Norwegian compared to RCI

Jeff&Mel

Read my posts on the Breakaway....definitely go to RC we are going back and not straying again!

very interesting: has it ever occurred to you, maybe what you experienced might not be what others have. I just checked the review section and the Breakaway gets an average of 4 stars our of 5. Very few ships, can say that, plus reviews of a ship the first month really have to be overlooked because just ironing our the little wrinkles takes time.

There is no perfect cruise line and what works for one doesn't always work for someone else, but totally lop sided reviews are usually disregarded by most.

Odd how most of the reviews have so many negatives...also the fact Im sure people representing NCL have placed their reviews and on cc (do you truly feel CC is going to give a cruise line a bad rating heck no!).

There are 112 reviews as of this moment.

Reviews giving Breakaway 1 star- 14

2 star- 15

3 star 21

Total reviews that rate Breakaway 3 and under = 50

Im sorry that's a huge amount of reviews that are not rated very good or excellent. Too many in my book and from my experience too many negatives on her!! :eek:

NewmexicoNita I give you one more, I will take the comparison of the Breakaway and compare it to three ships of RC using the last same 112 reviews as that is all the total reviews the Breakaway has so using 112 in each of these ships take a look at the results:

Breakaway- 1 star-14, 2 star- 15, 3 star-21

Allure of the Seas- 1 star-1, 2 star- 1, 3 star-4

Oasis of the Seas- 1 star-1, 2 star-1, 3 star-4

Freedom of the Seas- 1 star-1, 2 star-3, 3 star-6

Now that is black and white the NCL Breakaway is rated so much lower than RC THREE ships, take a look at the results for yourself you will see I am correct.

As a result, my experience and review of the Breakaway is on target as to how others feel. Breakaway surely rates so much lower in reviews than those three RC ships!! :cool:

I think you shouldn't worry about ratings. Go experience for yourself. You can't please everyone and everyone is entitled to their opinion although a lot of people make complaints after the fact instead of getting things fixed Onboard. NCL Hotel Directors and officers give out their telephone numbers and would rather hear about issues while Onboard so they can correct them rather then be raked over the coals on cruise critic board. And as far as NCL employees fixing cruise critic ratings that is absurd. They are far too busy to do such nonsense.

Suzanne

sjnyc323 good advice! We did just that went and experienced and know NCL or the Breakaway is just not for us. I was just proving a point to NewmexicoNita who says that maybe my experience is not what others have and then mentioned about the reviews so I just proved that person wrong, reviews do show that a great majority of the past passengers only rate her 1-3 stars.

I didn't have to "complain" on board, it is what it is. Nobody is going to change things because of what I just say and another thing, out of all my cruises (I am 50 and Breakaway was my 50th cruise so far) NCL is the ONLY cruise line that did not give us any survey on the ship, in our cabin or sent to us online, RC and even Carnival always sends us a survery via internet and inside our cabin to take. Goes to show me NCL doesn't care about how we feel.

sjnyc323 good advice! We did just that went and experienced and know NCL or the Breakaway is just not for us. I was just proving a point to NewmexicoNita who says that maybe my experience is not what others have and then mentioned about the reviews so I just proved that person wrong, reviews do show that a great majority of the past passengers only rate her 1-3 stars.

I'm confused; you cited 50 of 112 reviews at 3 and under in your post above. Did you mean that 50 people gave a review of 3 stars in addition to the numbers for 1 and 2 stars? Or were there less than 113 reviews?

Not arguing about your experiences, and I haven't been on the Breakaway, so I can't compare it in any case. But, 50 is "less than half" of 112 reviews, not a "great majority" of the reviews.

If your stats are correct in the first post, 21 give it 3 stars (average), and 62 must give it either 4 or 5 stars. Stated another way, 83 of the 112 reviews rate the Breakaway as average or above. That's 74% of the total reviews.

If you all read all the reviews on the Breakaway since the first sailing from NY this past May you will see a higher than majority all say the very same negative things as I have about the Breakaway.

Yes, we all different I rather go on a nearly negative free cruise ship than one that gives me an abundance of negatives...its just me. :)

Actually we was on the Breakawys FIRST sailing it was from Southampton, UK to New York. I can tell you that most of the people we met loved the ship, its a truly lovely ship, you cant take that away from it. It was our 3rd cruise with NCL and although we enjoyed the Breakaway, it did not live up to our expectations, the main reason for this is because we cruised on the Epic and in our opinion that's a better ship, the Breakaway has copied it but not as good. We have also cruised on RC and I'm sorry but although we enjoyed the cruise, the ship we were on was nowhere as nice as the NCL ships we have sailed on, our child prefers NCL kids club, and we do like the anytime freestyle NCL give, The cabins we had 4 on our RC were terrible all worn out, except the aft balcony cabin which was lovely, but in the you could see the wooden frame of the sofa, also the balconies were not very nice. All our NCL cabins were great. We have another NCL TA cruise booked for October, but we will cruise RC again. If I were you I would book the best price. you will enjoy both these cruise lines, they are our first choice from all the cruise lines we have used.

