Money changers

So with one thing and another, I'll be coming into Sea-Tac on Sunday morning and leaving to Vancouver on the evening train. Monday morning, it's pick up be LandSea and depositing at the cruiseship terminal.

All things considered, it looks like any incidentals I'd need cash to pay for won't be much, but some for Grandville is probably a good idea! So the question is: where is a good idea to do this? The international terminal of the airport? Amtrak station? Withdraw cash from a credit union in Vancouver (ATMs on tour route?) somewhen? Hope to find southbound tourists and have an equitable exchange?

You are likely going to do your best deal at a bank's ATM, I would not use a private label ATM. However, if you are only going to be in the city for a day, you are going to find that virtually all retailers and services in Vancouver will accept USD...including the Canadian Post Office and our government liquor stores. The only place that I know of that will not accept USD is our public transit station. So frankly, I wouldn't bother with exchanging your USD; however, this comes with the usual warning...you are going to receive your change in CAD so keep your bank notes small.:)

Good question! I hadn't even thought about needing to change money. We're going to be up in Whistler for a couple days. Should we get some Canadian currency for that part of our trip?

I'm sorry but don't expect to use US Dollars in Canada. Of course a store here or there will take them but the exchange rate is terrible. At the Westin they take your USD at $.88 to one canadian dollar. My hotel was accepting US at a 20% discount like .80 cents to the dollar. It would be best to get Cdn dollars. At the train station there is an ATM. Get a bit of cash and charge the rest.

Good question! I hadn't even thought about needing to change money. We're going to be up in Whistler for a couple days. Should we get some Canadian currency for that part of our trip?

While obviously Whistler is extremely tourist orientated and particularly that from the US, because you going to be in BC for longer than a few hours like a previous poster I would be inclined to get some CAD.

Thanks, guys! Appreciate it.

Cindy,

If you're going to be there a few days, I'd certainly look at how you're going to get the local currency. I'm going to be charging most things, but I expect small, local merchants and anybody I'd want to tip will appreciate getting cash in the legal tender for their banks.

I will get some CAD at American Express in advance of our trip. If I need extra I'll use an ATM, and if I have excess I will exchange back after I return home. In addition to our time in Whistler and our night in Vancouver, our first two cruise ports are also in Canada so I should have plenty of opportunity to spend the money!:D

if I have excess I will exchange back after I return home. :D

Don't go to that trouble, just leave it in an envelope with my name on it at the front desk of your hotel and I will look after it for you until you come back.:D

Don't go to that trouble, just leave it in an envelope with my name on it at the front desk of your hotel and I will look after it for you until you come back.:D

So kind of you to think of the tourists' comfort!;):D;)

Zephyr,

Do you know if the VanCity ATM is connected with any international networks (like the Plus network)?

I know my Bank of America card worked at that ATM, I think most US cards do. I used to use that particular ATM until I found out about the ScotiaBank arrangement that BofA has, which Dan_G mentioned.

ScotiaBank is a bit thinner on the ground than VanCity (or Royal Bank, which seems to be all over the place) in Vancouver. The easiest ScotiaBank ATM to use and find for me is the one right outside the London Drug at Granville & Georgia. I take the Skytrain to the Granville Station, go out towards Granville (past the lower level of HBC), turn right when I get out to Granville and walk a 1/2 block down to Georgia. It's right across the street, just to the left of the entrance to London Drug.

The Skytrain ticket machines accept US credit cards, by the way. You'll get hit with whatever foreign transaction fee your bank charges, though.

BTW-I always use Canadian currency when in Canada. I think it is a matter of respect and common courtesy if nothing else. Of course, I go up there a lot and usually have at least $20-$40 of Canadian money lying around to tide me over until I can get to an ATM. I never change it to USD because I know I'm going to be using it.

Edited by zephyr17

BTW-I always use Canadian currency when in Canada. I think it is a matter of respect and common courtesy if nothing else.

I'm a dual citizen living in the US but most of my family is in Canada so I go back and forth a lot. Your view is certainly a commendable one but nobody in the major cities is concerned about use of US dollars. I mostly use my credit card in Canada and even with the foreign transaction fee the base exchange rate is so good that it works out about even. I always intend to pick up some Canadian cash at an ATM but sometimes don't get around to it. I've several times gone a week with the only Canadian cash being what I got in change from small purchases.

The point being, for those travelling to Canada for the first time, don't worry too much about exchanging money the moment you land. Canada is very tourist friendly. Note that the worst exchange rates you'll get for cash will be in hotels and gas stations, better to use plastic there.

I know my Bank of America card worked at that ATM, I think most US cards do. I used to use that particular ATM until I found out about the ScotiaBank arrangement that BofA has, which Dan_G mentioned.

ScotiaBank is a bit thinner on the ground than VanCity (or Royal Bank, which seems to be all over the place) in Vancouver. The easiest ScotiaBank ATM to use and find for me is the one right outside the London Drug at Granville & Georgia. I take the Skytrain to the Granville Station, go out towards Granville (past the lower level of HBC), turn right when I get out to Granville and walk a 1/2 block down to Georgia. It's right across the street, just to the left of the entrance to London Drug.

The Skytrain ticket machines accept US credit cards, by the way. You'll get hit with whatever foreign transaction fee your bank charges, though.

BTW-I always use Canadian currency when in Canada. I think it is a matter of respect and common courtesy if nothing else. Of course, I go up there a lot and usually have at least $20-$40 of Canadian money lying around to tide me over until I can get to an ATM. I never change it to USD because I know I'm going to be using it.

There are also a couple of Royal Bank ATMs inside Waterfront Station (near the exit to Cordova Street)

That would be the main Vancouver branch of Scotiabank in the Scotiabank Tower of Vancouver Centre. When you exit out of Granville Station onto Granville St. you turn left and walk up Granville St. a half block to Georgia St. to turn right would have you walking away from the Scotiabank and toward Canada Place.

That would be the main Vancouver branch of Scotiabank in the Scotiabank Tower of Vancouver Centre. When you exit out of Granville Station onto Granville St. you turn left and walk up Granville St. a half block to Georgia St. to turn right would have you walking away from the Scotiabank and toward Canada Place.

Doh! Thanks for the correction Putterdude.

Zephyr,

Do you know if the VanCity ATM is connected with any international networks (like the Plus network)?

If you're with Bank of America, they have a reciprocal agreement with Scotiabank. You can use a Scotiabank ATM free of any fees and get the interbank exchange rate. If you're not with BofA, check your bank if it's a major one..they may have a similar agreement.

Good decision to get Canadian dollars. Although US$ are accepted in Vancouver and Whistler, it's not being a very good guest. Local stores in my area don't accept Canadian dollars and shouldn't be expected to.

• 7 months later...
Will the Vancouver taxi drivers take US currency?

Almost certainly - but the exchange rate will not be very good. All cabs are equipped to take credit cards now so even if you're paying a 2-4% premium on your card for foreign transactions it will likely be a better rate than paying in US cash.

I'd pick up some Canadian dollars at a bank before leaving home - while many businesses in Vancouver & Victoria will take US$ you'll usually get change in CAN$.

If you are with Bank of America, you can order foreign currency at your local bank branch before your trip. They do require a minimum $100 purchase, but it is easy to do and generally they will have your currency available for pick up within 1-2 days.