50 lbs luggage?

Jeffbhhs

The suitcase I took on the Freedom in May weighed 58 pounds and the suitcase DH used weighed 60 pounds. I know this because we flew in for the cruise. Nobody ever said a word. The porter just threw them in the big luggage cage and took his tip.

No we did not have to pay United for overweight baggage - in fact we could have each brought another bag up to 70 pounds on the flight. One of the benefits of First Class.

When we drive to the pier in Galveston we are more likely to bring a third suitcase so then each of our suitcases is under 50 pounds. We cross pack all the bags in case one does not show up. That way each of us still have clothes for elegant nights, bathing suits, underwear and casual clothing.

Has anyone ever seen this enforced? I just picked up a large suitcase in order to keep it simple to one suitcase and I am pretty sure I will be over 50lbs, did anyone have any issues with this?

Airlines always enforce it. Not just weight but, dimensions as well.

The suitcase I took on the Freedom in May weighed 58 pounds and the suitcase DH used weighed 60 pounds. I know this because we flew in for the cruise. Nobody ever said a word. The porter just threw them in the big luggage cage and took his tip.

No we did not have to pay United for overweight baggage - in fact we could have each brought another bag up to 70 pounds on the flight. One of the benefits of First Class.

When we drive to the pier in Galveston we are more likely to bring a third suitcase so then each of our suitcases is under 50 pounds. We cross pack all the bags in case one does not show up. That way each of us still have clothes for elegant nights, bathing suits, underwear and casual clothing.

Perfect Thanks, I know I have been over in the pasta few years ago but I wanted to be sure that it did not change:)

always difficult to keep it at 50lb with formal night clothing and snorkel stuff. we take a carry on as well, our airline always enforces the weight limit.

We're going to be flying into San Juan in a few weeks for our cruise and we've decided to pack all of our snorkel gear in one extra suitcase. We decided that paying the extra baggage fee ($25 each way) is still cheaper than renting snorkel equipment at each of our port stops.

Now, we'll be out of luck if the airline loses that suitcase!

We were 3ozs over and the Airline was going to charge us -- moved a towel from one bag to the other to fix it.

Wow, what airline was that?

I think it depends on the agent - a few years ago with American I was traveling to the cold, and my bag weighed in at 53 pounds. I was ready to take out my big winter coat and lug it on the plane with me, but the agent tagged my bag and never said anything.

Airlines pretty much all charge it if you don't have status and even then if you're at the max number of bags. I've been able to go over with American Airlines but they ignore it when they see I'm not at my 2 bag minimum. I have never seen them weigh my bag on a cruise, so I would say you're okay.

On a side note I watched a person last December taking clothes out of their checked bag and layering it on to avoid the fee. Looked like the kid from "Christmas Story".

I bought one of those hand held baggage scales from Walmart and weigh each suitcase after we pack for each trip. If it goes over that weight limit, then something has to be taken out and left at home.

It seems to be accurate. I've never gone over the weight allowance since we began using it.

My suitcase almost always weighs over the 50lb limit. I always get charged extra at the airport & typically get the "overweight" or "heavy" sticker put on it. I've never had a problem with the overweight luggage being accepted by the porters at the cruise terminal. I typically tip a few extra dollars when it's overweight.

Only seen it enforced at the airports. We have a luggage scale we use in order to keep us under, but sometimes it may be just "off" by one to two pounds according to the scale at the skycap station at the airport. When we pack, we place easily transferable items on top, and place them in another bag that we know is under weight, or throw the item in the laptop or camera bag. The skycaps will usually wait and see if you have a tip in your hand before pushing/enforcing the overweight limit. They would rather have a few extra bucks in their pockets than their employer, and for the traveler its much cheaper!!!

Has anyone ever seen this enforced? I just picked up a large suitcase in order to keep it simple to one suitcase and I am pretty sure I will be over 50lbs, did anyone have any issues with this?

Luggage Information

• Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest.
  • Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and should not exceed 16"H x 24"W (40.64cm x 60.96cm); there are no length restrictions. This is printed on the eDoc bag tags as well.

· If traveling by air, each airline has its own restrictions on the maximum size, weight and the number of suitcases allowed per person.

· In order to offset high fuel costs, some airlines are charging fees for the 2nd suitcase checked; some airlines are charging for the 1st suitcase checked as well.

· The guest is responsible for contacting the airline to learn about the restrictions and policies for that airline.

• We suggest that all checked luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.
  • For those guests who wish to carry-on their luggage, it cannot exceed 16"H x 24"W (40.64cm x 60.96cm); there are no length restrictions; anything larger must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

Archived