No REFUND is price drops after final payment!

This would not work for me. Every single cruise I have taken has seen a significant price increase after I booked it, and after final payment. I have never seen the price go down.

same with us. JS are now going for over $500 more than what I paid for a GS, and the GS have been sold out for months.

I saw a price decrease for our Explorer cruise next month about a week after final payment. I called immediately and received the credit back to my credit card. I happened to have the booking numbers for 3 other cabins in our group and got their discount also (about $1000 per cabin). I don't know if it is because I booked directly with RCI or I was lucky to get a good rep, but I'll take it!

Was this after you paid final payment or after the actual final payment due date? If after final payment due date you got very, very lucky!

I saw a price decrease for our Explorer cruise next month about a week after final payment. I called immediately and received the credit back to my credit card. I happened to have the booking numbers for 3 other cabins in our group and got their discount also (about $1000 per cabin). I don't know if it is because I booked directly with RCI or I was lucky to get a good rep, but I'll take it!

You was lucky. Very lucky. Especially if it was a week after RCIs final payment date. Not when you actually paid off the cruise.

If after final payment due date you got very, very lucky!

Agreed. In fact, I wont be suprised if they have some kind of accounting system that detects this and charges it back :eek:

All this of course depending on if the OP is talking about RCIs final payment date or when she actually made her final payment.

What I do to get around this problem is that I book the least expensive cabin on the Date and ship I want to go on. In my experience I never seen a cruise that did not have a price drop after finale payment, this could be because of the time of year that I travel. When the price drops I move to a balcony for a few bucks. This worked for me three cruises in a row. The other part of this is that I don't mind if I stay in an inside gty cabin.

Wouldn't let me upgrade today (wanted to upgrade to a balcony from C1). RCI said the price quoted on their website was for new bookings only (not Tuesday specials because we don't get them over here and it's the one and only price being quoted online). I'd have to pay much more than a few bucks to upgrade (more like $750 per cabin)! Btw, we are past final payment date so I thought I'd be able to upgrade at the current RCI rate being charged on their website - wrong :mad:. Ironic thing is the cabins only became available this morning and if I'd booked in the States, it would have been done instantly.

...they don't charge you extra if the price goes up so why should they give you money back if the price goes down.......

There is a reason. Their original idea seemed to have been to encourage people to book early instead of waiting until the last minute to book in case of a price drop. Now they don't seem to worry about people booking late.

You may have made your final payment but may not have been past the final payment date. The key is the final payment date. If this is the case that was normal to get the refund. If you were past the final payment date and got the refund you were very lucky.

Wouldn't let me upgrade today (wanted to upgrade to a balcony from C1). RCI said the price quoted on their website was for new bookings only (not Tuesday specials because we don't get them over here and it's the one and only price being quoted online). I'd have to pay much more than a few bucks to upgrade (more like $750 per cabin)! Btw, we are past final payment date so I thought I'd be able to upgrade at the current RCI rate being charged on their website - wrong :mad:. Ironic thing is the cabins only became available this morning and if I'd booked in the States, it would have been done instantly.

Not to be redundant, but as I responded on your other thread, the pricing is for new bookings ONLY. Yours is NOT a new booking. Not sure what part of that is not clear.

Three weeks ago I received an upgrade from N/inside category to a K/inside plus a 120.00 refund per person to our credit cards. Called my TA about upgrading and she called RC. This is our first cruise so not sure of the rationale behind it all. Not complaining that's for sure. Our final payment date was April 1st.

Not to be redundant, but as I responded on your other thread, the pricing is for new bookings ONLY. Yours is NOT a new booking. Not sure what part of that is not clear.

I was answering to the point made by the poster. He wouldn't have been able to upgrade using 'his' method because they are not advertising a lower rate for those already booked (only for new bookings). This may be the way they are getting around the price drop upgrades - no upgrades at the new lower rate - only for new bookings and no other rates posted on the website.

So I'm unsure why you can't see my point - no price is being advertised for those that have already booked and want to upgrade. Basically, the website price can"t be used for price drops or upgrades, only new bookings ;).

When you book a cruise, you accept the price at that time just like a car rental, hotel room, plane ticket or a fuel purchase. It is not typical to call the airline or go back to the gas store and demand a refund to equal out to the current price. When we buy the cruise, we feel we are getting a fair deal or we would not be buying it. I have yet to book a cruise while thinking the price is too high and I am holding my breath for a price drop.

Archived