best island for snorkeling?

rocklinmom

Which island is the best for snorkeling? There are excursions available in Maui (goes out to Molokini Crater), Kona (at Pawaii Bay), and Kauai. This would be for a family with two children ages 7 and 5. Any info appreciated.

I vote for Pawaii Bay. I love snorkeling in Hawaii and we have been to Molokini more than once. I think the area north of Kona is beautiful and the snorkeling wonderful. Pawaii Bay would also offer beach access and no long boat trip. If I had to choose, Pawaii would be my choice. Cherie

p.s. The only other thing I would suggest is a zodiac snorkel trip. So much fun!

Edited by cccole

We snorkeled in Kona a couple of weeks ago. The water was pretty cool, but didn't need a wet suit. The waves were pretty fierce and it kicked up some "junk" in the ocean. It was at a coral reef, but pretty deep. I kind of wish we had done the Molokini Crater, but I think we would have had the same problems with the surf. It was great for surfing but probably not the best conditions for snorkeling! Had a great time though and enjoyed the sailing too!

Because we traveled to Hawaii often with our children, I would like to make one more suggestion. If you snorkel in Kona you can surf on Maui. Our children were 4, 6, and 8 when they learned to surf in Lahaina. We did a family surf lesson, including my husband and myself. It was great and the kids still surf. Cherie

Thank you all for the feedback. It's actually for my nieces, and they are definitely beginners at snorkeling so it sounds like the Kona or Kauai excursion is the way to go. I see that the Kona one has a waterslide too so that could be the best option.

For the little ones, I would suggest you DIY on Kona and go to Kahaluu Beach Park. It's down Alii drive. It's a perfect place for beginner snorkelers. There are restrooms there, also. It's a little cove that has a rock wall out a ways from shore that keeps the waves out. No currents to worry about. Lots of fish that are very used to visitors. It is also known for it's turtles. It's the place I always to back to on my first day on the Big Island to get my "snorkel legs" back. Just about every time I've been there I've seen a turtle swimming around.

A website with some info on the place:http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kahaluu_beach_park_snorkeling.html

Edited by slidergirl

• 1 year later...

which snorkel place would be best if we are on the Pride of America? In Maui we are in port in Kahului. I do not want to be in an expensive cab ride for an hour+ if I can help it? Is there any beach to go to where we can snorkel ourselves without doing an excursion from the boat?

In Maui we are in port in Kahului. I do not want to be in an expensive cab ride for an hour+ if I can help it? Is there any beach to go to where we can snorkel ourselves without doing an excursion from the boat?

Is renting a car something that you'd consider doing? They are inexpensive (a cab ride one way to the closest good snorkelling beach would likely cost more than a one day rental), and driving on Maui is easy. You could spend the day going to some nice beaches and fit in some other exploring as well.

Our favorite snorkelling experience was with a tour company called

"Captain Bobs"

We did this excursion on Oahu.

They pick you up in a bus and transport you to the other side of the Island, about a 20 min. ride even in traffic.

Once their you board one of two catamarans.

They have all the needed supplies included in the cost of this excursion from fins, to snorkels to boogie boards.

You go out in the bay, and the first stop they set up a volleyball net in the ocean and you play or if you want snorkel there.

Then you eat a BBQ lunch, well prepared.

After everyone is back on board, you travel further into a culdera and they drop the anchor and you swim on a reef inside the culdera, and it is awesome.

When we were there so were the turtles and dolphins.

It was an experience of a lifetime.

And we have done this excursion 3 x on different vacations.

Note: We are tourist and do not work for this company.

Sea Ya

which snorkel place would be best if we are on the Pride of America? In Maui we are in port in Kahului. I do not want to be in an expensive cab ride for an hour+ if I can help it? Is there any beach to go to where we can snorkel ourselves without doing an excursion from the boat?

Not in Maui, but the last day in Kauai is a half day and it is a perfect time to walk from the pier to Kalapaki Bay and beach just a shirt distance away. It is a beautiful, calm, protected bay where the Mariott Hotel sits and there is lots of shopping down the beach side and also across the street. The Mariott has a Dukes restaurant with outdoor seating and there are other eateries as well. The beach has lots of grassy areas and is tree shaded. There are vendors there for water toys. Perfect for little ones, and there is something for the whole family. If you don't want the walk, continuous free shuttles run from the dock area and drop you off at either of two shopping areas there. The beach is just behind the shops.

The best snorkeling in Hawaii, which for me is calm, clear blue shallow water, is found near Kona on the big island of Hawaii. But it does entail a 20 minute taxi ride each way to Keauhou Bay to meet the Fair Winds Catamoran which goes to Kealakekoua Bay by the Captain Cook Monumet. It is perfect for kids, there are slides, breakfast and lunch included. The water is the most beautiful we've seen, but it does involve some expense.

But Maui has so many beautiful sights that are easily reached by car very inexpensively on your own, like Highway to Hana, Lahaina, Mt Haleakala, Kaanapali Beach that I would see those things and snorkel on another island.

Edited by punkincc

• 1 month later...

Another vote for DIY.

For children I would recommend starting with an easy shore entry, like the one at Kahaluu. It doesn't have the best coral or visibility, but there's a good variety of fish and the occasional turtle, getting in & out is a breeze and it is relatively protected from currents. However, depending on the surf, even Kahaluu can have surges so when in doubt check with the lifeguards and stay away from where the surfers are on the right side of the bay.