Have you ever left clothes behind-- on purpose?

Milvain

We're on the Oosterdam repositioning to Auckland NZ in September. As a relatively new cruiser I don't want to cause unnecessary offense or embarassment so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Typically after an extended vacation requiring a wardrobe that doesn't necessarily work in my real life, I ask the housekeeper if they have a use for (or a place to donate) the relatively new gear I won't be needing at home. At the end of a recent Kenya safari, the camp staff welcomed all the fleeces, technical gear and unflattering zip off pants we could provide. A lot of our other trips have been to Central America where some staff actually asked if we had things we planned to leave behind. Either they had a use for them or there is a thriving secondhand market.

We have an extended road trip after this 41 day cruise and I know many new items won't make the cut once we disembark.

Is it insensitive to offer fleeces, rain gear and the like to HAL cabin attendants? I know they have tight quarters and limited space. I can always find a Goodwill equivalent shoreside.

Any thoughts?

We're on the Oosterdam repositioning to Auckland NZ in September. As a relatively new cruiser I don't want to cause unnecessary offense or embarassment so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Typically after an extended vacation requiring a wardrobe that doesn't necessarily work in my real life, I ask the housekeeper if they have a use for (or a place to donate) the relatively new gear I won't be needing at home. At the end of a recent Kenya safari, the camp staff welcomed all the fleeces, technical gear and unflattering zip off pants we could provide. A lot of our other trips have been to Central America where some staff actually asked if we had things we planned to leave behind. Either they had a use for them or there is a thriving secondhand market.

We have an extended road trip after this 41 day cruise and I know many new items won't make the cut once we disembark.

Is it insensitive to offer fleeces, rain gear and the like to HAL cabin attendants? I know they have tight quarters and limited space. I can always find a Goodwill equivalent shoreside.

Any thoughts?

I do understand what you are asking and say THANK YOU!!

I have never done that before, but have heard of others who've done similar and what happens is that you tell your Stateroom Steward and either the Front Desk or Neptune Lounge Concierge what you want to do and they will either themselves, or the Head of Housekeeping for your deck, take it to the Lost and Found and (after cleaning them of course, and keep them there for either an unlucky passenger's use (I say unlucky because if someone's luggage does not arrive before the ship departs........)

I believe that I would be correct also in stating that when the ship goes to a port of call where they have adopted the villiage, orphanage, school, or even something like after a disaster (read Haiti) they would donate the clothing in the Lost and Found.

Joanie

When we have left items in the past we have been asked to write a note indicating that we are donating (giving) the items away so that crew members are not accused of stealing them.

• Like 1

I have purposely left clothing articles and shoes behind. I planned to do so from the start. I often bring DH's oldest underwear with intention of one wearing and discarding it. same for some older jerseys of mine that I would exercise in and discard. They were not useful for donation IMO but could do for one hot, sweaty exercise session. :)

IIRC, many months ago, a CC member stated that to avoid international baggage limit issues for an Alaska cruise, they arrived in Seattle two days early and visited Goodwill for most of the cruise wardrobe for their whole family. And after the cruise (and cleaning ... they had a Neptune Suite) they donated it all back. So, if you can donate the clothes onboard, that would avoid even having to carry any unwanted items off the ship.:)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Thanks for the swift responses! I just didn't want to make more work for the crew, especially on disembark day. Sail- your mention of exercise reminds me that it might be a good idea to pack some work out gear or I won't fit into ANY of my clothes by trip's end!

I have purposely left clothing articles and shoes behind. I planned to do so from the start. I often bring DH's oldest underwear with intention of one wearing and discarding it. same for some older jerseys of mine that I would exercise in and discard. They were not useful for donation IMO but could do for one hot, sweaty exercise session. :)

Happy to learn I'm not the only one who does this. I cruise with all my oldest whites and shirts. The suit coats and sports jackets and neck ties are all over ten years old. If my luggage gets lost, I might be out fifty bucks. When DW loads up on stuff we just cannot do without, we throw out all my old stuff to make room for the new. I try to limit the stuff cannot be disposed of. We have never lost a suitcase, but if we do, it won't ruin the vacation.:D

One cruise, I intended to discard DH's loafers. He was done with them and we weren't bringing them home. I put them in the wastebasket. That night, we found the steward had retrieved them and left them on the table. Repeat the next night. :) He didn't want to take a chance we didn't mean to discard them. Finally I either saw him or left a note and he removed them so warning....... leave a note if you don't want to see the items again. :D

One cruise, I intended to discard DH's loafers. He was done with them and we weren't bringing them home. I put them in the wastebasket. That night, we found the steward had retrieved them and left them on the table. Repeat the next night. :) He didn't want to take a chance we didn't mean to discard them. Finally I either saw him or left a note and he removed them so warning....... leave a note if you don't want to see the items again. :D

*LOL*

its like trying to throw out an old garbage pail *LOL*

I did leave some clothing behind. After my luggage was lost in February I had to make a run to Walmart because I basically had nothing:eek:. I left behind a few pieces that I knew I'd never wear at home. I'm a chunky gal so I doubt if the crew could make use of the clothing. I took it to the front desk to put into the closet for people that have their luggage lost. Even though it wasn't to my taste it was nicer than anything else they had.

