Wow....Hal shouldn't have ticked me off....

alwaysfrantic

I've had both SY cabins on HAL and mini-suites on Princess, and really prefer the Princess layout. I like the separate couch/table area and the 2 TVs which allows one person to sleep and one to watch TV or have a light on without disturbing the other. The only thing I liked better in the SY cabin was the larger bathroom with both shower and tub. I've traveled on Celebrity, HAL, Princess and Royal Caribbean and enjoyed all my cruises, but do prefer Celebrity and Princess overall. Why not try something new?

Cathy

To each his or her own. I have sailed quite happily with other lines, but I prefer HAL. The idea that anyone would allow the alcohol policy, or the smoking policy, or any one directive, to so influence their purchasing decisions that they decide to forego HAL is ludicrous to me. I have sailed on many a ship, to many a port, without having any alcohol at all. It IS possible to have fun without a wine glass in hand.

Speak for yourself, but please don't preach to the rest of us. You obviously do not enjoy the pleasure of a good glass of wine, and that is your choice. That is not mine nor that of many other cruisers.

Speak for yourself, but please don't preach to the rest of us. You obviously do not enjoy the pleasure of a good glass of wine, and that is your choice. That is not mine nor that of many other cruisers.

Why not campaign to get different wine choices onboard HAL ships?

That's what I'm thinking. I considered going back to Princess after this bro ha ha but then someone mentioned the beds on Princess. Then it all came back...their beds were why we left Princess to begin with. Like a cement slab is an accurate assessment.

I think I'll just sit tight and see how this all plays out.

No doubt about it the beds have been bad. On my last cruise on Princess (Apr 2013) the bed was fine on the Sapphire. The food was as good if not better and the service was much better then HAL.

I just heard from guest services - if they read my concerns - they ignored them -= they just sent the pat answer that was already posted.

What bothers me the most is that they didn't even say something like - we get it.

They might as well sent me a PxO letter. Ok, you're not going to change - at least be responsive to the client and pretend you listened.:mad:

It will be interesting to see what my reply is to the letter I sent to the office of the Pres. If it's the same, I am not going to be a happy camper.

At least PRETEND you are listening:mad:

and for Cruise of lose - that's part of the problem right there in a nutshell. I worked in client service for many years - if someone had an issue - you addressed it - you might leave things as they are - but you addressed it. This is like rubbing salt in the wound. I take the time to write a detailed email outlining my concerns and suggestions and I get the 'pat' reply. Ohhhh and lots not forget "through excellence we create once in a life time experiences".

Tell me HAL how do you create that when you don't even answer your client's concerns.

OK, so your concern is twofold:

1. If I understand it correctly, you want permission to bring your own wine onboard, even though there is wine available onboard;

2. Secondly, you want to bring wine back from the ports you visit, to consume on the ship.

How is HAL supposed to address those concerns? By saying they're sorry you feel that way?

For most of you, "addressing your concerns" means granting you permission to do what you want to do. That means changing the policy. HAL might be sympathetic, but really, that's what you're asking.

1. If I understand it correctly, you want permission to bring your own wine onboard, even though there is wine available onboard;

2. Secondly, you want to bring wine back from the ports you visit, to consume on the ship.

How is HAL supposed to address those concerns? By saying they're sorry you feel that way?

For most of you, "addressing your concerns" means granting you permission to do what you want to do. That means changing the policy. HAL might be sympathetic, but really, that's what you're asking.

I work with people all day long. Kind people, rude people, easy-going people, difficult people. I try not to offer them platitudes when I can't fix what's wrong. I tell them what I can and cannot do.

really? you don't say you're sorry? you don't show any empathy? you just give the same answer you give everyone else? all they had to say is - we are sorry you feel this way but this is the pollicy.... I feel sorry for whoever deals with you

Yes, that's it in a nutshell for most. I really wish I could get everything I want to but I realize that's not going to happen.

really? you don't say you're sorry? you don't show any empathy? you just give the same answer you give everyone else? all they had to say is - we are sorry you feel this way but this is the pollicy.... I feel sorry for whoever deals with you

With all due respect Kazu, I think you are letting this wine policy get the best of you. I would have never have guessed you would reply like this. It is not like you.

