Breakaway Suite 11908 ~ Suite Life in an S6

I'd like to ask a question about breakfast if I could.

I see you had breakfast out on your balcony. Can you tell me the procedure for this?

I ask because on our Jewel cruise a couple years ago -our butler was not very enthusiastic about bringing us breakfast. The one morning we called for some items from Cagney's -he simply told us no. He said since it was 8am it was too late & that we could order eggs & toast. He also just dropped the tray on the table & left.

After that, we went to Cagney's & never asked for breakfast again.

But, this time I am determined to get what I pay for.

Did you speak to the butler ahead of time to say you wanted breakfast delivered onto your balcony?

Did you call him in the morning or leave instructions on the door?

Is there a special Suite menu or Haven menu to mark things off, or do we just write on paper what we'd like?

Is 8:30 am considered too late to have breakfast delivered? I've read on other threads that there is usually a back-up for 7 to 7:30 -but I'd like it later.

Thanks for your help.

8:30 is not late. Next time you have that problem be sure to tell the concierge and that will never happen again. It just seems like you had a lazy butler who should not have been in that position. You just tell butler the night before what breakfast you want however on breakaway the haven has own restaurant serving same breakfast as Cagneys on other ships. Butler will bring it at time you desire and set up table for you as well.

Edited by sjnyc323

I'd like to ask a question about breakfast if I could.

I see you had breakfast out on your balcony. Can you tell me the procedure for this?

I ask because on our Jewel cruise a couple years ago -our butler was not very enthusiastic about bringing us breakfast. The one morning we called for some items from Cagney's -he simply told us no. He said since it was 8am it was too late & that we could order eggs & toast. He also just dropped the tray on the table & left.

After that, we went to Cagney's & never asked for breakfast again.

But, this time I am determined to get what I pay for.

Did you speak to the butler ahead of time to say you wanted breakfast delivered onto your balcony? Yes

Did you call him in the morning or leave instructions on the door?

Is there a special Suite menu or Haven menu to mark things off, or do we just write on paper what we'd like? There is no special menu, just the regular room service menu. We just wrote our requests out on a paper specifically addressed to our Butler

Is 8:30 am considered too late to have breakfast delivered? I've read on other threads that there is usually a back-up for 7 to 7:30 -but I'd like it later.Not at all. I believe the Haven serves breakfast until 9-9:30 am

Thanks for your help.

Wow! He said "No??" Incredible. We had breakfast on our balcony most mornings. We set them up each day before. There is a breakfast menu for the Haven somewhere on CC. Either search or google the menu. If you look back to my post #109 here on this thread, you will see an actual letter I handed to the butler upon embarkation. Each day, we would leave a WRITTEN note to him, on our dining room table, with his name in big bold letters on top, spelling out EXACTLY what we needed the following day. We loved having the breakfasts delivered, as it served as our wake up call, and we could grab a shower, sit and have our breakfast still in a bathrobe. There was only 1 day where Marlon said he couldn't deliver at a specific time, but he could come 15 minutes later...no problem for us! We also made it clear he didn't need to stay and serve...just set up and go. We never actually made any "demands" but I think he understood that I expected a certain level of service. We were always extremely pleasant to our staff, and we did give him a nice tip at the end.

We had a lackluster butler on the Gem, so we understand your dilemma. But even then, we went to the podium for Cagney's about 2 hours before we wanted a late lunch delivered. Gave our order and our room number, and they said THEY would contact our butler to have him deliver it at the time we specified. So, maybe you could contact the Haven restaurant directly and place an order for your room. Your third option would be to dial up the number for the HD and explain how your butler told you "No" room-service. I would definitely never let that happen again. We learned from our first suite-life experience.

8:30 is not late. Next time you have that problem be sure to tell the concierge and that will never happen again. It just seems like you had a lazy butler who should not have been in that position. You just tell butler the night before what breakfast you want however on breakaway the haven has own restaurant serving same breakfast as Cagneys on other ships. Butler will bring it at time you desire and set up table for you as well.

Thank you for responding. That was our first cruise, so I didn't quite know the procedures & at the time just let it go. But I am smarter (thanks to CC members like you) & plan to get what I pay for.