I did leave some clothing behind. After my luggage was lost in February I had to make a run to Walmart because I basically had nothing:eek:. I left behind a few pieces that I knew I'd never wear at home. I'm a chunky gal so I doubt if the crew could make use of the clothing. I took it to the front desk to put into the closet for people that have their luggage lost. Even though it wasn't to my taste it was nicer than anything else they had.

Do they really have a such a closet with clothes in various sizes donated by guests to be used by those who don't get their luggage?

Nice of you to donate to it.

Like others, I have tried to throw things in the trash can and our room steward would take them out and fold them. :rolleyes:

Now, I find a place to put things NOT going home with us ... and leaving them in the cabin on disembarkation day.

Another trick is to put them in a bag and take them to a public restroom and put them in the trash can there. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

IF you are leaving them in your cabin, DO leave a note that basically itemizes the items you are leaving for the crew or whoever wants them. (Like blue short sleeve shirt, navy skirt, and such.) The stateroom attendant really needs to have the note to take the clothes whether they want them personally or want to "barter" with them or take them home, or whatever. This it for their protection.

On land trips I have done this as well. In this case it was picnic stuff we needed for an event (travel chairs, cooler, and such). There was no way I wanted to carry the stuff before or after Boston, so we went to a store that has such stuff for low prices. Again, the room attendant was most grateful for the items but did say that she needed a note from us listing what she could have, even though she would not get it until we had checked out. I am usually too "thrifty" to do this, but we really needed the items for one night only, and we were using trains, not our car.

On one long cruise there was a couple who "shed" clothes, good clothes, in numerous ports. Like safari clothes, heavier clothes, lighter clothes, whatever. In their case it was obvious that light luggage was more of an issue for them than money. I do not know where they took their clothes in ports, but they had it all researched out.

Edited by wander

Do they really have a such a closet with clothes in various sizes donated by guests to be used by those who don't get their luggage?

Yes, the had a closet close to the front desk on the Noordam. It's not in plain siight of pax. The front desk ladies were so amazing to me I was happy to pay it forward.

I took it to the front desk to put into the closet for people that have their luggage lost. Even though it wasn't to my taste it was nicer than anything else they had.

LOL. And didn't you shop at Walmart for that? :)

A friend of our's suitcase on his first cruise wasn't delivered and we thought it did not make it on the ship (it was found after midnight, the luggage tag had ripped off). They did offer him clothes from "the closet" and he got a nice polo shirt amongst what he picked. :)

This is something that my family has done for well over 40 years, leaving clothes behind. If the items are unwearable, we put them in a paper or plastic bag in the trash can. If the items are wearable, we fold them neatly near the trash can and leave a note on top saying something like, "We no longer want these items, please reuse or recycle as appropriate." We started this practice when a hotel where we stayed mailed our old clothing to us thinking that we had forgotten to pack the items.

we have done this as well. Clothes & baby items. Pack n play was $49 to buy at walmart. $35 checked bag each way & then thought it would get banged up as well with baggage handling. We just bought one at destination. Donated it to a homeless shelter upon leaving. We have left clothes & shoes, beach toys, etc- we usually will ask our cain steward or hotel housekeeper if they are interested in any of the items. We have had half a case of water, beers, alcohol, juice boxes, etc- I usually check with them as I dont want to create more work for them to have to lug our unwanted items but also dont want to waste if someone can put to good use. The front desk at the Fairmont last trip was super excited to receive my unwanted drinks :). I told them to please not start drinking the alcohol while at work as I didnt want them to lose their jobs because of me :)

On crusies we have given bottles of wine, ETOH, etc to our cabin steward or to fellow passengers that were on back to backs.

Edited by tamsocal

This is something that my family has done for well over 40 years, leaving clothes behind. If the items are wearable, we fold them neatly near the trash can and leave a note on top saying something like, "We no longer want these items, please reuse or recycle as appropriate."

That is exactly what we do all the time! My DH always ends up leaving a couple of shirts/polo/t-shirts that he decides that he's not too keen on. Instead of me packing them they are left with a note. Last time we had some lovely wine glasses that we had picked up while we were staying two nights before our cruise. I just couldn't leave them behind at the hotel...thought "someone" onboard would appreciate them more:)

My shirts are "tall" sized and my shoes are EEEE width. For how much trouble it is for me to shop for clothes and shoes, I can assure you that nothing of mine will be left behind on the ship!

igraf

Yes, the had a closet close to the front desk on the Noordam. It's not in plain siight of pax. The front desk ladies were so amazing to me I was happy to pay it forward.

Thanks. Good to know.

I hope we never need it. :eek:

We recently did this at a hotel with some old shirts.

One of the housekeepers indicated he would be sending them to his relatives in Colombia. We'd rather see them put to good use than discarded.