Carnival cancels my Glory cruise because of "corrupt booking"

skatermom91

back in March I booked the Carnival Glory Nov 10th sailing for my husband and myself, also booked faster to the fun..Two months ago I changed to the military rate 299pp porthole room...same booking number etc...A month later I make a payment, everything is as it should be. Today I call Carnival to inquire what the rate would be if I added my daughter, knowing I would have to change rooms(just an inquiry at this point) While I was on the line the customer service agent said oh, theres a problem with this booking let me get a manager to fix it. never telling me what the problem was but getting back to me and saying all is ok. I check my booking online and it is just as it has been. Tonight I get cancellation because the booking is corrupt according to the customer service rep and now they have me in an oceanview for double the price ( I never asked for an oceanview) They cant help me tonight because they need the techs to fix it and they only work business hours...Why do I have the feeling something good is not about to happen?? What should I do???

Ive never heard of a corrupt booking.. I would for sure get a supervisor on the line tomorrow and be calling the dept who fixes problems if I didnt get some satisfaction.

Did they tell you what that term means? What was wrong with your booking?

Sounds like a problem with the database in their booking system. Corrupt is a pretty standard Information systems term, as is corrupt record or corrupt database.

It is probably a corrupt record in their booking database.

I know it's tough (I'd be an anxious mess in your situation) but give them the benefit of the doubt first and the opportunity to fix it tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then you can go through the chain of command with supervisors and such. But there's at least a chance it's just a tech issue and they'll fix it like they say.

carnival is like most company's that use old legacy software on newer computer hardware and these things don't always work well together. They might have to go digging through various backups to find the correct data and repair the broken

They have tried to get it back to the original booking but can't because they rebooked it at 170.00 more per person and the system won't let them downgrade, that is the issue, if they cancel it and rebook with a different booking number I will lose the faster to the fun I have attached to that booking. this is an issue at their end and I feel they need to fix it and I shouldn't lose anything I booked this cruise months ago and FTTF in May( its now sold out)

Do you have the original cabin confirmation from when you made the booking?

I dont think thats the issue. OP said the issue is the system wouldnt let them downgrade the cabin to a lower category and price.

They are not saying they cant see what she originally booked.

She also said if they cancel the booking (which a supervisor could do and over ride the penalty, I had one do it once, so I know it can be done), she is afraid she would lose the FTTF she paid for that they dont know how to rebook and attach it.

Yes, I do have the original booking, one of the reasons I'm so frustrated is that they just canceled and changed without my consent or knowledge....I received a cancellation email and the rebooked one with a completely different booking number....they reinstated the original booking number so it does show the faster to the fun now, but at 170.00 more pp!

did you have a 50% deposit when you originally booked?

Maybe when you got the price decrease it changed your deposit amount to 100% and then canceled the booking for nonpayment.

No idea just throwing that out there.

God Luck and hope it's resolved quickly and you are made whole.

Bill

I did provide proof of military and it was accepted. It was a 50% deposit but I made regular payments on it so I was at the full deposit amount before any changes (couple of price drops)....this cruise was booked for months and yesterday morning it was fine, as I check for price drops frequently...very odd...I will be calling again at 9AM to try and resolve this issue...

back in March I booked the Carnival Glory Nov 10th sailing for my husband and myself, also booked faster to the fun..Two months ago I changed to the military rate 299pp porthole room...same booking number etc...A month later I make a payment, everything is as it should be. Today I call Carnival to inquire what the rate would be if I added my daughter, knowing I would have to change rooms(just an inquiry at this point) While I was on the line the customer service agent said oh, theres a problem with this booking let me get a manager to fix it. never telling me what the problem was but getting back to me and saying all is ok. I check my booking online and it is just as it has been. Tonight I get cancellation because the booking is corrupt according to the customer service rep and now they have me in an oceanview for double the price ( I never asked for an oceanview) They cant help me tonight because they need the techs to fix it and they only work business hours...Why do I have the feeling something good is not about to happen?? What should I do???

"Corrupt" is usually data, supported by the statement that a tech needs to fix it.

We can help you less than they can. Call back this morning during business hours.

And THIS is precisely why I never book direct with Carnival! :)

I use a local cruise consultant, dealing face to face with people I know personally!

They are the ones who battle this nonsense on my behalf..

and I never even know it's happened!

Isn't that nice? ;)

Why do I have the feeling something good is not about to happen??

Probably because cruise lines are notorious for HORRIBLE customer service when something goes wrong. It is the price we pay to go on these great value vacations.

Probably because cruise lines are notorious for HORRIBLE customer service when something goes wrong. It is the price we pay to go on these great value vacations.

I disagree-every business has good and bad customer service-sometimes it is in how you approach it and talk to them. Yelling or getting mad does not always work. Just asking for a supervisor, take names, and talking it out has worked for us most times. Good luck skatermom.

Yes, I do have the original booking, one of the reasons I'm so frustrated is that they just canceled and changed without my consent or knowledge....I received a cancellation email and the rebooked one with a completely different booking number....they reinstated the original booking number so it does show the faster to the fun now, but at 170.00 more pp!

Give them a bit of time to fix. I'm sure they will make it right.

It just sounds like a tech issue, try not to worry. They might just have moved you to the oceanview cabin as a kind of stopgap until they resolve the problem, and then they'll move you back. Let the back room techie guys do their job, then reassess the situation. No need to panic when they haven't even had a chance to try and fix it yet.

Also I would dispute that the occasional tech issue means you shouldn't book online yourself or that customer service in the cruiseline industry is awful. Any system handling that much information from so many input sources is eventually going to corrupt in some way - but it's all about how they deal with the problem that will make or break your experience. Give them a chance.

And THIS is precisely why I never book direct with Carnival! :)

I use a local cruise consultant, dealing face to face with people I know personally!

They are the ones who battle this nonsense on my behalf..

and I never even know it's happened!

Isn't that nice? ;)

I agree our TA is a personal friend and she deals with any issues that arise.;)

Try not to worry too much about it. Your cruise is still 4 months away they should have it resolved shortly. Give them till the end of this week and see what happens. Meanwhile, don't let this mishap ruin your countdown to sail away. :p

Archived