Snorkeling - who has encountered a shark?

jlk806

a few critters from over the years

ship was stopped and crew was having swim call on the other side when I snapped this from the bridge

manta.jpg

looking straight down from the bow . .

Dolphins.jpg

This is in the Gulf of Haiti ... near Port A Prince . . . somewhat out of place and unexpected . . IMO

Orca.jpg

Diving in the Keys, this guy would not leave me alone . .

eel.jpg

nuf said

Squid.jpg

on a recent trip to Cayman I was diving at Eden Rock while there was a ton of snorkelers above me. I was checking out a good sized nurse shark that was just chill'n under an overhang such that the snork's could not see ... and laughing that if I goosed the shark into coming out I'd probably see all those snork's walk on water!!!!

While staying at a resort on St. Thomas, locals told us about "Charley", the resident 6 ft. barracuda. They said he wouldn't attack, but was very territorial, so stay out of his way, and that if you saw him to stay calm, don't splash or act panicked. No one seemed to be able to tell us where his territory was.

So, we're snorkeling along the shore in shallow water, with me ahead of husband, just admiring all the fish. Looked down and all of a sudden, there he was, just floating about 3 feet below me. I swear he was looking up at me and looked much bigger than 6 ft. Staying calm and still was very hard, but I just slowly pushed away, then tried to signal husband to go around. He spotted Charley like I had, so it all ended well. Without the prior warning, I don't know that we would have reacted as calmly as we did.

I wonder if it was "Charley" or maybe a member of his family we met? Same idea, we were told there was a barracuda in the area. At one point I looked down, and there he was. Teeth and all! Freaked out my then 9 YO niece who was 1/2 back to the boat before I realized it. It's still the main thing she talks about when talking about her cruise. And she says it's one of her favorite memories.:confused:

Archived