Carnival cancels my Glory cruise because of "corrupt booking"

skatermom91

They must really be mixed up, because you said they added your daughter for $299, the 3rd person in a cabin is never the same as the first 2, always lower.

Have you booked a cruise on your own through Carnival's website recently? It asks how many people are sailing. It then shows the price per person, whether 2 people, 3 people, etc.

On a cruise I was just checking, it showed base price of $309 ea for 2, $279 ea for 3.

They must really be mixed up, because you said they added your daughter for $299, the 3rd person in a cabin is never the same as the first 2, always lower.

Sometimes 3rd/4th rates are higher during high demand times!! We found this out the hard way! 4th person rate was almost $200 higher than 1st person rate. Called CCl to get this verified, they said it was correct due to it being Summer, high demand!

you could try appealing to a travel magazine, they have people who write articles (or travel sections of MSNBC, Fox, etc) and assist people with travel issues, and ususally get very good results.

I recommend you contact Christopher Elliott, a travel consumer advocate who writes for National Geographic Traveler magazine and the Washington Post. While I have not had to have him mediate a travel problem for me, he has answered travel consumer questions for me in a very timely manner.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10912488/ns/travel/t/christopher-elliott/#.Ufkp5pK1FIF

back in March I booked the Carnival Glory Nov 10th sailing for my husband and myself, also booked faster to the fun..Two months ago I changed to the military rate 299pp porthole room...same booking number etc...A month later I make a payment, everything is as it should be. Today I call Carnival to inquire what the rate would be if I added my daughter, knowing I would have to change rooms(just an inquiry at this point) While I was on the line the customer service agent said oh, theres a problem with this booking let me get a manager to fix it. never telling me what the problem was but getting back to me and saying all is ok. I check my booking online and it is just as it has been. Tonight I get cancellation because the booking is corrupt according to the customer service rep and now they have me in an oceanview for double the price ( I never asked for an oceanview) They cant help me tonight because they need the techs to fix it and they only work business hours...Why do I have the feeling something good is not about to happen?? What should I do???

original reservation 299/pp inside.....added daughter yesterday, they moved to oceanview lowest level/front for same price (plus her 299)....had reservation with category, room number, price and guests (3) names on it....Half hour later upon checking me email, theres a cancellation from carnival for entire booking...I call back and they told me it was their mistake, it should have been more, I have a copy of the reservation with these prices on it (no call from them just cancelled cruise I booked in March) They were having a problem transferring FTTF so they tell me they will get back to me...next thing I know I receive a booking at 459/pp, same oceanview room but with my daughter not on it, I call back and they tell me they can't downgrade the reservation, they just kept messing things up further and nobody could fix it...what a crazy mess,

I guess I'm just as confused as Carnival. You said you didn't change the res in the first post but then you said you did change it and that the 3rd person price was the same as #1 & #2. Wonder if that was because it was military? And that you originally were in a PH cabin. Was that a true PH cabin or a 1A with portholes, which would necessitate a cabin change?

I'm just lost. Maybe the customer service rep was as confused as I am. :confused:

Yes, system errors happen. If they "had" to move you to a different category cabin because you wanted 3 in there and the price was incorrect, they do not have to honor it!

If I do a mock booking right now for 3 people in an inside, the avg price per person is $282.34. Why not just cancel the whole thing and start over? You aren't even in the penalty phase.

I recommend you contact Christopher Elliott, a travel consumer advocate who writes for National Geographic Traveler magazine and the Washington Post. While I have not had to have him mediate a travel problem for me, he has answered travel consumer questions for me in a very timely manner.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10912488/ns/travel/t/christopher-elliott/#.Ufkp5pK1FIF

Chris is really good. He gets results, and most travel problems he can get resolved. Good Luck -

Why is always the fault of the cruise line??? I don't think we are getting all of the information here to help correct the problem. Yes Carnival makes mistakes. Everyone does. If so many of you don't like Carnival than cruise any other cruise line.

Now if the OP could give us all of the facts we could help. Did you have military proof??? Did you have a room that was for 3??? Was the new room the same rating as your first room or did it move you up to a better cabin???

I need all the facts to understand where Carnival made a mistake.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader...I use many cruise lines. If Carnival made a mistake than you need all the correct facts to get a correct result.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Relax and enjoy life.

Why is always the fault of the cruise line??? I don't think we are getting all of the information here to help correct the problem. Yes Carnival makes mistakes. Everyone does. If so many of you don't like Carnival than cruise any other cruise line.

Now if the OP could give us all of the facts we could help. Did you have military proof??? Did you have a room that was for 3??? Was the new room the same rating as your first room or did it move you up to a better cabin???

I need all the facts to understand where Carnival made a mistake.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader...I use many cruise lines. If Carnival made a mistake than you need all the correct facts to get a correct result.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Relax and enjoy life.

That's a good idea. I think I will.

Bill

Have you booked a cruise on your own through Carnival's website recently? It asks how many people are sailing. It then shows the price per person, whether 2 people, 3 people, etc.