Thank you.

Wow! He said "No??" Incredible. We had breakfast on our balcony most mornings. We set them up each day before. There is a breakfast menu for the Haven somewhere on CC. Either search or google the menu. If you look back to my post #109 here on this thread, you will see an actual letter I handed to the butler upon embarkation. Each day, we would leave a WRITTEN note to him, on our dining room table, with his name in big bold letters on top, spelling out EXACTLY what we needed the following day. We loved having the breakfasts delivered, as it served as our wake up call, and we could grab a shower, sit and have our breakfast still in a bathrobe. There was only 1 day where Marlon said he couldn't deliver at a specific time, but he could come 15 minutes later...no problem for us! We also made it clear he didn't need to stay and serve...just set up and go. We never actually made any "demands" but I think he understood that I expected a certain level of service. We were always extremely pleasant to our staff, and we did give him a nice tip at the end.

We had a lackluster butler on the Gem, so we understand your dilemma. But even then, we went to the podium for Cagney's about 2 hours before we wanted a late lunch delivered. Gave our order and our room number, and they said THEY would contact our butler to have him deliver it at the time we specified. So, maybe you could contact the Haven restaurant directly and place an order for your room. Your third option would be to dial up the number for the HD and explain how your butler told you "No" room-service. I would definitely never let that happen again. We learned from our first suite-life experience.

You really are a wealth of information! Thank you so much for your help.

I am going to print out the Haven menus & I'm also going to print out your letter to your Butler to use as a guide for my letter.

Honestly, never thought to do that.

I really appreciate the help & can't thank you enough.

• 1 month later...
:DThank you so much!!!!! DH and I are in11308 next May for our 30th anniversary and I've been dying for info on the suites on Deck 11. You're a doll!!!:D

Hello!! We will have this same cabin on September 13th. Can you tell me how your butler helped you? We would also like to know if you felt that your service was less because you were in a Haven Aft Suite. This is our first cruise on NCL. Any hints for this room would be appreciated.

• 7 months later...

OnthegoMom - I have a question for you - although your review is a while ago, it was fantastic thank you!!! I am just trying to decide between staying in the haven courtyard and an aft haven ph and it's a tough one! Did you feel part of the whole haven experience and 2nd is there a makeup vanity table with mirror like in alot of the suites on the older ships? thanks!!!!

Leah

I was in 12304 on Breakaway last August and it was AMAZING. I was able to tour several cabins on the cruise and if you can do the aft suite it was worth every penny and I'd do it again in a second. I know I'm not the one you were asking but I thought I'd share another opinion.

I was in 12304 on Breakaway last August and it was AMAZING. I was able to tour several cabins on the cruise and if you can do the aft suite it was worth every penny and I'd do it again in a second. I know I'm not the one you were asking but I thought I'd share another opinion.

thank you so much for writing!!!! I love to hear from people!!! I actually have 12304 written down to check on availability..........were you able to see the fireworks from your balcony? And also, is there a little vanity/makeup table in the bathroom?

I am definitely leaning towards the aft cabin......have always loved them but also stayed within the haven and loved the closeness. But I think in the long run, the cabin is pretty important and having a big deck will be good especially if my daughter is in the kids club sometimes!!! I can tan in peace lol....

Anymore info about 12304 would be awesome, thanks!!!

Leah

thank you so much for writing!!!! I love to hear from people!!! I actually have 12304 written down to check on availability..........were you able to see the fireworks from your balcony? And also, is there a little vanity/makeup table in the bathroom?

I am definitely leaning towards the aft cabin......have always loved them but also stayed within the haven and loved the closeness. But I think in the long run, the cabin is pretty important and having a big deck will be good especially if my daughter is in the kids club sometimes!!! I can tan in peace lol....

Anymore info about 12304 would be awesome, thanks!!!

Leah

We were in 12904 10/05/14-10/12/14

lets put it this way: My husband doesn't want to ever cruise again without the Haven!!! We have 2 daughters (9&7) and walking back and forth to/from the kids club (at forward elevators deck 12) and the haven was NO problem at all.

