Just back from the Ruby;12 day Greek Isles

TW6cruiser

We four Australians have booked a private full day tour of rome including "the major attractions on 5th October 2013 - pick up and drop back to ship. We would like two other people to join us to share the cost. Cost for the tour is 650 euros per car. So if we had 6 people would be 108 euros each for the tour plus extra for the admission fees to Vatican etc. Please let me know if you are interested and I can provide details of trip. :)

I think we had a good mix of ship tours and DIY. We did DIY in Dubrovnik, Corfu, Mykonos and Santorini and also we walked around Naples on our own (as we have already been to Capri, Pompeii,etc.). All the places we did DIY it was very easy. I explained Santorini in an earlier reply on this post. For the other places there was either a ship shuttle or port shuttle to get you to and from the main town area. We really enjoyed our ship tours in Olympia, Athens and Ephesus (tour names also listed above). I think those would be hard places to do on your own but people do. We liked our guides and learned a lot.

How was walking around Naples on your own? We have done the big things from Naples, so were going to do this port on our own and go to the museum in Naples, which is supposed to be excellent, and have a pizza which supposedly was invented there. Did you do either?

Santorini: I would not hike between Fira and Oia as it is a long way and you can see the same views from the bus between the cities. We did not take a ship tour. When we got off the ship's tender, we decided to take a boat from Fira to Oia. I had read about that on the Greek Islands portion of the Cruise Critic web site. We paid 20 euro each and took the boat from Fira to Oia. We had great views of the island on the short ride. Then they met us immediately and took us in a mini bus from the small port in Oia up to the main town (just a few minute ride). We then got vouchers (included in the price) to take the NST bus from Oia to Fira (times available for return were 11, noon or 1 pm). We then had all morning to walk around Oia at our own pace. The only downside was we had to wait in Fira for about a half hour until the boat left but other than that the combo boat/bus trip was good. The views are amazing and we enjoyed the morning walking around Oia town. (again, see the Greece section of the forums for pictures and info on Santorini). Then we took the noon bus to Fira and walked around some and shopped a bit. Fira was starting to get crowded so we did not stay very long. It is much more congested than Oia. After some snacks, we took the cable car back down to the port from Fira (tickets not included in the price above) and took the ship tender back to the port.

Thanks so much for posting! We have been waiting to see a thread like this, since we are going soon on the Ruby.

Could you tell me what company you used to take the boat from the ship to Oia? Is it possible to book in advance? Did the boat leave directly from where the tenders docked? We signed up for the ship's tour there, but the way you did it may be better. Thanks again - I think you may be getting some more questions from people in our roll call!

A lot of great info here! Just wondering since this is our first time on a cruise, can men and/or women wear jeans to dinner? Are khaki shorts allowed for men? Or would we have to eat at a buffet with this dress on normal nights?

A lot of great info here! Just wondering since this is our first time on a cruise, can men and/or women wear jeans to dinner? Are khaki shorts allowed for men? Or would we have to eat at a buffet with this dress on normal nights?

jeans are permitted on non formal nights. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner, but yes for breakfast and lunch.

There was a shuttle in Dubrovnik which let you off right at the entrance to the old town. It was 10 euro each for round trip. It was very easy.

People had on nice jeans on non-formal nights, but no shorts, in the formal dining rooms. In the buffet, you can wear shorts any night.

As for Santorini, I don't recall the name of the company for the boat but it was the same company as the cruise line used for the tenders. There were brochures on the tender bus. When you get off the tender and go to the left (on the way to the cable car entrance) you will see it right at the port. It's only one company so you can't miss it.

As for Naples, there was a shuttle to the main cruise terminal as our ship was docked about a mile away from the main terminal. The museum is supposed to be excellent but was closed on Tuesdays which was the day of the week we were there. So we walked around and went to the Royal Palace and walked on the main streets. People on the ship cautioned to be careful in Naples of theft so we did not bring our cameras with us but we had no problems.

P.S., yes our departure from Venice was at around 5:30 pm or 6 pm. We had the muster drill that afternoon (the second day) and then had enough time after that to get outside to watch the sail away from Venice.

Thank you so much for all of your information...it is much appreciated by all of us who are leaving shortly

I was wondering if you took the Princess tender back and forth to the ship for both of the days, I've read it is the most convenient way to go -and if so are there specific times

I'll probably have some more questions later...lol...

This will be our first time on a European cruise and we are looking forward to the 12 day Greek cruise on the Ruby in late August. Thank you for your report. You shared a lot of great info.

We are trying to decide what to do regarding currency for the trip. You mentioned using Euro in Dubrovnik for the shuttle. Did you need local currency for Dubrovnik and Ephesus? Did you bring currency with you or use ATMs?

Thanks for your help.

Mykonos: yes there was a shuttle that takes you from the dock to the edge of town and then you walk a short bit into town. It was an independent company bus. You bought your tickets on board the Ruby Princess but paid that company directly. It was not very expensive. The shuttles ran back and forth all day.

