Makeup in the Med

Hi all! We are off to Europe in just 29 days, and I've started to think beyond clothes (finally) to other basics, like makeup. I'm don't wear a lot, and tend to just use eyeliner in brown or a soft colour, along with mascara, a bit of blush if necessary, and that's about it.

I have tried one of the new BB creams from Maybelline and don't know what all the fuss is about. I would like to take along some kind of tinted moisturizer with sunscreen to wear along with my Neutragena 60 SPF face sunscreen. Can anyone recommend a brand that won't feel greasy, etc?

What other makeup do people bring along? Minimal? Also, is lip gloss / mascara considered "liquids" or can I pack it in my carry on? We're packing super light for this trip, 21" suitcases only, so every bit of space counts.

Also, talk to me about hairstyles! I have shoulder length hair that is layered, bangs that are long enough to go to the side but sometimes, unless I really style it, my hair tends to hang there looking limp and lifeless. My initial thought was to grow it out enough to put it up, since it will be so hot while we're there, but now I'm reconsidering. Number 1, I can't use a clip AND wear a hat, too uncomfortable. Number 2, there are still chunks that fall out and drive me mental. SO, I'm looking for a cute, maybe chin-length hair cut to consider. I am not one who fusses over getting her hair cut shorter for the summer, but just want to make sure it is easy to do on the fly and will look cute even after a day of touring Rome. :D

Any suggestions? Using a celebrity for reference is always helpful. :)

Thank you! We're getting so excited.

Sweetpea: If you just to you eyeliner, mascara and blush, that's all you need. For that tinted moisturizer, I use Laura Mercier. It is SPF20. If you are nearby a Sephora store, they usually have some of the little tubes of it in the "impulse buy" section (you know - the little boxes of stuff there in the checkout line). I use it for my business look or if I'm going out at night.

My little tube leaked a bunch on my last trip (my mistake - I didn't put plastic wrap between the tip and the top). I had my plain SPF moisturizer with me (also Laura Mercier), so I wasn't worried. Like you, I wasn't impressed with BB creams. Anyway, I wandered into the Kiehl's shop I found to get a tube of lip balm. Talking to the sales clerk, I look at a travel-size of their tinted BB cream that has SPF50. I tried it and it isn't bad. I still think I look too "made up" with it, but if I add some blush to add some dimension, it is tolerable.

Also, is lip gloss / mascara considered "liquids" or can I pack it in my carry on?...

Yes, but you can still pack it in your carry on if it is 3 oz. (100 ml.) or less. You will put those items in a 1 quart zipper baggie, removed separately for screening. Everything can still go back into your carry on once you are through security. We were once told by an airport screening agent, "If you can squeeze it, squirt it, splash it, smear it, or smudge it, it must go in the zipper baggie.". That made it pretty simple to understand, and I took a few minutes to rearrange my items and go on through security.

Since you don't usually wear a lot of make up, I actually don't see reason for you to change your routine now. You will not look like "you" and it's just more stuff to worry about. ;)

Concerning hair in the Med, trust me it will be hot and I'd like to recommend you wear a hat and not worry about your hair while in port. I do not wear moisturizer in the summer - it just melts right off. A non-greasy sunblock is what I would use; I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch. :)

Have fun!

My little tube leaked a bunch on my last trip (my mistake - I didn't put plastic wrap between the tip and the top). ...................

I've been decanting my liquids into old, clean eyedrop bottles.

Do a trial run at home to see how many uses a bottle will last.

Contact lens cases also work.

For daytime in the sun and heat, I bought a ponytail hat from Coolibar. It's 50 SPF, with a wide brim and a hole in the back for a ponytail. I figure it can stay put until I'm back onboard and I'll be wanting a shower anyway! I'll be in the Carribean and just HATE my hair on my neck in hot weather. I also want shade over the back of my neck so this was the perfect hat. It's cute, too!

