Why MSC is defining the new cruise industry - opinion

Skipper Tim

Yes, I see how they are calculating it, I was going by the corporations, not the individual cruise lines.

It is the third largest cruise line, not corporation.

I was counting star cruises (Star cruises, NCL and NCL America, 19 ships) as one line.

With between 7-8% of the market each, NCL, MSC and Costa will arguably trade that title all year as new ships come on line

But still, it's single digit market share and that's not much

Here's more info

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/market-share/

Thanks for sharing

I agree, MSC is somewhat new product, and a good one.

What I like about MSC, well judging by our only cruise and the history of this company in Caribbeans, is that this line is flexible and listening to the wishes of the PAX... even here on cruisecritic. :)

I can list all pluses and minuses of our experience with MSC, but I can do this for any other line we sailed with. What important is MSC creates right atmosphere.. so very enjoyable atmosphere, that makes me forget about small minuses.

I wish they somehow stole a piece of NYC market and had cruises from there, or from Boston where we live. :)

"I wish they somehow stole a piece of NYC market and had cruises from there, or from Boston where we live"

Tatka .... maybe in time they will depending on how things go with the Divina, at least they will be sending a ship that is under 2 years old unlike some of the other cruise lines when they send theirs to Europe!

"It is the third largest cruise line, not corporation"

you forgot to mention that they also have the youngest in age fleet of ships.

"I wish they somehow stole a piece of NYC market and had cruises from there, or from Boston where we live"

Tatka .... maybe in time they will depending on how things go with the Divina, at least they will be sending a ship that is under 2 years old unlike some of the other cruise lines when they send theirs to Europe!

"It is the third largest cruise line, not corporation"

you forgot to mention that they also have the youngest in age fleet of ships.

I also didn't mention it is the lowest rated line on cruise critic;)

I'll leave you to enjoy your cruises

I also didn't mention it is the lowest rated line on cruise critic;)

That old discredited tosh. :D

Just have a look at the overall rankings there and see where other well known brands and ships sit. Plus the rating differences themselves are fairly minor, which also helps to explains the variances.

You were going so well til you threw that in. ;)

"Too bad your attempts at educating yourself have ended in failure, don't be so hard on yourself"

You are too funny by half .... :D

I take everything you say with a pinch of Salt, if you told me it was dark outside I would go and check because you cannot be believed on anything you say!

No doubt you will be telling me my car tyres come from India just because it says India on them ... :rolleyes:

I cannot stand anything that purports to be something that it isn't and let's be honest when Cunard, Costa and Holland America sold themselves to Carnival, they sold their cultural identities and heritage as well. MSC does not purport to be anything but Italian; they offer a cruise experience that has not been bastardised by corporate America and this is why I believe they will grow from strength to strength in the coming years.

They do not need the North American market as their ships already boom in South America, South Africa and the Mediterranean; it just makes business sense to want to try and get more slices of the pie and I think it is commendable how they try and accommodate North Americans with their free water, free coffee and those bloody towel animals; while maintaining true to their identity.

Bastardized cruising experience

Going from Orchestra class to MSC Divina

Promenade deck has gone

Front observation deck has gone

Still no hydropool in spa

Some 4000 passengers are now squeezed into 139, 000 GT ship

Who bastardized cruising experience?

MSC Divina

Water slide

Domed pool

Midship isle superstructure with restaurants

Aft pool

From what bastardized cruise lines was this ”Italian identity” imported from?

Italian Identity

Ruby Princess was designed and built in Italy.

The Captain and most officers are Italian.

Princess pizza is considered “best at sea” (I cannot prove it as I don’t eat junk food on cruise ships – no pizza, no burgers, etc.)

Mr. Alfredo Marzi (Master Chef of Princess fleet) is an Ambassador of Italian Cuisine to the World – a title granted by the President of Italy.

Do we need Italian (French, German, Russian) “identity” of a ship to cruise in the Caribbean?

Isn’t it better just to sail on a more comfortable ship on a better itinerary?

Sold and lost heritage

Cunard Queens and Holland America Signature class ships are amazing floating exhibitions of Maritime Heritage.

Every square inch displays their identity and glorious history.

Their nautical décor tastes like classy sea travel, not like faceless glitzy party ship.

BTW MS Willem Ruys – the predecessor of MSC fleet can be seen on one of the paintings on board HAL Eurodam.

FYI – RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic were property of an American company.

Such a loss of identity and heritage!

There is no WE in cruising. :D

To each his own.

Why do some people constantly feel like they need to tell everybody why they are not sailing with MSC? :D

Where do you get your information from ?

On the Two occasions we sailed on the Ruby Princess in its first year of sailing the Captain was Tony Yeomans who is English and from Derby in England! his Staff Captain on both occasions was from Southern Ireland, one of his Senior officers was a young Woman from England. Yes there was two Italian junior officers onboard who were also on the Bridge during our two visits.

Captain of the the New Royal princess is English!

The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are nothing more than Vista class hulls just like their sisters in the HAL group along with the P and O Arcadia which was to be the original Queen Victoria.

Cunard ships are living in the past with their Ballroom dancing and afternoon tea, fine for those who want to remain there.

Where do you get your information from ?

On the Two occasions we sailed on the Ruby Princess in its first year of sailing the Captain was Tony Yeomans who is English and from Derby in England! his Staff Captain on both occasions was from Southern Ireland, one of his Senior officers was a young Woman from England. Yes there was two Italian junior officers onboard who were also on the Bridge during our two visits.

Captain of the the New Royal princess is English!.

Absolutely! Great Captain!

