Lessons learned, love shared: Golden Princess to Hawaii 3/27/13

terrific_surprise

If find the schedule down to the minutes interesting ;)

Something I might have done on an early trip to the Islands before we learned about Island time:eek:

Then we learned to try and pick an hour or two... Now if we don't pick a day ... we try and pick AM or PM.

Had you not had such a schedule ... you probably would not have made it past the volcano ;)

See you started right on time ... interesting to hear how the day went.

It still surprises us how FAST time goes on the Islands.

Edited by MauiLvrs

I was slightly confused to notice that no beach towels were available as we exited the ship, because I thought from our previous cruise that beach towels were provided at the gangway.

I have never seen beach towels available as one leaves the ship. Have always needed to taker along the ones in the cabin.

Sometimes on returning to the ship there is a bin to place the used towels.

Edited by caribill

My wife Terri loves to drive, and my driving often bothers her (so much so that she even insisted upon driving 30 miles to the hospital when she was in labor many years ago). So as I planned this cruise, I always intended for my gift to her to include giving her the opportunity to drive around the Hawaiian Islands. Unfortunately, the loss of her driver's license scuttled those plans, and by the time we stepped off the boat in Hilo we were both resigned to the fact that I would be the only one who would be driving on our port days.

Months before the cruise, I had given her a hint about a rental car on "April Fool's Day" but I didn't realize that April 1 would turn out to be a bit of a cruel joke for her. (Nevertheless she took it in stride, always seeming to be unusually happy to let me drive around the islands.)

All of my rental car reservations for the cruise had been made with Alamo, because they allow debit cards to be used for rentals. Although we used the same rental car agency on each island, our rental car experience was quite different on each island.

As the passengers left the Golden Princess, we crowded around several shelters which had been setup for those waiting for transportation.

9637028068_6db91f14c9.jpg

There seemed to be no specific place to wait for the Alamo shuttle bus, and no lines were forming, so we just stood at the edge of the crowd. Prior to the cruise, Alamo phone reps had told me that a shuttle bus would arrive at the Hilo port every 20 minutes, so I hoped that our wait wouldn't be long, being eager to begin our Hilo adventure.

About 10 minutes after we began standing near the shelters, a blue Alamo bus arrived. With no apparent order, people who were near where the bus stopped began piling in. But it had stopped about ten yards from where we were standing! Not wanting to wait another 20 minutes, I decided that we needed to assert ourselves, so we just walked into the street, going around the crowd, hoping to make it to the bus before it was too full.

With so many people wanting to get on the bus, the driver warned that only drivers were allowed to board, and that only those with reservations could board, because all of the cars were reserved. So as I boarded the bus, I had to leave Terri behind in the loading zone.

Although the airport appears to be just a few blocks from the Kuhio St. port on the map, it took over ten minutes to get to Alamo's airport office on the bus. While driving the bus to the airport, Darryl, the friendly driver, informed us that we should allow 3 1/2 hours round trip to the volcano and 1 1/2 hours round trip to Akaka Falls. Those times were very close to what I had estimated; nevertheless, it made me feel a bit sick to realize how very little extra time we would have (especially because our plans called for visiting additional waterfalls). To make matters worse, Darryl went on to say that 20,000 people were in town that day for a hula convention, so traffic would be really bad in the afternoon. Because of this, he warned us to plan to return the car by 4 pm to make sure that we would get back to the ship before its 6 pm departure.

It only took me a moment to realize that we would need to make a decision between the volcano and the waterfalls. And it only took me another moment to conclude that we would need to choose the waterfalls instead of the volcano, because we have always enjoyed visiting waterfalls. I didn't want us to be so stressed to get from one place to the next that we would be too rushed to stop for a few minutes to enjoy the little places we might find along the way.

I had been the last one to board the shuttle bus, standing in front holding on to a pole with one hand with my large duffel bag weighing down the opposite shoulder. But being in that position gave me a special advantage: when we arrived at the Alamo office, I was the first one off the bus. Therefore, I was the first one in line at the rental counter.

The rental process was quick and hassle-free, with the price matching what I was quoted and no attempt to hard-sell any extras. Thankfully I had remembered to bring all of the necessary information: my rental confirmation, my cruise card, my Costco card (because the reservation was made through Costco), my driver's license, my debit card, and my insurance information.

The Alamo rep handed me a "key" and directed me to the parking space where a grey Dodge Journey waited. I had never seen such a "key": there was nothing to put in the ignition, but only buttons to press. (Obviously, I am behind the times in relation to the latest vehicle technology.) Nevertheless, it only took me a moment to realize that I could start the vehicle with the push of a button.

