh well I guess I will find out). I know that now there are several companies (Hola Sun) that are offering packages for air, hotel, transfer for this cruise. I had already booked before they came out with this. I will review this cruise when I get back. :D

...I'll be onboard the January 10-17 voyage, and I will be blogging about it daily:

http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2013/12/23/live-voyage-preview-circumnavigating-cuba-cruise/ If anyone has any questions while I am onboard, I'll do my very best to answer them! -Aaron

I am pleased that you did not choose this, the previous week to your planned voyage considering the weather Cuba and we have been having. Comparatively speaking, Cuba's cold snaps are no way inimitable to ours, however the returning warmth to the Caribbean at weekend can only add pleasure to your cruise.

HI all!

BLaliberte ~ welcome to Cruise Critic & this roll call.:D We'll be getting on when you reach Montego Bay. I booked this way back in July when nobody seemed to be offering package deals. I'm also flying A/C, but rouge.

ONT-CA ~ I sure hope none of us Ontarians gets a week like this before our cruise!:eek: Pearson airport looks bad!

Love to quilt ~ thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a busy/fun day before the show.;) I did check out TA & we'll book Tropicana while onboard.

Only 2 more days until the blog begins!

Well, two nights from tonight we should be sitting on the top deck of the Cristal, enjoying the warm sea air and the stars!!!!! I checked this morning and all the outbound flights to Florida, Jamaica, and Cuba left as scheduled from Pearson, so we are all ready to go. Cannot wait! :)

Saw a news item which stated that American diplomats are in trade talks with the Cubans in Havana right now .......... so things are bound to change very soon with regard to tourism in Cuba, we believe. I am very happy that we decided to take this cruise. We are so looking forward to a good time, and making new friends aboard. Imagine - a whole week away from ice and snow! Wow! :o

I know there are folks blogging - I will give my unprofessional views re. the cruise when we return.

I have been almost living on the net in search of as much information as I can find for our impending arrival in Cuba. I'm surprised to find that Rum is not the only distilled spirit they make there for they have Vodka and they have Gin. Hints tells us that as there are no duties on these products, there is little point of dealing with a Duty Free shop but rather purchase by price as retailed. When priced at approx five dollars Canadian for a 750ml bottle one can purchase a bottle, make a couple of drinks and leave the balance behind and still come out ahead of the game. And although not necessarily our pleasure, who would have thought that there would be a Fish and Chips shop in Cienfuegos called The Gin Palace?

As it has been 34 years since my last visit to Cuba I expect to see more than a little change. It is said that one should see Cuba now before the changes that are now being made alter the nation. Having seen the USSR and then returned to visit Russia some years later I can well understand just what they mean.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ that was a long time ago you went to Cuba but in a place like that I don't think there would be many changes. If they open it up to the USA then things will change for sure.

I see Aaron has started his blog dealing with the flight, arrival & hotel in Montego Bay. As we're flying Rouge I was very interested in his comments.

Tonight's sailaway!

Have a great weekend! Should be wet & warmer at this end of the lake.

How unfortunate for Aaron Saunders and for us that they are having trouble with their Wi-Fi aboard the Louis Cristal. But he did manage to get out a short review ( http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2014/01/ Click on January 2014) which is heartening to read. I do hope they will be able to repair the problem shortly as a day-to-day review is always more tantaisng than a full daily series given at the conclusion.

Aaron, should you connect today or at the end of the cruise we want to thank you for all your efforts in keeping us informed.

HI all!

ONT-CA ~ thanks for bringing the blog to our attention.:D Too bad the wifi's down but what a great first impression of the ship he had. His impression of Mo' Bay wasn't that good. I wonder what he did 'til it was time to board.

Thinking back to the 1st time we went to the Santiago area resorts we

like in 2005, there have been some changes. They've finally got the road which was B-A-D, fixed this year. The vegetation changed since they had a hurricane that wiped out a lot of trees & one big thing is a guy who worked at the resort was able to open his own restaurant & is doing well.

