Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

[quote name='ticktoneer']It is your business. I totally agree.

But I can hold a view whether you agree or not and this is what freedom of speech is for and cruise critic forums are for, to allow us to share this in healthy debate.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but do you really believe voicing an opinion on cruise ship tipping on an online forum is "what freedom of speech is for?"

Freedom of speech is for protecting us from federal government censorship - and nothing else.

In Ontario the minimum wage is 10.25 an hour. That is what I was basing my statement on.

[quote name='jbarn3']$8 is not less than the U.S. Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There are about six states with a minimum wage above $8, but the crew are not Americans working for American wages. Their cost of living is much lower, and not just because their room and board is provided on the ship.

These were the guidelines before it stopped being "recommended." I don't think they publicize a breakdown now.

Stateroom attendant: $5.00 USD a day per guest
Dining Room Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest
Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest
Headwaiter: $0.75 USD a day per guest[/QUOTE]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I say... don't worry about what someone else is paying or what someone's total income might be. You should tip based on the services provided to YOU! That's it! What the cabin attendant may or may not make on annual basis is no one's business.

We always auto tip, but rarely tip extra above. We would only remove the tip if we experienced extremely bad service and this has never happened. I find the whole tipping situation actually puts me off cruising holidays.

People on this forum are aware of the importance of tips to the crew, but in % terms very few people going on cruises are members of this forum. They remove tips, in order to save money, while the rest of us supplement their non payment by paying in full.

If the tips were rolled in to the cruise fare the per person amount could be reduced as everyone would be paying. I personally would feel much more comfortable with this and would not feel that I am 'propping up' the non payers.

[quote name='jackdiamond']In the near future, the tips will be mandatory; hence the tipping threads will be non-existent.[/QUOTE]
This isn't a tipping thread really in terms of mandatory or non mandatory.

The issue I have posted is about people paying extra.

Happy Cruising :-)

[quote name='Merion_Mom']You are wrong. Again. And xenophobia is not in my makeup. I do not, however, suffer fools gladly.

You cannot assert a right to "freedom of speech" on a private message board. The moderators can and will delete anything that they believe violates board policy, and that policy is set by board management.

And this is a U.S. company, therefore U.S. laws apply.

You may start as many annoying and repetitive threads on tipping as you like. I hope that the moderators become as unhappy with them as many of us are.[/QUOTE]
You don't have to look at tipping threads (any of you who are unhappy with them). Just glide on past them there are many others.

Happy Cruising :-)

How come no one mentioned RCI being cheapskate for not paying their staff?

Oh wait because it is easier to have a go at another customer for not tipping to supplement the pay of the employee that the employer is not paying. Rather than have a go at the employers.

[quote name='kruzgal']We always auto tip, but rarely tip extra above. We would only remove the tip if we experienced extremely bad service and this has never happened. I find the whole tipping situation actually puts me off cruising holidays.

People on this forum are aware of the importance of tips to the crew, but in % terms very few people going on cruises are members of this forum. They remove tips, in order to save money, while the rest of us supplement their non payment by paying in full.

If the tips were rolled in to the cruise fare the per person amount could be reduced as everyone would be paying. I personally would feel much more comfortable with this and would not feel that I am 'propping up' the non payers.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. I absolutely agree. Unfortunately your point will be lost on many. They will tell you it is none of your business what other people tip.

They just don't get it!!!! But we who tip are subsidising those who don't! Period!

And it's wrong so come on RCI. Just build it into your costs and let us tip for WOW service if we want to.........

[quote name='ticktoneer']You don't have to look at tipping threads (any of you who are unhappy with them). Just glide on past them there are many others.[/quote][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]But it would be a shame to miss them -- they are so entertaining -- second only to the dress code threads, and a close tie with the smoking threads. :D :) ;)

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='varoo'][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]But it would be a shame to miss them -- they are so entertaining -- second only to the dress code threads, and a close tie with the smoking threads. :D :) ;)

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]I agree - ha ha ha !![/SIZE][/FONT]

:):rolleyes::eek:

[quote name='constable145']Consider this.

Stateroom staff work an average of 18 hours a day. 7 days a week. That is 126 hours. 1008/126 is 8 bucks an hour. That is less than minimum wage.

Is 1008 dollars a week a decent amount of money? Yes. Do they work more than three times as many hours as most people who hold down 9-5 jobs to get it? Absolutely.

They work hard and earn every cent cleaning up after us. Many of us are slobs. They cater to our every need without being asked to our complaining about it. The dining room staff bend over backwards.

Stop being such a cheapskate. If you don't like the price of cruising and disagree with the tipping scheme then stay the hell at home.[/QUOTE]They don't work that many hours a day, but even if they did, in addition to the $8/hour, they also get free room & board.