I got the blue and white one.

http://www.coolibar.com/product/Sun-Hats/Womens/Floppy/Reversible-Pool-Hat/pc/2222/c/2271/sc/2196/156053.uts

Thanks for the replies!

There is a Sephora store near me, and I plan on being in that area on Friday so I will check out the Laura Mercier mini bottle suggested.

I don't care much about makeup in general, and in fact when we're at the lake in the summer I don't wear anything but moisturizer. However, we will be taking a lot of photos during this trip so I do want to look nice. :D I will stick with the basics that I usually wear, and perhaps try to take stuff that won't smear easily in the heat and humidity.

I was looking at hair styles today. Last summer I cut my hair to resemble Meg Ryan in her best (IMO) years, with the cute, chin length, jagged, layered bob. Longer bangs that are kind of swept to the side. I figure that way, wearing a hat all day in port, it won't touch my neck (I HATE having hot hair on my neck) and it will be easy enough to just blow dry when we get back. I made an appt for next week to get it cut, and might (MIGHT) splurge on some highlights and lowlights as well. I haven't coloured my hair in about 6 years, but I thought for this once-in-a-lifetime trip, I might just go ahead and look as good as possible. I'm a brunette, so maybe some deep auburn lowlights and some lighter highlights. :D

That is adorable!! My hat is a straw one, and I really like how it looks on me, but I'm not sure how it will pack for this trip. Oh well, maybe I'll find one in London at the start of the trip. :D

I've been decanting my liquids into old, clean eyedrop bottles.

Do a trial run at home to see how many uses a bottle will last.

Contact lens cases also work.

Yeah, I was just stupid that trip. I was a little worried about that top, but I totally forgot to do anything about it. I have used contact cases, too. For many of my screw-top things, I put a little piece of plastic wrap over the top and then screw the top on. I haven't had troubles when I do that.

For Langley Cruisers: your sunscreen is acting as your moisturizer. So, you're doing it right - no need to do moisturizer, then sunscreen.

...It's 50 SPF, with a wide brim and a hole in the back for a ponytail.

Well I've never seen a ponytail hat, what a cute idea. PLUS it will stay on in a gust of wind since the ponytail is, in effect, helping to hold it on. And yes, looks like it will fold down and pack/travel well. I'm afraid I have lost a couple of straw hats being crushed in my luggage. :(

For that tinted moisturizer, I use Laura Mercier. It is SPF20. If you are nearby a Sephora store, they usually have some of the little tubes of it in the "impulse buy" section (you know - the little boxes of stuff there in the checkout line). I use it for my business look or if I'm going out at night.

My little tube leaked a bunch on my last trip (my mistake - I didn't put plastic wrap between the tip and the top). I had my plain SPF moisturizer with me (also Laura Mercier), so I wasn't worried.

I can't believe it. I also use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer -- it's the best. (For the original poster -- it also comes in an oil-free version).

AND I also cover the top with a bit of plastic wrap when I travel. :D

I can't believe it. I also use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer -- it's the best. (For the original poster -- it also comes in an oil-free version).

AND I also cover the top with a bit of plastic wrap when I travel. :D

This is getting freaky!! we travel solo, we DIY, we like supergas, we use Laura Mercier, we do plastic wrap, we do carryons, we love Rome....

I think we WERE separated at birth :D

On Laura Mercier, for the more mature woman, there is also an "illuminating" tinted moisturizer. I have it for night time - it seems to do a little brightening. Other than that, no difference between the two.

Something else to think about, cosmetic-wise: some eye cream or gel. The skin right under your eyes are frequently neglected. Being outside all day long will dry it out. Since you're hitting up Sephora, see if you can get a little sample jar of something again.

Yeah, I was just stupid that trip. I was a little worried about that top, but I totally forgot to do anything about it. I have used contact cases, too. For many of my screw-top things, I put a little piece of plastic wrap over the top and then screw the top on. I haven't had troubles when I do that.

