visiting pompei and sorento by train

world_trekker1

We will visit napoli with our cruise on 12 august and we are planing to visit napoli and sorento with the train.

Does anyone knows if its possible to do it during 1 day stop/worth to do it or it should be better to take a shore excersion organised from our ship?

Thank in advance for your help

Our first time off the ship in Naples we took the train to Pompei (got on the 7:30 or 8 am train, can't remember exact time and did a tour of Pompeii - we got there right around opening time - 9am. We met several people on the train and we formed a 10 person "group." The guide will charge around 100 euros and everyone paid 10 euros each - a bargain. The tour lasted about 2 hours or so and we took the train from Pompeii to Sorrento around noon. We had lunch and shopped around Sorrento then took the afternoon boat back to Naples (around 4pm). The shuttle boats are right at next to where our ship was docked.

It was an easy day - if you do a search on these boards you can get more info on how to get to the train station, etc. Sorry, I am not that good with exact directions, but many on this board are experts.

Pompeii to Sorrento by train - ferry from Sorrento back to port - very easy and great day.

Exiting the cruise terminal in Naples, walk out to the main road. Cross the road to the kiosk. Buy the return ticket to Sorrento. The tram stop is right next to the kiosk in the middle of the street. It is the beginning/end of the line, so it only goes one way. I think it is 6 stops to the train station. Look for the Circumvesuvius train. I think it leaves every 30 minutes. Pompeii is 20 or 30 minute ride. You will want the Pompeii Scavi (Ruins) station. After touring board the next train and continue to Sorrento. Return on the same train to Naples and then the tram to the terminal.

Paul929207 - I knew someone would have more specific instructions:)

However taking the train back to Naples from Sorrento will take longer (one of the European gurus can tell you exactly how long). The ferry from Sorrento to the port is much faster - no need to purchase a return on the train. Buy your train ticket to Pompeii Scavi (?) and your Sorrento ticket from Pompeii to Sorrento at Pompeii (the station is not busy). Then buy your ferry/hydrofoil ticket at the port in Sorrento.

I agree, 1/2 of our group did that exactly (train to Pompeii and Sorrento and then hydrofoil back to Naples) and had a great afternoon. Just make sure you get to Pompeii early. When we were there the lines got long around 10AM. We got there at 8:30 and walked right in.

If you left early enough you and had enough time in port you would probably have enough time to do the train both ways, but the ferry looked so much nicer!

Here's my review of what we did, you could easily just stay on the train and get off at Pompeii.

Just wanted to report on our DIY day in Naples a few weeks ago now. We had heard that the bus to Herculaneum was no longer running, which was my #1 option. But right at the port entrance we were able to buy a combo tram/train ticket for I believe euro 2.90 each. Walked to the middle of the road and hopped on just as the tram was leaving. The only tricky part was figuring out where to get off--I happened to see a small sign that said Circumvesuviana and we jumped off at the last second. I believe it was the first stop after the tram turns left and goes up the hill.

Got on the train and weirdly ran into my daughter who was headed to Pompeii! The ride to Ercolano takes about 20 minutes IIRC. When we got off we had no idea which way to go, but I recalled a post where somebody said to head downhill, so we did, and after 10 minutes or so we arrived at the entrance. I LOVED Ercolano--to me it was much more interesting and intact than Pompeii, and I loved being able to actually walk into and around the houses rather than just peering in through grates. We did rent the audioguides (E. 10 for 2) which helped a lot. We spent 2+ hours wandering about and really enjoyed it. Very uncrowded as well.

To save our tootsies, we took a cab/bus back up to the train station (I have a slowly recovering broken foot to deal with). We had asked the girl who sold us the train tix about going to Sorrento and she told us it was about half an hour beyond Ercolano, so we decided to go for it. To my dismay, it was 24 stops down the road!!! Took over an hour. But so worth it when we got there.

We wandered around this beautiful town, had a great lunch, shopped, took photos, just loved it there. I'd move tomorrow if I could figure out a way to support myself! But to avoid the long train ride back, we hopped on to the ferry for E. 9/pp, which took about 45 minutes, and dropped us right at the port next to our ship! Ended up being a great day, minimal cost, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. There's really no need to spend hundreds of dollars in this port to see and do a lot!

A couple of points. The Circumvesuviana Train that runs every 30 minutes takes 1:05 between Naples and Sorrento (its about 20-25 min from Naples to the Pompeii Scavi Station). Although there is a lot to say in favor of the hydrofoil between Sorrento and Naples (Molo Beverallo) one should factor-in that this boat does not run nearly as frequently as the train. One should also consider that the jetboat/hydrofoil costs more money then the train. On the other hand, that jetboat/hydrofoil will dock right next to the cruise port (as long as its going to Molo Beverello) which is more convenient then the Naples train station.

Since the train is a commuter-type train with no reservations, there is really no reason to decide how to get back to Naples until you are actually there! If the jetboat/hydrofoil happens to fit your schedule then you can simply buy a ticket and take the boat. If you decide to grab the train you simply go to the station and take the next train.

To further clarify, the Circumvesuviana Line train that runs between Naples and Sorrento also has quite a few other stops including Pompeii Scavi (the best stop for the ruins of Pompeii) and Ercolano (the stop for the ruins at Herculanium).

