No REFUND is price drops after final payment!

Called my travel agent today because the B1 Boardwalk cabin on the Allure went down. She said Royal Caribbean does not give a refund anymore after final payment. Has anyone gotten an money back or ship board credit for this?

Called my travel agent today because the B1 Boardwalk cabin on the Allure went down. She said Royal Caribbean does not give a refund anymore after final payment. Has anyone gotten an money back or ship board credit for this?

Not since they changed the rules back in May 2010.

No, but if a better category is available, you may be able to upgrade for little or no additional cost.

Wait, no credit either? I was told by 2 different RCL reps (I realize I need to be careful in what they tell me) that if it's after final pmt I would have credit on my account but would not get cash back...is this not correct? Thx!

No more OBC either

Wow, and I was just told that this year, guess I can stop checking for price drops since I've made final pmt!

Thats what I usually do since Im not interested in upgrades really :) Generally by final payment date, all accessible cabins are booked so I couldnt upgrade anyway.

It does help to keep on looking if you want an upgrade though!

By the same token they do not charge you more if the price goes up after final payment.

Odd statement, since it has never been that way.

They actually used to honour price drops after final pymnt.

Wow, and I was just told that this year, guess I can stop checking for price drops since I've made final pmt!

The key date is the published final payment date, not the date you make the final payment. We've received price drops several times after we made our final payment (I generally pay off a cruise when I have the free cash flow to do it), as long as it was prior to the published date.

What I do to get around this problem is that I book the least expensive cabin on the Date and ship I want to go on. In my experience I never seen a cruise that did not have a price drop after finale payment, this could be because of the time of year that I travel. When the price drops I move to a balcony for a few bucks. This worked for me three cruises in a row. The other part of this is that I don't mind if I stay in an inside gty cabin.

What I do to get around this problem is that I book the least expensive cabin on the Date and ship I want to go on. In my experience I never seen a cruise that did not have a price drop after finale payment, this could be because of the time of year that I travel. When the price drops I move to a balcony for a few bucks. This worked for me three cruises in a row. The other part of this is that I don't mind if I stay in an inside gty cabin.

This would not work for me. Every single cruise I have taken has seen a significant price increase after I booked it, and after final payment. I have never seen the price go down.

Odd statement, since it has never been that way.

They actually used to honour price drops after final pymnt.

Call it "silver lining". Since they no longer credit price drops after final payment at least they don't upcharge for increases. Which is likely the rationale behind no longer crediting for price drops.

Call it "silver lining". Since they no longer credit price drops after final payment at least they don't upcharge for increases. Which is likely the rationale behind no longer crediting for price drops.

Surely upcharging would be breaking the terms of the contract, so it's not even something they would consider, and is therefore completely irrelevant.

This would not work for me. Every single cruise I have taken has seen a significant price increase after I booked it, and after final payment. I have never seen the price go down.

What time of year do you travel? I can only travel in July and it works for me.

ryano, this is our first RCL cruise and first aft cabin (7708) so not interested in upgrade this time, guess I have been wasting my time. :rolleyes:

Assuming you are on a Freedom Class ship: We had that balcony in March. Do NOT give it up! I would not even take a JS.

Which ship? We were on the Independence.

I'm sure you've seen pics of 7708 on the Freedom Class, but here was ours:

DSC_5958_zpsca35d248.jpg

DSC_5959_zps4bc5099f.jpg

Which is likely the rationale behind no longer crediting for price drops.

I think the rationale was just getting in line with how the rest of the mass market lines do business.

Im not sure but I do think the only booking available in all mass market lines for price drops after final payment is Carnivals "Early Saver" program. :confused:

What time of year do you travel? I can only travel in July and it works for me.

The size of the ship makes a difference, too. I have been mostly on the ships from Baltimore. [the vision class] They have very few balconies/suites. On our repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore the suites and balconies were sold out months in advance. They few that did open up were at a premium. I noticed a JS for $1200 more than we paid.

The size of the ship makes a difference, too. I have been mostly on the ships from Baltimore. [the vision class] They have very few balconies/suites. On our repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore the suites and balconies were sold out months in advance. They few that did open up were at a premium. I noticed a JS for $1200 more than we paid.

That is what it must be. I have been on the Oasis class or Freedom class.

Surely upcharging would be breaking the terms of the contract, so it's not even something they would consider, and is therefore completely irrelevant.

I think the point was more of a hypothetical statement. In that they don't charge you extra if the price goes up so why should they give you money back if the price goes down. I'm sure they know that it has never been a policy to charge for price increases.

In that they don't charge you extra if the price goes up so why should they give you money back if the price goes down.

So many people got use to that being the norm I guess. i remember rather an uproar here back in May 2010 when the policy changed :)

You know how most people are with change. Especially when its change for the "worse" ;)

I saw a price decrease for our Explorer cruise next month about a week after final payment. I called immediately and received the credit back to my credit card. I happened to have the booking numbers for 3 other cabins in our group and got their discount also (about $1000 per cabin). I don't know if it is because I booked directly with RCI or I was lucky to get a good rep, but I'll take it!

Archived