Paying More Than $12 Per Day Gratuities

[quote name='ticktoneer']But I can hold a view whether you agree or not and this is what freedom of speech is for and cruise critic forums are for, to allow us to share this in healthy debate.

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, you can have a view that is wrong, if you want. ;)

Your "view" is based on a few rather dubious assumptions. So, just as it is your right to post your view, it is others' rights to tear it apart, because of the gross inaccuracies.

[quote name='Paul65']Yes, you can have a view that is wrong, if you want. ;)

Your "view" is based on a few rather dubious assumptions. So, just as it is your right to post your view, it is others' rights to tear it apart, because of the gross inaccuracies.[/QUOTE]
I agree totally (apart from my view being wrong - lol) - well said !! :)

[quote name='ticktoneer']I'm confused. Why would cruisingator2 be reported for making a comment like that ??[/quote]

:rolleyes: there is someone on this board who reports people for the slightest infraction. Just giving a fair warning. :D

[quote name='Newtoncruise']Very good point. I absolutely agree. Unfortunately your point will be lost on many. They will tell you it is none of your business what other people tip.

They just don't get it!!!! But we who tip are subsidising those who don't! Period!

And it's wrong so come on RCI. Just build it into your costs and let us tip for WOW service if we want to.........[/QUOTE]

I doubt the point is lost on anyone. What YOU don't seem to understand is that it isnt that people don't understand what you are saying, the issue is that you can say over and over how wrong the tipping system is but it isn't going to change how it is handled. Companies have tipped positions because it saves them money, they aren't going to volunteer to pay more if they don't have to.

And getting angry because some don't tip? How useful is that. It isn't going to make everyone start tipping if they don't want to. And right or wrong, it isnt mandatory and they can leave nothing if they so chose.

And really it isn't anyone else's business. Just like it isn't my business to find out how much a steward or mdr server make a month. Nor is it my business to ask you what your paycheck is every month.

[quote name='Newtoncruise']See. I told you![/QUOTE]

I'm just curious if you are so concerned about servers in a restaurant? Do you go up to each table and make sure they are tipping the appropriate percentage? Doubtful. Funny now people obsess over pay for cruise employees but don't care if they stiff the waitress at Denny's who only makes $2-4 per hour.

[quote name='Doug R.']:rolleyes: there is someone on this board who reports people for the slightest infraction. Just giving a fair warning. :D[/QUOTE]
Right I see. Thanks for the warning.

I know I report nasty, malicious, bullying, rude people or those that break the board rules. At least I don't do it for the slightest infraction.

Phew !!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

[quote name='uksimonusa']You are basing your $1008 per week on the assumption that every one of the 12 staterooms is full AND everyone pays the recommended tips,I personally doubt that that is the case every week.

So while $52000 a year is not a bad wage, that allao assumes that the state room attendents work 52 weeks a year, which they do not. So lets take a 8 month on 2 month off contract, that means that most years they work 10 months in a year, that drops the $52000 to $40000, not such a good wage, and there will be occasional years then the 8 months on is in the middle of the year, so they only work for 8 months, that drops their pay to $32000 a year. Also bear in mind that the SRA's have "helpers" on turnaround day that they pay out of their own pocket.

Still not a bad wage, the US poverty level for a family of 4 is $23550, but not a huge wage, seeing as they work 7 days a week for 8 months, and are away from their family and friends for that length of time.

So provided every room is full and everybody pays the recommened tips, then, it is an OK wage, nothing more.[/QUOTE]
Well put, but they and their families are not based in the US, and, more important, nobody forces them to take the job. They are happy to take it.

[quote name='BeachChik']I'm just curious if you are so concerned about servers in a restaurant? Do you go up to each table and make sure they are tipping the appropriate percentage? Doubtful. Funny now people obsess over pay for cruise employees but don't care if they stiff the waitress at Denny's who only makes $2-4 per hour.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ha ! I think you chose the wrong restaurant chain there...........................

It's worth stiffing at Denny's just due to the awful food they serve - lol.

:D :D :D

[quote name='davenew']Well put, but they and their families are not based in the US, and, more important, nobody forces them to take the job. They are happy to take it.[/quote]

That I understand, I just used those examples to show that they are not on such a huge whack, as the OP suggests.

[quote name='ticktoneer']Ha ha ha ! I think you chose the wrong restaurant chain there...........................

It's worth stiffing at Denny's just due to the awful food they serve - lol.

:D :D :D[/quote]
What does quality(or lack) of the food have to do with the service??? You shouldn't base how much you tip (or don't) on the food..:rolleyes:

[quote name='uksimonusa']That I understand, I just used those examples to show that they are not on such a huge whack, as the OP suggests.[/QUOTE]

And that probably explains why you don't see many US or Brits etc, working as waiters or bedroom attendants. But the tipping culture does hide the fact that employers are getting away with paying sub-standard wages, to create profits for the shareholders.

[quote name='PH8']What does quality(or lack) of the food have to do with the service??? You shouldn't base how much you tip (or don't) on the food..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Did you not notice this was a humerous reply by the "Ha ha ha" and the ":D:D:D" ?????

I just don't understand why the wages of the ship staff are such a curiosity for people:confused:. Do those who ask their cabin attendant about his/her wages also ask flight attendants or hotel/restaurant staff what they make in a day?

