Jewel Southern Caribbean Photo Trip Report May 25th!

Did you buy any wine from the shop? If so, what was the selection/pricing like? We have a supermarket by our hotel for when we go in August but some people in our party are headed right from the airport to the cruise port and I'm wondering if they should try to stop or just buy wine at the pier.

Personally I would stop on the way and buy wine. Very very small selection and with the exception of some Champagne (Moet) nothing I had ever heard of. The Sangria wine was about the only thing ok to drink. Picked up a couple of other bottles and ended up pouring them down the sink :rolleyes:

If you want the Champagne you can make more than 1 trip to the store... We didn't actually do that but would have been easy to do, and the staff actually TELL you you can!!

We did, we bought two bottles of Asti and they cost about $8 per bottle. I'd say the price range was $8-$20.

The selection was all right, I'd hazard a guess that they had 10-20 different items in each (red, white, sparkling) category.

I'm thinking they had mostly sold out when we got there then!! There were 3 or 4 whites, no red, 1 rose and a couple of Champagne.

I thought the selection was horrible. We got there at 3, wishing now we had got there when you did :(

This might be the only time I've looked at a Carnival ship longingly! I've seen the dedicated running tracks with no deck chairs! Freedom and Voyager class isn't too bad before 8am, but it was tough on Jewel. The running track on the Oasis class is convenient, but I miss the view.

Hi- thanks for a great review! I am on the Jewel in August- and your review is really helpful. I am so upset to learn that I won't be able to jog on the jogging track! Is it possible to jog around the people or is it as crowded as the pic looks. I was planning to be out there early ~7am. Is there a lower deck available for jogging? Many thanks in advance!

Hi- thanks for a great review! I am on the Jewel in August- and your review is really helpful. I am so upset to learn that I won't be able to jog on the jogging track! Is it possible to jog around the people or is it as crowded as the pic looks. I was planning to be out there early ~7am. Is there a lower deck available for jogging? Many thanks in advance!

You shouldn't have much of a problem at 7 AM up on the jogging track. None of the lower decks is really suitable for jogging.

Now in this photo you can see the boat next to the pier. There aren't stairs but there is a ladder which you have to climb to get up and down. It's not easy as the boat is moving with the waves BUT we did have many chivalrous gentlemen who held the boat close to the pier and gave us ladies all the help they could in pulling (and pushing) us up.

If you still have doubts, I recommend e-mailing Cosol. He was very prompt in answering.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise :)

climbing UP that ladder may be a problem for me. Climbing down, not so much. I could just jump in the water and walk to shore, though. Is it shallow enough? I figure I'll be getting wet anyway.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

This was truly one of the funniest and most delightful reviews I have read.

We'll be sailing on the Jewel in October (different itinerary). Love the Radiance Class ships too.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Donna

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. Great review.

Thanks. It was a great cruise as well.

Your husband wasn't the only sick one. Something was being passes around.

Maybe not telling the truth on the health questionnaire????

Hmmmm....

Thanks Sinny, for the pictures and the insightful info. Reading your review has gotten me super excited for our upcoming southern Caribbean cruise. We leave this Friday and I can barely contain my excitement!!:)

I hope you have as good time as we did! Isn't cruising GREAT?

Great Review, sorry to hear about your husband - During our May 18 to May 25 trip, my husband also became ill on the Thursday night - luckily they were able to pump him full of antibiotics to fly home to Toronto. We found the medical staff to be great.

Lowry said the doctor was great, he felt like she truly cared for his well-being. That being said, I also heard that she was young, beautiful, Romanian (short skirt and high heels) so he might be a bit partial ;)

Dammit, and I took to time to translate that crazy Finish of yours in your travel blog...This is WAY more easier ;)

I've told you who knows how many times not to translate it! Serves you right for disobeying me ;)

I'm thinking they had mostly sold out when we got there then!! There were 3 or 4 whites, no red, 1 rose and a couple of Champagne.

I thought the selection was horrible. We got there at 3, wishing now we had got there when you did :(

Oh no, bad luck. That might be the case. We are always as early as possible/convenient.

climbing UP that ladder may be a problem for me. Climbing down, not so much. I could just jump in the water and walk to shore, though. Is it shallow enough? I figure I'll be getting wet anyway.

You might be able to do it at the beach (not sure) but not at the harbour where the vans leave you. :(

Thank you so much for posting this review! I enjoyed reading it so much!!My father took me on the Jewel for my college graduation two years ago, and I will be going on Jewels southern aruba route for my honeymoon next year.

You're welcome! Have a great honeymoon :)

This was truly one of the funniest and most delightful reviews I have read.

We'll be sailing on the Jewel in October (different itinerary). Love the Radiance Class ships too.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Donna

Thank You! I hope you have fun on your cruise. Even if I'm not there to give commentary ;)

Tell me it's not over already!:eek:

I can but then I'd be lying :(

And what would you think of me when you found out I was lying to you?

I'll be back in September, I promise.

You shouldn't have much of a problem at 7 AM up on the jogging track. None of the lower decks is really suitable for jogging.

Hi-Great news! I will be sure to set my alarm! Hopefully,everyone will stay clear..... Thanks for the info.

We then drove to Tavernier in Key Largo.

The Seven Mile Bridge is pretty awe-inspiring. Though not always in a good way...

IMG_0460.JPG

Here we stayed at Coconut Palm Inn and yet again wouldn't have wanted to leave.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

But the next morning we did.

Small world. I live in Tavernier in the condos next door to the Coconut Palm Inn.

I'm really enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thanks for the information on the departure tours! I have one booked with Royal but I think I will cancel it and do it then since its cheaper.

Also, since this is such a port intensive itinerary, I'm debating if I should even bother with the MDR. I have the 6 o'clock dining time but I like to catch sail away and don't want to go to dinner late every day. Did you notice anyone doing the same thing?

Great review once again!

I really enjoyed your review. You have a great sense of humor. You sound like a fun person to cruise with!

Thanks! I am, of course, the best person to cruise with. Good thing I can always take myself AND someone else with me ;);)

Small world. I live in Tavernier in the condos next door to the Coconut Palm Inn.

I'm really enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Ooohhh. You must love it there. The lake is so wonderful.

Thanks for reading :)

Thanks for the information on the departure tours! I have one booked with Royal but I think I will cancel it and do it then since its cheaper.

Also, since this is such a port intensive itinerary, I'm debating if I should even bother with the MDR. I have the 6 o'clock dining time but I like to catch sail away and don't want to go to dinner late every day. Did you notice anyone doing the same thing?

Great review once again!

There were many folks who came in a bit late, 10-15 minutes. I don't know if that's how it usually is because we have always had MTD before.

Thanks for the review! I really want to go south now!

South is good :)

Sinny, not sure if you remember us, we were on the Allure with you last October and are sailing this same itinerary in September, great review, your pictures are super, love your sense of humor!

Debby