Royal Caribbean - Port Canaveral

I would love to keep Freedom here for extended cruises offered out of Port Canaveral. I just don't think there will be enough of a demand to fill her up year 'round for extended cruises. Especially when you factor in it's plausible an Oasis Class will end up there.

Let's assume for a second it is set in stone Oasis of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and there will be a third ship. Here is what I would venture to guess we would see:

1) Vision Class; 3/4 night Bahama's Cruise.

2) Freedom of the Seas go bye-bye and a Voyager Class to return to Port Canaveral for varying year round itineraries; Southern Caribbean, ABC Islands, etc. Anything from 5 to 9 night or even longer. Or maybe even a Radiance Class for this option??...(I'm REALLY crossing my fingers for Panama Canal cruises)

3) Big Daddy Oasis of the Seas to take over the 7 night Eastern and Western Caribbean Itineraries Freedom is currently doing. However, something to keep in mind as well is Oasis of the Seas will not tender at CocoCay or Grand Cayman. So I suspect those two ports would be offered on the cruises the third ship offers to make up for losing Freedom of the Seas.

Don't we just love debates? Anything is possible! :D

I like to try and see if I can come up with what they may do. I would love Panama Canal cruises embarking from PC. Also, would like Southern Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to keep Freedom here for extended cruises offered out of Port Canaveral. I just don't think there will be enough of a demand to fill her up year 'round for extended cruises. Especially when you factor in it's plausible an Oasis Class will end up there.

Let's assume for a second it is set in stone Oasis of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and there will be a third ship. Here is what I would venture to guess we would see:

1) Vision Class; 3/4 night Bahama's Cruise.

2) Freedom of the Seas go bye-bye and a Voyager Class to return to Port Canaveral for varying year round itineraries; Southern Caribbean, ABC Islands, etc. Anything from 5 to 9 night or even longer. Or maybe even a Radiance Class for this option??...(I'm REALLY crossing my fingers for Panama Canal cruises)

3) Big Daddy Oasis of the Seas to take over the 7 night Eastern and Western Caribbean Itineraries Freedom is currently doing. However, something to keep in mind as well is Oasis of the Seas will not tender at CocoCay or Grand Cayman. So I suspect those two ports would be offered on the cruises the third ship offers to make up for losing Freedom of the Seas.

Don't we just love debates? Anything is possible! :D

See recent article from January 16th by Floriday Today. I posted the link earlier to this thread above, but here it is again. Notice the artist rendering? Hmmmm, guess who might be coming to town!

Source: FloridaToday.com, Jan 16, 2014

"Big ships, big plans at Port Canaveral"

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20140116/NEWS01/301160025/Big-ships-big-plans-Port-Canaveral?nclick_check=1

See recent article from January 16th by Floriday Today. I posted the link earlier to this thread above, but here it is again. Notice the artist rendering? Hmmmm, guess who might be coming to town!

Source: FloridaToday.com, Jan 16, 2014

"Big ships, big plans at Port Canaveral"

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20140116/NEWS01/301160025/Big-ships-big-plans-Port-Canaveral?nclick_check=1

I just read it. Great news in that article and also a great rendering. Seeing how deals have been reached with RCCL and NCL, I would assume we may hear something from RCCL in the coming months.

However, I was wrong about the one terminal handling all three ships. Article says they hope to have cruise terminal 1 up and running by November to help with Explorer of the Seas.

But you don't just put out a rendering like that without there being some background noise being made about Oasis (or one of) being called to Port Canaveral. Definitely a huge hint as to what will be calling it home.

I just read it. Great news in that article and also a great rendering. Seeing how deals have been reached with RCCL and NCL, I would assume we may hear something from RCCL in the coming months.

However, I was wrong about the one terminal handling all three ships. Article says they hope to have cruise terminal 1 up and running by November to help with Explorer of the Seas.

But you don't just put out a rendering like that without there being some background noise being made about Oasis (or one of) being called to Port Canaveral. Definitely a huge hint as to what will be calling it home.

Great news indeed. I was surprised that it did not get more press as it is new news from last part of last week. In any case there are (could be) few clues in the article as you also noted, especially were it reads.

Source - FloridaToday.com

Quote:

The new terminal will be able to handle the biggest cruise ships in service or under construction.

"This will be labeled our big-ship, terminal," Walsh said.

End Quote

Exciting article!

I noticed it said they were pushing for a November completion date to accommodate the increased Royal Caribbean presence.

I wonder who will use the new terminal before (hopefully) Oasis? Freedom and Explorer, Enchantment and Freedom, just Freedom?

When is the 3 rd Oasis class vessel due. Does anyone know? I know they are booking Q already, so I would imagine, if they are expecting a new Oasis class, maybe they will be booking that in 2015?

I think spring/summer 2015.