Soon I was driving away from the Hilo airport, on my way back to Kuhio St. to pick up Terri, who had been standing patiently for 40 minutes in the same spot where I had left her. Although port security personnel restricted access to Kuhio St., they allowed me to drive the car in to pick her up.

It was about 10:10 as we drove away from the port, almost right on schedule for the time I had originally planned for us to head to the volcano. But when I told Terri that it seemed like we should make a choice between the volcano and the waterfalls, she agreed that the waterfalls would be her choice.

I have never seen beach towels available as one leaves the ship. Have always needed to taker along the ones in the cabin.

Sometimes on returning to the ship there is a bin to place the used towels.

It is quite possible that I was quite delusional in my thought that towels were ever made available as we exited a ship. :confused: However, if anyone who is reading this can remember a time when beach towels were available at or near the gangway, I would appreciate it if you could mention that so that I don't think that I was completely crazy. :eek: In any case, I did eventually figure out where to get the towels (as I'll explain later). :o

It is quite possible that I was quite delusional in my thought that towels were ever made available as we exited a ship. :confused: However, if anyone who is reading this can remember a time when beach towels were available at or near the gangway, I would appreciate it if you could mention that so that I don't think that I was completely crazy. :eek: In any case, I did eventually figure out where to get the towels (as I'll explain later). :o

HAL has towels available as you leave the ship. Maybe you had them on your 2005 Carnival Cruise. Princess hasn't had towels at the gangway since we started cruising in 1996. Hope this helps. I am enjoying your thread.

Cheers, Denise

We started cruising on Princess in 2003 and I don't ever recall beach towels being made available as one left the ship. But those blue striped towels were always in our closet and perhaps even the cabin steward pointed them out on our first cruise. I don't even remember not being able to get the beach towels on Carnival in our cabin and our first Carnival cruise was in 1994. The only things I recall seeing by the gangway were bottles of water for sale and pamphlets directing you to the closet Diamonds International store. Maybe it's some other cruiseline you're thinking of.

. . . There seemed to be no specific place to wait for the Alamo shuttle bus, and no lines were forming, so we just stood at the edge of the crowd. Prior to the cruise, Alamo phone reps had told me that a shuttle bus would arrive at the Hilo port every 20 minutes, so I hoped that our wait wouldn't be long, being eager to begin our Hilo adventure.

About 10 minutes after we began standing near the shelters, a blue Alamo bus arrived. With no apparent order, people who were near where the bus stopped began piling in. But it had stopped about ten yards from where we were standing! Not wanting to wait another 20 minutes, I decided that we needed to assert ourselves, so we just walked into the street, going around the crowd, hoping to make it to the bus before it was too full . . .

When we were planning our Hawaii cruise, we also planned to rent a car and go to VNP. I had read on Cruise Critic that the shuttle buses were slow and packed full. The person posting suggested getting a taxi to the rental car agency at the airport as they had done and you would beat all the shuttle people. The taxis were lined up at the dock, we jumped in one and we headed straight for the rental car agency. As we were leaving in our rental car, the "cattle bus" was just coming around the corner!;)

As we drove away from the port in Hilo and decided to skip visiting the volcano, my mind immediately shifted into "island time" (as MauiLvrs called it above). My carefully-timed itinerary went out the window, being replaced by an inclination to "just hang loose." (Note to Elua fans: not to be taken too literally.) :rolleyes:

So as we drove by Lili’uokalani Gardens, less than two miles from the ship, I decided that we should start there (although I had originally planned to end our visit to Hilo there).

9633797517_58292ba606.jpg

For us, these Japanese gardens provided a beautiful, peaceful introduction to Hawaii, with no sign of other tourists around, but just a few locals enjoying a quiet morning strolling at the park. (This would be an easy walk from the port for those who wish to explore Hilo on foot.)

Just north of Lili’uokalani Gardens, we crossed a wide footbridge to Coconut Island (Moku Ola), where we saw children playing on a tiny beach while young men played sports in the island's grassy area. I didn't realize at the time that Moku Ola was historically significant as a place of healing and refuge.

Our enjoyment of this charming island was further enhanced by the fact that to one side we could see Hilo and the rising slopes of Mauna Kea and to the other side we could see the Golden Princess.

9634102893_3be8d11712.jpg

8651124319_164f942f26.jpg

I had read that some people enjoy jumping off the old 15 foot stone tower on the island (a remnant of an old footbridge which was destroyed by a tsunami). Soon after we arrived, a man jumped off, followed by a somewhat reluctant boy.

9637399308_c84f13733a.jpg

Did we jump off? No, we didn't even consider it. The closest I got to the water was to dip my hand in it. It seemed to me like the ocean water was about the same temperature as the somewhat cool air.