I think you will always get negative reviews because the ships can't live up to everyone's expectations. Like we prefer the bigger ships but a last we met on NCL didn't like it as much because it was too big and she only likes small ships.

fshagan- On the Breakaway reviews, yes 50 out of the 112 scored her 1-3 stars.

14 scored her 1 star, 15 2 star and 21 3 star

Yes, 50 is just less than 112 but if you compare RC, Celebrity and few other cruise lines you will see their scores of 1-3 stars for the same last 112 reviews wasen't even half of what the Breakaway was. If you take 3 RC ships and counted their 1-3 star rating you will find- Allure- 1 star-0, 2 star=1, 3 star-4, Oasis- 1 star-1, 2 star-1, 3 star-4, FOS 1 star 1, 2 star 3 and 3 star-6, this averages to be only 5 people that rate each ship 1-3 stars, where the Breakaway has 50 people scoring her 1-3 stars a huge huge difference.

I been on so many RC ships in the past few years and never seen anything worn out, which RC were you on that you seen worn wood on the sofa and bad balconies? A balcony on all ships is the same items chairs, table and such unless one gets a suite with a hot tub and more.

The money really isn't the factor, this is why we also went on the Breakaway she was more money but we feel you get what you pay for but the Breakaway didn't live up to that for us.

Sure we had a great cruise any cruise is better than no cruise but we rather not have to feel the negatives when we can go on other cruise lines and other ships and not have as many negatives as this ship had. I think the main problems we found with the Breakaway were that we indeed felt crowded she is poorly designed and planned.

I will be going on the Allure next and perhaps mega ships aren't for us but we need to give it a try can't judge by one mega ship and one cruise line and then we shall decide whether we prefer mega size ships or not.

I've been following this thread with interest. DH and I are going in the other direction; that is, as long-time NCL cruisers, we are branching out and trying a 2-week itinerary on RCCL next year. We are a little nervous about this. The ship is much larger (and we like small ships) and the dining experience (Freestyle vs traditional) appears to be quite different. We've also found on NCL that, no matter what cabin category we've booked, we've felt appreciated and valued and are wondering if this will also be the case on Royal Caribbean (or will there be more of a "pecking order").

So I'm asking folks who've ENJOYED their cruise experience on both lines, what tips they have to help this Platinum Latitudes member enjoy her cruise on Royal Caribbean. Would it be better to go with the "anytime dining" (or whatever it's called on Royal Caribbean) or would it be possible to go with fixed seating and a table for 2? What is the interior cabin experience like on Royal Caribbean? On the Independence of the Seas, are there any really outstanding interior cabins? Any to stay away from?

PS I'm not abandoning NCL entirely. In fact, I'm really looking forward to the release of the 2015 itineraries next Nov-Dec. (Maybe this will be the year for Australia-New Zealand? I hope, I hope!) I've just always wanted to take a cruise around the Iberian Peninsula and the RCCL itinerary fits the bill.

I've been following this thread with interest. DH and I are going in the other direction; that is, as long-time NCL cruisers, we are branching out and trying a 2-week itinerary on RCCL next year. We are a little nervous about this. The ship is much larger (and we like small ships) and the dining experience (Freestyle vs traditional) appears to be quite different. We've also found on NCL that, no matter what cabin category we've booked, we've felt appreciated and valued and are wondering if this will also be the case on Royal Caribbean (or will there be more of a "pecking order").

So I'm asking folks who've ENJOYED their cruise experience on both lines, what tips they have to help this Platinum Latitudes member enjoy her cruise on Royal Caribbean. Would it be better to go with the "anytime dining" (or whatever it's called on Royal Caribbean) or would it be possible to go with fixed seating and a table for 2? What is the interior cabin experience like on Royal Caribbean? On the Independence of the Seas, are there any really outstanding interior cabins? Any to stay away from?

PS I'm not abandoning NCL entirely. In fact, I'm really looking forward to the release of the 2015 itineraries next Nov-Dec. (Maybe this will be the year for Australia-New Zealand? I hope, I hope!) I've just always wanted to take a cruise around the Iberian Peninsula and the RCCL itinerary fits the bill.

