Royal Caribbean - Port Canaveral

Will port canaveral have to make there turning basin bigger for an oasis class?

I do believe the West Turning Basin has plenty of room for an Oasis Class to turn around freely in.

The only thing that an Oasis Class ship has on a Freedom class is the overall width of the vessel. I want to say Oasis only sits a hand full of feet lower in the water than a Freedom too. Freedom is 1112' long to Oasis' 1186' length. And I have watched Freedom spin around on a dime in the West Turning Basin without issue and plenty of room to spare.

But don't quote me on this information! lol.

I do believe the West Turning Basin has plenty of room for an Oasis Class to turn around freely in.

The only thing that an Oasis Class ship has on a Freedom class is the overall width of the vessel. I want to say Oasis only sits a hand full of feet lower in the water than a Freedom too. Freedom is 1112' long to Oasis' 1186' length. And I have watched Freedom spin around on a dime in the West Turning Basin without issue and plenty of room to spare.

But don't quote me on this information! lol.

Im sure that Port Canaverals harbor pilots will go through simulation training if an Oasis Class homeports there

We are interested in a Southern caribbean itinerary too from Port Canaveral.

We did Southern many years ago on Mariner, but it was a 7 day cruise out of San Juan. Definitely want more options from Port Canaveral!

Did a 14 day Southern on Celebrity Constellation and it was great, but out of Fort Lauderdale. Like Celebrity too, but want to drive to PC!

Did you see that the Explorer is doing a few cruises to the A B C islands in early 2015 out of PC?

What about Carnival bringing in ships makes you feel RCI may have to "step it up a little"? Why on earth does one affect the other?

At the time that article was published Carnival was planning on two big ships, Sunshine, Liberty and a smaller Fantasy class I believe to sail out of PC. It would seem they would have more capacity and destination options to offer as compared to Freedom and Enchantment. Well, things are now beginning to change as RCI has announced Explorer OTS sailing from PC late 2014 through part of 2015. That makes three RCI ships sailing out of PC. So they have stepped it up to keep up with competition and demand to sail from PC with its proximity to theme parks in Orlando. With the new Terminal 1 being built, speculation is that RCI will occupy it. This has not been confirmed as far as I know. Should they in fact occupy the new terminal and bring in more big ships including an Oasis Class then that would be great IMO.

No, but will check them out. Thanks! :)

Yep. Explorer is due to be in Port Canaveral and for the time being, cruises are only listed through March 7, 2015 on Explorer. I'm not sure when Explorer of the Seas is due for Dry Dock but my guess is it will remain in Port Canaveral until then. After that it is unknown where Explorer is going, though there are rumors.

Something interesting I was watching while on Brilliance was a press conference I had not seen before about this very topic. And in there they specifically said, "Explorer is going to be home ported in Port Canaveral, giving us 3 ships out of that port which we are very excited about." To me, I take that as it will be called right back to PC after dry dock, whenever that takes place.

Which would raise the question then, where does Freedom go? There's no sense in building a new terminal in Port Canaveral to handle 6000+ passengers just to move Freedom if the current parking situation will work just fine for all three ships using the same terminal. So, hello Oasis Class, goodbye Freedom in 2015/2016.

Here is a link to the information about the channel and turning basin at Port Canaveral... with a quick look at the stats for the Oasis Class ships... it looks like the present conditions at Port Canaveral may be just right for an Oasis Class... but I'm no expert...

http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/navigation.php

The turning basin requirements are....

Swing or Turning Basin Radius

Central Turning Basin: 2000 feet x 1400 feet (600 meters x 427 meters)

West Turning Basin: 2000 feet x 1400 feet (600 meters x 427 meters)

Oasis of the Seas Statistics

Shipyard: Built at STX Europe, Turku Finland

Maiden Voyage: December 5, 2009

Gross Tonnage: 225,282

Length: 1,187 feet (360 meters)

Width: 208 feet (64 meters)

Height: 213 feet (65 meters) high from the water line

Draft: 30 feet (9.1 meters)

Yep. Explorer is due to be in Port Canaveral and for the time being, cruises are only listed through March 7, 2015 on Explorer. I'm not sure when Explorer of the Seas is due for Dry Dock but my guess is it will remain in Port Canaveral until then. After that it is unknown where Explorer is going, though there are rumors.

Something interesting I was watching while on Brilliance was a press conference I had not seen before about this very topic. And in there they specifically said, "Explorer is going to be home ported in Port Canaveral, giving us 3 ships out of that port which we are very excited about." To me, I take that as it will be called right back to PC after dry dock, whenever that takes place.

Which would raise the question then, where does Freedom go? There's no sense in building a new terminal in Port Canaveral to handle 6000+ passengers just to move Freedom if the current parking situation will work just fine for all three ships using the same terminal. So, hello Oasis Class, goodbye Freedom in 2015/2016.

Good info!

There is a 3rd Oasis class coming too! :)

Very good point there. Will have to wait and see when PC and or RCI make an annoucement.

Very good point there. Will have to wait and see when PC and or RCI make an annoucement.

Who knows when that will be. I would imagine things will probably stay fairly quiet for the time being and that we may find something out closer to the end of this year or even as late as the first quarter of 2015.

Guess it all really hinges on when they announce anything with Oasis III.

It is known that Explorer will move to Port Canaveral after the Quantum is delivered and goes into service. Explorer will sail from PC until it's scheduled dry dock period in 2015. It has been speculated that Explorer will go to Asia after it's dry docking period.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Eng23

It is known that Explorer will move to Port Canaveral after the Quantum is delivered and goes into service. Explorer will sail from PC until it's scheduled dry dock period in 2015. It has been speculated that Explorer will go to Asia after it's dry docking period.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This makes sense, as it seems many lines are really starting to focus on that market.

