Shipboard account - princess

When filling out the passenger immigration form, u serious the shipboard account section is it better to opt for the preferred currency program or is it better to be charged in us and let the bank do the conversion.....what do you folks normally do? This is our first cruise and it is an alaska cruise I. 6 weeks

I agree with the posters with one clarification. Some cruises are not billed in USD. Specifically, the "Aussie Experience" cruises are billed in Australian dollars (I know OP is going to Alaska and that's billed in USD but other CC members read these posts for information as well). As one said, let your bank convert the money, just accept Princess' billing in the ship's currency. Princess is highly unlikely to give you a better conversion rate than your bank. I suppose there might be a few cards/banks or unique situations where using the Princess conversion would be advantageous but I can't think of any.

The reason you don't want Princess to do the conversion and bill you in non-US currency is that their exchange rates are always very (VERY) bad. You are far better off being charged in US$ and having your bank do the exchange at a more reasonable, and current, exchange.

Also check at your bank and see what they will charge for the conversion change and rate. Some bank credit cards will charge for that service. You can find banks/credit card companies that will not charge a fee and will give you an excellent currency exchange rate based on the date of charge.

But no matter what they charge it will be less than PRincess will charge.

Archived