For Langley Cruisers: your sunscreen is acting as your moisturizer. So, you're doing it right - no need to do moisturizer, then sunscreen.

Figured out the Eye Drop container after a small bottle of Argan Oil (with plastic wrap under the lid and in a ziplock. The zip was still purple when I discovered it.:mad:) leaked completely into our suitcase at the beginning of our trip. Cannot believe how stinky that was.

I don't wear much make up either, a little powder, mascara & lipgloss, but the one product I do indulge in is smashbox photofinish, they have different versions for skin types, (I'm super dry) a bottle lasts me about 2 years, you can't feel it wants you've applied, unlike the BB.

I use a light powder over it.

I'm alot closer to 50 than 40, :D if that helps :)

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking at hair styles today. Last summer I cut my hair to resemble Meg Ryan in her best (IMO) years, with the cute, chin length, jagged, layered bob. Longer bangs that are kind of swept to the side. I figure that way, wearing a hat all day in port, it won't touch my neck (I HATE having hot hair on my neck) and it will be easy enough to just blow dry when we get back. I made an appt for next week to get it cut, and might (MIGHT) splurge on some highlights and lowlights as well. I haven't coloured my hair in about 6 years, but I thought for this once-in-a-lifetime trip, I might just go ahead and look as good as possible. I'm a brunette, so maybe some deep auburn lowlights and some lighter highlights. :D

Just my opinion on the auburn ... keeping red color is SO difficult, you have to always wash in cool water and use very gentle shampoos or it oxidizes quickly. This of course is my experience and from recommendations from my hairdresser. I currently have Auburn hair but am in the process of going back to brunette because I just hate the maintenance, love the color on me but can't take the maintaining, lol.

I know what you mean about the highlights. I am not sure if I will indulge or not, and honestly I see so many women out there that look like skunks with the big chunky highlights. I was thinking more of a very few smaller ones, but we'll see. Might be too much cash anyway, just before a trip. DH would kill me!

My hair is a medium brown, with the odd grey hair that I am simply plucking as I see them.

Oh, and I'm 48 so I am also closer to 50. :D I find that the sunscreen just doesn't feel like it is moisturizing enough, so I tend to apply both.

Just curious, should you apply the sunscreen first and then a small amount of moisturizer? I would think it would absorb better that way.

The biggest thing I don't want to happen, is have my face feel greasy and have my makeup smearing and running all over my face. I hate waterproof mascara, but I am thinking that might be the best, to keep it in place when the weather is hot and muggy?

Figured out the Eye Drop container after a small bottle of Argan Oil (with plastic wrap under the lid and in a ziplock. The zip was still purple when I discovered it.:mad:) leaked completely into our suitcase at the beginning of our trip. Cannot believe how stinky that was.

Ah yes, argan oil. That's the stuff that I found out why it is in dark glass bottles! I transferred some to one of my Go Toobs for a trip. By the time I arrived at my destination some 23 hours later, the bottle was empty. The Toob had absorbed all the oil!!!

I started dying my hair red about 9 months ago and I really like it. I was a bottle blonde before. I find the Red to be much easier to deal with since my hair is naturally brown - less roots showing as it grows out.

In general I find keeping any hair dye from fading/changing color is kind of hard. In the past couple of years I've switched from daily washing to every 2 to 3 days using Moroccan Oil shampoo & conditioner and then Pssst dry shampoo on the days I don't wash.

As far as your face feeling greasy it really will come down to how greasy your sunscreen is since you are putting lotion on top of lotion. One option to cut down on the greasy feeling would be to use just the tinted moisturizer and then touch up throughout the day with this mineral sunscreen powder by Peter Thomas Roth (Also at Sephora). I tend to use this method when I'm sightseeing (vs. the beach)

s1165737-main-hero.jpg

I have never put my mascara or lipsticks in my 3-1-1 bag, and that has never been questioned. With 100K air miles last year alone, I think I've got a good basis to tell you that the TSA doesn't care about mascara or lipstick. That said, I typically only take one of each. If you have a bunch of lipsticks, it might be a different situation.