"Too bad your attempts at educating yourself have ended in failure, don't be so hard on yourself"

You are too funny by half .... :D

I take everything you say with a pinch of Salt, if you told me it was dark outside I would go and check because you cannot be believed on anything you say!

No doubt you will be telling me my car tyres come from India just because it says India on them ... :rolleyes:

In that case, you can rest assured I find your comments witty and informative.

As for the tires on your car, I'm not as familiar as you with the manual trades so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, perhaps you meant to post on the automotive forum?

Bastardized cruising experience

Going from Orchestra class to MSC Divina

Promenade deck has gone

Front observation deck has gone

Still no hydropool in spa

Some 4000 passengers are now squeezed into 139, 000 GT ship

Who bastardized cruising experience?

MSC Divina

Water slide

Domed pool

Midship isle superstructure with restaurants

Aft pool

From what bastardized cruise lines was this ”Italian identity” imported from

Evolving with the cruise industry is not bastardization as long as you stay true to yourself, but selling yourself as something you not (Cunard, HAL, Costa, P&O) is; perhaps your narcissistic personality disorder runs too deep to understand that, but hey at least I tried.

Italian Identity

Ruby Princess was designed and built in Italy.

Princess pizza is considered “best at sea” (I cannot prove it as I don’t eat junk food on cruise ships – no pizza, no burgers, etc.)

Mr. Alfredo Marzi (Master Chef of Princess fleet) is an Ambassador of Italian Cuisine to the World , serving Americanized pseudo Italian fare that he is not proud of, but hey the pay is good – a title granted by the President of Italy.

Correction

Do we need Italian (French, German, Russian) “identity” of a ship to cruise in the Caribbean?

Why not? Contrary to what you believe there is more to this world than the 50 states.

Isn’t it better just to sail on a more comfortable ship on a better itinerary?

Having no personal MSC experience how can you make such bold statements about how comfortable MSC ships are?

Sold and lost heritage

Cunard Queens and Holland America Signature class ships are amazing floating exhibitions of Maritime Heritage.

Every square inch displays their identity and glorious history.

Their nautical décor tastes like classy sea travel, not like faceless glitzy party ship.

BTW MS Willem Ruys – the predecessor of MSC fleet can be seen on one of the paintings on board HAL Eurodam.

An exhibition on Egypt in the British Museum doesn't make the Museum Egyptian....

Having no personal MSC experience how can you make such bold statements about how comfortable MSC ships are?

This is experience.

I cruise on all major cruise lines and study ships.

Being a fan of the only cruise line does not help understanding what is happening in the world of cruising.

It's like seeing no further that your backyard.

This is experience.

I cruise on all major cruise lines and study ships.

Being a fan of the only cruise line does not help understanding what is happening in the world of cruising.

It's like seeing no further that your backyard.

Like you I also study ships, to the extent that before finding out that I did not have the interest to continue studies in Mechanical Engineering it was always my dream to be a naval architect.

That being said; yes I agree some ships have better designs than others and for me personally I much preferred what was being produced in the 60's and 70's, however cruising is also an experience that touches on the emotions and for me the tangible does not always satisfy the emotional.

I have done 19 nights on Holland America and for me the experience was fake; pseudo Dutch if you want to be more specific. Yes, they have all the tangible elements that make a classic cruise ship, however that is where it ended in that the experience, was nothing short of a Disneyland themed hotel and I prefer to live in the real rather than the make believe.

There is no WE in cruising. :D

To each his own.

Why do some people constantly feel like they need to tell everybody why they are not sailing with MSC? :D

Good question Tatka, I've been wondering the same.

There are lines that I would never consider trying based on what I've read about them and friends experience, but I don't haunt the boards for them telling everyone why I'm right not to choose them and anyone considering them shouldn't.

"As for the tires on your car, I'm not as familiar as you with the manual trades so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, perhaps you meant to post on the automotive forum?"

You never said you were a comedian! but i guessed from some of the Funny stuff you have posted.

Good question Tatka, I've been wondering the same.

There are lines that I would never consider trying based on what I've read about them and friends experience, but I don't haunt the boards for them telling everyone why I'm right not to choose them and anyone considering them shouldn't.

I am glad everyone is enjoying a lively discussion.

However, I too cannot understand Cruisetail's motivation. Is it financial, masochistic or religious? Why lurk about on the forum of a cruise line he/she/it has never sailed on and never intends to? Some human behaviour I simply cannot understand.

So we have established that MSC is already no. 3 but with single digit market share has huge room for growth, that some U.S. traditionalists genuinely believe their favourite U.S. lines are European and are not so keen on the real thing and that Duane wanted to be a naval architect. Is 'naval architect' rhyming slang for something?

I would like Cruisetail to start a new thread to explain his/her/it's precise enjoyment of a promenade deck, so that every other thread does not descend in to such a discussion.

I made clear with the title that this was just an opinion piece. I never expected contributions so forthright on matters I had not raised.

My central argument was, regardless of whether you like it or not, what MSC is doing will leave the bigger players in a rather awkward and unpleasant position. MSC can deliver what almost all those new to cruising, and many others besides, want, then some, at fares which the other lines cannot compete with. I was recognising that their game is long and the witless protests of the likes of Cruisetail were expected but irrelevant.

Tim.

My central argument was, regardless of whether you like it or not, what MSC is doing will leave the bigger players in a rather awkward and unpleasant position. MSC can deliver what almost all those new to cruising, and many others besides, want, then some, at fares which the other lines cannot compete with. I was recognising that their game is long and the witless protests of the likes of Cruisetail were expected but irrelevant.

My only concern is that one of the big two will purchase MSC and change the product.......surf and turf at gala anyone?

Archived