Sunshine propulsion issue / problem

W8G4SUN

People who cruise the Sunshine and don't like it, shouldn't gripe about it.

Before spending $1000's on this cruise and the airfare, a simple five minute internet search would reveal that this ship:

1) Is an old CCL ship with a new name.

2) They added extra cabins to make a crowded ship even more crowded

3) CCL has made cutbacks everywhere, it is foolish to think that they didn't make any on this ship.

My mother in law was bragging to my spouse that she got a great deal on a new CCL cruise shipin Europe, sailing in August. I think she'll be able to figure out that the CCL of today is not the same CCL of 2005 (last time she was on CCL). I think she'll realize this before she notices that there is no captains cocktail party.

We were going in August and through all the issues on the ship we rang carnival and they refunded us all our money back when I started about the probs on board

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you book on UK OR US?

Most is easily explainable

For starters, there appears to have been some limited propulsion issues on the Sunshine that was corrected relatively quickly. Propulsion problems happen quite often. Happened on a cruise I was on but didn’t cause anything but a delay getting to port, which extended the port stay. I wouldn’t call what Sunshine has a propulsion problems…at least not yet. You have to realize there are a number of posters here that are totally married to the idea that the Sunshine is bad, everything Carnival is bad, and they’ve drawn their line in the sand. Any issue…they’ll say see told you so, Carnival sucks.

Taking an older ship and updating it, I think, is fantastic. Why go through all the expense of building a brand new ship which would exponentially increase the cost? The hull itself is fine and dandy. Why not reuse it? Some could argue carnival should have done more with the “innards” but that remains to be seen if that’s the case. Maybe they should have? Only time will tell. Maybe it will be too crowded for a Caribbean cruise, but for the European port intensive cruise, I don’t give a S how crowded it is, I’m going for the ports.

Have you read any of the reasons? There were reportedly “workers” working to delay the completion of the ship. Have you ever worked in a Union environment? This happens. We had a trade guy make more than the VP of the company. His area always seemed to have problem only he could solve, on overtime. He solved them…eventually. Management finally caught on. As did Carnival, the ship needed to leave.

The second part on this is – most of these cruisers have made long term plans to go on a European cruise and can’t, on a whim, change their plans. I know I can’t, it’s take it when planned or not at all. If Carnival completely canceled a cruise that I was scheduled for, a port INTENSIVE cruise, because the pool couldn’t be filled, waterworks was only open a few days, some rooms were not complete and the put-put golf green had wrinkles (who gives a F), I’d be livid. I don’t care if it’s 100% complete or not. For this particular itinerary, get me safely to the ports feed me a reasonable meal and a place to sleep and shower and I’d be happy. If I have to go to the gym shower, not problem, but do NOT cancel the cruise. NOT everyone is on these cruises for the ports but a vast majority are on there for this very reason.

Carnival is far from perfect. Absolutely room for improvement. But they are an economy cruise line. Some people just can’t figure that out.

Maybe my ultimate point was lost in my writing so I'll say it this way: after several major events causing extremely bad publicity why would you allow a ship that you have renamed, refurbished and relaunched, leave the dock yard "incomplete" giving all the "haters" and news outlets the opportunity to continue the bashing?

As for the schedules: your customer base is asking for them, if they aren't ready because you are still in negotiations with ports etc, tell the customers that; but don't put out that they are coming at the end of the week; then it will be next week; then it will be the 21st of the month, and so on. Your customer base wants to plan and book and while you are stumbling around, you are losing out to other cruise lines.

DDD specifically stated he had no concerns about safety with the ship.

I know I didn't and yes, I've been on the ship.

I agree with you on the points of safety . What i know with construction worker is here in the USA ,the union worker are the best in the world . There are some black sheep in the group. It is a shame that a few that ruin the skill of other workers .In other countries they don't like US worker. I know what DDD is trying to say. Carnival tried to save money and have US worker work with U P worker , that doesn't work. They don't like US worker. MAY WE ALL HAVE THE BEST CRUISE EVER..... ON THE ALL NEW SUNSHINE. and may the joy of cruising be with you.

Maybe my ultimate point was lost in my writing so I'll say it this way: after several major events causing extremely bad publicity why would you allow a ship that you have renamed, refurbished and relaunched, leave the dock yard "incomplete" giving all the "haters" and news outlets the opportunity to continue the bashing?

1. The referb/renaming was planned long before the major issues came up. You can’t just say, oh well, people are going to complain about the Sunshine, let’s go ahead and tank 100+ million because of it.

2. Unless the Sunshine was 100% complete and 100% on time, there were going to be complainers. If you cancel another cruise date that will cause complaints (a lot of them) as well. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They choose to cut their losses at Frankenstein, give refunds/rebates/OBC, whatever, and finish the ship on the fly (or is that sail ?). Wires sticking out, big whoop, it’s how you get them from point A to point B, pull them, they don’t just magically go poof and install themselves. The question is, were they energized? Highly doubtful. Looks crappy but not unsafe.

