Why MSC is defining the new cruise industry - opinion

Skipper Tim

I do not find Carnival's food well prepared and better than NCL & MSC.

In my analogy, I was using the good old American hamburger as an example, not as a blanket statement on food quality. I believe we've covered the better offerings from each line in a different thread one time didn't we?:)

Ahh, but they DO cater to the US market, it's been established that they have changed their policies in the Caribbean and also in Europe for US passengers.

Cater to the market yes, but adopt their norms as standard, no.

Using your McDonalds analogy, just because MSC/Italian is the dominant style doesn't mean every passenger wants that style.

No, and hence they choose another line. You don't go to McDonalds and expect to get something they're not.

I will add that the big lines seem to do a poor job when attempting to offer another cultures meals.

Indeed!

On my Celebrity Baltic cruise, they tried to have both a German menu and Russian menu when we were in cities in those countries.

It was very much like ordering pizza in China...

"Royal" - this ship does not exist.

Must be "Something" of the Seas.

He already referred to Allure in his post.

I guess you didn't find anything to disagree with the rest of his rebuttal of your poorly researched claims that MSC "does not define anything new", and are "subpar."

He already referred to Allure in his post.

I guess you didn't find anything to disagree with the rest of his rebuttal of your poorly researched claims that MSC "does not define anything new", and are "subpar."

Allure??

So he has the Allure of the Seas "included in the price"!:)

Wrong guess.

The rest of the misconcept was covered:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39405606&postcount=111

"Poor reseach?"

Could you be more specific?

What does your research say?

What did you find on the Divina that "defines the new cruise industry"?:)

So to wrap up, we are all agreed to disagree with each other. Well no, we even disagree about that.

I am agreed. I agree with myself and the OP. It is somewhat refreshing to reread the O.P. after all the bickering.

I do think the big U.S. cruise corps will be worried by MSC's incursion into their space and not on a model of emulation. I think we do agree that MSC are not, generally, emulating U.S. cruise lines.

It was time for a change in the cruise market, if not a big shake up. It had become a competition between the super-freaky gimmicks and the fake tradition. More diversity, more choice, genuine foreign culture and each to their own.

All change!

Tim.

Check out your prices - NCL's Haven may be exclusive, but drinks are NOT included and their prices are MUCH higher. I was able to get the Royal Suite on MSC for more than half the price of NCL's "whatever suite" that is their top billing and............drinks are FREE with the fare!!!!! :p

And another thing............ our last cruise was with CCL. Had I heard our steward say again "I only want to make you happy!", I would have hurled. I can't wait for MSC's "standoffish" crew!!!

No, he compared prices.

He compared perks.

But forgot to mention the main perk - the Allure.:)

Then what prompted that delayed outburst when you'd already replied?

And another thing............ our last cruise was with CCL. Had I heard our steward say again "I only want to make you happy!", I would have hurled. I can't wait for MSC's "standoffish" crew!!!

I would have gone straight for the railing the first time....

He compared perks.

But forgot to mention the main perk - the Allure.:)

… Except it doesn’t have a promenade deck.

I didn't make that claim.

And that doesn't answer the question: "Then what prompted that delayed outburst when you'd already replied?"

… Except it doesn’t have a promenade deck.

The Allure does have wrap-around promenade deck.

And that doesn't answer the question: "Then what prompted that delayed outburst when you'd already replied?"

My posts are about the ships.

I do not post personal remarks. It does not make sense and it is forbidden by CC guidelines.

Therefore I don't aswer personal remarks especially made in rude and disrespectful manner.

Sorry.

I didn't make that claim.

OK.:)

I think MSC added something new to the industry. I have not been on their largest ships however I was impressed by the size of bars/lounges of Poesia. When you have spaces like this it is easier to provide smaller scale entertainment for larger number of people.

The Allure does have wrap-around promenade deck.

No. It does have a wraparound jogging track though. But that's not the same thing.

Therefore I don't aswer personal remarks especially made in rude and disrespectful manner.

Your post replying to the other poster that "this ship does not exist" when it did, was said in that manner.

It seemed odd that after replying you needed to reply again some time later solely to be apparently disrespectful.

No. It does have a wraparound jogging track though. But that's not the same thing.

The Allure of the Seas does have a wrap-around promenade.

Call it jogging track or whatever. It's not exactly what the Freedom class has.

It's not as luxurious as Cunard or HAL promenades.

Nevertheless it's a promenade deck.

It's located where promenade decks should be, it looks like promenade deck and it is used as promenade deck.

2070r6d.jpg

It's located where promenade decks should be,

Yes.

it looks like promenade deck

No. It looks like a jogging track. And has lots of walls. There's very little space for seats and very few of them.

Even your picture above shows how inadequate it is. Can you imagine sitting in one of those? You couldn't even sit properly in one!

Squeezed into the rail, your legs either bent or squeezed through the rails and being bumped by the traffic behind you?!

and it is used as promenade deck.

Not really. It's used as a jogging track.

I do not find Carnival's food well prepared and better than NCL & MSC.

well it is......

Dennis

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

Archived