Sapphire Princess & Waterpiks

emeltee

I know this is a very strange question, but would one be able to use a Waterpik in the stateroom's bathroom? We have a travel version. In the instructions, it says that it's compatible with global voltages of 100 - 240VAC, 60/50Hz. I know from searching posts that the bathroom outlets have limited power. Just wondering if the Waterpik could be used there.

Why am I asking? My 8 yo just got orthodontia placed and gets all sorts of gunk stuck around the metal. *She* is the one who really wants to bring the Waterpik along. Sigh... there goes my goal of packing light, lol!

Thanks for any insight you can give me with this conundrum!

The outlet in the bathroom is designed and rated to support the use of an electric razor (or similar device), not a hair drier.

It's impossible to give you an answer whithout knowing what the rated amp draw is for the waterpik. My guess is it would work just fine.

Enjoy!

The outlet in the bathroom is designed and rated to support the use of an electric razor (or similar device), not a hair drier.

It's impossible to give you an answer whithout knowing what the rated amp draw is for the waterpik. My guess is it would work just fine.

Enjoy!

Bath outlet will support 110V. No problem. We use an electric toothbrush all the time.

OK, we've got first hand experience with a Waterpik on the Sapphire. Ours though is only a 110V unit. As the outlet in the bathroom is 110V, our experience should be valid.

Nope. There is just not enough "oomph" in the bathroom outlet. The Waterpik sort of works but slows down and will even stop. That's very bad for electric motors as you end up putting continuous current through windings that are supposed to be intermittent. If you leave it on you'll soon smell burning insulation, not a good thing at all.

The other issue is the outlet will not accept polarized plugs (one blade wider than the other). Our solution to that was to bring a plug adaptor, not knowing at the time the outlet's power capacity wasn't sufficient.

Earlier, on another ship, the Coral Princess, we didn't know about the polarization issue. We asked our steward if he had an adaptor. He did not but he did bring an approved extension cord long enough to run from a cabin outlet to the bathroom. That worked great.

Unfortunately on the Sapphire, our steward was not able to get an extension for us so we managed with just flossing, not a good solution for braces though. Point here is that you can't depend on getting an extension cord from the ship.

Now, all that said, there is a portable Waterpik available on the market. It is made for travelers and is rechargable. We have one but prefer to use the standard model. However, it is better than nothing.

We take our travel Waterpik and Sonicare toothbrush appliances. Ours are both rechargeable We keep them in the bathroom but every few days plug them in on the vanity in the bedroom to recharge. We use the travel Waterpik at home too, and keep it plugged in except when we're using it, but it doesn't really have to be.

We take our travel Waterpik and Sonicare toothbrush appliances. Ours are both rechargeable We keep them in the bathroom but every few days plug them in on the vanity in the bedroom to recharge. We use the travel Waterpik at home too, and keep it plugged in except when we're using it, but it doesn't really have to be.

You sound much like us. If we are ever on the same cruise we'll have to compare teeth. :D

Bath outlet will support 110V. No problem. We use an electric toothbrush all the time.

It's not a voltage issue, it's an amperage issue. Most outlets are rated for 15 amps, the bathroom outlet is rated for much, much less.

The Waterpik requires more amps than a toothbrush.

I used my (rechargeable) Waterpik on our cruises and charged them a few times. It worked fine so far on the PCL-Emerald & Grand and also on HAL-Oosterdam & CCL-Destiny & CCL-Magic.

Yep, the rechargeable stuff works great. Taking the one you use at home (which we USED to do), not so great. As MSN-Travelers pointed out, the outlet in the bathroom won't support their higher current requirements due to current limitations.

I brought my clippers on my recent cruise to trim my chin fuzz. Couldn't plug in in the bathroom because it had a polarised plug. Luckily I had an extension cord that I could plug in by the desk. Not pretty but it worked.

Don

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You could always bring an extension cord if it's long enough to reach from the ONE outlet on the vanity all the way to the bathroom.

Be sure to bring a power strip too! If you have a cell phone (or two), an iPod, an iPad, a laptop, camera batteries, etc that all need to be charged every night, you will not be able to do it without a power strip. I bought 2 that stay in my "cruise" bag all the time. That way I'm not searching for one every time we travel.

A 12 foot extension cord also comes in handy. Mostly I use it for my CPAP unit, but it's nice to plug in your laptop or iPad and relax on the bed or sofa.

You could always bring an extension cord if it's long enough to reach from the ONE outlet on the vanity all the way to the bathroom.

Be sure to bring a power strip too! If you have a cell phone (or two), an iPod, an iPad, a laptop, camera batteries, etc that all need to be charged every night, you will not be able to do it without a power strip. I bought 2 that stay in my "cruise" bag all the time. That way I'm not searching for one every time we travel.

A 12 foot extension cord also comes in handy. Mostly I use it for my CPAP unit, but it's nice to plug in your laptop or iPad and relax on the bed or sofa.

This is exactly the info I need. I'll hunt around the house for a 12 foot extension cord. My daughter's unit is not the rechargeable type, so we will need to plug it in.

We already discussed bringing a power strip as well.

When traveling, I leave my Waterpik at home and carry a Panasonic Oral Irrigator EW-DJ10-A which packs well and uses a pair of AA batteries.

I used this as well when I had (adult) braces two years ago and didn't want to travel with a regular model. OP, you may want to consider getting one of these. There will likely be other instances in the future where something like this would come in handy because of the battery-powered operation and compact size (fieldtrip, staying at a friend's house, etc.). Not as powerful as a regular waterpik but enough to do the trick.

Archived