Newbie hopeful- Oceania dining comparisons?

Petoonya

Husband and I looking at a 14 day Eastern Mediterranean for October 2014 and would be our first time on Cunard.

We are experienced cruisers with Oceania and Azamara being our favorites.

Having reviewed so many of your posts for the last several weeks I'm confident that we will be thrilled with Queen Elizabeth and Cunard.

But have a few questions to pose.

We cruise for the itinerary first, ambiance second and dining third. Oceania particularly has wowed us repeatedly with their menu and cuisine. While dining is subjective can anyone who has cruised with either Oceania or Azamara offer a comparison?

We recently cruised Celebrity Silhouette last month and it was a huge let down. The contemporary decor, the crowds, the Las Vegas-ey feeling and the dining left us cold. We were avid fans of X until about 6-7 years ago when it headed towards a steep cost cutting decline. I realize that this is almost universal in this competitive cruise environment, but is it greatly noticeable on Cunard ships?

Lastly a general comment. This board is refreshingly civil and even friendly! Have yet to find any backbiting or condescending comments, as there exists on another active Cruise Critic board- who shall remain nameless. It is part of why we are so convinced the Cunard ships are where we want to be.

Thanks to you all.

Nancy

I have only cruised Oceania once. I found it to be a different experience from Cunard. I love both of them, in different ways. Oceania is more casual. On Cunard ships I dine in the Britannia restaurant. I would say that Oceania food is better than Cunard Britannia. However, I am not a real foodie so I can't give you many examples.

At afternoon tea, Oceania gives a choice of squirty cream or clotted cream. Cunard only offers squirty cream.

I love desserts but often feel that Cunard's are not worth getting fat over, whereas Oceania's were worth it.

I travel alone and found that on the Oceania cruise that meant I dined alone. On Cunard I am assigned to a table of 10 (my choice) and I have company.

I was on Oceania Riviera on one of its first cruises last June, and there was a very active and large cruise critic group aboard. They were mainly American and Australian and very friendly. They certainly enhanced my cruising experience.

reatly noticeable on Cunard ships?

Lastly a general comment. This board is refreshingly civil and even friendly! Have yet to find any backbiting or condescending comments, as there exists on another active Cruise Critic board-

Nancy

Oh, we have those believe me.

Just stick around.

David.

I have only cruised Oceania once. I found it to be a different experience from Cunard. I love both of them, in different ways. Oceania is more casual. On Cunard ships I dine in the Britannia restaurant. I would say that Oceania food is better than Cunard Britannia. However, I am not a real foodie so I can't give you many examples.

At afternoon tea, Oceania gives a choice of squirty cream or clotted cream. Cunard only offers squirty cream.

I love desserts but often feel that Cunard's are not worth getting fat over, whereas Oceania's were worth it.

I travel alone and found that on the Oceania cruise that meant I dined alone. On Cunard I am assigned to a table of 10 (my choice) and I have company.

I was on Oceania Riviera on one of its first cruises last June, and there was a very active and large cruise critic group aboard. They were mainly American and Australian and very friendly. They certainly enhanced my cruising experience.

Thank you Fantasy. Think I get a general picture of what to expect in the dining room and we'll be able to live with that. We were looking at the jaw-dropping Queen Elizabeth interior photos last evening and it sealed the deal. Our pocketbook will limit us to the Brittania restaurant but oh well.

Booking early is it realistic to expect getting a table for two? Are there restrictions to how many meals allowed in the Verandah restaurant as there are for Oceania's specialty restaurants for the lowly cabins?

And David.....ha, ha, ha! I stayed up late last night reading back into archives here, and while there are some zingers here I don't see the attacks which might make one reluctant to express an opinion. Or maybe I caught this board on a good month.

On "that" board if one expresses anything remotely negative about a cruise experience, even when it is respectfully posed and couched within positive experiences, that person can expect to be piled on. On occasion "that" board's regular contributors can sound like religious zealots, and many, myself included, are intimidated from posting.

Appreciate the comfortable environment here.

Booking early is it realistic to expect getting a table for two? Are there restrictions to how many meals allowed in the Verandah restaurant as there are for Oceania's specialty restaurants for the lowly cabins?

I was surprised to find that we could have free meals in the specialty restaurants on Oceania. On Cunard (and most other lines) you have to pay to visit them. I'm afraid that only the main dining room and the buffet restaurant are free on Cunard. Because of the fee, I assume you can dine in the Verandah as often as you can afford it.

Booking early is it realistic to expect getting a table for two?

I have never tried booking a table for two, but I have heard of people who tried and failed. I was told by passengers that tables for two are very hard to come by.

