Grand Princess dry dock Dec 2013

duck addict

Well if the Dry dock is in Canada then it is really only a 6 day dry dock since it will take 2 days up and 2 days back. That will cut into the work time. However, I am sure the crew will be working up and back.

If you look at the Port Schedule the trip up and back to SF is only one day each way. Arrives in Victoria on December 11th at 11 am and arrives in SF at 7 am on the 20th of December which means 8 days in dry dock.

Tom:)

Here's the port schedule:

Grand PrincessTue10-Dec-137:00 AMEnsenadaTue10-Dec-1311:00 AMVictoriaPier 35 South

Grand Prince Fri20-Dec-137:00 AMVictoriaFri20-Dec-134:00 PMHiloPier 35 South

Here's the port schedule so you can see when it leaves and arrives in Victoria and when it arrives in San Francisco.

I was at Pier 70 (Drydock location) in San Francisco yesterday. The facility is not capable of major rapid vessel renovation/remodeling, and is really utilized for modest hull, propulsion, and relatively simple repairs, cosmetic changes ( carpeting, painting, furniture, light fixtures, etc.). The major work associated with a plumbing overhaul, which often discovers unanticipated repairs, etc. cannot be done in a 10 day limit, although much can be surveyed then so that when the big project occurs, the replacement parts, etc. will be ready. This project on this ship should have been done over a year ago, but management has delayed the major drydock to increase the possible revenue from the ship.

I was at Pier 70 (Drydock location) in San Francisco yesterday. The facility is not capable of major rapid vessel renovation/remodeling, and is really utilized for modest hull, propulsion, and relatively simple repairs, cosmetic changes ( carpeting, painting, furniture, light fixtures, etc.). The major work associated with a plumbing overhaul, which often discovers unanticipated repairs, etc. cannot be done in a 10 day limit, although much can be surveyed then so that when the big project occurs, the replacement parts, etc. will be ready. This project on this ship should have been done over a year ago, but management has delayed the major drydock to increase the possible revenue from the ship.

Stan1:

Just curious where did you read or hear about a need for a plumbing overhaul? I've been on the Grand 4 times this year and never heard staff discuss anything about a plumbing overhaul when I asked questions.

• 2 months later...

The Grand Princess is currently undergoing a refit in Drydock at Victoria B.C. Canada. She came in last Thursday Dec.12th 2013 and is apparently here for 10 days. Ther are approximately 1200 tradespeople woking on her plus a crew of 800 still on board. I went down to take a look on Saturday and it was a hive of activity. Appears that all staterooms getting a big overhaul/refurbishment. All lifeboats removed and launching mechanisms being srviced. Also pollution upgrades to engine emissions being made. Sulphur scrubbers being installed. Exterior painting going on as well. Looks as though she will be as good as new when she heads back south..

Interesting to see and hear the activity of all of these workers on the ship.

The Grand is apparently scheduled for a 10 day +/- dry dock in Ensenada. Any ideas of what will done? Last dry dock was 2011.

She is Curently in Drydock in Victoria B.C Canada. Went down last saturday to take alook at whats going on. About 1200 workers currently on board as well as 800 crew. A real hive of activity. Appears to be major upgaes to staterooms. Servicing all lifeboats and launching mechanisms. Exterior painting. Etc. Etc. New sulphur scubbers to reduce engine emissions. Amazing to see all of the actiity going on. 1200 people working 24/7 can get alot done.

The Grand Princess is currently undergoing a refit in Drydock at Victoria B.C. Canada. She came in last Thursday Dec.12th 2013 and is apparently here for 10 days. Ther are approximately 1200 tradespeople woking on her plus a crew of 800 still on board. I went down to take a look on Saturday and it was a hive of activity. Appears that all staterooms getting a big overhaul/refurbishment. All lifeboats removed and launching mechanisms being srviced. Also pollution upgrades to engine emissions being made. Sulphur scrubbers being installed. Exterior painting going on as well. Looks as though she will be as good as new when she heads back south..