Our leisurely visit to Lili'uokalani Gardens and Coconut Island lasted less than an hour. Soon we returned to the car and circled around Banyan Drive to Highway 19 (Hawaii Belt Road), on our way to Akaka Falls.

9634204711_69f00ab158.jpg

MSC has the towels when you leave the ship also. They use the orange towels at the pools on the ship and blue towels off the ship.

Keep up your posting Terrific surprise, I am enjoying it very much.

Gerry

Thanks for all of you who posted your comments on the towels. Whether or not I am fully justified to do so, I will take advantage of the evidence that towels have sometimes been provided to passengers leaving some ships to proclaim myself "not entirely delusional" on this issue. ;)

Tim

So very glad you enjoyed the Gardens and Coconut Island. These are some of my favorite spots in Hilo. I know you were disappointed in missing Volcano National Park, but look at all the other places you were able to enjoy during the brief stop in Hilo. You will just need to plan another trip to the Islands (pick one: to have an extended visit).

... I know you were disappointed in missing Volcano National Park...

One of our concerns about booking this trip is that there is SO little time on Island.

On three trips to BI we've been to the Volcano three times. We chased it for over 20 years, and finally in 2008 or trip schedule and mother nature aligned and we got to see the eruption.

2781768605_3c08b9af7f.jpg

hi08-714lava 039 by dntanderson, on Flickr

We were fortunate to have time and didn't have to make a choice and made it to Akaka Falls on that same trip.

Each of those trips are a day trip and while it was probably difficult it is probably good that you decided to pick one. Given that the volcano (as best I can determine anyway) was rather inactive when you were there and your love of waterfalls and flowers ... seem you made a good choice.

Had you decided to try and fit in everything ... you may have been more disappointed that missing just the volcano.

We appreciate the tip about the walking tour from the ship if we decide to make this cruise ... that may be an option that we use.

Edited by MauiLvrs

One of our concerns about booking this trip is that there is SO little time on Island.

On three trips to BI we've been to the Volcano three times. We chased it for over 20 years, and finally in 2008 or trip schedule and mother nature aligned and we got to see the eruption.

2781768605_3c08b9af7f.jpg

hi08-714lava 039 by dntanderson, on Flickr

We were fortunate to have time and didn't have to make a choice and made it to Akaka Falls on that same trip.

Each of those trips are a day trip and while it was probably difficult it is probably good that you decided to pick one. Given that the volcano (as best I can determine anyway) was rather inactive when you were there and your love of waterfalls and flowers ... seem you made a good choice.

Had you decided to try and fit in everything ... you may have been more disappointed that missing just the volcano.

We appreciate the tip about the walking tour from the ship if we decide to make this cruise ... that may be an option that we use.

You were extremely fortunate to see Madame Pele at her finest. It is a hit and miss event. I was there for Kilauea Iki eruption in the 60's. What a spectacular experience that was. At another time, I happened upon a moon rise hike into Halemaumau Crater with the rangers. The very best way to enjoy the Big Island is to stay for a week to ten days. Then, you might see it all.

A pleasant 20 minute drive north from Hilo on Highway 19 brought us to Highway 220, which turns a couple of quick corners through the town of Honomu before heading straight to Akaka Falls without a single switchback. Just ten minutes after leaving Highway 19, we had circled around the small parking lot at Akaka Falls State Park (the terminus of Highway 220) before finding a place to park which was just outside the gate.

9634202123_5559cde529.jpg

A parking attendant stood near a kiosk at the start of the path to the falls collecting $1 per person for those of us who entered on foot, or $5 per vehicle for those who parked inside the gate. The path (more like a sidewalk than a trail) leads downhill from the parking lot to the falls. Not far from the start of the path, it splits into two routes (two halves of the same loop), one leading to Akaka Falls and the other to Kahuna Falls.

8652212066_bbfb41604c.jpg

The sign recommends turning right toward Kahuna Falls, but we decided to turn left to take the shortcut to Akaka Falls -- we really weren't trying to be contrary, just practical (or so we thought). Being warned of steep slopes and stairs, I didn't want to make the journey any more difficult than necessary for my wife, and I thought that it was possible that after seeing Akaka Falls she might decide to skip the longer walk to Kahuna Falls. (I have a history of trying to stretch Terri a little too far, which began decades ago when I convinced her to walk up over 600 steps on the Mist Trail in Yosemite National Park to the top of Vernal Fall, continually telling her it would be "worth it at the top." Although she kept saying "I can see the waterfall fine from here," she now agrees that she was glad that she made it to the top -- because that's where I proposed to her! Nevertheless, she prefers not to relive the precious memories of such tortures, so I try to avoid such strenuous hikes. But sometimes I just can't resist.)