However, on my first cruise on Queen Victoria (I had previously been on QM2), there was a problem with our booking and we were not assigned a table. For the first couple of nights we just sat at tables where others had not turned up. On night 3 we were given a permanent table for 2. It was not what we had booked but it ended up being for the best as the friend with me was not well and it saved energy when she did not have to talk to strangers.

I was therefore left wondering if tables for 2 are rare or not.

Booking early is it realistic to expect getting a table for two?

Yes you should easily get a table for two if booking early.

We always ask for a table for two. Only once did we not get that and we ended up on a table for six. Fortunately we all got on like a house on fire with our other tablemates all of whom had also asked for a table for two.

Yes you should easily get a table for two if booking early.

We always ask for a table for two. Only once did we not get that and we ended up on a table for six. Fortunately we all got on like a house on fire with our other table mates all of whom had also asked for a table for two.

We try and get a table for six, have only good experiences and made lasting friends. helps to make the holiday so enjoyable for us

I can speak from two recent experiences. I cruised on Queen Elizabeth last December (Rome to Southampton) and on Oceania Regatta in May (Alaska). I agree with Fantasy51 that the two are different experiences, but both are great.

On Oceania, the food is of a higher quality with expensive ingredients. Examples: bowls of fresh assorted berries available at breakfast time, availability of lobster each evening, wider menu selection, breads made from imported French flour, no charge Polo Grill offering 32 oz. prime rib, and real clotted cream at tea time. Kobe burgers, hot dogs and assorted ice cream, sherbets and shakes served in Waves from lunch through the afternoon. All non-alcoholic beverages are included. Everyone on the ship eats in the same restaurants, whether in a penthouse or in an inside.

On Queen Elizabeth I have always been in Brittania. I find the food to be good, just not using as expensive ingredients. Examples: fruit cup at breakfast would be mostly melon with perhaps a few berries, lobster and prime rib served once during voyage. I would rate my dining experiences on the two ships about equal as to food presentation and service.

The Verandah. Certainly worth the extra charge for a menu even superior to that of Oceania's specialty restaurants, which I did not think any better than the main dining room. Only limitation on eating there would be your budget. One suggestion would be to reserve your nights early in the voyage, although I have never been there when the restaurant is full.

Table for two on Queen Elizabeth. On the times that I have sailed on Cunard with a companion, including on QE, and requested a table for two, we have always been seated at a two-top. We request late seating and both of us have prior sailings on Cunard, so perhaps that may make a difference. There really does not appear to be that many tables for two in the QE.

I love the Queen Elizabeth with her Art Deco decor, her beautiful carpets, spacious public areas and refined atmosphere; she is a good choice as an alternative for sailing on the smaller ships.

Sorry I've been busy :D

Best line of the day! Just don't fall down on the job again!;)

Petoonya:

I agree, this board is civil. Compared to some on CC..it is downright milk toast. Of course, it can have it's moments but nothing like I've witnessed on one board...:eek: That board should have a "Beware Approach At Your Own Risk" sign posted.

About tables for two:

We had requested and were granted a two top on both the QM2 and QE. However, as David has written, most of those are very close. I did put on our reservation that I was hard of hearing so, perhaps, that helped getting our request granted.

How close are they:

One day at lunch we had requested and were seated at a two top, a few minutes later another couple was seated at the one six inches from ours. The lady turned to us with a smile and remarked: "You cannot talk to us because we are sitting at a table for two!" We all burst out laughing, as it is really a four top with 'separation issues'. I thought that was a lovely way of 'breaking the ice' on what can be a 'should we or should we not' speak to the other couple question. :rolleyes: There are some two tops that are quite separate from others but not many. We found the QE's two tops (the ones in the section we were using) to be a better distance apart than the QM2's...but still 'kissing cousins'.

We only had one time that the couple seated next to us was, putting it mildly, having a bad day. :eek: (I felt like saying, "They are waiters, dear, not your servants" but my husband kicked me under the table when he knew what was on my mind:rolleyes:) However, everyone else on both ships were wonderful and a joy to meet.

You will love the QE. She is such a lovely ship with a great crew who were amazing to us which was much appreciated. The Lido is great we met the nicest people there who were just finishing up a World Cruise (what a great bunch W. C's. are),the Winter Garden is beautiful, and the QE has-what I feel is the best coffee shop at sea- The Café Carinthia. BTW...try the French Toast for breakfast in the dining room it is delicious!

best regards,

seasidegal.

So for those of you who have sailed with Oceania and say that you thought the food was better than Cunard, how did the price you paid for your cruises compare? Which was most expensive per person per day?

