Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

I really dislike threads on gratuities, but after reading this one I had to add what I recently learned. You can believe what I have posted or disregard it.

With the new pre-paid gratuities program, the people that serve you are now paid a set monthly salary, and if I remember correctly it's $1065 per month (or slightly higher).

If that amount is not met when pre-paid gratuities are calculated (i.e., people removing tips from their accounts), then RCI will make up the difference to insure that everyone receives the same monthly amount. Any additional cash that is received is their to keep and they do not have to share it. With MTD, you can not remove gratuities, so the dining room staff working in MTD is sort of protected.

How do I know this, I ask questions to those that work in the payroll area and have received this same answer on several ships since the prepaid gratuity program went into effect.

When someone signs a contract, they are well aware of what they will be making.

I really dislike threads on gratuities, but after reading this one I had to add what I recently learned. You can believe what I have posted or disregard it.

With the new pre-paid gratuities program, the people that serve you are now paid a set monthly salary, and if I remember correctly it's $1065 per month (or slightly higher).

If that amount is not met when pre-paid gratuities are calculated (i.e., people removing tips from their accounts), then RCI will make up the difference to insure that everyone receives the same monthly amount. Any additional cash that is received is their to keep and they do not have to share it. With MTD, you can not remove gratuities, so the dining room staff working in MTD is sort of protected.

How do I know this, I ask questions to those that work in the payroll area and have received this same answer on several ships since the prepaid gratuity program went into effect.

I believe you.

So if someone removes their tips from the sea pass account and give it to the staff directly, the staff will get more money and the line will be out of pocket! Ie still obliged to pay the salary.

What would happen if we all removed the tips and paid cash? Not stiffing anyone? Or are we?

This is great to hear.. I have always wondered this and maybe you know the answer, if you add on to the 15% grat. for drinks ie pool waiter, does that go directly to them or is it put in a tip pool?

This is great to hear.. I have always wondered this and maybe you know the answer, if you add on to the 15% grat. for drinks ie pool waiter, does that go directly to them or is it put in a tip pool?

The 15% goes to the bartender only!:(

It is up to the bartender whether she/he tips out to the rest of the staff.:cool:

The 15% goes to the bartender only!:(

It is up to the bartender whether she/he tips out to the rest of the staff.:cool:

So the waiter that brings you the drink gets nothing?? Even if I add a $1 or 2 on top of the %15 automatic charge?? That does not seem fair at all

If that amount is not met when pre-paid gratuities are calculated (i.e., people removing tips from their accounts), then RCI will make up the difference to insure that everyone receives the same monthly amount. Any additional cash that is received is their to keep and they do not have to share it.

Thank you. You are far more likely to be believed than some of us who have been passing along that information. It's exactly like our land restaurants; a server is paid a very low wage. It's highly unlikely that a server would be stiffed by 100%, but if that were to happen, s/he is guaranteed minimum wage.

Why are you rolling your eyes at me:confused:? Do you ask every service/hospitality person in a tipping position what their financial obligations are before renduring your tip? If the waitress at the diner is supporting 11 family members on her wages does that make her worthy of a greater tip than if she were only responsible for herself? I didn't think so.

Whatever.

If I knew a good server were supporting 11 children, I just might tip her extra because I want to.

Back in our farming days, one Latino family returned every summer to work for us. We paid more than minimum wage, I might add, because they knew we'd be sunk without them. Anyway, knowing these guys were sending their earnings home to support immediate and extended family, we enjoyed sharing a bit extra, whether cash, supplies for their farms back home, stuff for their children, a special hat or jacket for the family patriarch.

So, yes, there are a few of us out here who take circumstances into consideration. It's not because they are "more worthy," nor are we arrogant and condescending. We simply want to share a bit of our good fortune. Nothing wrong with that.

So, yes, there are a few of us out here who take circumstances into consideration. It's not because they are "more worthy," nor are we arrogant and condescending. We simply want to share a bit of our good fortune. Nothing wrong with that.

Massive LIKE...well said.. :)

Thank you...I thought his response was rude.

Whatever.

If I knew a good server were supporting 11 children, I just might tip her extra because I want to.

Back in our farming days, one Latino family returned every summer to work for us. We paid more than minimum wage, I might add, because they knew we'd be sunk without them. Anyway, knowing these guys were sending their earnings home to support immediate and extended family, we enjoyed sharing a bit extra, whether cash, supplies for their farms back home, stuff for their children, a special hat or jacket for the family patriarch.

Is this information that someone voluntarily offered to you or did you put the effort into actively seeking it out?

It was and i am not going to tell you who told me but it was a poor cruise for us.

Been on this ship too many times and the standards have fallen, waiting reply FROM USA TO MY COMMENTS.

Will post cruise report after i hear from USA.

just one thing, if anybody wants to visit the Volvo Museum, do not book trip as the ship docks 100 yards from it, pick another trip and visit it on your return. $12 dollars to get in.

j

Grats please remember that staff are on a very low basic wage ( was $50) this was made up by RCCL To a miminum wage, depending on area.

But any cash they recieved had to be declared as this was taken off the amount (difference) from their basic and the the rate given by rccl.

If they recieved anything over this amount that of course they could keep.

If they told RCCL IS ANOTHER STORY.

CONUNDRUM

I tip, pay up front, give extra to staff, do i have MUG written on my forehead ??

Because i am subsidising the STIFFERS. if i did not tip could have saved at least $400+

Want tips included in the upfront price

j

Cabin Steward

We had prepaid for MTD and he knew this.

If you work out his time a week at 12 a day ie 84 hours a week

84 times 9 month contract 39 equals 3276 hours

12 cabins x 2 people x 3.85 divided by 12 hours equals an hourly rate of $7.70 an hour.

j

Just a quick correction to this. Two weeks ago on Adventure the Hotel Directer took part in Captains Corner Q&A was asked about contract lengths etc. he said on RCI cabin stewards, waiters etc work 6 months on 6 weeks off. The top tier ie senior officers work 10 weeks on 10 weeks off. (There is a management level in between but I cant remember their contract). Those who work longest on the ships without break are what he called the "blue boys" the ABs and they can be asked to work up to a absolute maximum of 8 months.

So your calculations are a bit off as the cabin steward works 6 months at a time not 9.

Didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I missed this. Anyone who wants to know about staff life on board can read the David Bruns books about his life (waiter/head waiter with Carnival; second book about being an art auctioneer on RCL's Majesty and Conquest). I've working my way through them now, and they've been fascinating. CC has a review about the books if you use the Search box.

It is your business. I totally agree.

But I can hold a view whether you agree or not and this is what freedom of speech is for and cruise critic forums are for, to allow us to share this in healthy debate.

Thanks

We seem to be always debating this to the tenth degree. It always seems to be the same thing hashed over and over again. It is part of the cruise culture and the way it is. So you either cruise or you do not; you either tip or not.

It is always the same group who complain that the people from N. A. make it bad for the one's from Europe. This issue will never be resolved. I can come back here and see the same thing in a few days time. Give it a rest.

Everyone is entitled to provide for one's family. If one can afford to Cruise then one can afford to Tip.

Archived