Shore Excursion Price Increases closer to the cruise

capsoncc

I noticed today when I went to book some shore excursions for my August 16th cruise they the prices have drastically gone up. e.g. I was trying to book Path of the Trolls which in the brochure was 131.50 per person, now it is more then $180 per person. That is quite the price jump, especially since excursions from the Cruise line are generally a lot more expensive then booking private. I am wondering if Celebrity is doing this because a lot of promotions appear to offer OBC, so they increase the prices drastically before a cruise since they know some people might be waiting until they get onboard to book them, therefore they recoup some of their costs from offering OBC.

I have never seen this when I cruised previously. Have others experienced this? My assumption would have been since these were published prices they would have stayed the same no matter then I booked them.

My understanding is that excursion prices depend on the actual sailing date. So prices may be higher or lower for your specific cruise. Also, prices may depend on the specific

currency exchange rate. So the price may change with the rate, as prices are quoted in dollars but the vendors are paid in local currency. Obviously this doesn't apply in places like the Caribbean where dollars are accepted.

capsoncc, I experienced the exact same thing, with the exact same excursion only difference was that I purchased mine before the price went up for fear that it was going to sell out. I too was shocked:eek: From now on I will buy all of my excursions right away, and if prices remain the same cancel and rebook onboard to use OBC.

BTW, that excursion was Excellent with a capital E. So what are you going to do, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by zales

I noticed today when I went to book some shore excursions for my August 16th cruise they the prices have drastically gone up. e.g. I was trying to book Path of the Trolls which in the brochure was 131.50 per person, now it is more then $180 per person. That is quite the price jump, especially since excursions from the Cruise line are generally a lot more expensive then booking private. I am wondering if Celebrity is doing this because a lot of promotions appear to offer OBC, so they increase the prices drastically before a cruise since they know some people might be waiting until they get onboard to book them, therefore they recoup some of their costs from offering OBC.

I have never seen this when I cruised previously. Have others experienced this? My assumption would have been since these were published prices they would have stayed the same no matter then I booked them.

The excursions may change price depending on local factors, this means that they will never go down ,only up due to availability and demand.:D

capsoncc, I experienced the exact same thing, with the exact same excursion only difference was that I purchased mine before the price went up for fear that it was going to sell out. I too was shocked:eek: From now on I will buy all of my excursions right away, and if prices remain the same cancel and rebook onboard to use OBC.

BTW, that excursion was Excellent with a capital E. So what are you going to do, if you don't mind me asking?

I have been looking around for a private excursion, paying $135 for our 4 year old soon seems to be a lot.

Was that price in USD or CAD? It wouldn't be exchange rates that have varied that much, but that will cause changes in price.

The price is in CAD, although our dollar has dropped a bit lately it has only changed by a couple cents. I expect fluctuations because of exchange rates, but not close to a 40% increase.

I was a bit surprised myself, so checked the details and was interested to see they use the magic "From" in regards to pricing. So even though the price they say is $139 USD, it's actually "From 139".

I haven't seen it before, so don't know if it's recent, but it does support that it is demand based. Still seems a funny thing to do for shore excursions.

I have been looking around for a private excursion, paying $135 for our 4 year old soon seems to be a lot.[/quote

Yes that is a lot for a 4 year old. I wish I could be of more help. Good Luck.

Edited by zales

I have my first X cruise booked for November. From reading your comments here, and I to believe that one's onboard credits cannot be used for excursions?

Since I have only sailed on Princess and HAL, I was surprised to hear that their use on X is limited. What other items mght they not be used for?

After booking I found that the shareholder credit does not apply (I used the 123 GO promotion), no military credit, and I've read somewhere on CC that future cruise credits are severely limited.

Oh well.. (say la v)

I have my first X cruise booked for November. From reading your comments here, and I to believe that one's onboard credits cannot be used for excursions?

Since I have only sailed on Princess and HAL, I was surprised to hear that their use on X is limited. What other items mght they not be used for?

After booking I found that the shareholder credit does not apply (I used the 123 GO promotion), no military credit, and I've read somewhere on CC that future cruise credits are severely limited.

Oh well.. (say la v)

Yes, you can use OBC for excursions if you booked the excursions on board. Celebrity requires us to pay for excursions when booked.

Yes, the 123 promo could not be combined with other special deals. In my case the 123 prom was the best deal.

Yes, FCCs are restrictive.

Enjoy your cruise.

Oh well.. (say la v)

I just came off of Infinity last week and was able to use OBC for excursions.

I have been looking around for a private excursion, paying $135 for our 4 year old soon seems to be a lot.[/quote

Yes that is a lot for a 4 year old. I wish I could be of more help. Good Luck.

Is it any wonder that so many people do their own thing when some excursions are so expensive.:D

Yes, you can use OBC for excursions if you booked the excursions on board. Celebrity requires us to pay for excursions when booked.

Yes, the 123 promo could not be combined with other special deals. In my case the 123 prom was the best deal.

Yes, FCCs are restrictive.

Enjoy your cruise.

The problem with that is if there is a really popular excursion, they may not be available anymore once you are onboard:D

Edited by MicCanberra

That is certainly true.

If there is no excursions that you want to do, you can wait until you go ashore, there are nearly always people touting for business to do their tours. You can pick then ,but won't be able to use your OBC for it.:D

• 6 months later...

Just a new post - a friend and I am doing 3 cruises back to back in April/May. I booked and paid for some excursions last week on the 2nd Feb. Went to do some more today (the 11th) and the prices had gone up again. One went up almost $25 AUD. That can't be from our exchange rate!

How can they do that?

I've just checked ours and the price has gone down for 2 of the excursions, luckily not booked yet. They've not reduced by much but am glad it's the right direction.

Although they have just put a new excursion on which sounded great fun, salmon snorkelling but then saw the price of £365 each (children same price) and nearly fell off my seat, sounds a great excursion but couldn't believe the price and can't justify that.

prices usually fluctuate but not that drastically.. usually year to year or season to season...good to know.

I'd be happy if i could get into the excursion section to look through what is offered. and book some..it is impossible to work with! (I started a thread about that)