It'll be interesting to see what changes you notice after so many years.

Have a nice weekend!

Hi from Sweden!

Or should I say: ¡Hola amigos!

Here is a short report from the Cuba Cruise.

I apologize for my bad English, but I hope that you will understand something. ;)

Together with around 140 passengers, I and my familjy boarded the nice looking Louis Cristal in Havana, 30th December. (40 passengershad already embarked at Montego Bay some Days before). The passengers came from 27 different countries, most of them from Canada and the Nordic countries. (Two Groups of each 30 persons from Denmark and Finland, but we were the only swedes. The embarking went very smooth. We got our boardingcards and went onboard.

The first impression of the ship was good, the ship was clean and the professional staff gave us the best service from the first moment. Except from the original Louis Cruise crew so was a lot of cubans present in the restaurant and entertainment departments.

Our cabin was a deluxe (XF) on deck 7, which was of high standard. Maybe a bit too small for 3 persons. You shold also remember to throw the toilet paper in the dustbin and not in the toilet, not so easy....

Every dinner took place in the main restaurant "La Scala" with one open sitting, normally between 7-9.30 PM. You could even pay 39 Canadian dollars to eat at the Alberta steakhouse. But the food in La Scala was very good, with both Canadian, European and Cuban dishes, so we found it unnessesary to pay more for some steaks.

In the metropolitian lounge was the showtime every night, at two ports (Cienfuegos and Santigao) came local entertainments onboard. But it was a lot of cuban music even at the other shows.

And a fast describing of the ports we visited:

Antilla

Here we anchored at the bay of Nipe and took the ships tender boats to the quay. We participated on the excursion to the place where Columbus first landed on Cuba. We also visited a local farmer and a "indian village". A very informative excursion. I would like to spend more than a half hour on the beach, but you can't catch everything.

Santiago de Cuba

We arrived after breakfast and took a taxi to the El morro castle. (For just 20 CUC for a half day!!) What a view you have there! The rest of the day did we spend in the city. Santiago is not as Beautiful as Havana and Cienfuegos, but there are som interesting buildings.

Montego bay

Jamacia is probably not the cheapest place in Caribbean and it's close to the oppostite to Cuba. But we rent a taxi that took us to the Rockland Bord Sanctuary, an Amazing experience to come so cole to the hummingbirds. Then we snorkeled in Montego bay Before we head back to the ship.

Cienfuegos

As we left cuban waters at the last port, we had to buy new visas before entring Cienfuegos. Here we dicided us to visit the Botanical garden, outside the city. A lot of trees and flowers, and pretty good paths to walk on. In the afternoon we walked around in the center, much calmer here than the other cities.

Isla de la juventud

Unfortunately our stop at Isle of youth were cancelled, due strong winds. I had look forward for a whole day at the beach.

DSC_0442%20-%20kopia.jpg

Louis Cristal entering Havana.

More Pictures will come!

Thank you for your time! Feel free to ask any questions.

Best regards

Kim Viktor

Edited by Kim Viktor

Hi again !

Kim - thank you so much for your report. Your English is 100 times better than my Swedish :-)

We are boarding in Montego Bay& want to go to the Bird Sanctuary too. How much was the taxi there please & how long did you stay? Did you see the Jamaican Tody bird?

Thanks again! I look forward to our cruise.

Jo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for your comment!

We paid 100 dollars for 3 hours to and from the ship. It takes 20 minutes from the ship up to the Bird Sanctuary.

Yes we saw both the Jamaican and the Cuban Tody. Here is the Cuban tody in Zapata, Cuba (where we spent a week after the cruise).

DSC_0455%20kopiera.jpg

Kim Viktor, thank you so much for your report. As someone who enjoys learning foreign languages, I can appreciate how very good your English is. It is not easy to become as fluent as you are.

I am especially pleased to hear that most entertainment on board is Cuban. :) That is my wish.