Sunshine propulsion issue / problem

W8G4SUN

The Sunshine IS NOT A NEW SHIP, Carnival’s new ship will come out in 2016. While other cruise lines will many out before then. The Sunshine is the Destiny and still having problems to her after the lipstick was applied.

And when it hits the Caribbean a lot more problems for this crowded ship and for the younger guest that they will have then Europe had. And if you can get a seat in the very small theater or good deck chairs on sea days you will be lucky.

Not bad for a new ship. :)

Royal wants $479 for rust bucket Navigator of the Seas. Seriously?

I have followed you and am familiar with your site and your contributions to, and comments on this site and appreciate your contributions. BUT I hope you give some thought to maybe you are somewhat biased about Carnival. Your comments about the Navigator are unfair.

Not a good start to our holiday. Our flight to Berlin is grounded in Glasgow due to a fuel leak and we've sat on plane for over an hour so far.

I hope this isn't a portent of things to come :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Flight cancelled. No other affordable options to get to Venice at this late stage so it looks like we will not be getting the experience of the Sunshine after all, just paying for it. :(

So why did't the media blow out of proportion the arrival of Triumph in Galveston yesterday?

I just saw on the TODAY show that they are broadcasting live from her this morning (not the whole show, just a segment). They showed a small clip of Mr Cahill and said that he was giving tours onboard. This weeks 5 day cruise and next weeks is booked solid and she said at reduced prices.

Flight cancelled. No other affordable options to get to Venice at this late stage so it looks like we will not be getting the experience of the Sunshine after all, just paying for it. :(

WOW........... I cannot imagine the frustration with this situation. Can they not make it possible for you to 'catch the ship' at it's next port of call? Considering the number of stops the ship makes, seems like such a terrible waste to leave you stranded at the airport with a paid for cruise and no recourse???

I sure hope things work out better than it seems for you.

I am neither a Carnival "hater" or "lover"; I have cruised on Carnival twice, the Glory and the Pride. I have read the post on this thread and take everything said by everyone with a grain of salt but here is what I don't understand: way claim that Carnival has violated safety, workmanship etc without showing proof, i.e. reports from safety experts, accident report etc and on the other hand, why try to defend a cruise line who takes an older ship, makes some redesigns, additions etc but can't seem to solve the propulsion problems that has plague the ship.

One must consider why a cruise line that has had it's fair share of bad publicity recently, would "re-launch" a ship, then have to bump passenger for construction workers to finish their work and not resolve the problems that the ship had previously. To me, that's like selling you a car with three of four tires, tell you to just go ahead and drive home and while driving home someone will attempt to put the fourth tire on, oh and by the way, leave one of your children at the dealership to make room for the mechanic.

Added to all of this is the bad will that has come from not publishing "ALL" the ship schedules, Pride, Glory and others. JH making comments on Facebook that don't come true (dates when things will happen etc).

All of this name calling, finger pointing does no good for or against Carnival. Want to stop all of this, here's the solution: Carnival, get your COMMUNICATION ACT TOGETHER AND STOP FORCING THINGS TO HAPPEN BEFORE IT CAN BE DONE CORRECTLY.

Man, that really stinks. Insurance?

Absolutely, Navigator wins hands down.

Rust bucket? The Sunshine aka The Destiny, was built in 1996. It was just redecorated with a few decks put on the top that has confounded many of the operational parts of the ship and further aggravated the plumbing problem. It has continued to have plumbing issues since it's name change and reentry into the seas May 5th. Now the propulsion issues have reemerged/ Both are serious issues you would not want to deal with at open sea. The Navigator is 6 years newer, as it was launched in 2002. On the May 5th cruise, the Sunshine/Destiny had rust, holes, and aged damage and a whole lot of patch work.

As stated above, the Sunshine/Destiny has a history of propulsion and plumbing issues and continues to have them. This can be somewhat livable with lots of ports but on a long crossing this can be very dangerous, but obviously senior management of Carnival does not care.