[quote name='kruzgal']We always auto tip, but rarely tip extra above. We would only remove the tip if we experienced extremely bad service and this has never happened. I find the whole tipping situation actually puts me off cruising holidays.

If the tips were rolled in to the cruise fare the per person amount could be reduced as everyone would be paying. I personally would feel much more comfortable with this and would not feel that I am 'propping up' the non payers.[/QUOTE]

If tips were rolled into the cruise fare it would just be a matter of time before people started posting about how we should be tipping the staff because they work so hard. This is just a subject that will never go away no matter how the cruise lines package the gratuities. Think about it, previously we would read about how people should tip the required amounts and not stiff the staff . Now that there has been a move to auto tipping the threads are now about how people should tip extra on top of the charged amounts. Now the people who tip extra are "propping up" the folks that just go with what is charged to their accounts. This is an escalating issue that will never end on these boards until people start concerning themselves with their own actions instead of everyone elses.

[quote name='ticktoneer']I posted this earlier today on a thread about WOW envelopes and thought it warranted a thread of its own even though it is 'another' gratuities thread.

I know this is me in the minority and a lot of you will have seen my views on tips before but...........

I am always surprised such as on a couple of threads this week when people regularly say they tip the stateroom attendant, waiter and asst waiter more than the shared $12 per person per day.

If you add up how much they are earning they are on a real good whack based on the number of rooms or tables/people being served.

I really do think $84 per week for a double occupancy stateroom is a very good rate when our last stateroom attendant serviced 12 rooms on IOS - a staggering $1,008 per week.

Thanks - Happy Cruising :-)[/QUOTE]

How about you concern yourself about what you tip and let the rest of us do the same. :rolleyes: Frankly it's none of your business.

What is so difficult?

This is a floating American resort. Even if it weren't American, the practice of tipping has been ingrained in cruising and passenger shipping for at least the last century.

There can be few people these days that aren't aware of the norms and expectations of foreign travel. When it comes to cruise ships, the brochures, the websites, the travel documents, the on-board literature, and the TV channels all lay out the recommended and expected minimum level of "gratuities" the staff would expect for providing very good levels of service.

American cultural norms (and this is what you have bought) tend not to incorporate many "add on's" that might be more usual in other countries. For example, compulsory additions such as sales tax often comes as a surprise to foreign visitors because it isn't included in the displayed price. Similarly "discretionary" items such as service charges or "tipping" are nearly always (other than for large groups,) both expected and at a level not dissimilar to the sales taxes those visitors might find in their home countries.
By way of example, in the UK a restaurant tip of 10% may be quite acceptable, but the sales tax (included in the bill) will be 20%. In the US it tends to be the other way around with sales tax in the 7-10% range and tips of around 17-20%. Much of a muchness, but you need to get your head around the fact that the cultural differences mean that the apparent bargain isn't always quite as it seems.

Despite the "tipping culture" evident on so many cruise ships, as well as other international resorts, people keep coming back time and time again to these cruise ships. Why? Well one reason is the fantastic service they receive on-board. Much of this service isn't just good, but is truly excellent! It makes the vacation what it is, and a lot of people like to reward that excellence with the one thing that those staff appreciate, cash!

The standard gratuities fulfil what is expected and is distributed in whatever manner the staff themselves are aware of. However the extra "thank you's" do recognise those individuals who have gone above and beyond, to increase the value of your own personal experience.

Even in those cultures where tipping is less common or discouraged, the room service waiter, the bellhop, and the maids all somehow manage to adopt more international norms when it comes to their expectations. That is true in Sydney, London, Edinburgh, Singapore, and Auckland.

I am typing this sitting on the beach in the Gambia, West Africa. I tip a lot less in the Sheraton here, than in many other places, but the amount still rewards the service and the smiles at an appropriate level.

When in Rome!.......When on the [I]YourChoice of the seas[/I]! ;)

[quote name='yogimax']You seem to be fixated by the issue of tipping. You have posted numerous times on numerous threads.

Why?[/QUOTE]
I do not think I am fixated by it, I find the action of tipping and psychology of it very interesting.

Happy Cruising :)

[quote name='cruisingator2']How about you concern yourself about what you tip and let the rest of us do the same. :rolleyes: Frankly it's none of your business.[/QUOTE]
I do concern myself about what I tip and am within my rights to find this subject interesting and have a view that I would like to share.

Therefore the subject of tipping above 'regular suggested tipping rates' is my business if I have a view to share.

You don't have to read it and could just glide over this thread. It obviously intrigued you enough (even though you state it is nobody elses business) to click into the thread and read it through.

"Frankly" (to use your word) my dear I don't give a damn

Ha ha ha !!

Happy Cruising :)

Archived