Tacky Central?

helpthejuggler

My goodness, some folks are so darn intolerant. We cruise on many cruise lines (12 to date) and have seen every kind of tacky thing imaginable plus a few more :). But what is the big deal. DW and I never go to any of the tacky games and usually try to find deck chairs in a location that spares us from pool game interruptions. Perhaps Quest is very tacky...but I would have no idea since we have never gone to Quest. It is the same with most other games. Since we tend to dine late (after 8 PM) we normally are eating when a lot of these things are happening. But many passengers do like this silly games (even HA has events like "Animal Toss") and the CD must provide activities to please lots of folks. One nice thing about cruises are that folks can make their own decision on what they want to do or not do...so instead of whining just avoid the things you do not like.

As to the singing waiters, we agree its silly but its also no big deal. It comes at the end of a meal and is a minor annoyance. If we want to avoid that stuff we will sometimes book one of the alternative restaurants when we know they will be doing that stuff.

Perhaps my biggest rant when it comes to activites are MUTS (Movies under the Stars) on most Princess ships. This was originally named "Under the Stars" because they used those big screens (and loud speakers) to show movies in the evening (a good activity and fun). But then they decided to play things on the screen (often with blasting sound) most of the day. Since the screen is locate at the main pool it mean that anyone wanting to just sit quietly near the pool (we like to do this and read) will have their peace and quiet shattered all day long! In some cases there really are no other pools that can be used (on some ships there is another aft pool, but this is often too windy for use) so Princess is not giving folks like us decent options to avoid this invasion on our senses. It is one reason why we have really reduced our Princess cruises and lately go mostly on HA or Celebrity.

Hank

My goodness, some folks are so darn intolerant. We cruise on many cruise lines (12 to date) and have seen every kind of tacky thing imaginable plus a few more :). But what is the big deal. DW and I never go to any of the tacky games and usually try to find deck chairs in a location that spares us from pool game interruptions. Perhaps Quest is very tacky...but I would have no idea since we have never gone to Quest. It is the same with most other games. Since we tend to dine late (after 8 PM) we normally are eating when a lot of these things are happening. But many passengers do like this silly games (even HA has events like "Animal Toss") and the CD must provide activities to please lots of folks. One nice thing about cruises are that folks can make their own decision on what they want to do or not do...so instead of whining just avoid the things you do not like.

As to the singing waiters, we agree its silly but its also no big deal. It comes at the end of a meal and is a minor annoyance. If we want to avoid that stuff we will sometimes book one of the alternative restaurants when we know they will be doing that stuff.

Perhaps my biggest rant when it comes to activites are MUTS (Movies under the Stars) on most Princess ships. This was originally named "Under the Stars" because they used those big screens (and loud speakers) to show movies in the evening (a good activity and fun). But then they decided to play things on the screen (often with blasting sound) most of the day. Since the screen is locate at the main pool it mean that anyone wanting to just sit quietly near the pool (we like to do this and read) will have their peace and quiet shattered all day long! In some cases there really are no other pools that can be used (on some ships there is another aft pool, but this is often too windy for use) so Princess is not giving folks like us decent options to avoid this invasion on our senses. It is one reason why we have really reduced our Princess cruises and lately go mostly on HA or Celebrity.

Hank

Hahaha you started scolding everyone else but you had more things that you try to avoid or don't like than any other poster and even cruise different lines to avoid them. So funny to me. :D

I LOVE tacky and cheesy.

We don't drink but don't call people who do alcoholics. (just making a point)

People, have fun, do what you want. Personally I didn't even know they had a belly flop contest and I can't wait to see it! As long as people volunteer I'm all for it. I am uncomfortable when guests get "roped" into events that they hadn't planned, but that's just me.

I LOVE tacky and cheesy.

We don't drink but don't call people who do alcoholics. (just making a point)

People, have fun, do what you want. Personally I didn't even know they had a belly flop contest and I can't wait to see it! As long as people volunteer I'm all for it. I am uncomfortable when guests get "roped" into events that they hadn't planned, but that's just me.

Some people enjoy the opera, while some enjoy 'Jack-ass' movies. Some prefer the symphony, while others prefer Lady Gaga concerts. As for me, I outgrew my fascination with belly flop or hairy chest contests by the time I graduated from college. I now much prefer soothing, relaxing music around the pool, with a good book in one hand, and a nice cool tropical drink in the other. And I never have to fear being labeled "tacky" by anyone. :D

boogs, I did not know that was an option. can you tell me how to do it. thanks

After you log on, click on the "User CP" pull down menu at the top left of the screen under the Cruise Critic logo. This will take you to your "Control Panel" page. Go about half way down the left column and click on "Edit Options". This will take you to your "Edit Options" page. Go about halfway down the page to the "Thread Display Options" box. Un-check the first box called "Show Signatures".

You will no longer see the endless lists of past and future cruises that only clutter up the thread pages with irrelevant information. What you will now see is a much cleaner appearance with just the content of the postings shown.

If you want to see what an individual poster has in his/her signature, click on their UserID and then on the "View Public Profile" in the drop down menu.