This is what we woke up to in Nassau:

imagejpg1_zps682b0153.jpg

Here is the vanity:

imagejpg3_zps3aad3ef9.jpg

and a panoramic of the bathroom. I'm standing in front of the vanity

imagejpg10_zps9ef06bfb.jpg

NO PROBLEM sunbathing on the balcony!!!!

imagejpg1_zpsd1498b81.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsa8cf638c.jpg

Want shade? Also no problem!

imagejpg3_zps8adaaf96.jpg

I can answer any other questions you want. I understand where you're coming from! I couldn't get enough info! I never did get around to posting a review. I do have a new computer now and this post is a breeze! Maybe I'll finally get around to it!!!

Edited by English101

Angela - THANK YOU!!! I am definitely going to talk to my pcc on Monday then!!!! I am a single Mom and will have my then 10 year old daughter with me - celebrating my 50th birthday!!! it's not for quite some time but I do not want to make the wrong choice of cabin! I am a cruising snob admittedly lol......we have enjoyed suites for some time now on some of the older ships and almost all aft......pure heaven.......I was concerned that we wouldn't have that "haven" feeling but like you say, it's not a far walk. And if you had kids roughly the same age, I am sure you would know whether it would have been better in the haven courtyard or the bigger haven aft ph. The price difference to bump up to the 2 bdrm is substantial.....we stayed in a 2bdrm on the Pearl in the haven and that was heaven but....we got a very good deal on that, an upsell. Question about the haven area - is there a bathroom for people to use in haven courtyard area if you don't have your suite right there? Silly question, I know lol.....I'd had to have to hoof it back to the aft from the haven just for that haha!! How did your kids like the aft ph? Kids club? My daughter is a tad shy on her own, I am hoping she will go to the kids club during the sea days so I can enjoy some tan time at the haven courtyard deck!

Again, thank you for writing and those pictures are awesome!!! Makes me wish it was much sooner!!!!

Leah

Angela - THANK YOU!!! I am definitely going to talk to my pcc on Monday then!!!! I am a single Mom and will have my then 10 year old daughter with me - celebrating my 50th birthday!!! it's not for quite some time but I do not want to make the wrong choice of cabin! I am a cruising snob admittedly lol......we have enjoyed suites for some time now on some of the older ships and almost all aft......pure heaven.......I was concerned that we wouldn't have that "haven" feeling but like you say, it's not a far walk. And if you had kids roughly the same age, I am sure you would know whether it would have been better in the haven courtyard or the bigger haven aft ph. The price difference to bump up to the 2 bdrm is substantial.....we stayed in a 2bdrm on the Pearl in the haven and that was heaven but....we got a very good deal on that, an upsell. Question about the haven area - is there a bathroom for people to use in haven courtyard area if you don't have your suite right there? Silly question, I know lol.....I'd had to have to hoof it back to the aft from the haven just for that haha!! How did your kids like the aft ph? Kids club? My daughter is a tad shy on her own, I am hoping she will go to the kids club during the sea days so I can enjoy some tan time at the haven courtyard deck!

Again, thank you for writing and those pictures are awesome!!! Makes me wish it was much sooner!!!!

Leah

I DO believe that if you want one of these cabins, you need to book early! I guess you could get lucky but, there are only 2 per deck! Deck 9 balcony is even deeper than 12!!!! However, we wanted to be higher up. I believe it goes largest to smallest balcony: 9, 12, 11, 10, 14, 13 with 13 still being a nice size balcony. Deck 11 and 14 have a different layout (bedroom by the balcony as in this review). I wish the window in the shower was a door to the balcony!!! WHY NOT?

imagejpg14_zps7984fb8d.jpg

Here is another view of the suite. There is AMAZING storage!!!!! To the right of the bathroom doorway, is a floor to ceiling cabinet with shelves and it is DEEP! Goes all the way to the wall. Opposite of that cabinet is another cabinet behind the tv. It is even deeper than the one on the right and goes all the way to the closet that is left of the TV!!! my husband kept his stuff hanging in that little closet and I got the one next to the bed (to the right of the bedroom door). The girls had yet another closet right outside the bedroom!!

