Breakaway Suite 11908 ~ Suite Life in an S6

Cannot wait to hear your adventures! I do love Joemar, he was a sweetheart. I'm glad he gets a little break, he works very hard, and always with a smile. Unfortunately, Our next trip is on the Epic, not the Pearl.

I don't recall if I said this here on my review, but I have the same feelings, I would not return to the Breakaway without suite status. Just too many people!

I'll be looking for your review...welcome back! :)

There are 2 DVD players in this suite, one in the bedroom, one in the living room. DVD list is in room, butler will bring your selections. I didn't notice an iPod dock, but my daughter had brought her own mini-speakers.

Thanks for the response. This is helpful.

• 1 month later...
Ah, the balcony! Even some fellow travelers from deck 16 haven suites were amazed at the size of those aft balconies.

Balcony...you had me at "Hello"

232323232%7Ffp54352%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C7898%3B347nu0mrj

This was one of the best aspects of this suite. We took great pleasure in having some meals served on this spectacular balcony. Our butler was wonderful, and obliged us each time.

As we understood it, our balcony was neither the largest or the smallest and ranged in depth from deepest to smallest as 9, 12, 11, 10, 14 & 13. However, I didn't pack a tape measure! Our balcony contained 2 lounges with cushions, 2 deep seating chairs with cushions and side table, dinner table and 4 wicker chairs.

232323232%7Ffp5434%3A%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78259347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3A%3A%3Dot%3E479%3A%3D478%3D347%3DXROQDF%3E2575%3B669%3A5256ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp54396%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78258347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54398%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C578%3B5347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54434%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78944347nu0mrj

Your post was the one that convinced me that this is the S6 I want to book. Thank you for the pictures both inside & out. Love the overhang on the balcony with shaded areas & the door in the bedroom.

Appreciate you taking the time to take & then post all the pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Michele,

DH and I just booked 11308 on the Getaway for our anniversary cruise thanks to your great review and fabulous pictures!! (Loved the shoes as well :))

I really wanted an S6 with balcony access from the MBR and you certainly cleared up any confusion!

Thanks again!

I will also add a note of thanks. Your pictures and narrative comments were quite helpful and led us to booking this suite on the Getaway. I have bookmarked this thread for future reference (and for the cold/snowy days this winter when I need to escape to images of a future vacation).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Michele,

DH and I just booked 11308 on the Getaway for our anniversary cruise thanks to your great review and fabulous pictures!! (Loved the shoes as well :))

I really wanted an S6 with balcony access from the MBR and you certainly cleared up any confusion!

Thanks again!

We were in 11308 for the Oct 6th 2013 cruise. It was a great cabin and the view of the fireworks was perfect. The S6 was the best part of the Breakaway cruise.

We were in 11308 for the Oct 6th 2013 cruise. It was a great cabin and the view of the fireworks was perfect. The S6 was the best part of the Breakaway cruise.

Thats my cabin for March 30th... Did you hear lots of noise from Spice? what about sun, was there enough sun to lay out on the deck? or was it more shade?

I will also add a note of thanks. Your pictures and narrative comments were quite helpful and led us to booking this suite on the Getaway. I have bookmarked this thread for future reference (and for the cold/snowy days this winter when I need to escape to images of a future vacation).

So Glad it was a help to you! When we booked our S6 the Breakaway wasn't built yet, and it was so hard to get any information. I hoped some in-depth information on the S6 would help those who cruised after us!! It is so nice to get such positive feedback from those who enjoyed my thread. Have a terrific time on your cruise!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thats my cabin for March 30th... Did you hear lots of noise from Spice? what about sun, was there enough sun to lay out on the deck? or was it more shade?

We heard absolutely no noise at all in our cabin. We were able to hear the music out on the balcony, but only for the special parties in Spice/H20. They end at 1 am, btw. In the cabin, there is no sound or vibrations. I know those on higher decks had complaints of these. There is both sun and shade on the balcony, but it really depends on which way the ship is facing. We found that at sunset while in Bermuda, the balcony had no shade at all. But the captain doesn't always dock the ship in the same direction, so you may have complete shade during that time. During the afternoon, you should have partial sun and partial shade.