I bring and use my normal makeup for both day and night.

I know you mentioned Sephora, but if you have an Ulta around, they're also very helpful & have a good selection.

Olay has a good tinted moisturizer. Ulta used to have one, but I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm not sure if they still make it.

Good suggestion with the minerals, although sometime I feel like it cakes in the smile lines.

Lastly the Meg Ryan cut sounds cute. I was going to suggest a bob. I just got mine cut short from an angled bob (shorter in the back). It's super short and she wisped the top with those funky scissors so I can literally dry it in 2 minutes. Other nice thing is using the pomade to help keep it in place since that doesn't count as a liquid (it's either in a stick or pot)

As far as your face feeling greasy it really will come down to how greasy your sunscreen is since you are putting lotion on top of lotion. One option to cut down on the greasy feeling would be to use just the tinted moisturizer and then touch up throughout the day with this mineral sunscreen powder by Peter Thomas Roth (Also at Sephora). I tend to use this method when I'm sightseeing (vs. the beach)

s1165737-main-hero.jpg

I used that (a freebie in one of the Sephora Sun Sense packages) 2 years ago. If you like powder on your face, I guess it would be OK. I wasn't thrilled with it, as it still had that "fake" look that foundation or powder has. I also used the "clear" brush sunscreen from sun science. I didn't like it either - it took off a level of "color" from me and left a kind of veil on my skin that looked fake also, like I put foundation on my face... but, I kept in my convertible, just in case I had a chance to put my top down after I left the house.

I have never put my mascara or lipsticks in my 3-1-1 bag, and that has never been questioned. With 100K air miles last year alone, I think I've got a good basis to tell you that the TSA doesn't care about mascara or lipstick. That said, I typically only take one of each. If you have a bunch of lipsticks, it might be a different situation.

I bring and use my normal makeup for both day and night.

I fly once a year and I haven't had to put makeup in the 3-1-1 bag either. The one time I forgot to put a tube of sunblock in though they did search my bag to see what it was. I think they go by size for the most part.

I used that (a freebie in one of the Sephora Sun Sense packages) 2 years ago. If you like powder on your face, I guess it would be OK. I wasn't thrilled with it, as it still had that "fake" look that foundation or powder has. I also used the "clear" brush sunscreen from sun science. I didn't like it either - it took off a level of "color" from me and left a kind of veil on my skin that looked fake also, like I put foundation on my face... but, I kept in my convertible, just in case I had a chance to put my top down after I left the house.

I haven't had the caked on look yet but I can see it happening. My only annoyance with the mineral powder brush is that the cap doesn't always stay on.

Lastly the Meg Ryan cut sounds cute. I was going to suggest a bob. I just got mine cut short from an angled bob (shorter in the back). It's super short and she wisped the top with those funky scissors so I can literally dry it in 2 minutes. Other nice thing is using the pomade to help keep it in place since that doesn't count as a liquid (it's either in a stick or pot)

I had the Meg Ryan type cut a couple of years ago, for the summer, and I really liked it too. Super easy to style and nice and light-feeling instead of the dragged-down feeling I have now. My hair is about shoulder length, long layers, longer bangs and really don't do much for my face. Now that I have abandoned the long hair chic updo idea in my mind (:rolleyes:) I am getting excited to have it cut and actually resembling a style for a change. Ha.

What pomade do you use? I don't like anything too stiff, but something I could take and would be easy to put in when I need a bit of style would be great.

Thanks for the photo of that sunscreen brush (for lack of a better word). I've never seen that before in my life! Will check things out on Friday when I am in the neighbouring town at Sephora.

Finally, I love Olay. Use their day cream w/spf and night cream. I will definitely check out their tinted moisturizer!!

Archived