Some people enjoy the opera, while some enjoy 'Jack-ass' movies. Some prefer the symphony, while others prefer Lady Gaga concerts. As for me, I outgrew my fascination with belly flop or hairy chest contests by the time I graduated from college. I now much prefer soothing, relaxing music around the pool, with a good book in one hand, and a nice cool tropical drink in the other. And I never have to fear being labeled "tacky" by anyone. :D

Well considering I'm well over 50 I still love to laugh and find sitting around drinking boring (I don't need a drink to relax). After college I guess I never lost my enjoyment of humor and watching people enjoy themselves. As I said to each his own. Oh and I never fear being labeled tacky because honestly I never care what other people think of me. I'm pretty secure like that, always have been. But I rather be tacky than be labeled boring no matter what my age!

Edited to add that I am one of those women (larger now) and if for some strange reason my bathing suit got ripped off I'd calmly walk out to get my towel and never been embarrassed for a min but find it laughable. My hubby would be mortified...hahaha

Well considering I'm well over 50 I still love to laugh and find sitting around drinking boring (I don't need a drink to relax). After college I guess I never lost my enjoyment of humor and watching people enjoy themselves. As I said to each his own. Oh and I never fear being labeled tacky because honestly I never care what other people think of me. I'm pretty secure like that, always have been. But I rather be tacky than be labeled boring no matter what my age!

Edited to add that I am one of those women (larger now) and if for some strange reason my bathing suit got ripped off I'd calmly walk out to get my towel and never been embarrassed for a min but find it laughable. My hubby would be mortified...hahaha

And you think that enjoying an opera or the symphony means I don't know how to laugh and have a good time? That reading a good book and broadening one's knowledge of the world is boring? Sorry, dear, but you have no idea what real fun can be.

Fun wears many hats. Enjoying lowbrow humor is one, enjoying an exciting passage during a favorite symphony is another. I still ride roller coasters with my grandkids - Walt Disney World is one of my favorite places on the planet. Last week I had great fun on the RocketBoat in San Francisco Bay. I enjoy comedy clubs, have recently had a rollicking good time riding a banana boat in the Caribbean, and even occasionally enjoy riding behind my son on his huge motorcycle. I also enjoy wine tastings, trying new delicacies, visiting exotic locals. So, to set the record straight, I know quite well how to have fun.

However, I do have a modicum of modesty and would not flaunt my nakedness during a wardrobe malfunction. A lady will always defer to her shy side in such a situation, not only for her sake, but out of respect for others.

So, don't tell me that watching hairy chest contests is the definition of fun and that more sophisticated activities are not. That attitude, in my opinion, is the epitome of arrogance. :rolleyes:

And you think that enjoying an opera or the symphony means I don't know how to laugh and have a good time? That reading a good book and broadening one's knowledge of the world is boring? Sorry, dear, but you have no idea what real fun can be.

Fun wears many hats. Enjoying lowbrow humor is one, enjoying an exciting passage during a favorite symphony is another. I still ride roller coasters with my grandkids - Walt Disney World is one of my favorite places on the planet. Last week I had great fun on the RocketBoat in San Francisco Bay. I enjoy comedy clubs, have recently had a rollicking good time riding a banana boat in the Caribbean, and even occasionally enjoy riding behind my son on his huge motorcycle. I also enjoy wine tastings, trying new delicacies, visiting exotic locals. So, to set the record straight, I know quite well how to have fun.

However, I do have a modicum of modesty and would not flaunt my nakedness during a wardrobe malfunction. A lady will always defer to her shy side in such a situation, not only for her sake, but out of respect for others.

So, don't tell me that watching hairy chest contests is the definition of fun and that more sophisticated activities are not. That attitude, in my opinion, is the epitome of arrogance. :rolleyes:

Both are fun! I love reading a book and sipping on a frosty drink in the sun and I can appreciate theatre and art and classical music. But I think that I'd also find the belly flop contest pretty hilarious and I love theme parks and water slides and Lady Gaga etc. I don't think we should be telling each other that 'you don't know what fun is'. One person's fun isn't any better or more valid than someone elses.

The question was what activities on board do you find tacky and many folks have answered. No big deal, and I don't think anyone has stated these activities should not be offered. Of course I am not required to attend the hairy chest contest, and I won't, but I can still think it is tacky.

The tackiest? It was a contest on Carnival where men jumped into the pool filled with ping pong balls, and the winner was the one who could stuff the most ping pongs into his Speedo.

:eek:. in my opinion the tackiest thing ever is the Speedo

The question was what activities on board do you find tacky and many folks have answered. No big deal, and I don't think anyone has stated these activities should not be offered. Of course I am not required to attend the hairy chest contest, and I won't, but I can still think it is tacky.

If you have one sea day and the hairy chest competition is held at the pool and shown on the big screen trust me it's hard to miss it completely even if you want to.

I wonder if such an activity would bring a crowd if it was held instead at a lounge or theatre? They could kill two birds with one stone and have it during Kareoke maybe.;).

If you have one sea day and the hairy chest competition is held at the pool and shown on the big screen trust me it's hard to miss it completely even if you want to.

I wonder if such an activity would bring a crowd if it was held instead at a lounge or theatre? They could kill two birds with one stone and have it during Kareoke maybe.;).

... while having a newly-wed scavenger hunt?

... while having a newly-wed scavenger hunt?

Sure but what would be left for the entertainment staff to do for the rest of the week? Oh wait, perhaps they could be treated just like the featured entertainers and go from ship to ship at each port.:D

Archived