How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

LOL.

Carnival & NCL clientele. This is too funny. Taking potshors at three conpany at the same time.

Too bad HAL which is not new to Caribbeans has to lower prices to attract any clientele it can get.

Cruise trail , what are the port times for each?

Thank you for putting that all together, It was very interesting

Is it just this one example, mainly the number of ports I gathered, that has put you off MSC in general?

Or will you consider them for a future cruise?

If I gave you the next cruise I'm considering would you perform the same research for me?

Thanks Doug

Are you sure? Looking at your list of cruises, most of them will never happen for OP. Especially if HAL Signature was around. Were they bad?

Edited by Tatka

Forward Sun Deck

Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam at sea.

Forward Sun Deck (free access) is Deck 12 (retreat cabanas are seen behind it on Deck 11)

a42_zps10691294.jpg

44_zps6fd2c919.jpg

you forgot to say that you must pay to use cabanas) and I am pretty sure you must pay for Crown nest.

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

Much of this is not true, of course.

The promenade deck was very popular on our Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam, not because the ship was boring, but because many HAL cruisers, ourselves included, value the outdoor promenade deck very highly. There were extremely few wheelchairs (though former Surgeon General of the United States C. Everett Koop happened to be in one of them), and a large proportion of pax were well under 70. The dance combo in the Ocean Bar ended at midnight, but the nightclub undoubtedly went on well past that. Nothing shut down at 9. Children were effectively absent from our 10-night March cruise.

DH and I have never found a cruise ship boring (Celebrity, Carnival, HAL) because we are not boring. We find plenty to enjoy on board because we enjoy each other.

These misunderstandings about HAL seem to crop up often, perpetuated mostly either by those who have not sailed with HAL, or by those who are better suited to a different cruise line, but seem to find it necessary to insist that because they did not care for HAL, no one should.

To each his own. I'll take HAL.

For you its not true for me its true:rolleyes:.I dont need promenade deck I have my balcony . I sailed on Eurodam and "famoust" Noordam . Still don't get why Noordam has good reviews.:rolleyes: I'll take Hal as well in 30 years time ,no problem)I love Hal its a nice line but not for us for now .

Itinerary!

HAL Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale

At Sea

Grand Turk

San Juan

St. Thomas

At Sea

Half Moon Cay

Fort Lauderdale

MSC Divina

Miami

At Sea

At Sea

St. Maarten

San Juan

At Sea

Great Stirrup Cay

Miami

HAL offered much better itinerary for Eastern Caribbean.

Four ports vs three.

HAL offers Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay - two stops we are looking forward most of all (video)

I don't mind sea days but the comparison of our two options is not in favor of MSC Divina:

huge number of passengers,

significant space taken out of public use d/t presence of Yacht Club,

clustered aft pool deck,

lack of real promenade deck,

lack of observation lounge,

lack of observation deck.

Add better food on HAL

Add Hydropool on HAL

Add better cabin on HAL

On top of that all - the offer from HAL will cost us.... $150 less.

Tough choice.....:)

My first cruise with MSC?

Time will tell.

I need at list one attractive thing besides "technical interest".

They cannot rebuild the ship.

They won't reduce capacity.

What they can improve: itinerary, food, order on board.

Best wishes to MSC Divina.

If they work hard - this ship will find a lot of followers among Carnival and NCL clientele.

LOL CArnival clientele??? For someone who is looking for cheap inside cabin only you are bit too snoby.:eek:

I feel it is time to move over onto the HAL forum and start reviewing the Nieuw Amsterdam.

MSC Bloody Mary: huge celery tree!

HAL bloody mary: no celery :(

MSC pasta: fresh, made in front of you!

HAL pasta: factory dried :(

MSC service: discreet, professional, old-World European

HAL service: "Do you want a drink? Have a nice day" :(

MSC opera: Puccini, Bellini, Verdi

HAL opera: what? :(

MSC ships ballast: 22 ct gold

HAL ships ballast: iron ore :(

MSC public loos: automatic lighting, all compartments (no urinals), all paper hand towels

HAL public loos: over the side, wipe your hands on passing staff :(

MSC promenade deck: not required due to everyone having such a good time

HAL promenade deck: necessary.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I also fail to understand why AT is that important in todays cruising. I hardly can eat anything between lunch and dinner. Sweets are available in buffet till 4-5 r maybe even later for starving. :)

LOL CArnival clientele??? For someone who is looking for cheap inside cabin only you are bit too snoby.:eek:

Yes, clientele remark was strange. We sailed with HAL during the summer, and haven't noticed much of difference between lets say NCL and HAL.

We loved clientele on MSC. :)

you forgot to say that you must pay to use cabanas

No.

See post#27.

No need to mention though - this kind of service is always extra fee.

I am pretty sure you must pay for Crown nest.

Crow's Nest?

No, it's free.

Observation lounges are free on cruise ships (Cunard, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity).

For someone who is looking for cheap inside cabin

Our suitcases will be upset :(

Yes, clientele remark was strange.

What is strange?

Carnival Breeze, NCL Breakaway or Epic, MSC Divina - all are "high density" mega party ships, huge capacity, less open space (the Breeze is better but way too many pax), close price range.

Similar products for similar price.

Why should clientele differ?

There is nothing wrong to be Carnival and NCL clientele BTW.

The Divina will be nose to nose with Carnival in Miami.

Edited by cruisetrail

Prices are very subjective point in today's cruising. Open space? I do not think this is a main criteria. Definitely not. Two ships with the same space/pax ratio can feel differently and appeal to different clientele. What I find for us and for many other people ambiance (atmosphere), activities, entertainment, service which they are accustomed to are much more important.

MSC service: discreet, professional, old-World European

HAL service: "Do you want a drink? Have a nice day" :(

On HAL: Yes, thanks, I would like a drink/No thanks, I don't need anything. ;)

MSC ships ballast: 22 ct gold

HAL ships ballast: iron ore :(

Who cares/who sees it? :D

MSC public loos: automatic lighting, all compartments (no urinals), all paper hand towels

HAL public loos: over the side, wipe your hands on passing staff :(

HAL: cloth hand towels as well as paper towels. ;)

Have you ever sailed on HAL?

Edited to add disclosure: I have not read this whole thread yet so that last question may not be relevant.

Edited by Boytjie

Cruise trail , what are the port times for each?

Thank you for putting that all together, It was very interesting

Is it just this one example, mainly the number of ports I gathered, that has put you off MSC in general?

Or will you consider them for a future cruise?

If I gave you the next cruise I'm considering would you perform the same research for me?

Thanks Doug

You are very welcome.

Divina

1. St. Maarten.......... 9:00am - 5:00pm

2. San Juan ..............7:00am - 3:00pm

3. Great Stirrup Cay.. 9:00am - 6:00pm

HAL

1. Grand Turk.......... 8:00am - 3:00pm

2. San Juan............. 1:00pm - 11:00pm

3. St. Thomas.......... 8:00am - 5:00pm

4. Half Moon Cay...... 8:00am - 3:00pm

Not only number of ports.

Had it been the "right ship" I would have tried it even with no stops - given "technical interest" factor.

There are "self-sufficient" ships I can cruise with no concern of ports - RCI Oasis class, HAL Signature class.

MSC Divina is not "self-sufficient".

I see critical gaps in Divina's product, so I need a sort of compensation from elsewhere to be satisfied with the whole experience.

Even the stops I am not interested in would be a plus - getting some respite as crowds go ashore.

So three sea days on 7nt cruise is too much for a ship like Divina (Carnival Breeze, NCL Epic, etc.)

And of course, marvelous places like Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are always a beautiful addition to any cruise.

Same for Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam - resort ships fit resort islands precisely - like Staten Island ferries fit their terminals.

Ha-ha!

The Divina has been researched and ready to have you on board.

Want to get a golden coin of the Caribbean cruises?

One side is Allure of the Seas, another one is Eurodam or NA.

Find some time to have B2B on them!

Happy cruising!

What is strange?

Carnival Breeze, NCL Breakaway or Epic, MSC Divina - all are "high density" mega party ships, .

Now here, I really do have to disagree with you. I've sailed 16 times with MSC and spent well over 100 nights onboard and they most definitely are not a party ship. If they were, I most certainly would not sail on them. You may have done your research but you have not experienced them.

On holiday I want peace and quiet to relax, read and listen to my music without someone "pushing" drinks all the time. I love classical music and Opera particularly Puccini and Verdi and I get that too ( and its live music by very talented mainly Eastern European musicians and Italian opera singers).

I get it that you love Hal and it has all the things that suit you. I feel like that about MSC. they Re not perfect but they on the whole suit me. My list of requirements is very different from your though.

Edited by AmoMondo

Now here, I really do have to disagree with you. I've sailed 16 times with MSC and spent well over 100 nights onboard and they most definitely are not a party ship. If they were, I most certainly would not sail on them. You may have done your research but you have not experienced them.

On holiday I want peace and quiet to relax, read and listen to my music without someone "pushing" drinks all the time. I love classical music and Opera particularly Puccini and Verdi and I get that too ( and its live music by very talented mainly Eastern European musicians and Italian opera singers).

This is exactly what we've experienced on Poesia.

I doubt any mass-market (or not) line will match it.

Edited by Tatka

On holiday I want peace and quiet to relax, read and listen to my music without someone "pushing" drinks all the time.

Last September on the Poesia in La Pigalle lounge. For 3 hours I had a waitress and a bar man all to myself. Just caught their eye if I wanted a drink. Reading my kindle or watching the wake. Absolute bliss until my DW found me. :-)

I also loved absence of loud announcements. Even during disembarkation, announcements happened only in designated lounges. This is a true respect to the passengers.

I get it that you love Hal and it has all the things that suit you. I feel like that about MSC. they Re not perfect but they on the whole suit me. My list of requirements is very different from your though.

You would probably like HAL's explorations cafe then, it's very relaxing:

Explorations Café

The Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times offers a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through one of the most extensive libraries at sea, view a wide array of audio and video programming, or simply read the morning paper.

Guests can also enjoy fresh pastries and their favorite espresso drink provided by Torrefazione Italia.

Additional highlights include:

Internet stations featuring news and email, with free access to The New York Times online edition (wireless hot spots also available for those traveling with laptops)

Destination-related content provided by The New York Times, as well as unique travel-related New York Times crossword puzzles

Large jigsaw puzzle tables

The Explorations Speaker Series on longer voyages, feature guest lecturers and discussions on varied topics related to the history, culture and cuisine of ports of call.

I didn't think MSC was a party ship, lots of kids on my cruise but we expected it, being loyal CC readers we knew in advance.

Party ships?

Try the 3 day offerings from Miami by CCL and NCL:eek:

Now here, I really do have to disagree with you. I've sailed 16 times with MSC and spent well over 100 nights onboard and they most definitely are not a party ship. If they were, I most certainly would not sail on them.

AmoMondo, the history you provided says that you sailed on Fantasia (Divina) class ship only once - back in 2009.

Friends, please do not mix up different ships.

Our options were MSC Divina (Fantasia class) and Eurodam/ Nieuw Amsterdam (Holland America Signature class ships).

We are not discussing cruise lines here.

MSC Musika class ships (2006) are mid-sized cruise ships designed in a different way than the Divina.

The Divina is a large capacity mega ship to rival corresponding products of other cruise lines (Carnival Breeze, Norwegian Epic).

I don't bring here other HAL ships that have nothing to do with this thread.

I don't consider smaller HAL ships at all.

There is no point in discussing Musika, Poesia, Orchestra, Magnifica when we are talking about Divina (Fantasia, Splendida, Preziosa).

Edited by cruisetrail

We did one HAL cruise, and although there were some hefty issues and they offered us $250 obc, 2 category upgrade and vip status for another cruise, we have not gone back. WHY? BORING..... Shows were horrible. WE were on EURODAM and it was a mess. The food was close to boring also. Service was horrible.

We love MSC. It is totally different cruise. Where I hated Opera night 5 years ago, I now look forward to it. WHY? Because the singers on MSC can really sing, and the dancers can really dance....unlike the high school productions found on most of the other cruise lines. You will see amazing entertainment on any MSC cruise. You will interact with staff, talk with them, dance with them. The servers are not always asking you for a drink order to sheer annoyance. The theaters are not for selling liquor but to enjoy a show.

The european flair is wonderful. We have LOVED their food. I would not order the Stars and Stripes ( always there for the American palate) side. I would always go with the Italian side. Their pastas are wonderful. What you did not see on the menu was that the dining captain would prepare a pasta with different sauces each night and then deliver them to the tables.

MSC has the best baked Alaska with wonderful flavors unlike the traditional vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. We have had pistacio, butter pecan, banana. They bake it to perfection. Their food is mouth watering and melt in your mouth subtle flavors. Their ships sparkle with CRYSTALS and cleanliness. There is someone there cleaning each stairwell every day. The lounges have such wonderful LIVE music, with dancing.

MSC is a very different cruise. It is full of PASSION and Heart. It remains our favorite no matter what other line we try we concur that nothing compares to MSC ( USA Division).

Last September on the Poesia in La Pigalle lounge. For 3 hours I had a waitress and a bar man all to myself. Just caught their eye if I wanted a drink. Reading my kindle or watching the wake. Absolute bliss until my DW found me. :-)

Moments in time like that are what makes life so awesome

Yes, clientele remark was strange. We sailed with HAL during the summer, and haven't noticed much of difference between lets say NCL and HAL.

We loved clientele on MSC. :)

Interesting comments, HAL has also been compared to an geriatric convention in this thread.

Passion & Heart is correct definition of what we experienced on MSC.

By the way going by size HAL Vista and Signature classes need to be compared to Musica, Orchestra, Poesia and Magnifica. Apples to apples.

We did one HAL cruise, and although there were some hefty issues and they offered us $250 obc, 2 category upgrade and vip status for another cruise, we have not gone back. WHY? BORING..... Shows were horrible. WE were on EURODAM and it was a mess. The food was close to boring also. Service was horrible.

We love MSC. It is totally different cruise. Where I hated Opera night 5 years ago, I now look forward to it. WHY? Because the singers on MSC can really sing, and the dancers can really dance....unlike the high school productions found on most of the other cruise lines. You will see amazing entertainment on any MSC cruise. You will interact with staff, talk with them, dance with them. The servers are not always asking you for a drink order to sheer annoyance. The theaters are not for selling liquor but to enjoy a show.

The european flair is wonderful. We have LOVED their food. I would not order the Stars and Stripes ( always there for the American palate) side. I would always go with the Italian side. Their pastas are wonderful. What you did not see on the menu was that the dining captain would prepare a pasta with different sauces each night and then deliver them to the tables.

MSC has the best baked Alaska with wonderful flavors unlike the traditional vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. We have had pistacio, butter pecan, banana. They bake it to perfection. Their food is mouth watering and melt in your mouth subtle flavors. Their ships sparkle with CRYSTALS and cleanliness. There is someone there cleaning each stairwell every day. The lounges have such wonderful LIVE music, with dancing.

MSC is a very different cruise. It is full of PASSION and Heart. It remains our favorite no matter what other line we try we concur that nothing compares to MSC ( USA Division).

Cam, your observations of HAL are exactly what I thought.....I always thought it was just me that thought;

Their singers were tone deaf;

The food was unimaginative and lacked flavor;

The ship was dirty - persistent strange odors aside;

They hard sell at every opportunity, even when you at a wine tasting which you have paid for;

The morning show by the cruise director is both puerile and insulting.