A question re bringing soda on board.

karensi

Hi, since we are sailing on the Breakaway I asked this on the Breakaway board, but so far, no responses, so thought I would post here.

I would like to bring some soda on board, about 12 small bottles of diet coke.

Can I pack these in my suitcase and just check it in when we get to the pier, or does the soda have to be in a carry on and be shown to someone before we board?

I know you have to bring wine, alcohol in your carry on to show to NCL staff but I guess thats because you have to pay the bottle/corkage fee. Since theres no fee to bring the soda on board can I just pack it and send it on its way in my checked bag,or ,for whatever reason, do I have to have it with me to show NCL staff before boarding?

Thanks so much,

Karen :)

Don't put it in your checked bag. It will show up on the scanners as liquid and you will have to retrieve your bags rather than them deliver them to your room.

Apparently, you can put a label directly on the bottles in some places and they will deliver it, as long as they can see what it is.

We had a closed box of 10 Perrier (mineral water) cans in a soft sided cooler that we brought with our carry-on luggage. They just checked at security that it wasn't alcohol and sent us through. Easy as you please. The quantity was much too small to label and send on with our checked-luggage... the contents would have been crushed.

DD put a luggage tag on two 12 can cases of Pepsi products two years ago and left them with the porters on the pier. The cases never made their way to our room. I would suggest putting them in a roll duffel bag or on a luggage carrier and take them with you. That way you know they will make your room. NCL did replace the two cases but they did not have the same things she brought on. That was the reason for her to carry on the two cases.

Don't put them in your luggage

Get a small roll of that stretchy clear stuff. Wrap it up so the bottles are firm. Tape your luggage tag to it. I say not to put it in your luggage because the people in the cabin next to us did that last year. One of the bottles broke open and they were not that happy

Don't put them in your luggage

Get a small roll of that stretchy clear stuff. Wrap it up so the bottles are firm. Tape your luggage tag to it. I say not to put it in your luggage because the people in the cabin next to us did that last year. One of the bottles broke open and they were not that happy

I can understand that being a problem...to say the least. But, if Im willing to take a chance on the bottles not breaking (12 small, plastic diet coke btls) then is it OK to put in the checked in luggage? My focus is not having them hold my bag in the "naughty room" cause maybe they think I have alcohol in those bottles or just cause they dont want you to bring any liquid on board without them seeing it.

SliceOfLife says they have done it without problem, just wondering if anyone else can assure me that soda in the checked in bag wont present a problem.

Thanks,

Karen

... just wondering if anyone else can assure me that soda in the checked in bag wont present a problem.

Thanks,

Karen

Sorry, nobody can assure you. Pretty sure everyone here will assure you can take it aboard. But, if in checked luggage it could be flagged.

We have a small roll aboard that we keep stuff like that it, along with wine, valuables, change of clothes in case bags get lost, etc. We wheel to lunch, then to our cabin.

I can understand that being a problem...to say the least. But, if Im willing to take a chance on the bottles not breaking (12 small, plastic diet coke btls) then is it OK to put in the checked in luggage? My focus is not having them hold my bag in the "naughty room" cause maybe they think I have alcohol in those bottles or just cause they dont want you to bring any liquid on board without them seeing it.

SliceOfLife says they have done it without problem, just wondering if anyone else can assure me that soda in the checked in bag wont present a problem.

Thanks,

Karen

Just because you don't mind getting soda all over your clothes, please think about the other people's luggage around your bag, in the large bins, when they pile it in to load it on the ship.

We had someone else's soda leak all over our bag on our first western cruise.

Just a kind thought about your fellow cruisers.:)

Bill

We strapped a 36 count water and 2 12packs together on a rolling luggage cart (the fold up kind) a little duct tape to make it feel more secure, slapped on a luggage tag and it g0t delivered to the room with the rest of the luggage without a problem. I imagine that in a duffel would work fine too just don't forget the luggage tag

Thanks everyone. I will take all the advice into consideration. Maybe will see about securing the bottles with tape and putting a luggage tag on and will keep my fingers crossed that they arrive at my cabin, although putting into my checked in bag is really what I want to do. Grrrrrr.

When checking in for your cruise do the cans of soda need to be in a pack

(12 pack) or can you have them in a bag loose. Not sure what the supermarket in venice sells the cans in ( packs or singles)

I just got back from the NCL Gem cruise and I packed away 2 bottles of wine, 2 12 packs, 2 bottles of juice for my kids and some bottled water! All arrived fine in my room. Plus I didn't have to pay a cork fee, thank you very much!!!!

Archived