I just can't even comprehend asking someone about their salary however that salary is earned. Plain and simple, pay what the cruise line says to pay or pick another mode of travel.

For the life of me I will never understand why there are tips. Why can't employers of restaurants, hotels, or anyplace else that people would be tipping just add this into the cost of the product. After that if you had experienced service that you felt deserved more you could give accordingly. It would end all this nonsense that people are talking about. Although I never worked in a field that warranted tips I have friends and family who have. Thes people work very hard for what they received and then I hear that many people stiff them too. Like I said I believe the price of gratudities should be part of your initial product. JMHO

[quote name='varoo'][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]But it would be a shame to miss them -- they are so entertaining -- second only to the dress code threads, and a close tie with the smoking threads. :D :) ;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

[IMG]http://digitalpartner.org/files/2012/09/fb-like-button.jpg[/IMG]

:D Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. :D

Albert Einstein

I find the number of times I have seen the OP and the usual others posting responses and engaging in the tipping threads with him far from a "healthy debate". :( The arguments are the same whether it be tipping, tipping extra, charging service as part of fares, etc, etc. and just serves to confuse new cruisers trying to figure out our own "best practices" that work for us as individuals. It does not matter one bit to me what others do. It only matters to me that I feel I have fairly tipped.

That said, I have found the OP's and the usual others that respond in debating tipping to be invaluable resources and enjoyable to read in any thread NOT DEALING WITH TIPPING and would welcome the opportunity to sail with and meet such well traveled and seasoned cruisers. :)

[quote name='Steeler Nation At Sea']
.............and would welcome the opportunity to sail with and meet such well traveled and seasoned cruisers. :)[/QUOTE]

Great :D

I look forward to meeting you one day and sharing my knolwedge and expertise. How kind of you to say.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']If tips were rolled into the cruise fare it would just be a matter of time before people started posting about how we should be tipping the staff because they work so hard. This is just a subject that will never go away no matter how the cruise lines package the gratuities. Think about it, previously we would read about how people should tip the required amounts and not stiff the staff . Now that there has been a move to auto tipping the threads are now about how people should tip extra on top of the charged amounts. Now the people who tip extra are "propping up" the folks that just go with what is charged to their accounts. This is an escalating issue that will never end on these boards until people start concerning themselves with their own actions instead of everyone elses.[/quote]

Very good i could not have said it better,my next cruise i plan on tipping the twenty four dollar a day and not a penny more.Could care less what anyone thinks.If you want to tip more good for you. :)

If I was totally honest.
I would like to admit that in my culture we are not so tip orientated as in the states.
I have grown up as the same as everyone I know not really tipping that much.
Maybe a few years back in my mum and dads day.
The price you saw was the price you paid.
That amount was set for the service full stop.
Now we have minimum wage,immigration,casual labour,etc.
Only in the past 15 years or so have we started to experience the tipping thing.
This is where the clash between uk and us cruisers lay.
It's not our fault, simply put we in the uk are tight butts and the us are tipping mad.
This is the bottom line.
Yes I tip the taxi,the waitress,the hairdresser.
Once the service has been carried out and we are happy.
The whole pay tips before your satisfied is still a big deal to most of us.
I just do it as i now feel as there's a 'list' I will be treated unfairly,and ridiculed.
And for a quiet life and to be like everyone else.
I do to want to be different just muddle along like everyone else:)
Please stop with the slave labour thing.
If you feel that way boycott cruising.
It's kind of contradictory.

[quote name='charmay']I just do it as i now feel as there's a 'list' I will be treated unfairly,and ridiculed.
And for a quiet life and to be like everyone else.
I do to want to be different just muddle along like everyone else:)
Please stop with the slave labour thing.
If you feel that way boycott cruising.
It's kind of contradictory.
But this has not always been the case here.
It's inbred[/quote]

a 'list' where??? :confused:

I'm confused by the rest of your post as well.:confused:

There's a thread about room service tipping.

Interesting that no one has yet flamed this poster or poured scorn on the fact that there is another tipping thread like they (yes - you - you know who you are) did to me on this one.

Happy Cruising :-)

[quote name='tlatrice']a 'list' where??? :confused:

I'm confused by the rest of your post as well.:confused:[/QUOTE]Apparently the stewards and staff have a list that shows who's pre paid tips and who hasn't.
In a nut shell my post was explaining some uk cruisers can't get there heads round the whole tipping thing,and the ways it's done in advance.
It's different cultures.

[quote name='charmay']Apparently the stewards and staff have a list that shows who's pre paid tips and who hasn't.
In a nut shell my post was explaining some uk cruisers can't get there heads round the whole tipping thing,and the ways it's done in advance.
It's different cultures.[/QUOTE]

Gratuities are automatically added to your SeaPass account each day, so "everyone" will have paid - not much need for a list - except for those who go to Guest Services and ask to have the charges removed.

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Gratuities are automatically added to your SeaPass account each day, so "everyone" will have paid - not much need for a list - except for those who go to Guest Services and ask to have the charges removed.[/QUOTE]
With my time and now traditional dining you pay your tips before your cruise .
However with traditional you can opt to have them added daily once you sail.
With my time you 'have' to pay the tips upon final payment date of your cruise.
on the other tipping thread someone actually saw this list on the stewards trolley.
Yes you can have them removed I know,so yeh pointless I agree.
But I have heard about staff in general having these lists?
True?who knows:rolleyes:

Archived