Power Strips Banned?

boomer0688

Hello,

I have heard that power strips are banned on the ships. Has anyone ran into this recently aboard a Carnival ship? :confused:

No. In fact I had one in my carryon two weeks ago.

I took one, and an extension cord with multi outlets, in my checked bags last week.

Carnival FAQs (paraphrased) state they reserve the right to take it away if it's hazardous.

In other words, Don't bring one that will burn down the ship.

As long as it is in great condition, you should be fine.

I buy a new one and leave it in its package; it has gone through fine everytime

That depends on the Ship and people checking. Took a brand new one in the package on the Victory in March and it was taken out of my bag when I received it and it had a note on the bag that said "tools in bag"....lol.

That depends on the Ship and people checking. Took a brand new one in the package on the Victory in March and it was taken out of my bag when I received it and it had a note on the bag that said "tools in bag"....lol.

I agree, it depends on which terminal, and who's running the X-ray machine.

LOL - more like "Tools opening the bag" :D

I bring one of these with me: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Travel-Charger-Protector/dp/B0015DYMVO

No complaints yet, although I would probably hide it if someone other than the cabin steward was coming into my room.

Hello,

I have heard that power strips are banned on the ships. Has anyone ran into this recently aboard a Carnival ship? :confused:

I took a Belkin charger/outlet on my last cruise. The first time, my steward forgot to plug it in after straightening my cabin, after that he did. I had to keep resetting my alarm clock/iPod player!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I don't think any line has banned power strips. The preferred type from a safety standpoint are the ones with on/off switches, which are actually small circuit breakers as well. There are never enough outlets in the cabins for today's lifestyle.

Just remember, that if your cabin is 3 high school/college age women who just have to get all 3 3000w hair dryers going at once, you will probably knock out the power to not only your cabin, but a couple on either side as well.

I bring one of these with me: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Travel-Charger-Protector/dp/B0015DYMVO

No complaints yet, although I would probably hide it if someone other than the cabin steward was coming into my room.

Exactly what I bring and have not had a problem in checked or carry on bag on Carnival, NCL or Princess.

What the heck does everybody need a power strip for? What all do you have that needs to be plugged in all at the same time?

Notebook, phone, tablet, ebook, camera, battery charger, MP3 player, etc. :) If you travel with kids, various portable game systems. And we won't mention the not supposed to have stuff like irons, personal hair dryers, hair straighteners, kettles, etc..

Yikes. I guess I would never bring that much stuff on a cruise. May as well stay home.

We travel with two teenagers. They each bring an IPod. I bring a camera. I might bring a IPod shuffle this time. My wife brings nothing electronic. Very easy to keep everything charged with just the outlet in the cabin area.

What the heck does everybody need a power strip for? What all do you have that needs to be plugged in all at the same time?

Things need to be charged and powered. Welcome to 2013

CPAP machine, cell phone, camera. Also, on older ships we've had problems with the a/c and requested a fan from Guest Services. :D

CPAP machine, cell phone, camera. Also, on older ships we've had problems with the a/c and requested a fan from Guest Services. :D

Generally if you let special needs know ahead of time they will provide an extension cord for CPAPs.

A couple of years ago the power strip ban was a huge topic around here but they (Carnival) seem to have backed off a bit. We've always been fine just swapping things around though I think our 3 teenage daughters are going to need a power strip :p

Archived