Interesting to see and hear the activity of all of these workers on the ship.

It's rare that there are cabin refurbishments during dry docks...it will be interesting to see what's been done. I was on a cruise in late September and our stateroom carpet was replaced in the middle of the cruise. And of course there is the famous question of what's going to happen with those balcony mats!!

..... or maybe some surcharge dining in the Horizon Ct. like they have on the Royal.

There's no "surcharge dining" in the Horizon Court on the Royal Princess. All items are included, same as other ships. Same with the Horizon Bistro, even though early info suggested otherwise. We ate several times in both.

There's no "surcharge dining" in the Horizon Court on the Royal Princess. All items are included, same as other ships. Same with the Horizon Bistro, even though early info suggested otherwise. We ate several times in both.

I think they were referring to the Crab Shack and Fondues which has a $20 surcharge.

It's rare that there are cabin refurbishments during dry docks...it will be interesting to see what's been done. I was on a cruise in late September and our stateroom carpet was replaced in the middle of the cruise. And of course there is the famous question of what's going to happen with those balcony mats!!
I agree. Such a short dry dock means that it's routine maintenance. "Refurbishment" is usually done on an ongoing basis while the ship is in service, such as TVs, mattresses, carpet replacement, painting, etc. Rarely done during a dry dock.

Is Princess doing anything "official" with this dry dock like a photo blog, or video journal or even officially saying what the dry dock is encompassing? Seems like when the Grand did her "big" dry dock a couple years ago (when they removed skywalkers) and when the Sapphire did it's big refurbishment two years ago in Canada, there were a bunch of things posted that seemed official from Princess. It doesn't appear anything like this is happening this time around, just speculation on cruise critic.

Is Princess doing anything "official" with this dry dock like a photo blog, or video journal or even officially saying what the dry dock is encompassing? Seems like when the Grand did her "big" dry dock a couple years ago (when they removed skywalkers) and when the Sapphire did it's big refurbishment two years ago in Canada, there were a bunch of things posted that seemed official from Princess. It doesn't appear anything like this is happening this time around, just speculation on cruise critic.
Those involved reconstruction and new features/amenities, and the dry docks were weeks long. With the Grand, nothing more exciting or sexy than showing paint scraping, priming, and re-painting the hull, cleaning the thrusters of ooey gooey crustations and parasites, checking the engines, checking and polishing the propellers, installing electronics, etc. Bet it would be a YouTube sensation. :)

I found this media release on Google it gives a little insight as to what the Grand is having done

http://gvha.v3.ca/uploaded/gvha%20-%...o%20region.pdf

in the middle of the the article is this statement:

The Grand Princess is currently in drydock at the shipyard for a refit involving ship's underwater gear,

including propellers, thrusters, etc. as well as hull painting. The ship will also be re -floored, the

ventilation ducts cleaned and marine glass replaced.

Guess we will know for sure what was done in a few days!:)

We just got off Grand and it seemed to have the most operating elevators of any of our Princess cruises. We had a wonderful cruise with no complaints.

As did we. Went to HI on Oct 26 for the 15 day - really no issues at all except for routine maintenance (which any boat requires).

We like the Grand...

• 2 weeks later...

Any updated info on what really happened that might affect passenger areas?

I've read lots of different posts here stating everything from only non-passenger area work to new carpeting to new balcony pads. Any real info? The dry dock should be finished by now...

All speculation on my part ...Expect they are also thinking about adding revenue producing items for example, cabanas or maybe some surcharge dining in the Horizon Ct. like they have on the Royal.
Just curious what/how they surcharge?

Just curious what/how they surcharge?

On some nights the Royal's buffet area offers a $20/pp Crab Shack or Fondues dinner. I wasn't interested in either one however some posted enjoying the Crab Shack. Most dining options are free & it doesn't bother me if there are a few fee based options that some enjoy.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Royal-Princess-Offers-Dining-Options-for-Every-Craving.html#.UsSquXi9Kc1

Edited by Astro Flyer