imagejpg11_zps4f6d73d0.jpg

We definitely had that "Haven feeling" everyone knew us by name on the first day. In fact, my husband and I share a birthday and we actually sailed away ON our birthday! The hostess in the Haven Lounge approached us by name wishing us a happy birthday. I was like, "WHAT? how do you know!? AND how do you know our names already???" It took me a few minutes to realize that the staff must have been studying our names, pics, and info!!! Amazing! the Haven was NEVER crowded even on sea days!!!!! The last sea day, it was over 80 (remember this was October!) and this was the Haven sundeck:

imagejpg3_zps40832601.jpg

I guess it's hard to tell but, there really were a lot of open chairs!!

imagejpg6_zpsfabb944f.jpg

I think that the Aft Penthouse will be great for the 2 of you! In case you didn't know, the suite comes with a 2nd bathroom, complete with shower!!!!!!! I will say that if you want breakfast in the suite, order the night before....I didn't always know when we'd wake up and waited til the morning to call on 2 mornings but the butler was busy serving other suites and it would have taken too long to wait. no problem though because it was just a short walk up to the Garden Café and WOW! what a selection!!!! and everything was HOT too!!!

Yes! there are bathrooms in the haven area. I believe there is one upstairs in the courtyard, and there are also 2 just inside the Haven area. Each one is a single bathroom (no stalls). They were always VERY clean. I guess most people would just go to their suite. I know I would if it were close enough! :eek:

Our girls LOVED the PH. Their first cruise and we spoil them with a suite like that with huge balcony! :rolleyes: They ABSOLUTELY LOVED the kids club from day 1!!! So nice for us!!! And the price is included up until 10:30 and then it was $6/hour for first child and $4/hour for each additional. If you go to a 9pm show that doesn't let out until almost 11:30, that hour is FREE!!!!!! I think at age 10, they are able to sign themselves out after 2 hours. Don't quote me on that. My daughters were in the same age group which was nice. I have read over and over that you should definitely get them signed up right away on the first day and get them to go that night so they can meet the other kids....I've heard it really makes a difference with the kids who are more shy.

I would be more than happy to share more info. I hope OnTheGoMom doesn't mind!

for more info check out these threads:

Cabin info by category: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843049

Everything Breakaway (perhaps you could search that thread for specific topics): http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691618

Thanks again Angela - awesome information!!!! I actually called my pcc and left him a message, he is off until Monday so I will nail him then on the aft ph!!! I know we will love it, my daughter too!! Love the pictures too. We were in an owners suite almost 2 years ago (exhubby and I) and the storage was amazing.....we had more than we needed, it was fantastic, so this will be great!!! I am an overpacker lol...so will be perfect for us!!! This will be our first mother/daughter trip just us, so should be pretty amazing!

Thanks for the great tips and pictures, I really appreciate it!!!!

Leah

Thanks again Angela - awesome information!!!! I actually called my pcc and left him a message, he is off until Monday so I will nail him then on the aft ph!!! I know we will love it, my daughter too!! Love the pictures too. We were in an owners suite almost 2 years ago (exhubby and I) and the storage was amazing.....we had more than we needed, it was fantastic, so this will be great!!! I am an overpacker lol...so will be perfect for us!!! This will be our first mother/daughter trip just us, so should be pretty amazing!

Thanks for the great tips and pictures, I really appreciate it!!!!

Leah

No problem!

Angela - thought of something! You said you were on the ship in October and we will be going in October! Question about the weather? How was the weather generally and were there any problems with hurricanes at all, did you manage to get to all of your planned ports?? Being October is still considered hurricane season, I guess I have to remain open to "changes"......I have only cruised once in October before and we had a hurricane to the south of us and it was quite rough but everything was still great!

Leah

We were in 11308 for the Oct 6th 2013 cruise. It was a great cabin and the view of the fireworks was perfect. The S6 was the best part of the Breakaway cruise.

I am so excited... I am on the Getaway Jan 2016 and so happy I found this thread. So, 11308 is exactly as this room on the Breakaway?

