Sunshine propulsion issue / problem

W8G4SUN

It has been reported elsewhere on face that they arrived late, the tours set off later, but the ship sailed later out of Messina, they ended up with an hour longer.

They were hoping to fix the problem in Messina.

Is the propulsion the thing why the dry dock was extended for 2 weeks? I'm sure it was something to do with engins. 6 weeks and we will be on the ship too.

Really!? My post saying that I hope she is fixed before she gets back to Venice got deleted? Unbelievable. Anyway, I am very stressed to hear the latest about the Sunshine. We leave today and are sailing, err boarding, on Sunday. I do hope this gets sorted out by then. These Med cruises are all about the ports, and it would be a shame to have any of them cancelled. I have been very tolerant of the reports of some unfinished interior stuff, but this would be unacceptable if it continued.

Feeling your pain cx7owner. We leave Saturday to join you as well. I've been keeping an eye out and praying and hoping. I hope they clear this up in time for us if the flooding/smell is true. Even propulsion issues. Finger's crossed.

It has been reported elsewhere on face that they arrived late, the tours set off later, but the ship sailed later out of Messina, they ended up with an hour longer.

They were hoping to fix the problem in Messina.

Is the propulsion the thing why the dry dock was extended for 2 weeks? I'm sure it was something to do with engins. 6 weeks and we will be on the ship too.

Destiny had a long history of propulsion and a/c issues. It appears that these were just glossed over, in favor of cosmetics. Who cares if you're hot or dead in the water as long as the ship is pretty, right?

Am I terrible person for thinking at first, when I hear about problems with the Sunshine, that maybe they'll have to drop the price on the Thanksgiving cruise so much that I can talk my family into a spur-of-the-moment cruise from a port that we can drive to? :o I try to feel sorry for people who have less than perfect cruises after spending so much to go to Europe, but I would love to be on the ship visiting all those ports.

I'm all for trying to get a good deal, but some of us are set to board the Sunshine for the next sailing! I'm hoping all will be resolved so that those onboard NOW, as well as those of us who are about to fly to Venice to board on Sunday, will have a great cruise. We have already invested a good amt. of money just to get to Europe! I don't think you are a terrible person, but maybe you could be a little more sympathetic and considerate?? This is probably a "once in a lifetime" trip to Europe for us. We aren't wealthy, by any means. But we've saved for this and economized for a long time. Hoping and praying that problems will be soon resolved. I can deal with less of the "bells and whistles", but I really want to go to all of the ports, as planned.

Am I terrible person for thinking at first, when I hear about problems with the Sunshine, that maybe they'll have to drop the price on the Thanksgiving cruise so much that I can talk my family into a spur-of-the-moment cruise from a port that we can drive to? :o I try to feel sorry for people who have less than perfect cruises after spending so much to go to Europe, but I would love to be on the ship visiting all those ports.

First off, you're talking 5 months from now. Second, what is a problem in the Med, may not be a problem in the Caribbean. Looking at the itinerary, I believe that the Sunshine could make the schedule with one pod out of service. Remember, the Splendor was sailing for a few weeks without a pod and made schedule (not sure if this has been repaired yet).

First off, you're talking 5 months from now. Second, what is a problem in the Med, may not be a problem in the Caribbean. Looking at the itinerary, I believe that the Sunshine could make the schedule with one pod out of service. Remember, the Splendor was sailing for a few weeks without a pod and made schedule (not sure if this has been repaired yet).

Neither ship has azipods.

Am on Sunshine now. Problem yesterday leaving Naples with propulsion unit, caused us to leave 1 1/2 hours late. Supposed to arrive in Messina at 7:00, limped in sailing at 13 knots at11:00.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Rut-roh..... :o

Neither ship has azipods.

Sorry, was thinking of the Elation.

And you're right, Sunshine has twin shafts. That makes the propulsion problem more interesting. If she is proceeding on one shaft, 14-15 knots is about the best she could do. We will have to see how this unfolds. Repairs to the pitch control system for the props could be done underwater, if that is the problem. Propulsion motor should have been overhauled during refit. Huh.

I know we lost a shaft bearing on the Aloha while repositioning from Hawaii to San Francisco for drydock, but that was caused by previously unknown damage to the ship's framework caused by a grounding in the St. Lawrence river on her maiden voyage. Not sure how much weight they added to the ship, wonder if this could have moved the shafting out of alignment.

Sorry for you folks having problems.

We were on the Breeze last year & missed Monaco for no apparent reason. They announced THE NIGHT BEFORE that we would not be docking because of high winds. According to our tour guide on shore, the weather was fine & other ships docked.

Oh well, I'm sure Gypsy Wynch is right, just part of cruising:confused: I'm pretty certain we won't be visiting the Riviera any time soon if ever.

Hope the rest of you booked have smooth sailing.

Sorry, was thinking of the Elation.

And you're right, Sunshine has twin shafts. That makes the propulsion problem more interesting. If she is proceeding on one shaft, 14-15 knots is about the best she could do. We will have to see how this unfolds. Repairs to the pitch control system for the props could be done underwater, if that is the problem. Propulsion motor should have been overhauled during refit. Huh.

I know we lost a shaft bearing on the Aloha while repositioning from Hawaii to San Francisco for drydock, but that was caused by previously unknown damage to the ship's framework caused by a grounding in the St. Lawrence river on her maiden voyage. Not sure how much weight they added to the ship, wonder if this could have moved the shafting out of alignment.

The minor issue has been fixed. Much ado about nothing.

On a new ship? That's much ado about EVERYTHING!

And just adds on to all the mishaps I have been reading about this ship!

It's not a new ship.

Carnival is under a magnifying glass right now. Any little thing is going to be blown out of proportion. You don't think any other line is without problems?

It's not a new ship.

Carnival is under a magnifying glass right now. Any little thing is going to be blown out of proportion. You don't think any other line is without problems?

Not sure why other lines need to be brought in to justify.

And from what I've read, it's been anything but any little thing.

And if it's not new, why have I been reading people say it's new? Was it bought from another company, and that's why it's been so bad?

Am on Sunshine now. Problem yesterday leaving Naples with propulsion unit, caused us to leave 1 1/2 hours late. Supposed to arrive in Messina at 7:00, limped in sailing at 13 knots at11:00.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Disappointingly, they did not resolve the propulsion issues with this ship during the refit as promised. Guess it is not a big surprise as they never resolved the plumbing issues with the Destiny either. It is obvious to see that all the hype was just about lipstick on the ship and increasing it's profit centers, and not dealing with the most important issues.

How do you know this? When did you sail on the Sunshine? Just Curious

Sunshine by any other name, is still the old Destiny, which had a horrific reputation and a long history of propulsion and a/c problems, which evidently weren't addressed. Have YOU sailed on Sunshine, or are you just trying to blow it up parts unmentioned?

Archived