Sunshine propulsion issue / problem

W8G4SUN

Sunshine by any other name, is still the old Destiny, which had a horrific reputation and a long history of propulsion and a/c problems, which evidently weren't addressed. Have YOU sailed on Sunshine, or are you just trying to blow it up parts unmentioned?

Um you didn't answer my question, when did you sail on the Sunshine. And no I don't sail on her until Nov.

Shouldn't believe everything you read. :p

I agree. I have read all these stories of doom and gloom. No way a huge company like CCL would take a chance on sailing with a vessel that is not seaworthy, especially since they are under this crazy media microscope.

We leave on the 28th sailing. I am a little nervous. I've sailed Carnival at least a 1/2 dozen times before, never any problems. I'm more interested in the ports than the ship, although I do expect it to perform as it should. I'm trying to remain optimistic but some people are so nasty, sarcastic and venomous that I can't tell what is truth or stretched lies.:confused:

It's not a new ship.

Carnival is under a magnifying glass right now. Any little thing is going to be blown out of proportion. You don't think any other line is without problems?

So why did't the media blow out of proportion the arrival of Triumph in Galveston yesterday?

I agree. I have read all these stories of doom and gloom. No way a huge company like CCL would take a chance on sailing with a vessel that is not seaworthy, especially since they are under this crazy media microscope.

While it is true that the media as well as some cruisers are waiting for even the smallest of things to go astray for Carnival, that is not the issue.

For a company as large as Carnival, one expects there to be problems, some minor, some major and some that are not even noticeable.

What one does not expect is that there will be those with such blind loyalty to any one particular company, to wax over what has proven to be a media nightmare. Carnival needs to step up and say yes, there have been issues, yes, at this time we are experiencing more then our fair share. In the past we were fortunate to have fairly few mechanical issues that drew the attention of the media as we have had in the last couple of years.

Look at Toyota, they have been dealing with recalls for the past few years and yet, due to how the media was has handled these issues, Toyota has seen a rise in sales.

So why did't the media blow out of proportion the arrival of Triumph in Galveston yesterday?

What are you talking about? Is that supposed to be triumphant? Is that some kind of major achievement in your book?

Not sure why other lines need to be brought in to justify.

And from what I've read, it's been anything but any little thing.

And if it's not new, why have I been reading people say it's new? Was it bought from another company, and that's why it's been so bad?

The Carnival Sunshine was created from the Carnival Destiny. She is NOT A NEW SHIP she's a renamed ship with more cabins added and other spaces redone. They took out the serenity pool aft and made it into something else. If you do a search here on Cruise Critic for Destiny you'll fine all kinds of threads about her.

Many problems that were experienced on the Destiny are now being experienced on the Sunshine which begs to ask although Carnival Corp. did a great job on the interiors, just how much did they do to the mechanics of this ship.

If a passenger on a Carnival cruise calls or Tweets a media source to complain about a problem on the ship at that time, how are they an "anti-Carnival group."

LOL - Yea, my Big Mac today didn't have enough special sauce so I called CNN to complain.:rolleyes:

Get serious.

Not bad for a new ship. :)

Royal wants $479 for rust bucket Navigator of the Seas. Seriously?

Absolutely, Navigator wins hands down.

Rust bucket? The Sunshine aka The Destiny, was built in 1996. It was just redecorated with a few decks put on the top that has confounded many of the operational parts of the ship and further aggravated the plumbing problem. It has continued to have plumbing issues since it's name change and reentry into the seas May 5th. Now the propulsion issues have reemerged/ Both are serious issues you would not want to deal with at open sea. The Navigator is 6 years newer, as it was launched in 2002. On the May 5th cruise, the Sunshine/Destiny had rust, holes, and aged damage and a whole lot of patch work.

As stated above, the Sunshine/Destiny has a history of propulsion and plumbing issues and continues to have them. This can be somewhat livable with lots of ports but on a long crossing this can be very dangerous, but obviously senior management of Carnival does not care.

The senior management of Carnival allowed the Sunshine to sail with blocked emergency exits, knowledge of widespread plumbing issues, and lied in the media. They allowed workers to smoke while applying highly flammable materials, and did all they could to cover up the issues and the severity of the problems. Their lack of concern for your safety is proven by this irresponsible and almost criminal behavior. They have also bought the attention of folks with OBCs, gift baskets etc., who readily attack anyone who says anything about a bad experience on Carnival. Some of those folks are on here using multiple names as well. Employees of Carnival are also encouraged to attack on line those who report a problem with one of their ships. Add to that the stockholders of Carnival and their attacks along with the same words and phraseology only...well... under different names.

A few of those whose words and experience have not yet been wiped off this site, along with the horror reported through other sites speak volumes. If Carnival would release a ship in that condition, think of what risk they are willing to subject you to on an crossing.

The shows and food on RCCL far exceeds Carnival. No string-up-the-pants opening show on their cruise. Shows more Broadway than Carnival's children's Hasbro nonsense.

I guess what it all comes down to, though, is not saving a few dollars, it's how much you value your safety and comfort, and that of your loved ones, and if you can trust the people who subjected thousands of people to unnecessary risk through their irresponsible decisions.

Archived