Edited by OnTheGoMom921

Michele,

Thanks again!

So glad you enjoyed the thread! You will LOVE the suite!

OnTheGoMom921 - Would you be able to email me the dailies if you have them? I can't seem to find any other than the ones Zay posted and for some reason I can't download them to my computer. If you have them, my email address is Rosanna0702 at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance!

OnTheGoMom921 - Would you be able to email me the dailies if you have them? I can't seem to find any other than the ones Zay posted and for some reason I can't download them to my computer. If you have them, my email address is Rosanna0702 at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nutley chick! I didn't save my dailies, but I do have a link to someone who posted the Bermuda run dailies. I remember scouring through these before my trip. Hope they help you. They are all in PDF format, and she scanned all the pages for each day! Enjoy!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38519780&posted=1#post38519780

I also felt the need to give him a substantial tip, even though the steward is included in the DSC. They both worked very hard to make our week on board flawless. Also take advantage of the Haven Restaurant. Mr. Singh will make sure you are well taken care of!

Have a wonderful cruise! When you come back, we would love to read YOUR review!!!! :)

speaking of tips... what would be the typical tip for the butler and steward?

thanks!!

we just booked 12304 on the getaway.. wondering if i should change to 11...

The Haven Restaurant menus have been posted on CC a few times. I took advantage and printed a copy out to keep with our cruise docs. I also typed out all our pre-concierge requests and added some items I knew I wanted in the suite, but were not covered in the pre-concierge phone call. We also knew we were having a cabin crawl...SO... here is the actual letter to our butler:

:)

does ncl actually call you before your sail date for requests? I've sailed in penthouse suites before and never got a call.. how far in advance do they call? thanks for a great review!!

Ah, the balcony! Even some fellow travelers from deck 16 haven suites were amazed at the size of those aft balconies.

Balcony...you had me at "Hello"

232323232%7Ffp54352%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C7898%3B347nu0mrj

This was one of the best aspects of this suite. We took great pleasure in having some meals served on this spectacular balcony. Our butler was wonderful, and obliged us each time.

As we understood it, our balcony was neither the largest or the smallest and ranged in depth from deepest to smallest as 9, 12, 11, 10, 14 & 13. However, I didn't pack a tape measure! Our balcony contained 2 lounges with cushions, 2 deep seating chairs with cushions and side table, dinner table and 4 wicker chairs.

232323232%7Ffp5434%3A%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78259347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35%3A%3A%3Dot%3E479%3A%3D478%3D347%3DXROQDF%3E2575%3B669%3A5256ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp54396%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78258347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54398%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C578%3B5347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54434%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C78944347nu0mrj

We have booked what I hope is the same cabin on the

Getaway this October. Is there an extra charge for balcony table cloth service for breakfast? Thanks so much for the fantastic photos.

speaking of tips... what would be the typical tip for the butler and steward?

thanks!!

we just booked 12304 on the getaway.. wondering if i should change to 11...

does ncl actually call you before your sail date for requests? I've sailed in penthouse suites before and never got a call.. how far in advance do they call? thanks for a great review!!

Tips are subjective, there is no right answer, everyone approaches it differently. We gave our butler around $25 per day for the 3 of us and steward an extra $100 on top of the DSC, along with a thank you card and a box of chocolates for each of them. We also tipped the concierge, Haven Restaurant maître D, a few Haven waitresses and our Haven bartender. Whether anyone considers that too much or too little, no flaming please. Each individual can make their own assessment as to their tip amount!

As a suite passenger, NCL will send you a book with your luggage tags and a letter from the concierge department (around 60 days prior to your cruise). They will give you a telephone number to call. They also contact you through email if you have given them your email address as a contact. You will be able to choose your preferences and make reservations at the 55 day mark. This gives you an extra 10 day jump ahead of the standard passenger dinner reservation options. We also stayed in an SF on the Gem, and we received the letter from the pre-concierge dept., I'm surprised this wasn't the case for your last suite cruises.

