Suggestions please: having surgery 8 weeks prior to sailing

Love2travel4

Decided to post this here, as other parts of the boards get little responses. This cruise was booked and paid off prior to my surgery decision.

i will be having gastric bypass weight loss surgery on August 27. Sailing on the Dawn Boston to Bermuda October 25. I have cruised many, many times before so I know the set up of the restaurants. I do not drink and will be ale to use the gym. Being only 8 weeks out (I have my dietician appt. to increase my foods on Oct. 20, right before we leave) I would like your suggestions of how to tackle this. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. I will pack my mini blender and protein powder.

2. What snacks should I pack to bring while out and about (limited items due to no refrigeration)

3. I do not eat fish or any seafood.

4. I don't have any problem sitting with my family while they sit at MDR and then maybe needing to go to the Buffett for wider selection.

5. Should I call NCL before hand?

Thank you for any input

I pray for a speedy recovery, but I would honestly work together with your dietician and your doctor to get the best "prescription" to ensure an enjoyable cruise.

Unless we have some of those individuals on board, I don't personally feel comfortable giving that type of advice...

Enjoy the cruise!!!

Thank you for both for your thoughts, I am really hoping to hear from others who have gone through this process. i have gotten the approval from my doctor and nutritionist, this has been a 6 month process that I have been preparing for. No, I am not postponing a family vacation, as anyone that has taken on this decision to change their life knows that there will always be food events. Prior to the cruise I have a weekend to NY planned, bachelorette party, sisters wedding and another 12 day vacation with family from California. All of these will take planning and prepetation and I am determined to do that. Just looking for some tips. Thank you!

I have had lap-band surgery and by 8 weeks out I would have been fine on a cruise.

Of course, you need the blessing of your doctor! No one here can give medical advice.

But I can tell you my personal experience, and I'm happy to do it. The biggest challenge is not drinking water with food, but being sure to drink plenty of liquids at other times.

If you start to feel distress, head straight for the bathroom, do not try to "tough it out!"

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have had lap-band surgery and by 8 weeks out I would have been fine on a cruise.

Of course, you need the blessing of your doctor! No one here can give medical advice.

But I can tell you my personal experience, and I'm happy to do it. The biggest challenge is not drinking water with food, but being sure to drink plenty of liquids at other times.

If you start to feel distress, head straight for the bathroom, do not try to "tough it out!"

Have a GREAT cruise!

You did? How did you do with it?

I have had bypass and I went on vacation 6 weeks post op. when I had it done 11 years ago it was not done laparoscopically so I had a large incision. I was perfectly fine. Tired by the end of the day but ok. Just be extra cautious with your eating as you will just be progressing to a regular diet. I pretty much at soup and mashed potatoes as I knew they were "safe" foods that agreed with me.

Good luck with your surgery!!! It's the best decision I ever made!!

Decided to post this here, as other parts of the boards get little responses. This cruise was booked and paid off prior to my surgery decision.

i will be having gastric bypass weight loss surgery on August 27. Sailing on the Dawn Boston to Bermuda October 25. I have cruised many, many times before so I know the set up of the restaurants. I do not drink and will be ale to use the gym. Being only 8 weeks out (I have my dietician appt. to increase my foods on Oct. 20, right before we leave) I would like your suggestions of how to tackle this. Here are my initial thoughts:

2. What snacks should I pack to bring while out and about (limited items due to no refrigeration)

4. I don't have any problem sitting with my family while they sit at MDR and then maybe needing to go to the Buffett for wider selection.

Thank you for any input

I had lap band surgery 4 weeks before I went on a weekend cruise to the Bahamas. I was able to order softer foods and had to lay off the alcohol. The only problem I had was I wasn't able to go swimming because of my incisions!

Even with the increased food because of the cruise, I was able to lose 2 lbs!

Good luck!

I would also recommend contacting special needs at NCL, to see what choices they have for softer foods, etc, that may be available if they know of your condition. Wider knowledge of your needs is never a bad thing.

Thank you for any input

I was just talking with one of the servers from one of the NCL ships yesterday by text on FB. She had just been promoted from assistant waitress to full waitress serving those guests with special dietary needs. (I didn't even know they had people that did that) Anyway, she said that the waitress works with the executive chef to prepare food that the guest can have. So, I would suggest that you contact NCL and let them know, and then on the first night of your cruise, let your waitress know your special needs again.

I had Gastric bypass about 3 years ago, and things are going great!....

By 8 weeks your incisions should be healed, I see no reason not to go into the pool...

As far as eating, ask your waiter/waitress for small portions at dinner, that way you are not tempted into eating it all....If you are just beginning on solid foods, remember to chew, chew, chew....take your time eating, let your brain tell you when you are full. Scan the buffets, don't fill your plate with stuff you want to sample, there is food on there that you will be able to eat, don't let temptation overcome you. If you do over do it, you will know and that is very uncomfortable, just excuse yourself and go to the bathroom and purge, you will feel much better.

You will have to train yourself to eat very small portions, stay away from greasy foods, sugary foods, drink plenty of water, flavored water between meals, drink your protein shakes. I'm sure your dietician will explain what foods will be good for you, and what is not. There is so much food onboard the ship, they will have plenty that you can work with...you have to do all the work tho to stay away from the foods you are used to eating. Some foods you loved before the surgery, might not agree with you after surgery.

I am sure you will do well on the cruise, just do what your dietician tells you, you won't starve, you won't feel hungry. I still reference the paperwork, and plans today and am still doing great....you will learn the do's and don'ts as you go along... you will learn from your mistakes, and they can be very painful mistakes.