We should know a lot more once they open up the second quarter of 2015 bookings.

When is the 3 rd Oasis class vessel due. Does anyone know? I know they are booking Q already, so I would imagine, if they are expecting a new Oasis class, maybe they will be booking that in 2015?

Mid 2016.

Exciting article!

I noticed it said they were pushing for a November completion date to accommodate the increased Royal Caribbean presence.

I wonder who will use the new terminal before (hopefully) Oasis? Freedom and Explorer, Enchantment and Freedom, just Freedom?

Hope you are right !! :D

Neat article.

I would like to see more offered out of Port Canaveral. I would LOVE a Southern Caribbean option on either Radiance Class or Voyager Class out of Port Canaveral.

YES! YES! YES! We love going out of Port Canaveral and don't even mind renting a car from MCO and back. Such an easy drive.

Breeze will be in Miami for the time being,and it's superior to Dream.

Now THAT'S the Carnival ship I wish would come to PC. Although RC is really our favoriite I'm anxious to go on the Dream but dread going out of Miami for the first time. We feel at home in PC and is our favorite port.

I personally would think that Port Canaveral would be less desirable because of the fact that there are no airports nearby unlike Tampa, FLL, and Miami. In those cases the airports are a less than 20 minute drive to the port.

I took one cruise out of Canaveral years ago, and we flew in the day of the cruise. We woke up at 3 AM, flew out of Providence at 6 AM, landed at 9 AM, finally got on the 11 AM bus to the port, and finally got on the ship by 2 PM at which time we basically crashed in our rooms until the mandatory drill. It was not enjoyable that first day.

OTOH, I have taken cruises out of FLL, and since the airport is right next to the port, we have shaved two hours off of getting on the ship.

I know that most people here fly in the day before, and I usually do that also, but sometimes schedules do not permit that (Saturday Cruises for example)

Here is a link to the information about the channel and turning basin at Port Canaveral... with a quick look at the stats for the Oasis Class ships... it looks like the present conditions at Port Canaveral may be just right for an Oasis Class... but I'm no expert...

http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/navigation.php

The turning basin requirements are....

Swing or Turning Basin Radius

Central Turning Basin: 2000 feet x 1400 feet (600 meters x 427 meters)

West Turning Basin: 2000 feet x 1400 feet (600 meters x 427 meters)

Oasis of the Seas Statistics

Shipyard: Built at STX Europe, Turku Finland

Maiden Voyage: December 5, 2009

Gross Tonnage: 225,282

Length: 1,187 feet (360 meters)

Width: 208 feet (64 meters)

Height: 213 feet (65 meters) high from the water line

Draft: 30 feet (9.1 meters)

I am probably wrong but wasn't the basin in PC widened and deepened just a few years ago.

I personally would think that Port Canaveral would be less desirable because of the fact that there are no airports nearby unlike Tampa, FLL, and Miami. In those cases the airports are a less than 20 minute drive to the port.

I took one cruise out of Canaveral years ago, and we flew in the day of the cruise. We woke up at 3 AM, flew out of Providence at 6 AM, landed at 9 AM, finally got on the 11 AM bus to the port, and finally got on the ship by 2 PM at which time we basically crashed in our rooms until the mandatory drill. It was not enjoyable that first day.

OTOH, I have taken cruises out of FLL, and since the airport is right next to the port, we have shaved two hours off of getting on the ship.

I know that most people here fly in the day before, and I usually do that also, but sometimes schedules do not permit that (Saturday Cruises for example)

Given a scenario like that I understand your point of view.

But the thing to remember here is what is in the Orlando area as far as tourism. Disney World (Magic Kingdom, MGM - now Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot) and Universal Orlando, Islands of Adventure. Universal Studios is adding in two new massive resorts for on property staying options and there are literally hundreds of new time shares being built as well as additional hotels on Disney property. So I see the expansion of Port Canaveral playing along side with the expansion in Orlando which is a smart idea. Most of the families that visit this area visit for extended periods of time and often take cruises as part of their vacation while in Orlando.

Then factor in that Florida just passed New York in population and the majority of people moving to Florida tend to move to the Orlando/Tampa area.

I am probably wrong but wasn't the basin in PC widened and deepened just a few years ago.

They may have modified the turning basin back when they prepped the port for the arrival of Freedom of the Seas after Mariner of the Seas went to Cali.

They may have modified the turning basin back when they prepped the port for the arrival of Freedom of the Seas after Mariner of the Seas went to Cali.

It was actually enlarged in the last couple of years prior to the opening of the new Carnival Terminal.

Just cruised out of Port C on FR and have 3 more booked on the ship. We booked EX out of Port C for December for the ABC islands. Love the port -- easy for embarkation and disembarkation.

We love it too. It's just so much less stressful than the other ports and so easy to get to for those who live in the south.