I would be happy to see an Oasis class ship in PC. I hope they will keep the Freedom in PC we love that ship....

Honestly, I don't see them keeping Freedom in Port Canaveral if an Oasis Class is called. Though I suppose the possibility is always there. However, now there is speculation a Freedom Class is to start sailing down under in 2015/2016 I think.

So, right in line with something replacing Freedom in Port Canaveral. Around the same time Oasis III is coming close to, if not being finished.

All these puzzle pieces starting to paint a nice image for us.

So, if that holds true, will Royal Caribbean call another ship to Port Canaveral to keep it at 3 ships? Or let it drop back down to two?

So it would seem then that they are seeing how the market fares with Explorer being the test mule first before an executive decision is made to call a third ship permanately.

So, if that holds true, will Royal Caribbean call another ship to Port Canaveral to keep it at 3 ships? Or let it drop back down to two?

So it would seem then that they are seeing how the market fares with Explorer being the test mule first before an executive decision is made to call a third ship permanately.

You present what seems to be a reasonable scenario.

Royal Caribbean may have to step it up a little more in Port Canaveral as Carnival is moving some big ships there in 2014.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9479.html

Royal has freedom and Explorer is coming down later this year. Rumor has it one of the Oasis ships will be home ported there. But nothing official will be announced till April

The one thing I here over and over is that people want different and varied destinations, and including Southern Caribbean from Florida. I would think that if RCI provided a good mix of destinations and cruise lengths from PC it would do very well with any combination of ships.

Royal has freedom and Explorer is coming down later this year. Rumor has it one of the Oasis ships will be home ported there. But nothing official will be announced till April

Agreed. See my post #57 on page 3.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

What a fantastic debate on who will call Home to the new Terminal at Port Canaveral. Well I think that RCCL should take the new Terminal. PC will still have Enchantment doing 3/4 day cruising that is very popular, Freedom should still stay on the 7-day leaving on Sundays. With Explorer coming over to test the market for a 3rd ship, which will be succesfull.

I predict that Port Canaveral will look like this in 2015 when the New Terminal will be finished. Disney, Carnival, and RCCL will have their own Terminals. Terminal 10 will be a back up Terminal for any of the Cruise lines and for Port of Calls.

In 2015 I think that PC will still have Enchantment doing 3/4 day sailing as it does today. Also an Oasis Class will do the 7-day East/West Carib on Sundays, and the Freedom doing runs out of PC ranging from 7-10 days.

Of course this is only a guess. Hopefully this will be true.

What a fantastic debate on who will call Home to the new Terminal at Port Canaveral. Well I think that RCCL should take the new Terminal. PC will still have Enchantment doing 3/4 day cruising that is very popular, Freedom should still stay on the 7-day leaving on Sundays. With Explorer coming over to test the market for a 3rd ship, which will be succesfull.

I predict that Port Canaveral will look like this in 2015 when the New Terminal will be finished. Disney, Carnival, and RCCL will have their own Terminals. Terminal 10 will be a back up Terminal for any of the Cruise lines and for Port of Calls.

In 2015 I think that PC will still have Enchantment doing 3/4 day sailing as it does today. Also an Oasis Class will do the 7-day East/West Carib on Sundays, and the Freedom doing runs out of PC ranging from 7-10 days.

Of course this is only a guess. Hopefully this will be true.

This would be SWEET !!

This would be SWEET !!

I would love to keep Freedom here for extended cruises offered out of Port Canaveral. I just don't think there will be enough of a demand to fill her up year 'round for extended cruises. Especially when you factor in it's plausible an Oasis Class will end up there.

Let's assume for a second it is set in stone Oasis of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and there will be a third ship. Here is what I would venture to guess we would see:

1) Vision Class; 3/4 night Bahama's Cruise.

2) Freedom of the Seas go bye-bye and a Voyager Class to return to Port Canaveral for varying year round itineraries; Southern Caribbean, ABC Islands, etc. Anything from 5 to 9 night or even longer. Or maybe even a Radiance Class for this option??...(I'm REALLY crossing my fingers for Panama Canal cruises)

3) Big Daddy Oasis of the Seas to take over the 7 night Eastern and Western Caribbean Itineraries Freedom is currently doing. However, something to keep in mind as well is Oasis of the Seas will not tender at CocoCay or Grand Cayman. So I suspect those two ports would be offered on the cruises the third ship offers to make up for losing Freedom of the Seas.

Don't we just love debates? Anything is possible! :D

I would love to keep Freedom here for extended cruises offered out of Port Canaveral. I just don't think there will be enough of a demand to fill her up year 'round for extended cruises. Especially when you factor in it's plausible an Oasis Class will end up there.

Let's assume for a second it is set in stone Oasis of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and there will be a third ship. Here is what I would venture to guess we would see:

1) Vision Class; 3/4 night Bahama's Cruise.

2) Freedom of the Seas go bye-bye and a Voyager Class to return to Port Canaveral for varying year round itineraries; Southern Caribbean, ABC Islands, etc. Anything from 5 to 9 night or even longer. Or maybe even a Radiance Class for this option??...(I'm REALLY crossing my fingers for Panama Canal cruises)

3) Big Daddy Oasis of the Seas to take over the 7 night Eastern and Western Caribbean Itineraries Freedom is currently doing. However, something to keep in mind as well is Oasis of the Seas will not tender at CocoCay or Grand Cayman. So I suspect those two ports would be offered on the cruises the third ship offers to make up for losing Freedom of the Seas.

Don't we just love debates? Anything is possible! :D

(I'm REALLY crossing my fingers for Panama Canal cruises)

+1000 on this !! I live 25 minutes north of PC and don't want to drive 2 hours south to go on a cruise.

Edited by 04mach1