Yes, we book RCCL for itineraries we can't get with NCL. And no, we didn't feel valued. I don't think it was the cabin we had (oceanview/balcony) but it's more that all the goodies go to the Diamond and Diamond Plus members and they make a big show of it to other passengers. If you go over to the RCCL board, you'll see many have emblems with their status stuck to their signatures. We're platinum on NCL and love the perks but try not to brag about it, either with some little emblem or to others onboard who don't have them.

I hope you come back and post here after your cruise, to give your perspective on a more traditional line after freestyle. Many of us who have cruised for some time started out on traditional ships because that was about all there was until a few years ago. Most lines offer more dining choices now, an expanded dinner buffet and anytime dining in part of the MDR, but not to the extent you find on NCL. You might want to try traditional, assigned seating for dinner on RCI, just to see what it is like. You won't get to eat whenever you want, but there is some benefit to having your table waiting at the chosen time, waiters who get to know you and your preferences and often have your favorite drink or whatever waiting for you, a more elegant feeling with the entire room on the same schedule. Tables for 2 are generally available if you don't want to share a table. But whatever dining you choose, you will still experience a more elegant evening atmosphere overall with most everyone following the dress code . All of this doesn't mean that we don't like freestyle and NCL, because we do. It's just a different vacation, and we appreciate the strengths of both. Some cruisers swear by one style or the other, but some enjoy both for different reasons and choose based on itinerary, price, schedule, whatever.

I will definitely give my opinion after our RCI cruise. We have already chosen the dining option that is similar to freestyle because it fits better with our schedule. I'm sure we are going to have a ball. We always do.

OP...if it's not obvious by now, most people who cruise are loyal to a certain cruise line. And, any other cruise line just won't measure up to their chosesn cruise line....kind of like the person who will only buy Fords and not Chevies or Toyotas.

Then, you have people like me, who aren't loyal to any cruise line (and don't want to be). We tend to be more objective as we sail whichever cruise line floats our boat (so to speak) at any given time.

Fact is, there are differences here and there between these two cruise lines. But, they've both been in business a long time, and know how to run a cruise....sometimes to our liking, sometimes to their bottom line, sometimes missing the mark entirely, sometimes hitting a bullseye.

Just remember, you're on a cruise. For the most part, you're floating on clear blue waters, being taken care of by people whose only job is to take care of, entertain, and serve the passengers. Your accomodations are comfortable, and mostly idyllic.

It's really hard not to have a good time on a cruise. And, some people won't be happy, regardless of the efforts many make on board.

You'll hear both good and bad about RCCL, and the same will be true for NCL.

Again, both companies put out a good product. You really can't go wrong with either (and I've sailed the best both cruise lines offer to make that statement).

Hi all- I am looking for some insight.

We have cruised 3 times- 2 on Costa and once on RCI.

Costa was priced very low :) and we truly enjoyed the cruises- no complaints except the cigarette smoke. Another issue was the kids club- not a complaint but Costa is an Italian line and the kids club wasn't so great for our son.

So we tried RCI this year and our DS age 11 absolutely loved the kids program! It was great for him- However, RCI is sooo expensive! The cruise cost more than other lines and the onboard prices for beverages is very high. We do like to cruise and would like to try a line that is more reasonably priced.

So this brings me to my questions-

For those of you that have cruised both Norwegian and RCI can you give me the pros and cons of each line?

How are the onboard prices for Norwegian?

How is the kids program?

TIA :)

I stopped sailing RCCL after the service on my last 2 RCCL cruises was less than stellar. Also, they do nickle and dime you to death. That being said, I would give it another shot now that some time has passed to see if the issues have improved. The kids programs are comparable on both lines, as are drink prices and gift shop items.

I think you shouldn't worry about ratings. Go experience for yourself. You can't please everyone and everyone is entitled to their opinion although a lot of people make complaints after the fact instead of getting things fixed Onboard. NCL Hotel Directors and officers give out their telephone numbers and would rather hear about issues while Onboard so they can correct them rather then be raked over the coals on cruise critic board. And as far as NCL employees fixing cruise critic ratings that is absurd. They are far too busy to do such nonsense.

Suzanne

I agree with you on all of this. I don't believe and no one is his right mind would either, NCL employees fix ratings. If that is the case, who says those who prefer say, RCI are not giving NCL bad ratings to boost RCI or whatever line. Your example of the M&G and getting numbers is a perfect example of NCL service.

I didn't have to "complain" on board, it is what it is. Nobody is going to change things because of what I just say and another thing, out of all my cruises (I am 50 and Breakaway was my 50th cruise so far) NCL is the ONLY cruise line that did not give us any survey on the ship, in our cabin or sent to us online, RC and even Carnival always sends us a survery via internet and inside our cabin to take. Goes to show me NCL doesn't care about how we feel.

