dramamine, bonine, patch, or ginger

cruise fairy

We're going on a cruise next Spring with other members of my family. I usually get motion sickness, but did not on our last cruise - Golden Princess. We will be cruising the Star this next cruise.

Some of my family members are concerned about motion sickness and I wanted to get other opinions about what would be an acceptable method of motion sickness prevention.

Dramamine (drowsy and non-drowsy) I've heard both can make you drowsy. How do you feel the entire day while taking this method?

Bonine (drowsy and non-drowsy) I've heard that you don't get as drowsy with this method vs. dramamine, even though they contain the same active ingredient.:confused:

Patch - I've heard of people with the complaint of pupil dilitation. How did this affect your cruise and does it happen with everyone? Is behind the ear the only site of application?

Ginger - I've heard of some people taking this a few weeks prior to the cruise and during the cruise with no side effects and no motion sickness. How much and in what form is this taken?

Any opinions and thoughts welcome:p

My vote is for the ginger...

I am not a big fan of "drugs"... so the more natural, the better! You can get ginger capsules from the health store.

Here is some info on ginger:

Ginger is a common spice known for its "stimulating carminative" property throughout the world, especially in Asia. We can cook it in hot dish for its pungent flavor, or eat it raw like the raw ginger marinated with vinegar in Japanese cuisine. Because of its action on promoting gastrointestinal circulation, significant evidence has been brought up of the usefulness of ginger against motion sickness, nausea and vomiting.

Ginger for Motion Sickness and Nausea

Conducted by Svensborg Hospital in Denmark, seasickness trial and clinical study have shown that ginger was as effective as over-the-counter drugs in dealing with motion sickness. It is indeed a safer option that OTC drugs which cause drowsiness. Another clinical study conducted by Department of Anesthesiology at St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London showed that 1g of ginger powder was as effective at preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting as the tranquilizer commonly used by hospitals and much safer.

I'm interested in hearing more about ginger myself. My last cruise I took half a bonine each night (I'm tiny) and I was STILL tired. I'd love to try the ginger, but I'm nervous!!!

Tried the patch once when we knew the crossing would be rough, YUCK, too many side effects for me.

Dramamine is OK but even the non-drowsey formula puts me OUT!

Bonine-Works the best of any of them, doesn't make me sleepy and I always carry it with us since we hit that hurricane a few years ago.

Never have tried Ginger, guess I just stick with something I know will work.

On our last cruise we had granddaughter use the wrist band for motion sickness plus she drank Ginger ale all day/night long.

She started to get sick on 1st morning and put on the bands and started to drink ginger ale and it was gone in about 1 to 2 hrs.

While planning our next cruise for this Oct. she said she still had the wrist bands and would make sure she brought them with her. She was ready to cruise.

She gets sick in cars, planes and ships so we were glad this worked without drugs.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can take one capsule of ginger a day the week before you cruise... On the cruise you can continue to take one a day.

Otherwise, you can treat it the same way you would take Dramamine... take as needed... if you are starting to feel sick, take a few capsules... and it should clear up!

Here is some more info about ginger:

Research published in the British medical journal The Lancet, showed it to be more effective than Dramamine in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness. It may be taken as a cup of fresh infusion, eaten as candied ginger, or as capsules of the powder. For people who do not like the taste of ginger the capsules are ideal, usual dosage of such capsules is 2 to 4 as needed.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can take one capsule of ginger a day the week before you cruise... On the cruise you can continue to take one a day.

Otherwise, you can treat it the same way you would take Dramamine... take as needed... if you are starting to feel sick, take a few capsules... and it should clear up!

Here is some more info about ginger:

Research published in the British medical journal The Lancet, showed it to be more effective than Dramamine in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness. It may be taken as a cup of fresh infusion, eaten as candied ginger, or as capsules of the powder. For people who do not like the taste of ginger the capsules are ideal, usual dosage of such capsules is 2 to 4 as needed.

Again Dreamer, thank you! I like the idea of taking Ginger instead of drugs. Although, I think I will carry Bonine in case the Ginger doesn't work. Dramamine sounds as if it will be out. It will be nice to have a variety of options.