On the quick walk down to Akaka Falls, the path soon crossed over a beautiful series of tiny waterfalls.

8651111109_259f57352c.jpg

Even with the photo stop at the small waterfalls, we made it down to Akaka Falls in just five minutes or so. (Actually, you can't get very close the falls, but the path goes to a viewpoint on a cliff about halfway between the top of the falls and the pool 442 feet below.)

9637480860_1f999f7964.jpg

An informative sign at the Akaka Falls lookout describes the life cycles of amazing fish and shrimp species which actually climb the waterfall, where they start a new generation.

8652205068_bd77b48c8d.jpg

Oh, the things we do for love! (I have to admit that the story of the 'o'opu and the 'ōpaekala'ole trumps our Vernal Fall story. I wonder if they have a way of telling each other "it will be worth it at the top"?)

Edited by terrific_surprise

After such an easy walk to Akaka Falls, we couldn't miss the opportunity to walk another five minutes further down the path to the Kahuna Falls overlook. However, this view is not quite as spectacular, with only a side view of the waterfall (which is mostly obscured by the surrounding trees).

9637494424_8331e6a518.jpg

To complete the loop, we needed to go up a series of stairs. At this point, we realized that by choosing to go against the recommended direction, we actually made our path more difficult. Had we followed the recommendations, we would have gone down these stairs first, being able to complete the loop with less exertion on the sloped path.

8651083145_fa2ae2104c.jpg

According to a sign near the top of the path, much of the vegetation near Akaka Falls is not native, but was planted to create the feel of a lush rainforest. That's definitely the feeling it gave us.

8651096999_73d2ed874a.jpg

8651098909_39990ffb91.jpg

8651090007_2e68a1fe42.jpg

We completed the 0.4 mile loop in about 30 minutes (having had plenty of time to enjoy the gorgeous scenery). I was glad to hear that Terri didn't consider the walk to be too difficult. We had arrived at Akaka Falls at about noon, and the noon hour wasn't over before we began to leave (but I don't think that either of us were thinking about food). After reading some signs posted near the parking lot which explain the history of the area, we returned to our car for a quick trip back down the hill, setting our sights for the place where the waters of Akaka and Kahuna Falls reach the ocean.

I'm loving the stories. Keep them coming. As for the 600 steps up the Mist Trail, I guess if I had gotten proposed to at the top, it would have made me happy, but that is one slippery steep climb. Have done it once, and don't need to do it again. Would take the John Muir trail to the top if I had to do it again. The waterfalls you visited again were gorgeous. I'm sorry you missed VNP, because even without the volcano being very active, it is still a very special place -- beautiful in its own unique way. That's something to do the NEXT time you visit the Big Island.

I'm loving the stories. Keep them coming. As for the 600 steps up the Mist Trail, I guess if I had gotten proposed to at the top, it would have made me happy, but that is one slippery steep climb. Have done it once, and don't need to do it again. Would take the John Muir trail to the top if I had to do it again....

A few times over the years, Terri's sentimentality has actually trumped her exhaustion, and she has willingly decided to go back on the Mist Trail, sometimes even with an infant or other children. :eek: But a few years ago we realized that we could look down on Vernal Fall, Emerald Pool, and Nevada Fall from Glacier Point, so I doubt that we'll do the Mist Trail again, being happy to relive these memories with a view from far above. (That doesn't mean that I have totally renounced torturous hikes, as you'll see when I get to our day on Oahu. :o )

After taking ten minutes to drive back down from Akaka Falls State Park to the end of Highway 220, I turned left on Highway 19 (going north, away from Hilo), continuing for less than a mile until we reached Old Mamalahoa Highway (which I think was only marked with a simple yellow sideways-T intersection sign), just before the high bridge over Kolekole Stream.

Turning left at the intersection, I wasn't prepared for how quickly I would need to make the sharp right U-turn to enter Kolekole Park, somehow not noticing the little brown park sign (with the usual Hawaiian red-tipped arrow) at the bottom of the short hill. Before I realized what I had done, I had passed the park entrance and crossed the bridge over Kolekole Stream. (Usually, with my wife driving, I can focus better on reading the map and navigating.)

In another mile or so, we were surprised to suddenly emerge from the forest, finding ourselves in a little farming village. Passing by cows and tractors, it seemed that we had suddenly been transported to Kansas (no, I take it back, those palm trees would be out of place in Kansas). Of course at this point I knew that I had gone too far, so I found a place to turn around.