These posts are so reeking of "It's All About Me" that it's disgusting. These people should charter a yacht and leave us 1,900 schlubs in their rear view mirror.

We were on the Coral last December and the beds were very comfortable. Check the ship you want, but the new beds are good.

That's what I'm thinking. I considered going back to Princess after this bro ha ha but then someone mentioned the beds on Princess. Then it all came back...their beds were why we left Princess to begin with. Like a cement slab is an accurate assessment.

I think I'll just sit tight and see how this all plays out.

With all due respect Kazu, I think you are letting this wine policy get the best of you. I would have never have guessed you would reply like this. It is not like you.

Sorry Lorene - but it's not the wine thing anymore - it's the way HAL has handled the whole thing and the replies without addressing any concerns.

I don't expect them to 'give me' anything - but I do expect them to have a little empathy and not just send the pat reply that was plastered across the FB page.

I also expect someone who is in customer service to understand the word empathy - I certainly had some when I did it. yeah, you're right - I better get off the boards.

I just heard from guest services - if they read my concerns - they ignored them -= they just sent the pat answer that was already posted.

What bothers me the most is that they didn't even say something like - we get it.

They might as well sent me a PxO letter. Ok, you're not going to change - at least be responsive to the client and pretend you listened.:mad:

It will be interesting to see what my reply is to the letter I sent to the office of the Pres. If it's the same, I am not going to be a happy camper.

At least PRETEND you are listening:mad:

This is a textbook Business Sense 101 case of a company not following the simplest, cheapest and proven techniques for customer relations. You are a loyal, vocal and high end customer who makes the case for splurging when appropriate (most expensive ship, unique itineraries, penthouse suite, hosted parties).

The boilerplate response to you and others extends and magnifies HAL's original mistake: the significant change in policy with no notice. Their lack of foresight in rolling out a new program, including lack of standardized information and training for all customer-facing staff, is atrocious. The haphazard roll out mid-cruise(!) that KirkNC and others witnessed is ridiculous. All of this could have been avoided had HAL spent 10 minutes talking with any traveler, frontline customer service rep or man on the street and asking them what they thought would happen.

HAL has every right to change anything they like for their bottom line. However, their lack of transparency, poor execution, lack of apology for their initial mistaken roll out and their apparent inability to grasp that backtracking after public outcry without acknowledgment that they upset their loyal fans does not bode well for their future in a very competitive marketplace.

For the record, my first HAL cruise (selected for the itinerary) is in a few weeks. I don't drink wine and am not affected one way or the other on this particular policy. The concern this raises goes more to HAL's regard for customer relations and commitment to loyal customers with concerns.

Such is your positive presence, Kazu, that the thought of you and others who fill this HAL board with so much information and insight would "jump ship" to another line makes me a bit dispirited.

I don't hold out much hope for a corporate entity that has botched this much for so many days without putting someone in authority out front to take a stand, explain the policy, answer all questions and remind us of why HAL has so many fans but perhaps they will surprise us all. The clock is ticking though.

Well said, Milgrain. Yes, HAL has a perfect right to change any darn thing they want, including things that might make those of you who are ecstatic about the changes in the wine policy unhappy. But they aren't a monopoly and we aren't required to buy from them if we don't like the changes-we can make our voices heard, and if they don't listen, folks may choose to spend their money elsewhere.

I think some of this seems particularly odd to me because I'm in the process of booking my first cruise now, so I don't have any of the loyalty that many of you do (heck, I don't even know that I'll like cruising....though I'm pretty optimistic :) ). I can't imagine any other vacation that I'd take that would restrict my habits in this way-if I stay at a fabulous resort, for instance, they have a financial interest in me buying food and alcohol from them but they aren't going to search my luggage or forbid me from bringing my own into my room to consume. This seems just bizarre to me.

Noordam is what I am currently booked on. Eclipse is what is in the same general area at the same time.

I would take the Eclipse in a heartbeat. I really want to a sail on a new Solstice class ship and experience the ships that Cruise Critic members rate so highly.