Venice: We did not use the ship boat shuttle back and forth but many people did. We turned in our tickets and they credited us (they charge $15 a person and give them to you automatically, if you don't use them you can get credited). We did not use them as the first day we spent in Venice in the morning on our own (we had arrived a day early ) and when we got to the ship we just stayed on board (it was raining, the only day with bad weather) and the second day in Venice we were on a tour so we did not need the Princess tickets.

Euros: We bought Euros ahead of time in the USA from AAA. We like to already have the money with us on hand when we get off the plane. Others do not and use the ATM's per other posts I see on here so it is personal choice. In Ephesus they took US dollars for the book I bought at Mary's House. In Dubrovnik, you have to have a credit card or pay in local currency for the entrance to the walls, so we just used our credit card for that. Many of the stores in Dubrovnik took credit cards. Some of the places where we got snacks (gelato, etc) would take Euro coins but you had to give them small amounts or exact change so you did not get their local currency back.

Hi.

I will be doing this cruise on 17th June. Can you tell me if there is a shuttle bus in Dubrovnik. I understand that the town is quite a walk from the port.

Thanks

:D

Hello.. We were booked on Alaskan sailing together several years ago. We wound up canceling and did not sail with you.

I remember you are a UK travel agent. Do you have a car service to recommend from LHR to Southampton?

Any information provided is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mary

Mykonos: yes there was a shuttle that takes you from the dock to the edge of town and then you walk a short bit into town. It was an independent company bus. You bought your tickets on board the Ruby Princess but paid that company directly. It was not very expensive. The shuttles ran back and forth all day.

Venice: We did not use the ship boat shuttle back and forth but many people did. We turned in our tickets and they credited us (they charge $15 a person and give them to you automatically, if you don't use them you can get credited). We did not use them as the first day we spent in Venice in the morning on our own (we had arrived a day early ) and when we got to the ship we just stayed on board (it was raining, the only day with bad weather) and the second day in Venice we were on a tour so we did not need the Princess tickets.

Euros: We bought Euros ahead of time in the USA from AAA. We like to already have the money with us on hand when we get off the plane. Others do not and use the ATM's per other posts I see on here so it is personal choice. In Ephesus they took US dollars for the book I bought at Mary's House. In Dubrovnik, you have to have a credit card or pay in local currency for the entrance to the walls, so we just used our credit card for that. Many of the stores in Dubrovnik took credit cards. Some of the places where we got snacks (gelato, etc) would take Euro coins but you had to give them small amounts or exact change so you did not get their local currency back.

Thank you so much for your quick response and have a great weekend

There was a shuttle in Dubrovnik which let you off right at the entrance to the old town. It was 10 euro each for round trip. It was very easy.

People had on nice jeans on non-formal nights, but no shorts, in the formal dining rooms. In the buffet, you can wear shorts any night.

They accepted euros in Dubrovnik? So I don't have to get kunas for the bus or ramparts? what about in the shops and restaurants?

TW6Cruiser -

We are on this same itinerary from Venice on Aug. 28 (ship departs 8/29 at 6 pm).

**What was embarkation like? You said you arrived a day early. What time did you check-in after spending the morning in Venice? Our plane lands at 9:30 am on 8/28 and we'll probably arrive at dock by Noon. Can we check-in and board that early?

Trying to figure out how long the check-in process will be and when we might be able to meet up with a friend who lives in Bologna (2 hrs away) - he will come out to Venice.

**Were the formal nights on "at sea" days?

**Disembarkation in Rome: We are staying 2 extra nights in Rome, but not at Princess associated hotels (found much cheaper accommodation on our own). Reserved a taxi through our hotel from Civitavecchia port to Rome. Right now the scheduled pick-up time is 9:30 am. Is that do-able, or should I change the reservation time to later.

We've only been on one other Princess cruise (Alaska, Whittier to Vancouver, Aug 2010), and our debark group was assigned based on our flight time. But this time we are not flying the same day. Can we request a disembarkation time?

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!

Check in: we got to the cruise terminal around 12:30 pm and I think we just waited about 20 minutes to board. People were boarding when we got there but I can't say how early people were getting on.

Disembark in Rome: I can't answer except to say that you can check once on board. Also near the end of the trip when they passed out the luggage tags and times to leave, they had a table open certain times for folks with problems or who had to change their times.

Euros: one of the earlier posts I answered about euros in Dubrovnik

Formal nights: yes they were our two sea days

TW6Cruiser -

We are on this same itinerary from Venice on Aug. 28 (ship departs 8/29 at 6 pm).

**Disembarkation in Rome: We are staying 2 extra nights in Rome, but not at Princess associated hotels (found much cheaper accommodation on our own). Reserved a taxi through our hotel from Civitavecchia port to Rome. Right now the scheduled pick-up time is 9:30 am. Is that do-able, or should I change the reservation time to later.

Your pick up should be no problem, we have a pick up time of 8 am.

Come join us on the roll call for this cruise

I was on the same cruise and as entertainment is subjective I would say the live bands were excellent, the resident ones were "23 Degrees Duo" and (very good) "Goodtimes Inc". The DJ did play by Calypso pool and Skywalkers and was possibly the most miserable person on the ship though his music was good.

I watched movies Argo and Skyfall, both of which I found very good.

As I said its horses for courses though!

Mike

Archived