Norwegian compared to RCI

Jeff&Mel

We just came back from our sailing on the Breakaway. I can not believe that I was on the same ship as a few of the complainers that have posted their opinions of the staff being unfriendly etc. The ship is wonderful. It is spotless both in the cabins and the public areas. The crew never stops working and there was never one staff member that we passed that didn't exchange a hello, how is your day, etc. The food both in the Specialties and the MDR's was very well prepared and the choices were many. If something doesn't please you and the server is aware of a problem, an offer to prepare something else is made. The Senior Officers are very caring individuals and offer to help in any way they can. The shows were excellent and there is music and something to do in every venue. Yes, the pool deck is crowded on sea days, especially with the beautiful weather we had on this sailing. It is a shame that so many people hog the chairs, but I did see on occasion some staff removing the towels. We always found chairs on one deck or another. You just have to look around. Spice H20 is a very nice feature and we found chairs there on one occasion when we couldn't on the lower sun decks. Just a hint to some. If you are picking balcony mini suites for the ability to be near the window on the port side , the NCL deck plans are wrong on all the floor plans that I've seen. This is both on the NCL sites as well as cruisedeckplans etc. The bed is opposite from what is published and this continues down the line. Port side was great for the fireworks on the 4th of July and we could see the entire display from our Balcony and avoid the crowds on the top deck. It was suggested by the staff that it could be seen from our port side cabins and we were glad to have taken their advice. We could still hear the music from above and it really made a festive 4th. Please enjoy your vacations on the Breakaway as we did. It is a great ship.

Nice report of the Breakaway and crew.

I find this whole thing interesting. Did I miss something? The OP never specified the Breakaway as the ship she was intending to sail. Or, has NCL sold all their other ships and has only the Breakaway left?

I sailed on the Star this year and it was wonderful. There were a couple of issues on the ship that were resolved with a quick phone call. The kids club on the star was very small. Although the staff was nice, I will say that since my daughter was 8, she was lumped in with the 6 to 9 year olds and the activites were a little too young for her. So, she was bored most of the time. the 10 to 12 year olds seemed to enjoy it.

I would suggest trying the jewel class ships. They are bigger, so the camp is probably roomier and will offer a gaming station for him. The ship will not be as big as the epic or breakaway so you won't have to deal with too many people.

I am trying breakaway next year. To me, the complaints are more about the customer service than the ship itself. That certainly does not make it better, I know. But, I think that is too be expected since the staff needs to get their groove.

NewMexicoNita- I been cruising at a young age too...but surveys only been giving for the past years (can't recall how far back they started). It usually was the form that was always placed in your cabin, and forms at guest services with a box to place them in, and when you disembark you will also see another box to place your survey/questionnaire/comment cards in. Then cruise lines started to do online comment/questionnaires such as Carnival and RC. The past few years we always received them on Carnival and RC always. This is the first time in years cruising that I haven't gotten one on the ship or online but then again its been few years since my last NCL cruise so perhaps it was never given out. How are the cruise lines going to keep up with their product and services if they don't hear our comments from the passengers? This only shows me that NCL really only cares about the bottom line.:confused:

You must be special to Carnival. I didn't get one for either of my Carnival cruises. However, I've had them from NCL.

emcelth, when was your last Carnival cruise that you didn't have lobster? Did you go every night to the MDR maybe you missed that night?

I was on the Dream less than a year ago and on the Fascination this past May and both ships had the lobster, in fact, my daughters bf came with her and he ate 3 and nobody gave him a problem they served him one by one and with a smile.

emcelth, when was your last Carnival cruise that you didn't have lobster? Did you go every night to the MDR maybe you missed that night?

I was on the Dream less than a year ago and on the Fascination this past May and both ships had the lobster, in fact, my daughters bf came with her and he ate 3 and nobody gave him a problem they served him one by one and with a smile.

I was talking about surveys, not lobster. I had lobster on both Carnival cruises but it was so salty on the Fascination last year that no one at our table ate much of it. On the Fantasy is was much better.

I can't compare the two lines yet as I have my first NCL cruise coming up soon but I was interested in reading some of the comparisons. One thing I notice is that many times comments are made about the freestyle concept on NCL is unique and great cause you can eat whenever, and with whom you like. But most of the cruise lines now have their version of "anytime" dining and you are not forced to sit with others either.