As for the schedules: your customer base is asking for them, if they aren't ready because you are still in negotiations with ports etc, tell the customers that; but don't put out that they are coming at the end of the week; then it will be next week; then it will be the 21st of the month, and so on. Your customer base wants to plan and book and while you are stumbling around, you are losing out to other cruise lines.

If the schedule is out, book. If it’s not, book somewhere else. I do that over whine like a B to the big guy about it.

Anybody still doubt Poseidon feels a little put out.

All this bad luck has been predicted since it was announced the ship would be renamed.

Hocus pocus!

Sent from my ST26i using Forums mobile app

Yet both RCL and NCL have renamed ships before. :p:rolleyes:

The maritime experts on here don't care about that or that other lines have propulsion problems, mechanical failures, fires, or problems after dry dock or maiden voyages. They just like pretending they are knowledgable about maritime matters and bash carnival

I'm supposed to sail on Sunshine in January but now, after reading all of the scary posts in this thread.....

I can't wait to enjoy my balcony cabin on that beautiful ship! :p

No fears, no second thoughts at all.

In fact, it's been paid in full since Feb., that's how worried/scared I am.

Yet both RCL and NCL have renamed ships before. :p:rolleyes:

they weren't changed. they were starndardized, going with nowegian ______, and rccl of the seas.

same as carnival did when adding carnival to those ships without the carnival name.

sunshine was a pig of a different color.

I'm supposed to sail on Sunshine in January but now, after reading all of the scary posts in this thread.....

I can't wait to enjoy my balcony cabin on that beautiful ship! :p

No fears, no second thoughts at all.

In fact, it's been paid in full since Feb., that's how worried/scared I am.

Just to make sure, I will do a trial run for you in December. :D:D:D

Paid in full as well, no worries here!

1. The referb/renaming was planned long before the major issues came up. You can’t just say, oh well, people are going to complain about the Sunshine, let’s go ahead and tank 100+ million because of it.

2. Unless the Sunshine was 100% complete and 100% on time, there were going to be complainers. If you cancel another cruise date that will cause complaints (a lot of them) as well. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They choose to cut their losses at Frankenstein, give refunds/rebates/OBC, whatever, and finish the ship on the fly (or is that sail ?). Wires sticking out, big whoop, it’s how you get them from point A to point B, pull them, they don’t just magically go poof and install themselves. The question is, were they energized? Highly doubtful. Looks crappy but not unsafe.

If the schedule is out, book. If it’s not, book somewhere else. I do that over whine like a B to the big guy about it.

So, if I understand you correctly, you would be ok with ordering a new car; having the manufacture give you a delivery date; delivering the "car" on time but "not completed" then advising that you should let your mother-in-law know that she will not be able to go on vacation with the family so that one of the builders can go and work on completing the car while you drive. All I've been saying is that they keep giving the "haters" a reason to hate!

they weren't changed. they were starndardized, going with nowegian ______, and rccl of the seas.

same as carnival did when adding carnival to those ships without the carnival name.

Here is one example.... Pride of Hawaii now Norwegian Jade. If you want more examples I can provide you some

You are wrong Norwegian for one has renamed many ships both while they were already Norwegian and bought from other cruise lines and renamed.

You are wrong Norwegian for one has renamed many ships both while they were already Norwegian and bought from other cruise lines and renamed.

just to bring you up to speed, we are discussing a name change on a ship within a company.

names of ships are usually changed when sold to other companies. Tthe tropical, jubilee, holiday, and celebration have all change names when sold.

So, if I understand you correctly, you would be ok with ordering a new car; having the manufacture give you a delivery date; delivering the "car" on time but "not completed" then advising that you should let your mother-in-law know that she will not be able to go on vacation with the family so that one of the builders can go and work on completing the car while you drive. All I've been saying is that they keep giving the "haters" a reason to hate!

I'd never order a car. If I buy new, it'd be off the lot, very likely a car that has been there close to 90 days or more.

Futhermore, there's nothing remotely close to comparing a car to a cruise ship. Millions of cars are made annually with only a few cruise ships being put into service. To say they're complex is an understatement. If I'm cruising close to a ships refurb completion date, I would understand some items not being fully completed.

As far as the haters, they are going to hate regardless. As I said, they're married to that idea/argument. They'll find something. That's the position they've taken and any issue, however minor, they'll be out in full force like a swarm of locusts.

0102041401400.jpg

just to bring you up to speed, we are discussing a name change on a ship within a company.

names of ships are usually changed when sold to other companies. Tthe tropical, jubilee, holiday, and celebration have all change names when sold.

You did see that I said ones that were already owned by Norwegian didn't you.

Archived