On a cruise I was just checking, it showed base price of $309 ea for 2, $279 ea for 3.

No I have never booked a cruise using the Carnival Web site, always call my PVP. Now I have gone into fare finder and put in for 3, subtracted the price we have for 2 and the difference comes out to $199, same cat. So for me that means the 3rd person cost is $199, all depends how you read it.

I have a confirmation from Carnival for Ocanview stateroom 2223 for three people rate is 299/299/179 total 777.00 (1,102.83 with taxes)...this is the rate they honored but moved us to an inside because they said the confirmed rate for THAT room was a mistake on their part. This move was made by Carnival upon my request to add the third person...If I knew exactly how to post my confirmation with blocking out the names, I would gladly show you all so you can see I have a confirmation...this is reservation they cancelled upon realizing they gave me the wrong rate...(they said they mistakenly gave me an inside rate for an oceanview room).what they did next is to cancel this reservation and keep two of us in the room (dropping my daughter from the reservation) no phone call, nothing but a cancellation and a rebooking email...the rebooking for the two of us was at a higher rate 400plus pp. so when I called them they couldn't downgrade the reservation because of this price and the whole thing was just a mess...end result they honored the price but in an inside room, I just think if you have a confirmation with a room category and number thats what you have but the bigger issue is the 6 hours I spent on the phone over the 2 days it took them to reslove the issue because nobody there could seem to downgrade the reservation, the frustration of dealing with them is far worse than the end result of an inside room, it shouldnt be so hard to do such a simple thing!

OK, that helps. Me at least! It just really sounds like it was messed up, probably by the antiquated computer system, and that they put you in a OV room when you added the person but did so at the interior price, which is what caused the error.

Everything after that just seems like a total breakdown.

I know if something like that had happened with me, my PVP would've called me immediately. When I booked my next cruise we were already within final payment but he mistakenly just entered a deposit amount. When it kicked back out, he immediately called me and told me it was his error and we needed to re-do the payment so the system wouldn't cancel the res.

Sorry this happened to you. I'd be extremely frustrated as well. It probably wouldn't stop me from cruising Carnival again, though. I already price all sorts of other options but keep coming back because I think it's such a great value for my vacation dollars.

I hope you go and have a wonderful time with your family and friends anyway!

• 4 weeks later...

thank you all for your comments and suggestions....after writing to Gerry Cahill and them researching this issue, I had a phone call this AM from his assistant... I am now in the oceanview stateroom for the original price quoted me! Carnival has done the right thing,just need to be persistent if you know your'e right!

I have a confirmation from Carnival for Ocanview stateroom 2223 for three people rate is 299/299/179 total 777.00 (1,102.83 with taxes)...this is the rate they honored but moved us to an inside because they said the confirmed rate for THAT room was a mistake on their part. This move was made by Carnival upon my request to add the third person...If I knew exactly how to post my confirmation with blocking out the names, I would gladly show you all so you can see I have a confirmation...this is reservation they cancelled upon realizing they gave me the wrong rate...(they said they mistakenly gave me an inside rate for an oceanview room).what they did next is to cancel this reservation and keep two of us in the room (dropping my daughter from the reservation) no phone call, nothing but a cancellation and a rebooking email...the rebooking for the two of us was at a higher rate 400plus pp. so when I called them they couldn't downgrade the reservation because of this price and the whole thing was just a mess...end result they honored the price but in an inside room, I just think if you have a confirmation with a room category and number thats what you have but the bigger issue is the 6 hours I spent on the phone over the 2 days it took them to reslove the issue because nobody there could seem to downgrade the reservation, the frustration of dealing with them is far worse than the end result of an inside room, it shouldnt be so hard to do such a simple thing!

Star1 seems to think its simple, "If Carnival made a mistake than you need all the correct facts to get a correct result".

thank you all for your comments and suggestions....after writing to Gerry Cahill and them researching this issue, I had a phone call this AM from his assistant... I am now in the oceanview stateroom for the original price quoted me! Carnival has done the right thing,just need to be persistent if you know your'e right!

That is great! Carnival has always done well by me and I hope that they continue to improve customer service for everyone. Happy cruising!

And THIS is precisely why I never book direct with Carnival! :)

I use a local cruise consultant, dealing face to face with people I know personally!

They are the ones who battle this nonsense on my behalf..

and I never even know it's happened!

Isn't that nice? ;)

I sure hate to hear anyone having issues but I do have to agree with Aplmac. I use a TA for this exact reason. If I have a problem she handles it.

That has been happening all over there bookings. The 50% deposit goes to 100% if you make any changes to the booking. But it never prompts you to pay the remainder of the deposit. Then it cancels 7 days later. Noit just on your cruise but with all

Congratulations....hope you have a great time...WTG Carnival!

That has been happening all over there bookings. The 50% deposit goes to 100% if you make any changes to the booking. But it never prompts you to pay the remainder of the deposit. Then it cancels 7 days later. Noit just on your cruise but with all

Yup - it is happening left and right. I am happy to say that CCL did right by us as well - others have not fared as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived