Round trip New York - must you disembark in New York?

Rockbird

Joining the QM2 in Southampton this coming Saturday and wondered what happens in New York. Everyone in the party has been to NY many times and has no real wish to see anything else. Besides, there's not an awful lot of time.

So, are we able to stay on board or must we get off? Also, does anyone know if we have to change cabins or are we in the same one for both crossings? Have done TA a few times but never a round trip. Thanks :)

We just got off the QM2 in NY on July1st. I noticed in the disembarkation information that everyone does have to get off the ship while in NY.

What they said is this...that people not wishing to go ashore in NYC should wait for last call to get off the ship and then go through customs in the terminal. These people would then be directed to sit in the embarkation area until the ship is cleared and they can go back on board.

Seemed a little silly to me, but it must be some Custom's rule.

As to your cabin. If you bought a round trip on the QM2, then you should be staying in the same cabin. By now they would have advised you if you had to change. We actually bought three trips in a row a few years back and stayed in the same cabin on all three segments. We did however change seating in the dining room.

I will try to answer however things do change so this is not carved in granite

New York you may haveto get off AFTER all the tours and disembarking passengers have gone, this is to go though immigration (so you will need passport) You will receive instructions by letter in your cabin .

After going through immigration, you will be able to re board the ship, though you may have to wait a while in a holding area

Cabins. What does your paper work say, does it indicate that you have the same cabin?

I have been on a cruise where I was told (not asked) to vacate my larger cabin so that other passengers could have it, I was to take their smaller cabin. I realized this was in fact something arranged "under the table" with the Hotel Director and I refused to do this

However there are times when a change of cabin is "legal" For instance did you get an upgrade for the TA, and are now put back into that grade you booked for the rest of the B2B.?

If this happens you should receive help shifting your cases, but of course you will have the hassle of packing them.

Dining , you may find that you have another table for the other half of your trip. If you particularly wish to stay at the same table (for its location or good service) see the Maitre D' and tell him that you do NOT wish to move.

Have a great trip

Lynn

Also regarding upgrades: it would be extremely unlikely that you would be upgraded for one half of a back to back. It may be two voyages but for someone booking a B2B it's classed as one voyage. It would be like having an upgrade for half a Carribean cruise for example.

Thanks for the replies. If we have to get off and go through immigration then we might as well hop in a taxi. The older members of the party probably won't, particularly in the heat.

There is nothing on our paperwork to suggest a different cabin so I'll assume we're ok to stay where we are. If we have to move tables, well, I don't think any of us will be too fussed about that so we'll see.

Many thanks. Just praying for a nice smooth crossing now!

Thanks for the replies. If we have to get off and go through immigration then we might as well hop in a taxi. The older members of the party probably won't, particularly in the heat.

There is nothing on our paperwork to suggest a different cabin so I'll assume we're ok to stay where we are. If we have to move tables, well, I don't think any of us will be too fussed about that so we'll see.

Many thanks. Just praying for a nice smooth crossing now!

Hi Rockbird. Maybe you'd enjoy visiting Brooklyn Heights, a 10 minute cab ride from the Redhook Pier. It's generally cooler and quieter in Brooklyn Heights than it is in Manhattan. There as some nice little shops and restaurants in the area, as well as the Brooklyn Heights Promenade (info here http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/brhe.html

Best wishes for an enjoyable voyage. -S.

Just an FYI -- Immigration for B2B doesn't take that long -- I have never had it take more than an hour -- just bring something to read. It's kind of nice when you get back on and for a bit have the ship "all to yourself". It's also a good time to use the laundry if you have been on an extended voyage. Best wishes. Katherine

That's handy to know. Laundry will definitely be required. Am just packing the children's cases now!

Yes Brooklyn is a definite option. We have always gone into Manhattan and stayed there. This is the first time we've turned round and gone straight home!

I have been on many round trip crossings and I have never had to change staterooms, nor have I ever met anyone who had to do so. I have never changed dining sittings either.

Actually we have been on a B2B which meant a cabin change...the cabin we had on the first leg was already booked for the second leg of the trip so we knew we would have to move at changeover time,

They provided a trolley which we pushed with our belongings to the new cabin allocation, so it can happen.

I have been on many round trip crossings and I have never had to change staterooms, nor have I ever met anyone who had to do so. I have never changed dining sittings either.

On a Princess cruise some time ago we were actually changed sittings as well as table on what was sold as a 2week cruise in the UK but sold as 2 single week cruises in the states...the reason was a large contingent of club supporters coming aboard the second week and they wanted to sit all together on the same sitting.We also lost a couple of formal nights since this group did not want to "dress"-and wanted to go around in club clothing...so the formals were cancelled.

Seeing as we had packed to suit the original dress code requirements and did not want to change sitting or table we have not been back on Princess since then.

This cruise left from Puerto Rico.

The tail wagging the dog?

U.S. Customs & Immigration won't clear the ship for re-boarding until the passenger count is down to 0. Your wait in the terminal can be brief or can stretch into a long wait especially if somebody who is B2B thinks this does not apply to them and has to be located on the ship and processed through immigration in the terminal.

Cunard generally makes an announcement throughout the ship that all remaining passengers must now proceed ashore.

Several years ago I was B2B on the QM2 through Fort Lauderdale and we had about a 1/2 hr. wait. When they told us we could re-board there was a stampede back up the gangway.

If you wish not to go out in a taxi, the turnaround experience is usually quite pleasant and easy. It is quite a nice feeling to have the ship to yourselves for a while. Do plan ahead for drinkies and snacks as the bars and lounges may be closed for quite a while.

Make sure you understand when and where your lunch will be served as more than likely there will be a luncheon for passengers such as yourselves and not new passengers.

You will get plenty of instructions toward the end of your first part of the voyage.

If you wish not to go out in a taxi, the turnaround experience is usually quite pleasant and easy. It is quite a nice feeling to have the ship to yourselves for a while. Do plan ahead for drinkies and snacks as the bars and lounges may be closed for quite a while.

Make sure you understand when and where your lunch will be served as more than likely there will be a luncheon for passengers such as yourselves and not new passengers.

You will get plenty of instructions toward the end of your first part of the voyage.

Very accurate advice. In particular ASK the Maitre D' 24-48 hours in advance re lunch, stressing that you are IN TRANSIT and EXPECT to lunch in the main Dining Room on day in New York.

The daily sheet will most likely say that the dining room is closed - when in fact it is open to provide a special lunch for Travel Agents and Media people.

If you make it clear that you really do expect to eat in there, you will be allocated a table .

Since the lunch is meant to impress, the food is different to normal and very good.

BTW if you just ask your waiter you will most likely be told, "dining room is closed that day" this is because Cunard try to keep out every one except the "PR guests " if possible.

I take the view that having paid my fare, I am as important (if not more so ) than the media.

We have done three "roundtrips" in the last four years, and on the last one decided to clear customs/immigration then get straight back on board.

From leaving the ship, to getting back on board it took us approx 50 mins.

It is quite a unique experience with so few passengers being on board.

We particularly enjoyed the pool behind Todd English with the magnificent Manhatten skyscrapers in the background. We had lunch in a deserted Kings Court which was partially open.

We are going to do the same again this year (20th July - 3rd August).

Denise

We have done three "roundtrips" in the last four years, and on the last one decided to clear customs/immigration then get straight back on board.

From leaving the ship, to getting back on board it took us approx 50 mins.

It is quite a unique experience with so few passengers being on board.

We particularly enjoyed the pool behind Todd English with the magnificent Manhatten skyscrapers in the background. We had lunch in a deserted Kings Court which was partially open.

We are going to do the same again this year (20th July - 3rd August).

Denise

Will you be attending the CC meet 11 a.m July 28, in Connexions? If so will see you there

Have a wonderful trip, take care of "our "ship, until I board on 27th. I will be in 5042, inside on deck 5. Will be in Chart Room at 5.30 for my pre dinner drink, if you are around at that time look for a senior female with white hair, wearing a turquoise/white/black dress with black stole, most likely sitting alone.

Think Miss Marple crossed with Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)!!!!!!

Will you be attending the CC meet 11 a.m July 28, in Connexions? If so will see you there

Have a wonderful trip, take care of "our "ship, until I board on 27th. I will be in 5042, inside on deck 5. Will be in Chart Room at 5.30 for my pre dinner drink, if you are around at that time look for a senior female with white hair, wearing a turquoise/white/black dress with black stole, most likely sitting alone.

Think Miss Marple crossed with Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)!!!!!!

Not 100% sure about the CC meeting yet, although I do like to go to them, it's a bit early for us.

On the outward leg in addition to my hubby we've got a cousin + husband and their three children + mother-in-law, and on the way back an aunt and uncle, so it's all go.

We're on deck 8, obstructed view, midship. We are on the late sitting for dinner, and 5.30 is usually the time we are getting ready, although it would be great to meet you. I can be found with the knitters and crocheters in the mornings in the Champagne bar, I'm taking a bright red shawl that I'm halfway through. So if you're passing, please say hello.

I love your description, Maggie Smith is wonderful in Downton!!!

Not long now :)

You do realise I'm going to be casually strolling through the chart room looking to spot you now ;-)

We're undecided what to do tbh. A lot will depend on the heat which looks pretty fierce at the moment. I wouldn't mind a little retail therapy though...

You do realise I'm going to be casually strolling through the chart room looking to spot you now ;-)

We're undecided what to do tbh. A lot will depend on the heat which looks pretty fierce at the moment. I wouldn't mind a little retail therapy though...

I always use the Chart Room for my pre dinner drink, sometimes I mange to get there at around 5.15, depends how long it takes me to "put my face on". I like the music in the Chart Room, and it is closer to the dining room than the Commodore Club.

See you on board.

We have not sailed on a B2B, but we have developed a routine for disembarking in NYC. We make sure we have a carry-on (off) bag that has bathing suits, refillable water bottles and some snacks. We then head to the swimming area at the rear of the ship and hang out there for a few hours. We can hear the announcements and, after most people have left, head for the gangway. Sometimes we will walk around the ship as the cleaning crews will let you peek inside the Queen's Grill staterooms and those multi-level suites near the stern.

Clearing customs is quick as most passengers have already been processed. And we get a taxi fairly fast as the embarking passengers are starting to arrive. After a great T/A we are no hurry to leave the QM2 as we are just picking up a rental car in Brooklyn and driving the 4 hours back to Boston.

We have not sailed on a B2B, but we have developed a routine for disembarking in NYC. We make sure we have a carry-on (off) bag that has bathing suits, refillable water bottles and some snacks. We then head to the swimming area at the rear of the ship and hang out there for a few hours. We can hear the announcements and, after most people have left, head for the gangway. Sometimes we will walk around the ship as the cleaning crews will let you peek inside the Queen's Grill staterooms and those multi-level suites near the stern.

Clearing customs is quick as most passengers have already been processed. And we get a taxi fairly fast as the embarking passengers are starting to arrive. After a great T/A we are no hurry to leave the QM2 as we are just picking up a rental car in Brooklyn and driving the 4 hours back to Boston.

If you are an in transit passenger, and are held back from getting back on board, because some dis-embarking passengers have not cleared the ship. I do not think you would be very happy to read the above posting.

I know that when I was held in a cold draughty terminal sitting on a plastic chair for over an hour and a half because of inconsiderate delinquent passengers, I was really angry.

I do not think your behavior is to be applauded as "a great idea"

I read Q's post to say he joins the end of the line, letting the people who are in a hurry go first. That sounds courteous to me. I've been both last-colour-called and in-transit, with a little experience, it's not that difficult to do.

I read Q's post to say he joins the end of the line, letting the people who are in a hurry go first. That sounds courteous to me. I've been both last-colour-called and in-transit, with a little experience, it's not that difficult to do.

The OP wrote that they go to the pool, and wait until they feel like getting off, then they tour the ship, looking into Grill cabins and suites where the staff are cleaning, before finally disembarking.

The problem is, in transit passengers have to WAIT in a given area until they are called, they go through immigration with no trouble, BUT, if any other passenger has still to clear the ship, transit passengers CANNOT get back on board until that very last passenger has gone through immigration.

So the OP by hanging around the pool, for an hour or two, then checking out the Grill and Suites, not clearing immigration in a timely manner, is PREVENTING in Transit passengers from getting back on board.

Why should ALL in- transit passengers (maybe twenty or thirty in number) be kept waiting first in the "holding area" on board and then in a cold draughty, miserable terminal sitting on plastic chairs for an hour and half because OP and family want to sit at the pool, and tour various cabins they normally could not see until it suits THEIR schedule to get off ?

In-transit passengers have schedules also, and they do not want to be kept waiting in the terminal until OP and family decide they are ready to leave.

The OP wrote that they go to the pool, and wait until they feel like getting off, then they tour the ship, looking into Grill cabins and suites where the staff are cleaning, before finally disembarking.

The problem is, in transit passengers have to WAIT in a given area until they are called, they go through immigration with no trouble, BUT, if any other passenger has still to clear the ship, transit passengers CANNOT get back on board until that very last passenger has gone through immigration.

So the OP by hanging around the pool, for an hour or two, then checking out the Grill and Suites, not clearing immigration in a timely manner, is PREVENTING in Transit passengers from getting back on board.

Why should ALL in- transit passengers (maybe twenty or thirty in number) be kept waiting first in the "holding area" on board and then in a cold draughty, miserable terminal sitting on plastic chairs for an hour and half because OP and family want to sit at the pool, and tour various cabins they normally could not see until it suits THEIR schedule to get off ?

In-transit passengers have schedules also, and they do not want to be kept waiting in the terminal until OP and family decide they are ready to leave.

Perhaps they had never thought of the inconvenience they were causing other people and now they know.

Archived