Might be good to take a journal with you and write down what you eat each day, keep track of your proteins, calories...etc. There is also a small book you can reference for nutritional information, The Diet King or something like that. Also there are apps that can help you keep track of things on your cell phone.....

I wish you well on your cruise and with your surgery!

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

~L~

If you do over do it, you will know and that is very uncomfortable, just excuse yourself and go to the bathroom and purge, you will feel much better.

I don't think that encouraging a person with disordered eating to pick up habits that lead to another eating disorder is the best way to deal with a situation.

OP- I wish you the best of luck. I have several friends who have taken the surgical route to deal with their weight, and it's not the "easy" way out no matter what people might believe. I hope that this surgery provides the wellness and health that you are seeking!

From a surgical standpoint- no two people heal the same. By 8 weeks, unless you have thin skin, you should be in perfectly fine shape to enjoy water recreation. I had abdominal surgery several years ago (not weight loss related) and at week 6 I was laying on my stomach reading, rolled over, and must have just put enough tension on the new skin to rip myself wide open.

That was an interesting trip to the ER- but unfortunately my surgery was not laproscopic. You won't be dealing with long incisions, so I honestly believe you'll be good to go.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you for all the responses! I will definatley be contact NCL special needs department to give them a heads up and then again speak to my server. Question here: we will probably go to the MDR the first night (and most nights) but we usually ahve a different server each night. Should I just ask for the head server the first night? I would love smaller portions, one to not be tempted to over eat, and second not to waste.

Brettsmom2004: Do you by chance have an email where I could ask you more ???

Also, still looking for specific foods to pack with me to bring on shore besides protein powder.

Thanks again!

I am not encouraging, that is what is recommended by doctors for this if in destress...better to do it in the bathroom than to do it at the table....don't ya think?...less embarrassing too. If you haven't had the surgery, you don't know what this pain is like...and once you overdo it you learn not to do it again...not a good feeling at all.

No, it's not an easy way out, takes alot of work and planning for this life changing surgery. You have to be willing to stick with it for the rest of your life, or it will be a failure.

~L~

I have not had gastric bypass, but I have other dietary requirements and this is what I have done: I contacted NCL special needs department and told them the situation, (save all the emails you will have with them) once on board I was contacted by the head chef, and we sat down and made a plan. We talked about what I could and could not eat, where we would be eating (specialty, MDR, etc) on what day, he had a menus and I selected my meals ahead of time. I don't know how this would be handled for you, but this is what NCL did for me. I hope that it helps.

Love2Travel4,

I would think that you have had many appointments with the weightloss center who work with the surgeon to get you ready for your surgery...have they given you any booklets/pamphlets with information?...My dietician at the center gave me many with so much information, also included menus, what to eat for 6-8 weeks after surgery and much more....Have you gotten this information?

~L~

I don't think that encouraging a person with disordered eating to pick up habits that lead to another eating disorder is the best way to deal with a situation.

TravelDiva88,

A little education here....

Gastric Doctors call this "Dumping Syndrome".....It's pretty much automatic when in distress after Gastric Bypass surgery....."Purging" to me is a nicer name to use. Sometimes you have no control on when it happens, best when you feel the onset, to get to a bathroom. It can come by way of mouth or the back door. Holding it in only increases pain, "Purging" has to be done to get any relief. Only way to prevent it is not to over eat, and watch what you eat. I'm almost 3 years since my surgery, just this weekend I had to "Purge" because I had something that too much fat/grease in it....It's an ongoing battle for the rest of my life...some food I'm ok with, some not. It's trial and error. You learn as you go. I cut and pasted a little about it below:

What is Dumping Syndrome?

Dumping syndrome is a problem that occurs in some patients after having gastric bypass surgery. It is the result of food passing too quickly into the small intestine. It is typically induced when the patient eats certain foods, such as sweets or certain carbohydrate sources (such as simple carbohydrates like sugar and some starches). It can also occur as a result of eating too much at one time.

What are the Symptoms of Dumping Syndrome?

Some symptoms of dumping syndrome include:

•nausea or queasiness

•a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort

•cramping

•diarrhea

•general weakness

•profuse sweating

•vomiting

•heart palpitations (an increase in heart rate)

Treatment for Dumping Syndrome

Dietary changes are a very effective treatment for dumping syndrome. Keeping a food diary of your food intake and your reaction to those foods will help you assess which tend to cause symptoms. Make a note of problematic foods and avoid them as often as possible.

Common Foods to Avoid

Some typical foods those suffering from dumping syndrome may need to avoid include:

•pancakes with syrup

•sweetened cereals

•fruit punch

•milkshakes

•sweet pickles

•ice cream

•candy

•cookies

•honey

Additional Dietary Changes

Eating smaller meals -- about six a day -- is typically helpful. Abstaining from drinking liquids during your meals is advised for all gastric bypass patients, but it is especially important to preventing the symptoms of dumping syndrome. You should always wait at least 30 minutes after a meal before drinking any liquids.

Some patients find avoiding foods that are either very hot or very cold may help prevent dumping syndrome. Consuming milk and dairy products has also been found to lead to symptoms. So it is a good idea to eliminate these foods and assess your symptoms after several days.

When do Symptoms Subside?

Usually the symptoms associated with dumping syndrome will subside in about an hour. Most patients find the symptoms are alleviated after they lie down for a while. (This is due to the fact that lying down slows the process of food being emptied from the stomach.)

~L~

Archived