True, although you still have to observe "formal night" on most lines if you want to eat in the main dining room, even if you choose their "anytime" dining plan. If you don't wear a suit and tie, you are relegated to a cafe, the buffet or room service.

I find this whole thing interesting. Did I miss something? The OP never specified the Breakaway as the ship she was intending to sail. Or, has NCL sold all their other ships and has only the Breakaway left?

No, the thread was hijacked by someone who didn't enjoy their cruise on the Breakaway.

NewMexicoRita:

14 1 star

15 2 star

21 3 star

TOTALS 50 Reviews out of 112 rate the Breakaway 1-3 stars which is poor, fair and good. That is a rather high percentage for that type of a rating for a cruise ship.

A 3 rating ship is just good. I would not go to a fine restaurant with a star rating of 3, I also rather not go on a ship that is just rated 3 stars when so many other ships (Including NCL other ships) have a rating of 4 stars or 5.

I think this is really stupid: I could tell you to go back and count again, because you even have the total number of reviews wrong based on yesterday, but you are have your mind made up. 3 star rating for a cruise ship is considered quite acceptable especially when there are more 4 an 5, than 1 and 2s.

Luckily most people do not base their cruise choices on rating only, and I am not going to post on this subject anymore. I think it is childish to continue this. You will defend RCI at every corner, have decided no one should cruise NCL because you didn't like the new ship. Remember the question wasn't about the Breakaway, the Op asked about NCL versus RCI. You are the one who decided to blast away based on one experience. Objective reviews are the ones that most of us base decisions on, not lop sided reviews.

I can't compare the two lines yet as I have my first NCL cruise coming up soon but I was interested in reading some of the comparisons. One thing I notice is that many times comments are made about the freestyle concept on NCL is unique and great cause you can eat whenever, and with whom you like. But most of the cruise lines now have their version of "anytime" dining and you are not forced to sit with others either.

Yes they do, but maybe it is because NCL was the first, it seems to run a little smoother with NCL. I know our last Celebrity cruise "personal choice" was so limited even booking 4 months out we couldn't get it. On Princess, both times we were not given any options as to size of table and were always stuck at tables with 6 to 8 people. We would have preferred sitting by ourselves or with another couple. You can reserve ahead on Princess, but again, the small tables are very limited. At least it is a positive thing, all mass marketed lines have adopted some form of freestyle.

Perhaps you missed it but that poster did say that she has received the survey on line from other cruise lines.

I have to say that I am quite surprised to hear that NCL does not offer a survey at the end of one's cruise.

Neither did Princess on our last cruise. Yes, I did miss the part about on line, but if you notice I posted again, correction my response. I am surprised she didn't get one from NCL on line.

Thanks for picking up on my error. I read her comments too fast: shame on me.

Yes they do, but maybe it is because NCL was the first, it seems to run a little smoother with NCL. I know our last Celebrity cruise "personal choice" was so limited even booking 4 months out we couldn't get it. On Princess, both times we were not given any options as to size of table and were always stuck at tables with 6 to 8 people. We would have preferred sitting by ourselves or with another couple. You can reserve ahead on Princess, but again, the small tables are very limited. At least it is a positive thing, all mass marketed lines have adopted some form of freestyle.

We ran into the same thing on our last Carnival cruise. Very few small tables and there was always a wait for them. It might have just been that particular ship though. On the one night we did get a table for two it was very close to the next table, maybe 6 inches between.

We have cruised RC twice, Carnival once, and will soon be on our third NCL cruise. This is just an opinion of course of our pro's and con's.

NCL pro's: Freestyle cruising, decor of the ship, buffet choices, entertainment, lively/sporty crowd, Bingo announcements (many)

NCL con's: desserts in the MDR, staff not always overly friendly or attentive,

RC pro's: personal attention and very friendly/mannerly staff, food choices in the MDR

RC con's: decor of ship, dinner seating/times, older/quiet crowd (not a terrible thing of course!)

We have cruised RC twice, Carnival once, and will soon be on our third NCL cruise. This is just an opinion of course of our pro's and con's.

NCL pro's: Freestyle cruising, decor of the ship, buffet choices, entertainment, lively/sporty crowd, Bingo announcements (many)

NCL con's: desserts in the MDR, staff not always overly friendly or attentive,

RC pro's: personal attention and very friendly/mannerly staff, food choices in the MDR

RC con's: decor of ship, dinner seating/times, older/quiet crowd (not a terrible thing of course!)