The senior management of Carnival allowed the Sunshine to sail with blocked emergency exits, knowledge of widespread plumbing issues, and lied in the media. They allowed workers to smoke while applying highly flammable materials, and did all they could to cover up the issues and the severity of the problems. Their lack of concern for your safety is proven by this irresponsible and almost criminal behavior. They have also bought the attention of folks with OBCs, gift baskets etc., who readily attack anyone who says anything about a bad experience on Carnival. Some of those folks are on here using multiple names as well. Employees of Carnival are also encouraged to attack on line those who report a problem with one of their ships. Add to that the stockholders of Carnival and their attacks along with the same words and phraseology only...well... under different names.

A few of those whose words and experience have not yet been wiped off this site, along with the horror reported through other sites speak volumes. If Carnival would release a ship in that condition, think of what risk they are willing to subject you to on an crossing.

The shows and food on RCCL far exceeds Carnival. No string-up-the-pants opening show on their cruise. Shows more Broadway than Carnival's children's Hasbro nonsense.

I guess what it all comes down to, though, is not saving a few dollars, it's how much you value your safety and comfort, and that of your loved ones, and if you can trust the people who subjected thousands of people to unnecessary risk through their irresponsible decisions.

Question. Do you just cut and paste the same thing into every thread about the Sunshine? It does get old...

Well, I am starting to worry about our TA on this in November, I just wish CCL would update with the truth.

You have cause to be worried doing a TA with Carnival. The track record of late with ships that break down has not been great.

WOW........... I cannot imagine the frustration with this situation. Can they not make it possible for you to 'catch the ship' at it's next port of call? Considering the number of stops the ship makes, seems like such a terrible waste to leave you stranded at the airport with a paid for cruise and no recourse???

I sure hope things work out better than it seems for you.

Unfortunately the flights were booked separately so there is no obligation on them

Unfortunately the flights were booked separately so there is no obligation on them

I am so sorry to hear about your flight problems - I so hope you can sort it - we are on 16th cruise so trying to avoid all the 'issues' with Sunshine - Good Luck

I'm so sorry. My heart is just breaking for you.

Sailingcajunns is right. If you can find another flight, call Carnival and I'm sure they will let you board at the next port. Good luck!

Not a good start to our holiday. Our flight to Berlin is grounded in Glasgow due to a fuel leak and we've sat on plane for over an hour so far.

I hope this isn't a portent of things to come :(

Sorry. What a disappointment. :(

What I don't understand is if the airline cancelled the flight, aren't they obligated to put you on another flight? That is how it works here in the US. Is it not the same in Scotland?? That stinks! How can they expect you to get last minute fares like that?

My plane from Chicago to London was cancelled in May due to mechanical issues. But they rebooked me (and the rest of the plane!) for the next flight.

Maggie

What I don't understand is if the airline cancelled the flight, aren't they obligated to put you on another flight? That is how it works here in the US. Is it not the same in Scotland?? That stinks! How can they expect you to get last minute fares like that?

My plane from Chicago to London was cancelled in May due to mechanical issues. But they rebooked me (and the rest of the plane!) for the next flight.

Maggie

Slightly different example than Chicago to London which will have mulitple flights per day with larger aircraft.

Problem with easyjet being a low cost carrier, they will only put you on the next available flight with easjet and not on another carrier. Also i dont suspect the flight operates daily.

Get yourself over to Edinburgh and jump on the flight in the morning, its currently £72 one way with Jet2

14th June - 07:00 EDI–10:45 VCE - £72.00

The senior management of Carnival allowed the Sunshine to sail with blocked emergency exits, knowledge of widespread plumbing issues, and lied in the media. They allowed workers to smoke while applying highly flammable materials, and did all they could to cover up the issues and the severity of the problems. Their lack of concern for your safety is proven by this irresponsible and almost criminal behavior. They have also bought the attention of folks with OBCs, gift baskets etc., who readily attack anyone who says anything about a bad experience on Carnival. Some of those folks are on here using multiple names as well. Employees of Carnival are also encouraged to attack on line those who report a problem with one of their ships. Add to that the stockholders of Carnival and their attacks along with the same words and phraseology only...well... under different names.

