dramamine, bonine, patch, or ginger

cruise fairy

I get motion sick out on the bay so I was very worried about being sick on the Sapphire. My husband bought the bands and also ginger. Neither worked on me. The bands gave me bruises for about 3 days and the ginger just made me burp ginger while throwing up. We bought dramamine in the shop on the ship and it worked well for me. I tried to buy some later in the cruise and they had sold out. You can't buy that drug here in Australia so will have to wait until I go on another cruise to buy some. They were wonderful. I just had them at night, slept through the night and I was fine the next morning. Not sleepy at all. Gayle

We have the chewable Bonine tablets but if my husband takes one chewable (25mg) as a preventative measure at night prior to bed how does it help during the day? Doesn't it wear off by morning? How long does the medicine last? Also, do you have to take it every night or can he just take it the night prior to sea days? He usually doesn't get seasick on Caribbean cruises unless the seas are real rough but I heard in Alaska sometimes that the sea days can be on the choppy side so we're wondering if he should just take a Bonine tablet to prevent any seasick feeling.

Are all the Bonine tablets/chewables the same strength?

I am a BIG fan of the patch. I can get sea sick in my swimming pool on a windy day! The patch works great for me (even in very rough waters) and I have very few side effects for the most part. My DD was given the patch by her dr as she is PG and had morning sickness on her recent cruise...it worked well for her also. I was afraid the motion of the ocean would put her over the edge but she did well. The worst side effect I have had was a bit of dry mouth.

jimneycrkit, I also get land sick after a cruise. This can last from 2 to 7 days for me. I don't get seasick. Thought I was the only person this happened to. Never thought of taking the ginger capsules after the cruise. Thanks for mentioning it.

Diane

On our Panama canal cruise, we were with some friends who were feeling a little sick one night. She brought ginger cookies with her and they seemed to help. I also think that the one night she took Bonine, but she made sure to have a ginger cookie every day.

Don't forget to check with your eye doctor before taking any of the drugs if you have glaucoma. Some of the ingredients can be disastrous for people with narrow-angle glaucoma. You don't want that kind of emergency at sea.

I have always used the scopolamine patch with no side effects. Remember, to start whatever remedy you choose before you ever board the ship as it's much easier to prevent nausea than it is to get rid of it.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

I swear by Ginger ! I am very susceptible to motion sickness - boats, amusement park rides, backseats of cars, bumpy airplanes, etc. I pop a ginger pill whenever in those situations. One a day does it.

I don't think you need to start them a week a head of the cruise. I usually start the day I board.

You should be able to get the pills at any pharmacy or health food store.

I used the patch on a Windjammer Tall Ship cruise a couple of years back, and it was great!

We had a very rough day at sea and I KNOW I would have been sick without it! :o

I was going to suggest to my nervous, and usually sea-sick brother-in-law, that he use it on his first cruise with us, in October, but now I am worried...

Does Ginger work as well as the patch? I know what the tests say...but has anyone actually compared?? :confused:

Olwyn

We have the chewable Bonine tablets but if my husband takes one chewable (25mg) as a preventative measure at night prior to bed how does it help during the day? Doesn't it wear off by morning? How long does the medicine last? Also, do you have to take it every night or can he just take it the night prior to sea days? He usually doesn't get seasick on Caribbean cruises unless the seas are real rough but I heard in Alaska sometimes that the sea days can be on the choppy side so we're wondering if he should just take a Bonine tablet to prevent any seasick feeling.

Are all the Bonine tablets/chewables the same strength?

SF...Bonine should last 24 hours. I double up the night before if we are going to go on a snorkel boat since I have more trouble on the small boats. Your husband does not have to take it every night,but it doesn't hurt you if you take it as a preventative measure. I'd rather not waste any time on an expensive vacation being sick if it can be helped.

We used non-drowsy Dramamine (half of a tablet) on rough sea days and at night. During the day we used ginger and found it highly effective. For our upcoming cruise we are planning to rely mostly on the ginger and try to not use the Dramamine if possible.

I tried it for the first time this weekend, when I took a 3-hour trip in my husband's little Cessna airplane. There was a LOT of turbulence up there in the clouds, but I could simply adjust the setting on the Relief Band depending on how much of a "zap" I thought I needed. Or I could turn it off when we were in smooth air. I can't wait to bring it on my next cruise. I have used the elastic Sea Bands before, but the Relief Band is MUCH more effective. Although pricey at $80 or $90. (But mine was a present from my wonderful husband!!)

I also love to have ginger capsules available. You can find them in the vitamin/herb section of the drug store. Although not every place carries it. I think I've seen it in Target.

Mary Ellen

I'm somewhat prone to seasickness on a rocking boat, so I've been using the wristbands (they sell onboard) for years. I don't know how or why they work, but they work wonders for me and everyone I convince to try them.

My daughter and I went on a whale watching excursion in Vacouver last year, and the I had mine on while we were on a relatively small boat that was moving quite a bit. The whales were passing right by and under the boat...and it was incredible! About 2/3 into the trip, I went down below on the first level of a bilevel boat and found a couple where the wife was seasick and missing everything. I was feeling great...so I gave up my wristbands and donated them to her (I was feeling cocky), so that she could join in the fun. She almost immediately felt better and enjoyed the rest of the excursion. I on the other hand had to hold it together on the way back to shore...while turning green without my "bands." She thanked me profusely, so it was worth being uncomfortable for a little while. I figure I got good "karma" for the rest a great trip with my daughter.

I have used the patch also and do not like the side effects. Found meclizine(the ingredient in bonine) to be great. Dramimine makes me very sleeply but the meclizine does not have that effect and works without side effects. I would be VERY seasick without it. I always ask my doctor for a Rx before a cruise----MUCH cheaper than the over the counter Bonine. My husband and I take one each night on a cruise even if we have not taken one during the day. Just a percaution and it works BEAUTIFULLY.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used the patch for many cruises with no ill effects but then on the third time my pupils dilated and could not focus on anything. was not fun. on the last cruise read up on different things and tried the ginger in capsule form and took one when we got on the ship and was fine then the next day was feeling a little nausea and took ginger again and cleared it right up and didn't have to take it the rest of the cruise. If someone is more prone to sea sickness then taking a capsule once a day would work.

I get ginger capsules at Walmart - they're with all the other vitamins. I get ginger candy and candied ginger at Trader Jo's. Thanks for the advice about Meclizine at Costco. I like to take Bonine on drives to the mountains - and it's kind of expensive. I did use ginger capsules on my last cruise -- our last night was really rough, lots of people were getting sick - and the ginger worked great for me (I get motion sick easily). So I usually carry chewable, non-drowsy Bonine and ginger capsules whenever I travel. Ginger candy is good for when your tummy is a little queasy.

Be aware that ginger does have side effects. It can increase the effectiveness any anticoagulant (blood thinner) that you may be taking. It can also affect your urinary system and cause heart rhythm irregularities. We recommend that surgical patients stop ginger at least two weeks before surgery to avoid potential interactions and complications. If you have any medical history at all, or are taking other medications, it is best to check with your physician before taking ginger.

Does meclizine / Bonine require a prescription?

No prescription needed. You can buy anywhere.. Cheapest is Meclizine at Costco.. $4.99 for 100 tablets. They have a 4 year shelf life..

I have suffered from severe motion sickness my entire life. I take a Bonine every morning starting the day I will be getting on the ship. I have not had any problems since starting this. I used to have some problems when I took Dramamine.

Archived