Within minutes we found ourselves back at the entrance to the park, which was much harder to miss from this direction. After parking the car, we walked toward the tall bridge and the surf, as the waters of Kolekole Stream at our left (the same waters which we had just seen churning over Akaka Falls) gently traveled over their last hundred yards to the ocean.

8652170284_8c067a7940.jpg

I had originally been attracted to this park because of the small waterfall which enters the stream here, having read that it was a good place to take a dip (with a rope dangling from a tree near the waterfall being used by some to swing into the water). But this April afternoon was a bit too cool for us to consider getting wet. The surf on the other side of the bridge also looked too rough for us to venture into it. So we just briefly enjoyed the view, imagining the fun we could have had here on a warmer day.

8652166958_b996eebfc4.jpg

We also noticed here that graffiti is even a problem in beautiful Hawaii. But the truth is that no matter where we go, we can always find both ugliness and beauty. It all depends upon where we choose to place our focus.

Heading back to the car, we passed by the sports field at the park, also noticing the campgrounds.

8651065001_9a1d77e8ff.jpg

After spending less than ten minutes at Kolekole Park, we found ourselves back at the entrance sign I had originally missed.

9634277643_26feebe1dd.jpg

Then we made our way back up the short hill to Highway 19, heading back toward Hilo.

About fifteen minutes after leaving Kolekole Park and getting back on Highway 19 south, I noticed the Golden Princess as I looked to my left across the water. Even while being surrounded by such supreme beauty in Hawaii, we were captivated by the sight of our ship.

9634277995_ff9c1907cc.jpg

Experiencing the splendor of Hawaii after such a long time of anticipation almost felt like a dream at times, but somehow seeing the ship reminded us "this is really happening!" When we noticed a scenic viewpoint on the left side of the road near Wainaku, we couldn't resist stopping for a minute to take a quick photo of our ship across the bay.

8651064051_2d95617e6d.jpg

This viewpoint, positioned directly across from the opening to the Hilo Bay breakwater, would be an ideal place to watch ships sailing in (as you probably know by now, that's something we would enjoy).

Watching me take some pictures, a native Hawaiian family standing nearby offered to take a photo of the two of us.

8652162198_6af6dcda49.jpg

(The Golden Princess can be seen in the distance just to the left of the top of Terri's head.)

The family we met here was thoroughly Hawaiian: born on Kauai, raised on Oahu, lived for a while on Maui, and now residing on the Big Island! They told us (as if they were offering a personal apology) that the weather that day was like their winter weather, going on to explain that it could have been much worse: just a week earlier it had been cold and rainy for several days. (We weren't too surprised to hear this, as Terri had been following weather reports for Honolulu during the week before the cruise, telling me several times about reports of flooding.)

Another mile or so down the highway, we turned right on Waianuenue Avenue, entering picturesque downtown Hilo.

9637531958_9f2383dae7.jpg

Our next destination was just a mile or so away: Rainbow Falls.

One place we couldn't miss seeing in Hilo was Rainbow Falls. From the photos I have seen on the Internet, the volume of water spilling over the rock was below average the day we visited, and the water below was unusually muddy. But we chose not to focus on the muddy water, so to us it was still a lovely sight.

8651058235_0aab635271.jpg

8651060543_ef12948fb9.jpg

We were surprised to see people near the top of the waterfall, seeming to be dangerously close to the edge.

8652158894_283077e590.jpg

I hope they were paying attention to the warning signs!

9637591160_07fa0bcb9a.jpg

At the lookout over the falls, a local woman was making a basket out of long narrow leaves for a little girl. We thought about buying one of these baskets for our little girls, but immediately dismissed the idea, assuming that we wouldn't be allowed to bring plant material back on board.

But of course we knew that we could bring back our pictures of the beautiful plants surrounding Rainbow Falls.

9634360691_639eef0dae.jpg

By this time it was about 2 pm, and we hadn't eaten anything since leaving the ship that morning. I had planned for us to enjoy a light Hawaiian lunch by picking up some lavosh at the Rainbow Gift Shop across the street from Rainbow Falls -- but it was closed! A peek inside the windows gave me the impression that the closure was not temporary.

9634353891_c012f9b5d6.jpg

This may have been one of the negative repercussions of planning the cruise so far in advance -- I had decided on details such as this over a year earlier. (I don't know when the Rainbow Gift Shop closed, but if I had re-checked this location a week or two before the cruise, I suspect that I might have been able to save us a little frustration. But this wouldn't be the most serious time I would wish I had re-checked the things we planned to do in Hawaii.)

Seeing no other food options nearby, we were both content to take a little more time exploring the area around Rainbow Falls.