Transfer from Southampton question

RevCo0219

Taxi to station and train to Victoria...

I'm a great believer in the trains, but remember you will also need a taxi to your hotel.

After my last cruise I travelled to Oxford by train and it was very simple.

Seconded. We've only used Smiths for Airports going the other way, i.e. from London to Southampton, but have found them excellent each time.

I will 'third' this. I booked them for Southampton to Mayfair in January and they were: punctual; the car was clean; and the driver was most professional.

Plus, they charge at a rate far less than many other companies in the UK.

About a 6 pound cab ride to the National Coach station located in central Southampton - and (if you book a promotional fare on line early) usually around 5 pounds to Victoria coach station. It's not "classy" like taking a car, but it's fast easy and cheap. Your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would pass on my experience of our coach trip from Southampton to Heathrow airport after a QE Norway cruise. On Monday 17th June after getting on the motorway we sat in a traffic jam caused by a very bad traffic accident for over 2 hours and nearly missed our flight to Australia. Many on the coach did miss their flights. We had allowed 6 hours for the journey and only made it to check in with 20 minutes to spare. So be careful if using a coach in the afternoon.

Just thought I would pass on my experience of our coach trip from Southampton to Heathrow airport after a QE Norway cruise. On Monday 17th June after getting on the motorway we sat in a traffic jam caused by a very bad traffic accident for over 2 hours and nearly missed our flight to Australia. Many on the coach did miss their flights. We had allowed 6 hours for the journey and only made it to check in with 20 minutes to spare. So be careful if using a coach in the afternoon.

Another good reason to use the train. Southwest Trains operates every 30 minutes from Southampton Central to London - journey time is 1 hour 29 minutes.

Detailed schedule can be obtained here:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

Just received a quote of GBP75 for a car from Heathrow to Southampton Docks from 'aquacars.co.uk' who are based in Portsmouth. Try them. We used them twice last year and the trips were very good. Fare may be a little higher into London plus a 'congestion' charge. Can't hurt to ask...

Trains from Southampton Central go to London Waterloo, not Victoria, but net effect is pretty small. The taxi ride might take a few minutes more and cost a pound or so more, but the trains are the easiest way into town, no motorway delays.

Mike.

Trains from Southampton Central go to London Waterloo, not Victoria.

Oh, shame on me...

But then you have the opportunity to travel on to Paris or Brussels by train for a decent dinner

Another good reason to use the train. Southwest Trains operates every 30 minutes from Southampton Central to London - journey time is 1 hour 29 minutes.

Detailed schedule can be obtained here:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

The train is great if you don't carry luggage. I wouldn't recommend it if you are taking bags as there really is nowhere to store them in the seating cabin area.

Strongly recommend a car or a coach service.

The train is great if you don't carry luggage. I wouldn't recommend it if you are taking bags as there really is nowhere to store them in the seating cabin area.

Strongly recommend a car or a coach service.

There were racks for luggage on the Waterloo to Southampton train I caught.

There were racks for luggage on the Waterloo to Southampton train I caught.

I think it might depend on the train and time of day. I wouldn't chance it.

Having taken the train, used a coach service and car service on various holidays, I'm a fan of the latter two.

But ultimately it comes down to personal choice, time and money.

I thoroughly recommend West Quay taxi service. The price is 100 pounds each way for two people. This is much less than Cunards wanted for travel on a Coach. They were on time, professional and the cars were clean and large enough for our luggage for 15 days.

A little costlier than some, but well worth it.

Seconded. We've only used Smiths for Airports going the other way, i.e. from London to Southampton, but have found them excellent each time.

Hello!

So, what do they charge for this round trip, London Heathrow Airport to/from Southampton?

2 people going July 15.

Have a great day!

Thanks.

Evangelize

• 3 months later...

We used this company for three transfers on a recent cruise: to London, to Soton and back to Heathrow. Professional and "spot on" service in clean, arrived early cars with impeccable drivers. Won't be considering anyone else next Sept. when back on a cruise there.

Archived