Eclipse: "90% of cruisers loved it"

Noordam: "84% of cruisers loved it"

This is a textbook Business Sense 101 case of a company not following the simplest, cheapest and proven techniques for customer relations. You are a loyal, vocal and high end customer who makes the case for splurging when appropriate (most expensive ship, unique itineraries, penthouse suite, hosted parties).

The boilerplate response to you and others extends and magnifies HAL's original mistake: the significant change in policy with no notice. Their lack of foresight in rolling out a new program, including lack of standardized information and training for all customer-facing staff, is atrocious. The haphazard roll out mid-cruise(!) that KirkNC and others witnessed is ridiculous. All of this could have been avoided had HAL spent 10 minutes talking with any traveler, frontline customer service rep or man on the street and asking them what they thought would happen.

HAL has every right to change anything they like for their bottom line. However, their lack of transparency, poor execution, lack of apology for their initial mistaken roll out and their apparent inability to grasp that backtracking after public outcry without acknowledgment that they upset their loyal fans does not bode well for their future in a very competitive marketplace.

For the record, my first HAL cruise (selected for the itinerary) is in a few weeks. I don't drink wine and am not affected one way or the other on this particular policy. The concern this raises goes more to HAL's regard for customer relations and commitment to loyal customers with concerns.

Such is your positive presence, Kazu, that the thought of you and others who fill this HAL board with so much information and insight would "jump ship" to another line makes me a bit dispirited.

I don't hold out much hope for a corporate entity that has botched this much for so many days without putting someone in authority out front to take a stand, explain the policy, answer all questions and remind us of why HAL has so many fans but perhaps they will surprise us all. The clock is ticking though.

Thank you for your kind words and understanding.

DH and I are both very principled people. In his job he listens to people - in mine I did too - and I still do in certain volunteer aspects;)

You got it - business 101 - I thought everyone had that lesson in business - it's not just the wine thing anymore - it's the way the whole thing is being handled and the reply I got that really bothers me and sent me looking.

The email bothered me worse. Specific concerns and questions asked and totally ignored. Literally the same post on FB word for word without even saying - we understand your concerns but...

anyways what will be will be - if people want to think I'm nuts because this bothers me - that's fine - some don't get it's more than wine - that's ok too.

I'm not making a sudden move - I'm still looking for the right itinerary if I am going to replace the Prinsendam.

This whole debacle has been a mess for no reason. We don't like our business taken for granted. 50% off a wine package that is debatable in quality to say the least is no reason to sail HAL.

thanks again.

You know when empathy is required? When a public utility threatens a service interruption over one missed bill, and the client has three children and no spouse. When a father is desperate to get help for his teenage daughter because she's severely depressed. When a medication necessary for survival of a Stage 3 cancer patient is de-listed for insurance coverage.

That's when one needs to show empathy. And A LOT OF IT.

Over a change in the wine policy? Nobody's going to suffer any quantifiable harm. They're going to be upset, and they're going to feel cheated. But their lives are not going to shatter before their eyes. Unless they ALLOW the change to ruin their enjoyment of something they previously loved.

I do love how people who are loyal customers of a particular cruise line are always referred to as "cheerleaders". Sail and I disagree on this point, but his / her expertise on HAL is something I don't challenge. He or she has the nautical miles to prove the point.

Perfectly said. Tick-Toc.

Well said, Milgrain. Yes, HAL has a perfect right to change any darn thing they want, including things that might make those of you who are ecstatic about the changes in the wine policy unhappy. But they aren't a monopoly and we aren't required to buy from them if we don't like the changes-we can make our voices heard, and if they don't listen, folks may choose to spend their money elsewhere.

I think some of this seems particularly odd to me because I'm in the process of booking my first cruise now, so I don't have any of the loyalty that many of you do (heck, I don't even know that I'll like cruising....though I'm pretty optimistic :) ). I can't imagine any other vacation that I'd take that would restrict my habits in this way-if I stay at a fabulous resort, for instance, they have a financial interest in me buying food and alcohol from them but they aren't going to search my luggage or forbid me from bringing my own into my room to consume. This seems just bizarre to me.

Or, you could just do an upscale all inclusive, and have whatever you like, and bring whatever you like. :)

Archived