Hank

I'd certainly advise a circular trip, by ferry & train. Much more enjoyable than a simple out-and-back by train.

But there are pros & cons about which way round.

Pompeii is certainly a lot warmer later in the day, & a number of folk reckon it busier. And many shops in Sorrento will be closed afternoons.

But your flexibility & your wiggle-time are much better the other way round - ferry from ship to Sorrento, train to Pompeii (or Herculaneum), train back to Naples.

Sorrento may be pretty, but it's quite limited & you may regret having left Pompeii too early.

Ferry frequency is limited, & I always avoid taking the last possible ferry back to a ship in case of a problem such as weather or mechanical problems. Trains run every 30 minutes, 7 days per week, so you can gauge your wiggle-time much more easily, no need to worry about timetables.

So I'd take the ferry to Sorrento first.

But others will probably disagree. :p

JB :)

We consider to book a full day excersion from our cruise ship but from the description provide it on their web site seems to be quite rush.

So we decided to go by our own,first to sorento by fast ferry from napoli and then to pompei-napoli by train.

Having done it a few times my first tip is don't walk to garibaldi station, it can take an hour. A cab is approx 15 euro and the tram is the cheapest.

The fair to sorrento was only 8 euro return each - a bargain

There is between 13 and 21 stops on the train and it takes just over an hour - sit near the front near the driver.

Pompei gets really hot in the afternoon, take water with you. I would do Pompei first and possibly take the train or ferry back - the ferry docks next to the cruise ships.

If you are doing this area or other parts of the Med on your own, be sure to get a good guide book.

Last year, we used Rick Steves's book Med Cruise Ports. It was a huge help. It has specific directions to get places and also self guided walking tours of many sites.

If you are doing this area or other parts of the Med on your own, be sure to get a good guide book.

Last year, we used Rick Steves's book Med Cruise Ports. It was a huge help. It has specific directions to get places and also self guided walking tours of many sites.

Thanks very much for your advice:)

I should have added a warning about Sorrento (one of our least favorite places on the coast). Much of this town closes down in the afternoon (about 1:30) for the daily "siesta" and does not reopen until about 4. So if you want to shop in some of the decent stores (as opposed to the touristy places that may stay open all day) you should plan to visit Sorrento in mid to late morning.

Hank

Having done it a few times my first tip is don't walk to garibaldi station, it can take an hour. A cab is approx 15 euro and the tram is the cheapest.

We took a bus from the cruise pier to the train station in the am and then took the tram back to the pier on our way back. The tram is prime working grounds for pickpockets so be watchful. This is especially true after you have been out for the day and tired, easy to let your guard down.

We walked from the port to the train station and I don't remember it taking more than 20 minutes, I am confused about an hour?? Traffic was so busy around the port that we decided to just walk it instead of waiting around for a bus. We did get to Pompeii early when they opened and had no line - got 10 people together and took off with the guide. Morning really is the best time to see the ruins.

For our part we stayed in the touristy area of Sorrento, had a nice lunch and just walked around the tourist shops in the old part of town. Then walked down to catch the ferry (quite a walk for someone really out of shape). It was October so the last ferry was around 4:20 I believe. The cost is not that expensive - less than 15-20 euros one way and the views were much nicer than the train. We sat eating gelato waiting for the ferry to start boarding. Views were beautiful.

There are many posts on train and ferry schedules - you should have no problem doing this yourself.

We walked from the port to the train station and I don't remember it taking more than 20 minutes, I am confused about an hour?? Traffic was so busy around the port that we decided to just walk it instead of waiting around for a bus.

You are correct dalgirl. The walk to Porta Nolana (which is closer to the cruise terminal and is the terminus for Circumvesuviana) is about 20 minutes. The previous posts suggested that you do not walk to Garibaldi station. There would be no need to go to Garibaldi ... Porta Nolana is the station DIY cruisers want. :)

After purchasing the train ticket, catch the tram in the middle of the street that runs along the port (via Cristoforo Colombo).

Get off at the first stop after the tram turns left. For orientation and to see what Porta Nolana looks like, one can use the street view of google maps (it even shows the news stand, across the street from Castel Nuovo, where we purchased our Unicocampania tickets).

You are correct dalgirl. The walk to Porta Nolana (which is closer to the cruise terminal and is the terminus for Circumvesuviana) is about 20 minutes. The previous posts suggested that you do not walk to Garibaldi station. There would be no need to go to Garibaldi ... Porta Nolana is the station DIY cruisers want. :)

After purchasing the train ticket, catch the tram in the middle of the street that runs along the port (via Cristoforo Colombo).

Get off at the first stop after the tram turns left. For orientation and to see what Porta Nolana looks like, one can use the street view of google maps (it even shows the news stand, across the street from Castel Nuovo, where we purchased our Unicocampania tickets).

Thank goodness, I thought I was having another senior moment:p

DW and I have made the walk to Garibaldi Station (several times) in less then 30 minutes...and we are Seniors and DW had a bad knee. For the Circumvesuviana Line it does make more sense to walk to the closer Porta Nolana Station (as posted above). There is also a tram line that starts its run right in the middle of the street outside the port and can take you to either station.

Hank

Archived