For someone who has cruised 50 times, I am amazed you have always gotten your survey on the ship; a couple of lines have gone the email route. It makes much better sense ande there is more room to for writing comments.

For someone who has cruised 50 times, I am amazed you have always gotten your survey on the ship; a couple of lines have gone the email route. It makes much better sense ande there is more room to for writing comments.

I don't know of any that are still using the ones given in the cabins, but suppose there may still be some.

this is meant to be a continuation of my previous post.

Odd how most of the reviews have so many negatives...also the fact Im sure people representing NCL have placed their reviews and on cc (do you truly feel CC is going to give a cruise line a bad rating heck no!).

There are 112 reviews as of this moment.

Reviews giving Breakaway 1 star- 14

2 star- 15

3 star 21

Total reviews that rate Breakaway 3 and under = 50

Im sorry that's a huge amount of reviews that are not rated very good or excellent. Too many in my book and from my experience too many negatives on her!! :eek:

I am a bit confused: either I can't count or you can't: I counted 19 with 1 or 2 stars: 58 with 4 or 5 and the remainder with 3. For someone who has cruised 50 times I would think you would know even a 3 rating is considered good, people are always more inclined to write negatives than positives. I think you way of thinking shows this: I look at the 58 outstanding ratings and see positive, you look at the less than 3 ratings and say the ship has problems.

Not all lines are meant for everyone and obviously NCL is not your bag, but I don't think you bashing is going to make much difference to many. It does give you a chance to vent though.

I am sorry you didn't like Breakaway Lyndamr but can't we end this topic and stop beating a dead horse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but once is enough.

It is getting to the point where I hate coming to cruise critic board to read complaints after complaints. I for one am for straightening out issues on board rather then complain afterwards that is why I go straight to the Hotel Director with any issue. They rather take care of it while you are sailing rather then get bashed to death out here. These crew staff and senior officers are doing their best to make BA the best it can be but cut some slack we the guests don't see all they have to contend with begins the scenes

Suzanne

NewMexicoNita- I been cruising at a young age too...but surveys only been giving for the past years (can't recall how far back they started). It usually was the form that was always placed in your cabin, and forms at guest services with a box to place them in, and when you disembark you will also see another box to place your survey/questionnaire/comment cards in. Then cruise lines started to do online comment/questionnaires such as Carnival and RC. The past few years we always received them on Carnival and RC always. This is the first time in years cruising that I haven't gotten one on the ship or online but then again its been few years since my last NCL cruise so perhaps it was never given out. How are the cruise lines going to keep up with their product and services if they don't hear our comments from the passengers? This only shows me that NCL really only cares about the bottom line.:confused:

NewMexicoRita:

14 1 star

15 2 star

21 3 star

TOTALS 50 Reviews out of 112 rate the Breakaway 1-3 stars which is poor, fair and good. That is a rather high percentage for that type of a rating for a cruise ship.

A 3 rating ship is just good. I would not go to a fine restaurant with a star rating of 3, I also rather not go on a ship that is just rated 3 stars when so many other ships (Including NCL other ships) have a rating of 4 stars or 5.

I can't compare the two lines yet as I have my first NCL cruise coming up soon but I was interested in reading some of the comparisons. One thing I notice is that many times comments are made about the freestyle concept on NCL is unique and great cause you can eat whenever, and with whom you like. But most of the cruise lines now have their version of "anytime" dining and you are not forced to sit with others either.

I am sorry you didn't like Breakaway Lyndamr but can't we end this topic and stop beating a dead horse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but once is enough.

It is getting to the point where I hate coming to cruise critic board to read complaints after complaints. I for one am for straightening out issues on board rather then complain afterwards that is why I go straight to the Hotel Director with any issue. They rather take care of it while you are sailing rather then get bashed to death out here. These crew staff and senior officers are doing their best to make BA the best it can be but cut some slack we the guests don't see all they have to contend with begins the scenes

Suzanne

I totally agree with you. Remember CC has an ignore feature :)

I don't know of any that are still using the ones given in the cabins, but suppose there may still be some.

this is meant to be a continuation of my previous post.

Perhaps you missed it but that poster did say that she has received the survey on line from other cruise lines.

I have to say that I am quite surprised to hear that NCL does not offer a survey at the end of one's cruise.

Actually, we received one of those old-fashioned paper feedback forms on our HAL Zuiderdam cruise in late 2011. We completed it and placed it in the slot in a locked box in the lobby on the ship.

For all of our NCL cruises we've received an email with a link to an online survey. The email shows up usually within a day or so after disembarkation. If we don't get around to completing it right away, we'll sometimes get an email reminding us to complete the survey a day or two later.

Archived