Angela - thought of something! You said you were on the ship in October and we will be going in October! Question about the weather? How was the weather generally and were there any problems with hurricanes at all, did you manage to get to all of your planned ports?? Being October is still considered hurricane season, I guess I have to remain open to "changes"......I have only cruised once in October before and we had a hurricane to the south of us and it was quite rough but everything was still great!

Leah

I remembered that you asked if fireworks could be seen from our balcony. We were starboard and the fireworks are shot on the port side of the ship. We didn't attempt to see them from the balcony. I've read that people can see them from their port side balconies. When I heard this, my husband didn't want me to change our reservation anymore! :eek: (We were originally booked in a FWD PH on deck 13. Then we decided to move AFT, also deck 13. Then I read that 13 has the smallest balcony so we moved to 12. Then I read about seeing fireworks from balcony but my husband was like, "NO MORE CHANGES!!! At that point it was still available but was booked soon after. This was April of 2013 and we didn't sail til October of 2014!) BUT, I was pleasantly surprised that the fireworks were at around 8:30 (don't quote me. I was expecting to see them at 11:15! That's when people reported seeing them on the first few Breakaway cruises!!!) So, we took our girls up to Spice H2O and stood with the crowd. They rope off the port side and we were very close to the rope. It was great!!!! The crew tries to keep pushing the crowd closer to the big tv screen but we tried to stay put, closer to the doors-easier to get out after the show!!!

Yes, October is hurricane season. One of the reasons we were able to afford that suite. Any bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at work! lol There are so many activities on board! and if there are bad/rainy days, you'll spend more time in that suite you're paying for! ;) We had perfect weather. It must have rained a few times but it never ruined anything for us. I think 2 evenings we were outside after dinner and saw/heard that it had rained. HOWEVER, I read a live review from the week after our cruise and there were many days of rain/cloudy skies. :( You never know what you're going to get and you can't control the weather. Don't forget, Hurricane Sandy hit October 29th! I think there were a few cruises, in the weeks before ours, that were diverted. Lesson to take home: book your excursions through NCL to make sure you get refunded if that happens! We didn't book any excursions. We had paid so much for the Haven, it was the girls' first cruise....we wanted to enjoy the ship, not be rushed to get off the ship for a scheduled excursion, and we enjoy the ship with less people!!!! We got off at GSC and Nassau, just to walk around.

We like a vacation in October...We get to "go back" to summer. When Labor Day rolled around and everyone was depressed that summer was over, it was nice knowing we had our vacation coming up! We had been on a cruise late Sept/Oct 10 years ago and didn't have any problems either. Our next cruise will probably be October also.

I am so excited... I am on the Getaway Jan 2016 and so happy I found this thread. So, 11308 is exactly as this room on the Breakaway?

I have heard that the Getaway is very similar to the Breakaway. So, I'd assume that 11308 has the bedroom near the balcony. I think the only differences in the staterooms is coloring.

• 3 months later...
I wish the window in the shower was a door to the balcony!!! WHY NOT?

I am on Getaway march 2016 in an aft balcony suite - four will be sharing this suite so decided the extra balcony door would be useful for evening/morning balcony visits. However, when deciding between the 12th and 11th floor aft suites, I thought the same thing - if they just put a door from the shower to the balcony I would definitely go with 12304 for the bigger balcony!

Edited by nyscilla

Thank you! Glad I was some help. You will love the S6!! Enjoy your cruise!

You and all the great information on CC saved my cruise. Originally booked 12th floor suite due to SUPER big balcony, called to add new promotion and the gentleman switched my room (same class, smaller room, much smaller balcony) which I did not notice right away and when I did my suite was gone! I was pretty irritated until I read your review, called and switched to the 11th floor S6, although the balcony is not quite as big, your review sold me on the benefits of this room and I actually like the layout better overall and specifically separate door to balcony (will be helpful as the living room "bed" will be used). Thanks also for your wonderful description, here and elsewhere, on your use of the butler. I think I would have been too intimidated to ask for much of anything, but now have a good idea about some reasonable requests that will make our cruise more enjoyable. One quick question - I would love to avoid bringing my own toiletries (packing weight and security issues), do they provide shampoo AND conditioner or only shampoo? What other toiletries are provided? Sorry if I missed it in your review.