Again, I didn't get a bit sick on our last cruise....and I can get sick driving my own car... but you never know what will happen the next time.:p

;) :cool: Where do you get bonine? I looked at Target near the dramamine. Is it called bonine? Thanks Sharbro.:)

You can get it at Target, Walgreens, SavOn, Wal-Mart, etc.

I learned from a friend that if you use the patch for more than 3 days, you could have side-effects when taking it off. She felt sea-sick after her cruise after using the patch for 7 days. :eek:

Where do you get candied ginger??

During our recent cruise on the CB the week of June 4-11, we hit Tropical Storm Arlene. My Wife broke out the Bonine. Not a one of us got sick in the least. It is just one small pill which dissolves on your tongue and has a pleasant taste. It works great.

The Monk

Where do you get candied ginger??

In the spice aisle at the grocery. Also you might find it in the Asian food section, where it's probably a little less expensive.

You can use ginger in any form that you can tolerate. Whole, candied, ginger ale, gingersnap cookies, capsules -- whatever works. If it's too zingy for you in every other form, the capsules solve that.

In the spice aisle at the grocery. Also you might find it in the Asian food section, where it's probably a little less expensive.

You can use ginger in any form that you can tolerate. Whole, candied, ginger ale, gingersnap cookies, capsules -- whatever works. If it's too zingy for you in every other form, the capsules solve that.

Thanks MaryPoppinz! I don't usually need the stuff myself, but DH needs something! I don't want him taking the patch for 12 days!! Want to find him a good alternative...

We have found Bonine to be very effective. We take it before bed in case there is any drowsiness. I like the generic meclazine because it is a pill you swallow rather than chew, but they are the same ingredients.

We also have a Relief Band which is different than the sea bands that you get at the drug store. My son was too young for the other meds, so we ordered the Releif Band which sends an electronic pulse through your wrist to prevent nausea. It really works as many friends have borowed it from us or used it in our car during long rides. It is battery powered and has no side effects. The other nice thing about it is that you are able to control the intensity of the pulse depending on how bad you feel. It works even after you've gotten sick. We used it on a snorkel boat when my son got sick...shortly after he was chowing down on some lunch. If you do a google for relief band you will find many online stores that sell them.

You may want to make sure the ginger ale actually has ginger in it since many don't have it as an ingredient anymore!

Patch made me very ill, can't take dramamine or bonine and drink makes me too sleepy. I use ginger and the wrist bands. Funny thing is now after cruising more and more I need it less and less. Now I need it when I get off the ship to prevent land sickness after a cruise or during shore excursions. I am actually sicker on land than on the ship any more.

Growing up I got motion sickness quite easy. Boat rides, car rides, etc.

I was a wreck my first cruise. Got all hooked up with the patch. Was quite strong. You can cut them in half. Many MDs stopped use of the patch due to the side effects from it. But, I still see patches when I cruise today.

Over the years I have built a tolerance to cruising, I have not been seasick at all. ?? Who knows?? I do still get sick on smaller boats.

Dramamine is an old standby that can make most tired.

When Bonine first came out I was thrilled as you could chew it. I felt less side effects with the Bonine than Dramamine.

For me Bonine is what I have with me just in case.

Have never tried Ginger. But reading the posts it sounds quite effective.

Everyone reacts differently to medicines. And what works for one may not be as effective for another.

Ask your pharmacist for Meclizine if you want to get Bonine. Bonine is around 6$-8$ for 8 pills, and Meclizine is under $10 for 100. I used that when the patches were being reformulated, and off the market for a while. They still did not work as well, FOR ME, as the patches do. I have used them for ten of our eleven cruises and have never gotten sick. However, my husband has used nothing, and never gotten sick. :) It just depends on how you react to motion sickness. If you are interested in the patches, talk to your physician, and maybe get one extra to try while still in town.........so you can call your doctor if you have any questions. I, personally, have tried ginger and the wrist bands (not the battery ones), and they didn't work for me. The good news is that there is something for everyone.

Happy cruising!

Ask your pharmacist for Meclizine if you want to get Bonine. Bonine is around 6$-8$ for 8 pills, and Meclizine is under $10 for 100. QUOTE]

Meclizine is $5 for 100 pills at Costco..

I prefer triptone. You can find it in dive shops. It will make you a little woozy, but not sleepy. So as long as you aren't driving you can use it. Also, it works even after you have already gotten seasick, which often doesn't work for the others.

Archived