Proof?

Get yourself over to Edinburgh and jump on the flight in the morning, its currently £72 one way with Jet2

14th June - 07:00 EDI–10:45 VCE - £72.00

Yeah saw that struggling for affordable accommodation tho. Waiting to hear what they can do and of Berlin tomorrow is possible. Been in airport over 9 hrs now :(

Yeah saw that struggling for affordable accommodation tho. Waiting to hear what they can do and of Berlin tomorrow is possible. Been in airport over 9 hrs now :(

Good for you! I would try everything possible to catch up with that ship. Including letting someone from Carnival help you.

what I don't understand:

Most is easily explainable

who takes an older ship, makes some redesigns, additions etc but can't seem to solve the propulsion problems that has plague the ship.

For starters, there appears to have been some limited propulsion issues on the Sunshine that was corrected relatively quickly. Propulsion problems happen quite often. Happened on a cruise I was on but didn’t cause anything but a delay getting to port, which extended the port stay. I wouldn’t call what Sunshine has a propulsion problems…at least not yet. You have to realize there are a number of posters here that are totally married to the idea that the Sunshine is bad, everything Carnival is bad, and they’ve drawn their line in the sand. Any issue…they’ll say see told you so, Carnival sucks.

Taking an older ship and updating it, I think, is fantastic. Why go through all the expense of building a brand new ship which would exponentially increase the cost? The hull itself is fine and dandy. Why not reuse it? Some could argue carnival should have done more with the “innards” but that remains to be seen if that’s the case. Maybe they should have? Only time will tell. Maybe it will be too crowded for a Caribbean cruise, but for the European port intensive cruise, I don’t give a S how crowded it is, I’m going for the ports.

then have to bump passenger for construction workers to finish their work and not resolve the problems that the ship had previously.

Have you read any of the reasons? There were reportedly “workers” working to delay the completion of the ship. Have you ever worked in a Union environment? This happens. We had a trade guy make more than the VP of the company. His area always seemed to have problem only he could solve, on overtime. He solved them…eventually. Management finally caught on. As did Carnival, the ship needed to leave.

The second part on this is – most of these cruisers have made long term plans to go on a European cruise and can’t, on a whim, change their plans. I know I can’t, it’s take it when planned or not at all. If Carnival completely canceled a cruise that I was scheduled for, a port INTENSIVE cruise, because the pool couldn’t be filled, waterworks was only open a few days, some rooms were not complete and the put-put golf green had wrinkles (who gives a F), I’d be livid. I don’t care if it’s 100% complete or not. For this particular itinerary, get me safely to the ports feed me a reasonable meal and a place to sleep and shower and I’d be happy. If I have to go to the gym shower, not problem, but do NOT cancel the cruise. NOT everyone is on these cruises for the ports but a vast majority are on there for this very reason.

Added to all of this is the bad will that has come from not publishing "ALL" the ship schedules, Pride, Glory and others. JH making comments on Facebook that don't come true (dates when things will happen etc).

All of this name calling, finger pointing does no good for or against Carnival. Want to stop all of this, here's the solution: Carnival, get your COMMUNICATION ACT TOGETHER AND STOP FORCING THINGS TO HAPPEN BEFORE IT CAN BE DONE CORRECTLY.

Carnival is far from perfect. Absolutely room for improvement. But they are an economy cruise line. Some people just can’t figure that out.

As stated above, the Sunshine/Destiny has a history of propulsion and plumbing issues and continues to have them. This can be somewhat livable with lots of ports but on a long crossing this can be very dangerous, but obviously senior management of Carnival does not care.

A few of those whose words and experience have not yet been wiped off this site, along with the horror reported through other sites speak volumes. If Carnival would release a ship in that condition, think of what risk they are willing to subject you to on an crossing.

That's quite a lot of accusation there.....posting something like that without anything to back up your statement isn't any better than the cheering squad who thinks CCL does no wrong.

Archived