Captain's Club host/hostess - what do they do?

cl.klink

The host/hostess has a designated desk, usually near the Purser's office. They are there to provide services for the Captain's Club members. They also host the Captain Club events like the meet and greet, the cocktail parties, the brunch etc. They may or may not join the singers and dancers for a performance or two if they have those skills. You will often find the host/hostess greeting guests with the captain and officers on formal nights.

The host/hostess knows the ship and the crew and can answer most questions accordingly. Every host or hostess we have met on our Celebrity cruises has the best interest of the members at heart and can be an advocate for us while still being an employee of the cruise line.

Additional duties:

They organize who sits at the Officer's Table, and coordinate the invitations. If you are invited, that evening they meet you ahead of time that evening at cocktails, and make introductions, give instructions, and accompany you to the Officer's Table

They will answer questions relating to your tier status, and work to resolve issues with missing cruise points, or with crossovers to Royal's Crown and Anchor memberships

Some have been through the training and can do bookings for future cruises (not all can do this, however)

I was pleasantly surprised to have the hostess contact us when we had not used certain coupons from our Elite sheet of coupons! I believe she contacted us to remind us about the free laundry and some other item that needed to be used before the last day of the cruise.

We were on the Summit to Bermuda.

One of the nicest ones we have ever met is Donnette. She was on the Silhouette when we met her and have seen her on the Reflection since then. She is gracious and always has a smile for everyone.

I agree! A great gal.

What exactly does his person do? How do I find him/her, and what should I ask of him/her?

- Joel

I asked a simlar question a few years ago, prior to becoming Elite. I was told that the role of the Host/Hostess would be more apparent after becoming Elite. Well, we are now at Elite level and are low maintenance cruisers; we have little reason to interact with the host/hostess.

The host/hostess has a designated desk, usually near the Purser's office. They are there to provide services for the Captain's Club members. They also host the Captain Club events like the meet and greet, the cocktail parties, the brunch etc. They may or may not join the singers and dancers for a performance or two if they have those skills.

A little clarification:

There is no Purser on Celebrity ships but there is a guest relations desk and the Hotel Director's office...

On S-class ships the CC desk/office is on deck 5, normally with the future cruise consultants..rather than on deck 3.. On M-class their location has been flexible...

The host(ess) does not organize the "meet and greet": there is an events coordinator for that function.

The host does not organize brunch...that comes from the F&B department..

I have never witnessed a cc host participating with the singers and dancers... but I would be interested in knowing which one(s) are brave enough...;)

Remco! He was seen at Dancing with the Stripes and he was hilarious. But he's no longer a Captain's Club host, although he still was at the time. He's moved on to Future Cruise Sales.

And I believe that our hostess on Infinity in South America in February was in the Crew Talent Show. I'm sorry that her name escapes me at the moment.

But those are clearly "extras" and not something all the Hosts/Hostesses do.

I asked a CD one time about why some CDs do shows and others don't. He said it is because they are paid to do it. They have to present their show to the cruise line and are hire and paid like any guest performer. He did his own show and said that he also had to recruit and pay the band to play for him. Every time you see a performer or employee doing something extra it is because they are paid for it.

I seen our assistant waiter helping to do a art auction, a bar server helping the photographers set up, and dancers doing greeting at the gang plank and they all told me that they get paid extra.

I don't think that they would all lie about it.

If you did not know your age how old would you be?

Remco! He was seen at Dancing with the Stripes and he was hilarious. But he's no longer a Captain's Club host, although he still was at the time. He's moved on to Future Cruise Sales.

And I believe that our hostess on Infinity in South America in February was in the Crew Talent Show. I'm sorry that her name escapes me at the moment.

But those are clearly "extras" and not something all the Hosts/Hostesses do.

Her name is Jennie and she was on the Infinity until May 24th. She is a wonderful host and she has a beautiful voice. She sang at the CC receptions with the Celebrity orchestra.

I believe she was a singer and dancer on RC ships for a time and is a pro.

We were fortunate to have her on the ship for the TA and the BI cruises on the Infinity from May 1, 2001 until the 24 th.

Thank you

I asked a CD one time about why some CDs do shows and others don't.

I don't think that they would all lie about it.

If you did not know your age how old would you be?

I'm just wondering about what you are referring to???

There was a question about the Captain's Club host and I don't understand the response...:confused:

One of the nicest ones we have ever met is Donnette. She was on the Silhouette when we met her and have seen her on the Reflection since then. She is gracious and always has a smile for everyone.

I agree, love Donnette, have sailed with her on century, silhouette and solstice. Really lovely and genuine person.

A clarification, of sorts.....

We have cruised so long that the Purser's office (desk) is now called Guest Relations. The hotel manager is another issue entirely.

While the staff does the physical organization of the Captain's Club events like the afternoon cocktail party, the host/hostess has been the greeter and M C on our last three or four X cruises. I don't think I inferred that she/he organized the brunch just was there to host.

Our delightful Captain's Club hostess on our Infinity cruise was Jennie. She did sing, and quite well too, during several shows. She also shared her sweet baby with us for a few days until we reached Panama.

We have had the hostess in the past pitch in at future cruises when things got busy.

They have very full days and should be thanked for every service they provide for you.

Archived