Perhaps food varies ship to ship and person to person but the MDR food on NCL has been better on every NCL cruise over the two RCCL cruises we've taken. I have found the staff on both lines friendly and attentive, providing excellent service.

I have been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and just got back from a cruise on Norwegian Gem. Norwegian is definitely my favorite. I'll do a quick breakdown for you (out of 5)

Category Royal Caribbean / Norwegian

Food 4 / 4.5

Production Shows 4 / 3

Other Entertainment 3.5 / 4(the second city!)

Parties 3 / 4.5(I really like the White Hot Party)

Service 4 / 4

Cleanliness 4 / 5(The Gem was spotless)

Value of Fare 3.5(very expensive)/ 4

Costs on board 4 / 4

Decor 3(dated and neutral)/ 4(bright and cheery)

The costs of beverages seemed comparable on both lines. I would go on a NCL cruise, that is NOT Breakaway, Getaway, or Epic over RCI. Freestyle cruising works very well. I don't really know much about the kids programs other than I saw all kinds of organized activities for kids all around the ship on NCL and not on Royal. They had things like a circus workshop for kids in the atrium.

Hope this helps a little!

We have been on 7 different NCL ships and on 4 RCCL ships and I agree with the above scores - the decor on breakaway is a lot more muted than the others

We have only cruised NCL, but are considering an RCI cruise.

We do enjoy Freestyle dining . . . eating when we want with whom we want. We like not having to bring an evening gown, suit or tux while on vacation.

Can RCI accommodate people like us? Is there an approximation of Freestyle on RCI ships or will we be the odd couple dressed in casual clothes?

We do enjoy Freestyle dining . . . eating when we want with whom we want. We like not having to bring an evening gown, suit or tux while on vacation.

Can RCI accommodate people like us? Is there an approximation of Freestyle on RCI ships or will we be the odd couple dressed in casual clothes?

I think this depends on what you mean by "casual clothes". We have found all the traditional lines to be less formal than they were just a couple of years ago. Tuxes and evening gowns are now in the vast minority, it is far more common to see a gentleman in a sport coat with or without a tie, and a woman in a short cocktail dress or pants with a dressy top on formal nights. But in general, most people will follow the dress code and not be dressed very casually on formal nights, or in shorts or sweatpants on other nights. NCL is just way more casual, but of course cruisers vary in how they interpret this. I'm not sure if you'd be denied entrance to the MDR if you are wearing neither a coat or tie on formal night, this seems to vary even among ships of the same cruiseline.Anything goes in the buffet, of course --- not sure if this is what you are aiming for. It also matters how much it might bother YOU to be much less dressy than almost everyone else --- I know my DH would be uncomfortable, but not everyone would be bothered.

Hello my Az neighbor.

You're in luck! RCI has my time dining. You can pick when you eat, with whom you eat, and where you eat. No shorts in the MDR like NCL but khakis and short sleeve collared shirt is fine. On formal nights I have never worn more than slacks and long sleeve collared shirt (no tie). Some dress up more than others though.

I think this depends on what you mean by "casual clothes". We have found all the traditional lines to be less formal than they were just a couple of years ago. Tuxes and evening gowns are now in the vast minority, it is far more common to see a gentleman in a sport coat with or without a tie, and a woman in a short cocktail dress or pants with a dressy top on formal nights. But in general, most people will follow the dress code and not be dressed very casually on formal nights, or in shorts or sweatpants on other nights. NCL is just way more casual, but of course cruisers vary in how they interpret this. I'm not sure if you'd be denied entrance to the MDR if you are wearing neither a coat or tie on formal night, this seems to vary even among ships of the same cruiseline.Anything goes in the buffet, of course --- not sure if this is what you are aiming for. It also matters how much it might bother YOU to be much less dressy than almost everyone else --- I know my DH would be uncomfortable, but not everyone would be bothered.

We would be uncomfortable if we were dressed less than the median level of what people are wearing re: formal wear. I dress casual on NCL formal nights which typically consists of slacks and a nice button-up shirt with the occasional tie. If need be I guess we could slum it and go to the buffet on formal nights. :p

Hello my Az neighbor.