So for those of you who have sailed with Oceania and say that you thought the food was better than Cunard, how did the price you paid for your cruises compare? Which was most expensive per person per day?

Starting prices on Oceania rank about equal to Britannia Club(the cheaper rooms)to easily Queens Grill level(for the larger rooms)It's not as dressy on Oeania, but not dressdown like on Carnival/RCCL etc. more "country club casual"...nice slacks polo shirts & the like. Food is generally better on Oceania. The Grills are the exception..where you can venture off menu.Few cruiselines(luxury or otherwise)offer that. Oceania spends more on food as opposed to Cunard, but Cunard has better entertainment overall.

Husband and I looking at a 14 day Eastern Mediterranean for October 2014 and would be our first time on Cunard.

We are experienced cruisers with Oceania and Azamara being our favorites.

Having reviewed so many of your posts for the last several weeks I'm confident that we will be thrilled with Queen Elizabeth and Cunard.

But have a few questions to pose.

We cruise for the itinerary first, ambiance second and dining third. Oceania particularly has wowed us repeatedly with their menu and cuisine. While dining is subjective can anyone who has cruised with either Oceania or Azamara offer a comparison?

We recently cruised Celebrity Silhouette last month and it was a huge let down. The contemporary decor, the crowds, the Las Vegas-ey feeling and the dining left us cold. We were avid fans of X until about 6-7 years ago when it headed towards a steep cost cutting decline. I realize that this is almost universal in this competitive cruise environment, but is it greatly noticeable on Cunard ships?

Lastly a general comment. This board is refreshingly civil and even friendly! Have yet to find any backbiting or condescending comments, as there exists on another active Cruise Critic board- who shall remain nameless. It is part of why we are so convinced the Cunard ships are where we want to be.

Thanks to you all.

Nancy

Definately try to go at Grill level. Otherwise the "mass" production food will be quite a letdown compared to Oceania. Dining in Britannia will be of the same quality as Celebrity, though the ambience/decor will be far greater.

Oceania was far more expensive than Cunard's Britannia level. That's why I'm not worried that I don't enjoy Cunard's desserts as much as I enjoyed the Oceania ones. We really do get what we pay for. The important thing is to know that in advance, so you don't spoil your holiday with complaints that the food is not as good as you found it somewhere else. The OP is being very sensible finding out these things first, so expectations are realistic.

Done QG on QM2 twice and done Oceania three times in Penthouse grade, and Vista once.

Oceania is a very different product, but superior in terms of quality. Their spend per head on food exceeds even QG, and is fantastic at every level....the only downside is that there is slightly less flexibility off menu, but that's it. The 2 or 4 (depending on the ship) speciality restaurants are streets ahead of Todd English etc.....

Cabins are better laid out and I found a PH on Marina to be far better laid out than a Q5 on QM2 despite being over 80 sq ft smaller.

Service on "O" is better....none of the patronising attitude of the former QE2 crew that you can get on Cunard.

Afternoon tea wise "O" excels.....the only one that comes anywhere near is the Fred. Olsen premium afternoon tea....Cunards QG lounge tea was a pale imitation for me.

It's a no brainer for me.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The dancing is far better on Cunard!

I agree that the afternoon tea on Oceania is splendid! There's a central table with cakes if you want to help yourself. Waiters wheel around trolleys with the same cakes as the central table, plus a few extra. There are often specialty items like crepes suzettes cooked while you wait. Added to that, they serve clotted cream!

Normally I cannot afford Oceania but found a very special deal last year (haven't seen one nearly as good since then) for an Oceanview cabin (and their windows are full length!), and then found I was upgraded to mid-level balcony. Moreover, my TA plus Oceania gave me a $500 onboard spend. I am very fond of Oceania, even if that's the only cruise I ever take with them.

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful replies.

Cost of Oceania has become exorbitant, as much for a 7 day cruise as it was 5 years ago for 14 day. As embarrassing as it is to say, we are foodies and Oceania delivers.

Since starting this thread I've booked a 14 day Mediterranean, and it is 20% less than the same on Oceania for the same time period. With that savings we can have some bang-up meals in port should we decide to. And we were able to get a table for two :)

Officeboy, like you we've enjoyed the company of others while dining on past cruises. But long ago decided that table for two works for us and still lots of time to develop great friendships onboard. Those "what is your profession" questions often asked over meals began to take some of the joy out of my husband's cruising. He's a gastroenterologist, and between jokes about bowels, and medical questions he likes to just be Joe Schmoe onboard.

Thanks once again. Great to be here and read the witty and respectful (mostly) banter.

Archived