Cordless phones in suite:

232323232%7Ffp54377%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C79%3A48347nu0mrj

The S6 comes with 1 cordless phone, which can be used throughout the ship. It is useful if you have family on board who will be in different locations. You carry the phone with you, and a caller can reach you anywhere on the ship, just by dialing your cabin number. Very helpful if you are traveling with children/teens, and they need to locate you quickly.

Also, the iconcierge app was a great way to stay in touch with all members of our party. Worked wonderfully with our cell phones and ipod touch.

onTheGoMom921:

First thank you so much for your review -it was most helpful!!! I actually changed our cabin assignment to deck 11 so we will have more room to move around on the sides of the bed :) and having the door to the balcony is fantastic.

I have a question about the in suite cordless phone - I have a 12yr old and would like her to keep in touch with us if she is in the kids camp:

Does the in suite cordless phone have text messaging? Can we arrange another cordless to use?

Do you remember how much NCL charged to utilize the iconcierge app? Did it work well? We have iPhones and we could just use them if this app works well

Thanks again!

Leanne

232323232%7Ffp54377%3Enu%3D56%3A9%3E387%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3484%3C79%3A48347nu0mrj

The S6 comes with 1 cordless phone, which can be used throughout the ship. It is useful if you have family on board who will be in different locations. You carry the phone with you, and a caller can reach you anywhere on the ship, just by dialing your cabin number. Very helpful if you are traveling with children/teens, and they need to locate you quickly.

Also, the iconcierge app was a great way to stay in touch with all members of our party. Worked wonderfully with our cell phones and ipod touch.

onTheGoMom921:

First thank you so much for your review -it was most helpful!!! I actually changed our cabin assignment to deck 11 so we will have more room to move around on the sides of the bed :) and having the door to the balcony is fantastic.

I have a question about the in suite cordless phone - I have a 12yr old and would like her to keep in touch with us if she is in the kids camp:

Does the in suite cordless phone have text messaging? Can we arrange another cordless to use?

Do you remember how much NCL charged to utilize the iconcierge app? Did it work well? We have iPhones and we could just use them if this app works well

Thanks again!

Leanne

according to the inconcierge pdf you can receive calls from home. do you know what the charges are for that? is it still the same 79 cents per min as the outgoing calls thru the app?

onTheGoMom921:

Thanks again!

Leanne

The cordless phone doesn't have text messaging, it is not a cell phone. Just similar to your average cordless home phone. Not sure if you could get another, I do know larger suites like garden villas have multiple cordless phones, so I assume it would be possible. On previous cruises, we have used the cordless to keep in touch with our teen. WE carried the cordless, and she could pick up any house phone (they are all around the ship) and just dial our cabin number to reach us anywhere on the ship. We also didn't have to worry about her leaving the phone behind in the teen club, etc.

We used the iconcierge app, it was $7.95 per person and it worked great on our android phones and my daughter's ipod touch. We texted constantly with our teen. It was so convenient! Loved that app. Download it before your cruise, then activate when aboard the ship. There were times when the Wi-Fi would go down, but it usually was a minor inconvenience, and lasted only a few minutes. It was easy to use, although we needed help when we first activated it. The staff at the internet café was very helpful. .

according to the inconcierge pdf you can receive calls from home. do you know what the charges are for that? is it still the same 79 cents per min as the outgoing calls thru the app?

That, I am not so sure about. When using the iconcierge app, you would place your phone in airplane mode and turn on your Wi-Fi to connect with the ships Wi-Fi. So, there shouldn't be any other charges from your cell carrier, but you would have to double check that, or you could end up with international call charges. I can tell you that we had absolutely no outside charges from our carrier, and our phones remained in airplane mode throughout our cruise, until we returned to New York. However, we only used our iconcierge to communicate on the ship, we didn't make or receive any calls home.