You're in luck! RCI has my time dining. You can pick when you eat, with whom you eat, and where you eat. No shorts in the MDR like NCL but khakis and short sleeve collared shirt is fine. On formal nights I have never worn more than slacks and long sleeve collared shirt (no tie). Some dress up more than others though.

Hey neighbor!

Great, sounds like we can make that work. Wouldn't wear shorts in the MDR so that's not a problem.

Hello my Az neighbor.

The one thing NCL does better than all the rest is Freestyle (or my time dining on other ships). I never waited more than 5...maybe 10 minutes max on either the NCL EPIC or BREAKAWAY to be seated...even during peak times (like say 6-7:30). That said, if one dining space looked busy, I went to another (Taste instead of Savor, just as an example).

I know that Allure of the Seas is a big ship, but so ie Epic and Breakaway. I had MTD in AOS. We would wait 30-45 minutes to be seated in the main dining rooms, sometimes it seemed the host/hostess forgot all about us we had waited so long (at which time they acted surprised we were still in the waiting area and not gone to some other dining venue).

As far as dress is concerned, without a doubt, NCL with Freestyle is the most casual.

But, on last year's Allure sailing, it became quite clear to me that the days of tuxes, gowns, suits, etc were in the minority on formal nights. I think I saw a total of 4 couples with tuxes/gowns...on both formal nights. Maybe a dozen men in ties on formal nights.

The vast majority wore nice pants and nice shirts on formal nights. Jackets and ties were in the minority, too. Women were mostly in dresses (by no means formal ones) and pant suits.

Dress as you like, but I see this trend continuing, and continuing rapidly.

I can only speculate, but I think airlines luggage fees have something to do with it (face it, it's harder/bulkier to pack a tux, suit, formal dress that will be wrinkled). I think the other part is, seeing some of the posts here, most feel they're on vacation, and that dressing up isn't part of that vacation "vibe".

Personally, on my first cruises, I packed a tux. That turned into a suit. That turned into a sports coat with dress shirts and ties. On the Breakaway, I brought nice slacks and dress shirts with ties. I didn't even use the ties.

So, from now on, it's dress shirts and slacks, even on formal nights.

I love the people I travel with, not the clothes they wear. Pictures are a reminder of them, not that they were wearing formal outfits.

But, that certainly doesn't have any bearing on how anyone else dresses. Dress as you like.

The one thing NCL does better than all the rest is Freestyle (or my time dining on other ships). I never waited more than 5...maybe 10 minutes max on either the NCL EPIC or BREAKAWAY to be seated...even during peak times (like say 6-7:30). That said, if one dining space looked busy, I went to another (Taste instead of Savor, just as an example).

I know that Allure of the Seas is a big ship, but so ie Epic and Breakaway. I had MTD in AOS. We would wait 30-45 minutes to be seated in the main dining rooms, sometimes it seemed the host/hostess forgot all about us we had waited so long (at which time they acted surprised we were still in the waiting area and not gone to some other dining venue).

As far as dress is concerned, without a doubt, NCL with Freestyle is the most casual.

But, on last year's Allure sailing, it became quite clear to me that the days of tuxes, gowns, suits, etc were in the minority on formal nights. I think I saw a total of 4 couples with tuxes/gowns...on both formal nights. Maybe a dozen men in ties on formal nights.

The vast majority wore nice pants and nice shirts on formal nights. Jackets and ties were in the minority, too. Women were mostly in dresses (by no means formal ones) and pant suits.

Dress as you like, but I see this trend continuing, and continuing rapidly.

I can only speculate, but I think airlines luggage fees have something to do with it (face it, it's harder/bulkier to pack a tux, suit, formal dress that will be wrinkled). I think the other part is, seeing some of the posts here, most feel they're on vacation, and that dressing up isn't part of that vacation "vibe".

Personally, on my first cruises, I packed a tux. That turned into a suit. That turned into a sports coat with dress shirts and ties. On the Breakaway, I brought nice slacks and dress shirts with ties. I didn't even use the ties.

So, from now on, it's dress shirts and slacks, even on formal nights.

I love the people I travel with, not the clothes they wear. Pictures are a reminder of them, not that they were wearing formal outfits.

But, that certainly doesn't have any bearing on how anyone else dresses. Dress as you like.

What a great synopsis of the MTD on RCI. Thanks . . . I think we will be cheating on NCL for at least one short fling.

Archived